Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coach to Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I remember travelling from Dublin to Birmingham by coach a few years ago and being stuck beside the coach toilet. I never used the bus between Ireland and mainline Blighty again after that experience:o.

Having said that I think the one and only reason that people still travel by intercity rail in this country is because of the lack of toilets on intercity coaches. Several of my Corkonian relatives point blankly refuse to travel to Dublin by coach even on Friday and Sunday evenings when Bus Éireann is faster and cheaper than Irish Rail.

This Sunday evening I'll be travelling from Cork to Dublin by train even though the bus was around €10 cheaper for me at the time of booking, and I've also no doubt the Bus would have been faster! The reason being, I can now enjoy a few pints in Cork on Sunday afternoon without having to worry about my bladder. Had the bus a toilet, Irish Rail would have lost another customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

Spotted a Dublin Coach sprinter in Limerick today, grabbed this snap as I drive past, best I could do lol

Defo not a Setra!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Armada wrote: »
    Spotted a Dublin Coach sprinter in Limerick today, grabbed this snap as I drive past, best I could do lol

Defo not a Setra!

Defo not a lorra room for Mr Thomas Crappers closet either.....big sigh of relief from Iarnrod Eireann :D ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Defo not a lorra room for Mr Thomas Crappers closet either.....big sigh of relief from Iarnrod Eireann :D ?

Probably a short term solution to keep costs down while numbers are growing but I think it could negatively impact public perception and word of mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Looks like a Merc sprinter to me, a nice Minibus, but a luxury coach it ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I really hope that "pub bus" is only a temporary measure and a proper coach will be deployed.

To be fair I've seen them use three Setra coaches on it as well as this bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

I used one of these coaches from the Red Cow to UL last Sunday.

You'll all be glad to hear there was a toilet on board so I don't want to hear any more complaints about that. WiFi was excellent too.

It's a fantastic service, it got me down for €10 in less than 2 hours, compared to the almost 4 hours which Kavanaghs takes.

The Red Cow stop is fantastic as it means people like me can use the M50 to get a lift to the bus instead of having to make the nasty journey into the city, this increases the catchment area of the bus drastically.

I'd personally pay 50% more than what they're charging for this service, streets ahead of all competition.

Does anyone know how much a same day return ticket is?
    No mention of it on their website.

Also, they have the following:

Travel within Zone 1 €10
    Travel within Zone 2 €5
    Travel between Zones 1 & 2 €10

Zone 1:
    Limerick City (Arthur’s Quay) University of Limerick Annacotty

ZONE2: Kildare Village Red Cow LUAS Dublin City (Westmoreland St)

Does this mean Limerick to Westmoreland St is €10 one way or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Travel within Zone 1 €10
    Travel within Zone 2 €5

Zone 1:

€ 10 one way and € 20 return.

• Advertisement

There is only one coach of the five that has a toilet, the 2010 registered one.

They have at least two Mercedes Sprinter minibuses going around, one in Green and one in plain white. They're nowhere near adequate for such a journey so hopefully a short term measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Travel within Zone 1 €10
    Travel within Zone 2 €5

Zone 1:

So going to Annacotty from the City Centre costs the same as going to Westmorland Street? Who figured out that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

So going to Annacotty from the City Centre costs the same as going to Westmorland Street? Who figured out that price?

They probably just don't want the "hassle" of carrying such passengers I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gingerno1

Does anyone know if i could get the luas from the Red Cow stop to Dundrum or would i have to continue into town. Tried Luas.ie but im a bit on the blonde side so couldnt follow it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gingerno1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if i could get the luas from the Red Cow stop to Dundrum or would i have to continue into town. Tried Luas.ie but im a bit on the blonde side so couldnt follow it.

Wrong line. You'd need to get the (Red) Luas in to the city, walk to the other (Green) line, and get it.

Probably quicker and definitely easier to stay on the bus to the city and then get the Green Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As MYOB says, wrong line.

You do have a few options though:

1) Red Line LUAS from Red Cow to Tallaght and 75 bus to Dundrum.
    2) Dublin Coach to Westmoreland Street and 44 or 61 bus from Townsend Street or (longer journey time but more frequent) 14 bus from D'Olier Street to Dundrum.
    3) Dublin Coach to Westmoreland Street and walk to St Stephen's Green and Green Line LUAS to Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gingerno1

Thanks a mil. Going to take advantage of this new service, 20 euros return, not bad. Will go for the option 3. Might as well stay on the coach and go straight into town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Defo not a Setra!
    This mini-coach could just be used for ferrying drivers and staff around the country? and also for some advertising if left parked around limerick.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It was actually in service but they are hiring coaches in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eleP

Got this service to Limerick twice now and both times I found the service to be prompt and reliable. Its well worth the ten euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 deemol1

Does anyone know where the UL stop is?

deemol1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the UL stop is?

In front of the car park between the student courtyard and the Schroedinger building, where the city and kavanaghas buses all pull up

In front of the car park between the student courtyard and the Schroedinger building, where the city and kavanaghas buses all pull up

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Anyone know exactly where the Kildare Village pick-up point is?

Hey got the bus last Saturday great service, it picks up on the main road outside Kildare Village between the roundabout to go into Kildare village and the roundabout to go out onto the M7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Thanks deemol1

Got this today... Wifi didn't seem to work for me at all and the driver was constantly fiddling with stuff, including his phone, twice, on the motorway! Dangerous or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Got this today... Wifi didn't seem to work for me at all and the driver was constantly fiddling with stuff, including his phone, twice, on the motorway! Dangerous or what?

Unusually for this Operator,I've noticed a significant fall off in standards,particularly in the City Centre.

This evening for example,the Driver of the DublinCoach decided to embark his passengers,along with their significant luggage,whilst sitting in the second lane on Westmoreland Street,outside an already parked Aircoach.

Mr O Sullivan will be more than acutely aware of the hugely increased risk associated with this....It has to stop.

However given that somebody in the NTA/Garda/DCC decided it was acceptable to insert another long-dwell service into an already overloaded location,I'm confident that in the event of a serious accident this individual will have signed enough documentation to render themselves liable for criminal charges....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This evening for example,the Driver of the DublinCoach decided to embark his passengers,along with their significant luggage,whilst sitting in the second lane on Westmoreland Street,outside an already parked Aircoach.

In fairness when it comes to road safety that just takes the biscuit! If I were waiting at that stop I'd have told everybody to wait on the footpath by the bus stop until he parked properly... He'd have to do it or else there'd be no fares :p

Mr O Sullivan will be more than acutely aware of the hugely increased risk associated with this....It has to stop.

Is that the guy that owns Dublin Coach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

Does anybody know how to reach the airport? Do I have to change at Red Cow? Does each bus wait for the other one to make the change possible?

Thanks!

Advertisement