Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I f**king HATE fake christmas trees

Options
  • 03-12-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I have heard all the arguments about artificial trees, more cost effective, easier, no pine needles to clean up etc etc but they actually offend me:mad:

I hate visiting someones house and they have this perfectly symetrical tree that looks too perfect (even more so if it is colour co-ordinated-UGH). I cannot bear to look but am forced to make comments about how pretty it is (through clenched teeth), this is a lie!

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats going and picking your own tree, deciding which is the right size/shape. Battling it into the car with needles everywhere and then dragging through the house (more needles everywhere). The excitment is unreal as you postition it, ohhh and the tension of will it fit.

The smell....oh god the smell, I love sitting in the dark with just the tree lights on, the decorations i made as a kid alongside the decorations my own kids have made...just bliss. This is christmas.

Fake trees=fake christmas:pac:

Please Please if you are considering a fake tree this year, DONT DO IT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

In Soviet Russian, Christmas tree hates you!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Fart wrote: »
    In Soviet Russian, Christmas tree hates you!

meh:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I agree but find choosing one quite stressful as they're never the classic shape that I want.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I agree but find choosing one quite stressful as they're never the classic shape that I want.

That is part of the fun! Much better to have a wonky tree then one that looks to perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

I have a gorgeous dinky little one that goes in front of my fireplace, loves it lots + as its already comes decorated and with lights, goes up in less than 5 mins, no hassle & it sure looks purdy :D

• Advertisement

Sooopie wrote: »
    I have a gorgeous dinky little one that goes in front of my fireplace, loves it lots + as its already comes decorated and with lights, goes up in less than 5 mins, no hassle & it sure looks purdy :D

As you know, something that happens quickly is not necessarily better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Sooopie wrote: »

Goes up in flames you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Cant keep everyone happy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

What an angry OP you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Nah, fake tree all the fecking way!

No mess, it's stable (harder for little people to pull over), right shape, I can adjust it to what height I want!

Apart from the practicalities it just looks nicer. Real trees bring me back to the days of horrible coloured christmas bell shaped lights, tinsel and the fecking thing always being pulled down and my Mam having a fit she had to redecorate the fecking thing!

Now having said that, environmentally a fake tree isn't the best. When you decide to buy a new on, the old tree goes to landfill... still though, not planning on getting a new one for quiet some time!

• Advertisement

What an angry OP you are.

I am sorry... I just feel so strongly about this issue. I even struggle to understand how anyone can think fake is better....

I just like to keep it real:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I have heard all the arguments about artificial trees, more cost effective, easier, no pine needles to clean up etc etc but they actually offend me:mad:

I hate visiting someones house and they have this perfectly symetrical tree that looks too perfect (even more so if it is colour co-ordinated-UGH). I cannot bear to look but am forced to make comments about how pretty it is (through clenched teeth), this is a lie!

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats going and picking your own tree, deciding which is the right size/shape. Battling it into the car with needles everywhere and then dragging through the house (more needles everywhere). The excitment is unreal as you postition it, ohhh and the tension of will it fit.

The smell....oh god the smell, I love sitting in the dark with just the tree lights on, the decorations i made as a kid alongside the decorations my own kids have made...just bliss. This is christmas.

R&R tbh. It's a bit stupid getting your under crackers in a knot over Christmas trees..

I bought one. Ohhh yeahhh. How do ye like them apples?

I am sorry... I just feel so strongly about this issue. I even struggle to understand how anyone can think fake is better....

I just like to keep it real:pac:

Well that's great for you n all, BUT if other people have fake trees don't you think it might be better if you well, eh... minded your own business?

I bought one. Ohhh yeahhh. How do ye like them apples?[/QUOTE]

It saddens me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

A tree is for life.

Not just for Christmas :mad:

Ghandee wrote: »
    A tree is for life.

Not just for Christmas :mad:

I like that! (but disagree!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's a prickly subject for sure but there's no need to bark so loudly about it. What do you think might be the root of all this angst over fake Xmas trees?

I'm going to guess that your Stepmother thrashed you with the branch of a fake Xmas tree as a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Hate is a bit strong but i see where you are coming from.

I love the smell of a real tree when i walk into a house, that's chistmas.

We bought a fake tree this year to replace our last one that we got decades out of. Basically we can't afford to buy a real tree every year, so we have to get a fake one and use it until it literally will not stand anymore.

Given that it's Christmas season, I'd much prefer to try to get into the spirit as best I can by being happy with what I've got rather than have it held against me that I can't experience picking out a smelly wonky tree. I'm sure it's fun, but Christmas is hardly the time to be going around judging people.

Get your tree and roll around in the needles or whatever you want to, but leave other people to what they want/need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I walked passed the Disney store on Grafton Street the other day and I was overcome by the (artificial) smell of a real Christmas Tree. Must get me a can of that spray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

OP is clearly in the christmas tree business.

We bought a fake tree this year to replace our last one that we got decades out of. Basically we can't afford to buy a real tree every year, so we have to get a fake one and use it until it literally will not stand anymore.

Given that it's Christmas season, I'd much prefer to try to get into the spirit as best I can by being happy with what I've got rather than have it held against me that I can't experience picking out a smelly wonky tree. I'm sure it's fun, but Christmas is hardly the time to be going around judging people.

Get your tree and roll around in the needles or whatever you want to, but leave other people to what they want/need to do.

Sorry my opinion offends you, not my intention at all. oh and merry christmas:)

wolf moon wrote: »
    OP is clearly in the christmas tree business.

*GASPS* how did you guess?? no not really but now thinking I may habe missed my calling!

Guill wrote: »
    I love the smell of a real tree when i walk into a house, that's chistmas.

Get a fake and hang a few of these jobbies off it. They could also serve as tasteful, creative, decorative alternatives.

Abi wrote: »
    Get a fake and hang a few of these jobbies off it. They could also serve as tasteful, creative, decorative alternatives.

Or get a real tree.

Guill wrote: »
    Or get a real tree.

And when you're done with using it for a few weeks after it took years to grow, you haul it to the local graveyard the council sets up for them, or hack the shyte out of it out the back.

Because you like the smell.

The diplomatic solution, bring real tree and fake tree lovers together...

The UN has a place around it's table for ya ;)

RachaelVO wrote: »
    The diplomatic solution, bring real tree and fake tree lovers together...

The UN has a place around it's table for ya ;)

Why thank you :pac:

/humble bow

And when you're done with using it for a few weeks after it took years to grow, you haul it to the local graveyard the council sets up for them, or hack the shyte out of it out the back.

Because you like the smell.

Wow, you know me so well.

How about i go tp the 3 acres of Christmas trees planted beside the house, take one. Use it for Christmas, the as wiith the last 5 years trees it gets dried pelletised and burned in the stove. You know so much.................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Some people are allergic to pine needles so have no choice

Personally I think it's cruel to stand a tree in your house and watch it slowly die so I use fake ones.

Advertisement