Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues at school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Ghostx wrote: »
    Oh they do. Some people even have matches to play with the school team, and training etc.. but according to this teacher 'School punishments are a number 1 priority. They come before your social life, and your sports life and everything else'. So he's not letting them train, or play in the matches if it's interfering with the detention.

He said today 'I don't care if you have a bus to catch, you're staying here for detention. If somebody needs a lift home, I'll give it to them or another teacher will, but I can tell you one thing, you're not getting off detention just because you might miss a lift home'.

Sounds like someones ego is getting the better of them, that is absolutely ridiculous!

For a start people pay good money to get school buses home or their parents have to collect them and fit their own day around that, suggesting that he or another teacher would bring them home is ridiculous and probably not even allowed!

What do the football coaches have to say about it? Surely more parents will get involved apart from your own, the principal should have knocked it on the head by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Ms Minnie Mouse

Strictly speaking, anyone who knows who the culprit is is an accessory...

..It's really frustrating, I appreciate that. Back through the mists of time, when I was at secondary school, I remember being given class detention because of something someone else did. Generally everyone towed the line afterwards though because nobody wanted to give the slightest excuse for it to happen again.

Of course, I was never involved. I've always been perfect ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Ghostx

Tayla wrote: »
    Sounds like someones ego is getting the better of them, that is absolutely ridiculous!

For a start people pay good money to get school buses home or their parents have to collect them and fit their own day around that, suggesting that he or another teacher would bring them home is ridiculous and probably not even allowed!

What do the football coaches have to say about it?

Starting next week, I'll have to collect my 8 year old sister every day after school, and if I have to stay back every day then my parents will have to pay a babysitter to collect my sister and mind her until I'm home, which is why I need this situation resolved.
    Well, the teacher who's giving the detention is one of the rugby coaches, which is the main sport.

Strictly speaking, anyone who knows who the culprit is is an accessory...

No they're not, it's a school, they're not criminals.

Kids have enough to be worrying about without being forced to tell on their schoolmates, they might be worried about being known as a telltale. It's not fair on teachers to expect students to 'rat' on their peers.

Do you mind me asking what the average age of your class is?

Rugby coaches are scary :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,562 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He said today 'I don't care if you have a bus to catch, you're staying here for detention. If somebody needs a lift home, I'll give it to them or another teacher will, but I can tell you one thing, you're not getting off detention just because you might miss a lift home'.

Fcuk that sh1t:pac: I personally would have walked out if the same situation occured when I was in secondary school and I know 90% of my year would have done the same. That's utter bs.

Do you mind me asking what the average age of your class is?

Rugby coaches are scary :S

Average age would be 16 I guess and there's about 25 in the class.

Starting next week, I'll have to collect my 8 year old sister every day after school, and if I have to stay back every day then my parents will have to pay a babysitter to collect my sister and mind her until I'm home, which is why I need this situation resolved.

Hopefully your parents will sort this with the teacher on Monday, I'd suggest that they already have a letter written out to give to the principal on Monday just incase the principal will not back down.

Just something about the fact that you need to leave at whatever time as you have duties outside your normal school hours.
    Well, the teacher who's giving the detention is one of the rugby coaches, which is the main sport.

Sorry I didn't necessarily mean football, it's just it's all that's mentioned in this house!!

Tayla, I see the point you're making - but teachers have a right to be respected by their pupils. They are there to learn, not text message! If the school has a policy, or rule, that mobile phones are not permitted in classrooms or must at least be on silent and this rule is broken - how would you resolve the situation if you were that teacher? Would you let your pupils break the rules and show you complete disregard? We all have a right to be respected, no matter what job we do. However, earning respect works both ways.

Tayla, I see the point you're making - but teachers have a right to be respected by their pupils. They are there to learn, not text message! If the school has a policy, or rule, that mobile phones are not permitted in classrooms or must at least be on silent and this rule is broken - how would you resolve the situation if you were that teacher? Would you let your pupils break the rules and show you complete disregard? We all have a right to be respected, no matter what job we do. However, earning respect works both ways.

It was only one person who broke the rules though, the teacher has made their point and should not be allowed to punish everyone else.

• Advertisement

Yeah sure, a teacher deserves respect, and you get respect by disciplining people who are out of line. But, he is taking the situation way too far, and I'm sure that you agree with that, even if you only agree a tiny bit.
    What he's doing isn't earning him respect, it's just going to get him labelled as a 'prick' (excuse the language).
    As for phones in class, it was first class so it could have been a genuine accident. I'm sure you've went somewhere in the morning and completely forgot to turn your phone off or on silent. The noise could have been something as simple as a battery low notification. There's nothing to tie it down to somebody texting in class.

You still haven't said how you WOULD have dealt with the situation if you were the teacher.

