Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What events happened the year you were born.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

The Terminator happened. Im so proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In 1983, the world was a different place.

There was no Google yet. Or Yahoo. Or Stumbleupon, for that matter.

In 1983, the year of your birth, the top selling movie was Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. People buying the popcorn in the cinema lobby had glazing eyes when looking at the poster.

A seminal moment in the history of our world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Main thing according to that was the release of Top Gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Titanic hit an iceberg? :confused: Well that's news to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I already knew that a world war began that year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

Dotrel wrote: »
    Titanic hit an iceberg? :confused: Well that's news to me!

Did it sink can you remember?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Paulor94

Thats cool! Here's a bit of mine

The 1990s were indeed a special decade. The Nineties saw the beginnings of the World Wide Web, originating at CERN. Email becomes popular. The Soviet Union dissolved. Living standards in East Asia and Europe generally improved. The Cold War ends. Iraqi forces invade Kuwait. A UN coalition force led by the US was sent to the Persian Gulf, and aerial bombing of Iraq began. The Kosovo War took place. The Ethiopian Civil War ends. Dolly, a sheep, is cloned. The Global Positioning System GPS becomes fully operational. Genetically engineered crops are developed for commercial use. Intel develops the Pentium processor. The Java programming language is created. Microsoft released Windows 95. In Los Angeles, riots occur after the police brutality case involving Rodney King. Great Britain hands sovereignty of Hong Kong to China. East Timor breaks away from Indonesian control. US president Bill Clinton was involved in the Lewinsky scandal. Dogme 95 becomes an important artistic movement in European film. Teen soap Beverly Hills 90210 has its long run. Baywatch becomes the most watched show in history. On MTV, reality television makes its beginning. Nelson Mandela is elected president of South Africa. Germany was reunified. The prediction of computer bug Y2K spreads fear.

Best bit? in 1994 there was no google or stumbleupon infact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

94?! Sweet Jesus!
    Im biologically old enough to be your mother!

In 1978 I don't think much happened. Bony M were in the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

We stopped using bronze and started to use iron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Paulor94 wrote: »
    Best bit? in 1994 there was no google or stumbleupon infact.

:eek: Holy crap that makes me feel old.
    Dudess wrote: »

Ah, that's better. Sure I'm still just a young buck so.

Thanks Dudess. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

My parents sex life deteriorated dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I was born in 1988, it was the year of the Dublin Millennium. A 50p piece was made especially for the event. I had one, but lost it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ayatollahs in Iran,
    Russians in Afghanistan

Got that awful song stuck in my head now..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

there was at total elcipse when i was born also a tornado, volcano eruption and tsunami all in one day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

paky wrote: »
    there was at total elcipse when i was born also a tornado, volcano eruption and tsunami all in one day

All normal parts of the birth process

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The wheel was invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Your name isn't Damien by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Paulor94

Dudess wrote: »
    94?! Sweet Jesus!
    Im biologically old enough to be your mother!

If you where you'd be one of those teen moms :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Desire2 wrote: »
    Just type in the year of birth,i found lots of stuff i did not know about mine even from those pay certificates.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2gq2af/whathappenedinmybirthyear.com/

as i was held screaming and spluttering some kind of words and crapping all over myself in 1969 while mother and father were trying to watch the moon landing live, this was 1 major event a couple of days after my birth.

and it's now almost 2012 and i'm still screaming and spluttering and crapping all over myself, wow looking back it's amazing how things have changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Your name isn't Damien by any chance?

funny you should say that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

My birth happened the year I was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

The day Goku went Super Saiyan? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

zenno wrote: »
    as i was held screaming and spluttering some kind of words and crapping all over myself in 1969 while mother and father were trying to watch the moon landing live,

Did you give a small kick or a Giant kick to take your parents attention off the telly and on to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gilldog wrote: »
    The Terminator happened. Im so proud.
    Terminator 2 >
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Desire2 wrote: »
    Did you give a small kick or a Giant kick to take your parents attention off the telly and on to you?

I'm not sure but they said the effort i put into it was akin to a mobile phone vibration, i was that tiny i just vibrated all over them in many ways and they just said here here, heres another drop of whiskey on the sooder lol it done me the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Elvis died :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. And I am immortal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Berlin wall fell down:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Apparently there was no Google or Yahoo in 1976. Rocky was on in the cinema and it caused peoples eyes to glaze over (or something). Books were still on paper rather than electronic devices. DVDs hadn't been invented either and people still went to the cinema. Just imagine. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... it's 1991. There's TV noise coming from the second floor. Someone turned up the volume way too high. The sun is burning from above. These were different times. The show playing on TV is Clarissa Explains it All. The sun goes down. Someone switches channels. There's The Red Green Show on now. That's the world you were born in.

Progress, year after year. Do you wonder where the world is heading towards? The technology available today would have blown your mind in 1991. Do you know what was invented in the year you were born? The Memory Card.

I was watching reruns of Clarissa until about 1997. Doesn't seem like I missed much.

Advertisement