Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What events happened the year you were born.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

when the year of me happened, these were some things that also came about :D

the top selling movie was topgun

the best selling book was stephen kings IT

spain and portugal entered the eu

the video game of the day was arkanoid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

David Koresh and his followers said "Fucck tha police" and had a 50-day shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Woodstock ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Man Utd was relegated in 1974..............As a City fan this makes the year I was born even more special:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

British coal mines are nationalized. Proceedings of the U.S. Congress are televised for the first time. The state of Prussia officially ceases to exist. Kenneth Arnold makes the first widely-reported UFO sighting near Mount Rainier, Washington. Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru suggests the exchange of four million Hindus and Muslims between India and Pakistan. International Telecommunication Union becomes a specialized agency of the United Nations. The Tennessee Williams play A Streetcar Named Desire opens in a Broadway theater. Mikhail Kalashnikov designs the AK-47 assault rifle.

What a load of waffle to get to a bit of actual information. And the rather vague UFO reference was the Roswell Incident!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Jim Morrison of the Doors died; The French Connection won an academy award; South tower of the World Trade Centre was completed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The wheel was invented (by my dad nonetheless):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

The year I was born, no one made others read stuff slowly, word by word, like a retard!

Cool site though, and I read a lot of interesting stuff there, but now I can't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

In 1994, books were still read regularly on paper, apparently.

Imagine that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jan: the Northern Irish Prime Minister meets the Taoiseach for the first time in 43 years.
    Feb: Ranger 8 crashes into the moon
    Mar: The US enters the Vietnam war for the first time
    April: The worlds first space nuclear reactor SNAP-10A launched by the US.
    May: Muhammad Ali knocks out Sonny Liston in the first round of the re-match coined the Phantom Punch.
    June: Australia enters the Vietnam war.
    July: Bob Dylan causes controversy by going electric for the first time.
    Aug: Gemini 5 launched.
    Sept: Tensions rise between Pakistan and India within the borders.
    Oct: Seven Japanese fishing boats are sunk due to Typhoon Carmen, 209 killed.
    Nov: US racer Craig Breedlove breaks the land speed record of 600.601 mph.
    Dec: The UK places an embargo against Rhodesia.

Got a little carried away there, but it was interesting looking through the year I was born.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Things that happened in 1993:
    DOOM
    Jurassic Park
    Schindler's List
    The European single market
    Some guy referenced Y2K
    Nelson Mandela got the Nobel Peace Prize

Advertisement