So everyone has received equal punishment - therefore the person who WAS at fault has, actually, broken even and not suffered any more than anyone else. He (the person with the mobile) has just proved to be a coward who'd happily let the rest of his classmates suffer so he doesn't have to take the blame. I actually believe that his classmates don't know who he is, as he'd probably be identifiable by the black eyes (joke...I am in no way advocating violence!)!

I didn't cause the economic crisis - so why do I have to go without pay rises for 6 years, pay more tax and cut back on what little luxuries I had - whilst trying to support two young children on one wage?

My guess is that by Monday it'll all be over anyway. I'd also wager that pupils will be EXTRA careful to ensure phones are on silent/off before class! Lesson learned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A few options off the top of my head which I'd have probably tried a few years ago if this crap was happening to em.

1. Get a note every day from your parents saying you need to leave at 3:55 for various appointments.

2. If you could get your entire class to agree, go to the detention, wait 2 minutes, and then walk out. I highly doubt they school wants to suspend 25 of their students in one go.

3. Get your parents to raise the issue with the principal. Get them to point out to him/her that since even the teacher agrees that it couldn't have been you (going by the fact you were at front right, phone at back left) and that it is really important that you leave school at 4 to collect your sister.

4. Get the entire class to refuse to do any work for this teacher. Turn up to class, but don't acknowledge the teacher's existence.

No.3 is probably the best option.

And I get that teacher's need to be respected, but at the same time they need to respect their students. If he has narrowed down the rough area from where the noise came from, then only keep those students back. More pressure then for someone to own up since there's a high likelihood that a few of those will know who it is.

Ghostx - I do see your point and to some extent I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I mean, I'm p*ssed off that the allowable list of foods for my primary school kids is so limited - so I do agree, some rules suck. You also have to remember that I left school around the year you were born and mobile phones were NOT part of general life back then, so my understanding of the need to have one in class is fairly limited, when we had to make do with the school payphone at lunchtimes!

However, on the other hand, if I put myself in your teacher's shoes, I'd have been highly irritated as well had my lesson been interrupted by a mobile phone that should have been off. You can be assured that he doesn't have an easy job in the first place and lack of respect, in any profession, does not go down well.

p.s. even in the office where I work, phones have to be on silent, so it isn't just a silly school rule...

Ghostx - I do see your point and to some extent I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I mean, I'm p*ssed off that the allowable list of foods for my primary school kids is so limited - so I do agree, some rules suck. You also have to remember that I left school around the year you were born and mobile phones were NOT part of general life back then, so my understanding of the need to have one in class is fairly limited, when we had to make do with the school payphone at lunchtimes!

However, on the other hand, if I put myself in your teacher's shoes, I'd have been highly irritated as well had my lesson been interrupted by a mobile phone that should have been off. You can be assured that he doesn't have an easy job in the first place and lack of respect, in any profession, does not go down well.

p.s. even in the office where I work, phones have to be on silent, so it isn't just a silly school rule...

We show the teacher respect during school, and we have a laugh with him.

All this is because of one person not having the balls to own up to something small, which has now escalated into something big. The person whose phone it was, probably respects the teacher too, but it's not exactly easy to own up to something. Especially at this stage of it, because if the person owns up now, they'll have to deal with the teacher, and 20+ other pissed off students.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's funny, there were two general categories of teachers in our school. Both dealt with mobile phones differently.

Those that could control the class:
    *phone noises*
    "Right, put it on silent now, if it goes off again, you can go to the office."
    *moves on with lesson, approx 5 seconds taken up*

Those that couldn't control the class:
    *phone noises*
    "Right!! Who was that? Come on, give it here!"
    *confiscates phone*
    *argument between teacher and pupil*
    *moves on with lesson, approx 2 minutes lost, plus a reputation as being a prick for the teacher.*

One guess as to the group of teachers above that were the best at their job and ended up with the best average grades in the LC, plus actually being as close to friends as you can be with your teachers....

If it was the first class of the day, I really think this teacher needs to cop on. Seriously, if he'd said "Right, put it on silent" and just moved on, he get far more respect from his students than what he'll get now by "disciplining" them like this. Guaranteed, there'll be an atmosphere of resentment in the class from now on, and you're gonna be less likely to put in effort for a teacher who you think is a complete arsehole.

So based on what you're saying, this is obviously the first time this has happened with this particular teacher then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What is the punishment for having a phone? Have you all not done the time at this stage?

MagicSean wrote: »
    What is the punishment for having a phone? Have you all not done the time at this stage?

Punishment in my school is usually it gets taken off you for a week. That's only if the teacher is in a really bad mood. Usually they will just tell you to turn it off.
    Never heard of anybody getting a detention for having a phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Punishment in my school is usually it gets taken off you for a week. That's only if the teacher is in a really bad mood. Usually they will just tell you to turn it off.

Just give them your phone for a week and enjoy your freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

MagicSean wrote: »
    What's in the school policy is the better question?

You still haven't said how you WOULD have dealt with the situation if you were the teacher.

