Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes Scam?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I'm a bit miffed at the level grief the OP has received over a valid complaint.

Why can't the Dublin Bikes system commence the year from the first use of the card? From an IT perspective it's perfectly feasible solution.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just got my card yesterday, loving the service so far. I was just wondering, if I have a bike out for say 25mins, and I drop it back to a station, if I come and get another bike 10 minutes or so later will the half an hour free have been reset or is it based on a 24 hour period?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Just got my card yesterday, loving the service so far. I was just wondering, if I have a bike out for say 25mins, and I drop it back to a station, if I come and get another bike 10 minutes or so later will the half an hour free have been reset or is it based on a 24 hour period?

I think its 15minutes but cannot remember precisely. You can definitely get it out a few times a day with no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭28064212

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It's reset. And you have to wait 5 minutes between taking a bike out: http://www.dublinbikes.ie/How-does-it-work/Frequently-Asked-Questions/Stations-and-bikes-dbs#faq2

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Thanks guys, that's great. Can't wait to get back out there and do some exploring :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 skipdeedy

I can't see a new thread button so a post here will have to do.

I think Dublin-bikes are great. But a 2 weeks ago I got a bike from Kings Street with the intention of leaving it over the other side of the city(close to home). My intended station was full, which it is quite often, so i waited like I normally would because more often than not someone one will rent or the lorry will come around and free up spaces. Not this time so I went to the nearest station which, my app said, had free spots. It didn't when I got there. I went to another close by station which was also full. I cycled back by the other 2 full stations and waited a while longer at the station I originally wanted. The whole process took about 40mins in total, (so about 25- 30 mins waiting for the station to free up). In the end I felt I had no choice but to take the bike home which I didn't want to do.
    I dropped the bike of the next morning. I knew I would get a charge but nothing showed up straight away so I though Dublin-bikes were aware of the problem.
    I have since been charged over €40. I have no idea how they worked that out. I had the bike out for 12hrs exactly, which I work out to be €36.50 (free 30mins + €6.50 (4hrs) + €30 (7.5hrs) ). But I refute having to pay this amount anyway.
    I have complained via the contact form on Dublinbikes.ie but all they said in response was that I should have returned the bike to an empty station. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should tackle this?

Hi - just wondering if you ever got anywhere with this complaint? I have just been smacked with a bill for €56 for having to leave a bike overnight in a similar situation. Had to collect kids from creche before it closed so could not wait around for ages or drive off to loads of other stations. I got the kids in the pram and walked with them back to the station again and waited ages but none became free so I had to go home. I'm sorry but €56 for having to leave a bike overnight is pure robbery.

Advertisement