I just wrote a quick answer because I had to go to watch the toyshow :) What would I have done? Well I wouldn't have punished the whole class as a result of one person leaving their phone on and therefore what could I have done? I wouldn't have done anything except for warn the students.
    He (the person with the mobile) has just proved to be a coward who'd happily let the rest of his classmates suffer so he doesn't have to take the blame.

The person who owned the phone may be a coward but the teacher is coming across very badly too, he doesn't care whether people have buses to catch etc.

My guess is that by Monday it'll all be over anyway. I'd also wager that pupils will be EXTRA careful to ensure phones are on silent/off before class! Lesson learned.

The problem is that the teacher has given the students the impression that this is going to continue to go on, this is now causing the OP and her parents to be stressed over the situation, they have to take time out to go in to see the principal and now make plans for what to do with their other daughter if the OP is in school and can't collect her sister, they will have to be stressed all weekend about this.

There are always situations in life where people want to punish someone and don't know who the culprit is but you just have to get on with it. It seems to me that the teacher is abusing his power in this case.

Tayla wrote: »
    I just wrote a quick answer because I had to go to watch the toyshow :)

The person who owned the phone may be a coward but the teacher is coming across very badly too, he doesn't care whether people have buses to catch etc.

The problem is that the teacher has given the students the impression that this is going to continue to go on, this is now causing the OP and her parents to be stressed out, they have to take time out to go in to see the principal and now make plans for what to do with their other daughter if the OP is in school and can't collect her sister, they will have to be stressed all weekend about this.

Op is a guy ;D
    Also, this teacher will continue. He's like that.

I just can't get used to Ryan doing the Toy Show - although I have to say I find him better than Pat! My two were in bed at 7.30 though so missed the whole thing. I'm making do with late night chocolate so apologies if I type with my mouth full :)

Maybe the teacher appears that he doesn't care about buses - but it might have come across that one of his students didn't actually care about his lesson.

I am positive that a letter from the parents to the teacher on Monday will do the trick. I would have offered to do the school run myself if I was wrong but Dublin to Limerick would have been a bit difficult...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I had a teacher like that in my school. he kept us all behind because someone wouldn't admit something (forget what it was, throwing a paper plane or something)... well after a couple of hours I said that I had to go, as I lived out of town and would miss the last bus. so he said I could go, but everyone else had to stay until he found the culprit.

There were more kids complaining that I was allowed to go, to which the teacher replied that it wasn't likely to have been me anyway.

I don't know why to this day, but there and then at the door, I admitted to being the culprit, even though I wasn't. everyone was allowed to go home, and he was so embarrassed about the situation that he just let me go after a minute.

I don't like teachers/lecturers/bosses who try to turn friends against one another. it's a form of bullying from someone who should know better.

Turn the tables on him and admit it, if you're lucky you might get an I'm Spartacus moment, if not, you'll take the fall, but earn a bit of respect for doing so.

Op is a guy ;D
    Also, this teacher will continue. He's like that.

Oops sorry :)
    I just can't get used to Ryan doing the Toy Show - although I have to say I find him better than Pat! My two were in bed at 7.30 though so missed the whole thing. I'm making do with late night chocolate so apologies if I type with my mouth full :)

I actually think he's pretty good with kids, the show was good this year! Pat was terrible, he used to kick the toys around when they wouldn't work :D sorry to derail your thread OP.

I am positive that a letter from the parents to the teacher on Monday will do the trick. I would have offered to do the school run myself if I was wrong but Dublin to Limerick would have been a bit difficult...!

Yea hopefully you're right! It's a pet hate of mine when teachers act like that, I was on the receiving end of a lot of it myself when I was younger which didn't help when I had undiagnosed social anxiety and I only really had my year head on my side so these type of stories just get to me.

I also find it a bit strange that the principal is involved at this stage and that he wouldn't have at least changed the detention to lunch time so that it doesn't affect pupils travelling home. What about kids that have to walk home? It's pretty dark these days at 5pm.

Spacedog wrote: »

I don't like teachers/lecturers/bosses who try to turn friends against one another. it's a form of bullying from someone who should know better.

That was the point I was trying to make but couldn't find the words to phrase it, spot on!

Whistleblowing amongst professional adults is still considered by many to be a no go but teachers try to force kids who are just trying to fit in to tell on their friends and classmates.

I'll watch it when my kids are awake!

As regards 'after schools' as we used to call them - I guess things were a lot different 16-20 years ago. They were just a matter of course for us.

I've just frightened myself with how old I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

I mean IMO someone broke the rules. A strict rule is phones not being allowed in school. Someone broke the rule, someone is being disrespectful to your teacher so yes i do believe punishment is necessary.

Maybe Not to the extremes now but punishment is necessary imo. Also I don't believe for one minute that no one knows who the culprit is of course people do but by not owning up the teacher gets all the flack and the student goes unpunished for their crime.

Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

why should the punishment depend on the teachers mood? That is an abuse of authority.

Advertisement