Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisps with sandwiches et al in cafés.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

La Croissanterie do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

hmph.. empty. who et al

damn, they were hard to resist
    did you et al my crisps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

stovelid wrote: »
    Is LadyGardener a reference to pubic hair trimming?

tbh thats what I first thought when I read it, but she's probably just a gardener for real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

It was an American thing that made its way over here. Usually stateside they'd give you the option of an apple instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I play poker in the pub on Thursdays and there's this damn chipper up the road called Lennox's (famous Cork chipper). The smell of chipper floats down the street and straight in to your snoztrils making the mouth water at the thought of hot chips and stuff.

I have to mentally promise myself a crisp samwidge when I get home to override the chipper reflex. So I often have a crisp sandwich on a Thursday night.

Ah-I-won't-have-any-crack-I'll-just-have-a-bit-of-cocaine, kinda thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I play poker in the pub on Thursdays and there's this damn chipper up the road called Lennox's (famous Cork chipper). The smell of chipper floats down the street and straight in to your snoztrils making the mouth water at the thought of hot chips and stuff.

I have to mentally promise myself a crisp samwidge when I get home to override the chipper reflex. So I often have a crisp sandwich on a Thursday night.

Ah-I-won't-have-any-crack-I'll-just-have-a-bit-of-cocaine, kinda thing.

Once I got to the bit about you living in Cork, I read the rest in a Cork accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Once I got to the bit about you living in Cork, I read the rest in a Cork accent.

Lol. I don't have a Cork accent though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Lol. I don't have a Cork accent though. ;)

for instance my pal from around here moved down to cork to be with his mam. Who did likewise..

Just one of the many avenues how this can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You still buy sandwiches in cafes? And you're giving out about celtic tiger spending?

Oh no somebody is buying a sandwich...heavens no :eek::eek::eek: Has the world gone mad?!!

I think 3 beds going for nearly a million is the real Celtic Tiger spending. Not a few people heading for a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

This seemed to be the done thing during the boom years. You'd get your sandwich or wrap and there'd be some crinkle-cut crisps chucked on the side. I haven't experienced it for a while now, and am quite glad about that because, damn, they were hard to resist, and it could transform a healthy-ish meal to a downright crappy one (though some sandwiches were, and still are farcical in size). I took to asking for them not to put any on my plate. Ireland generally got fatter during the "Tiger" years and I think it's little things like this that didn't help matters.

Does this still happen anywhere? Is there anything else you can think of that has died out in the post-boom years? And is it a good thing?

McDonald's cafes do it. I'VE SEEN THEM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This seemed to be the done thing during the boom years. You'd get your sandwich or wrap and there'd be some crinkle-cut crisps chucked on the side. I haven't experienced it for a while now, and am quite glad about that because, damn, they were hard to resist, and it could transform a healthy-ish meal to a downright crappy one (though some sandwiches were, and still are farcical in size). I took to asking for them not to put any on my plate. Ireland generally got fatter during the "Tiger" years and I think it's little things like this that didn't help matters.

Does this still happen anywhere? Is there anything else you can think of that has died out in the post-boom years? And is it a good thing?

lol sandwiches arent healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

bluewolf wrote: »

Lies and falsities!
    A plague on both your houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Oh no somebody is buying a sandwich...heavens no :eek::eek::eek: Has the world gone mad?!!

I think 3 beds going for nearly a million is the real Celtic Tiger spending. Not a few people heading for a sandwich.

You don't find spending upwards of five euro on two slices of bread and a slice of ham/cheese/whatever mad? Personally I find it more crazy than a half a million three bed, at least that was the market value at the time, you could buy the ingredients for a weeks worth of sandwiches in the supermarket and have change left over out of the price of one in a cafe and yet still people bought them out. Pointlessly throwing money down the drain like that is real celtic tiger spending, and a true indication of how flippant the average person was when it came to money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

O'briens still do this.
    And before anyone gives out to me for buying my lunch and unhealthy sammiches, I get a discount on em where I work and get wholegrain bread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Depends what's in them, surely?
    You don't find spending upwards of five euro on two slices of bread and a slice of ham/cheese/whatever mad? Personally I find it more crazy than a half a million three bed, at least that was the market value at the time, you could buy the ingredients for a weeks worth of sandwiches in the supermarket and have change left over out of the price of one in a cafe and yet still people bought them out. Pointlessly throwing money down the drain like that is real celtic tiger spending, and a true indication of how flippant the average person was when it came to money.

All sandwiches are in and around five euro, so that would be their market value too. Also, they don't seem to be operating in a bubble-type market like with housing, so if you really do believe that sandwiches for a fiver is more mad than a property bubble, well... there's little that can be done there. "Pointlessly throwing money down the drain" would surely apply to a property bubble than having a sandwich that's freshly made?

If people are still in jobs, then why wouldn't they continue as they have done before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

[

Wholemeal with natty peanut butter is tasty though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Wholemeal bread with some good butter along with ham, lettuce and coleslaw is very healthy for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a pretty stupid statement. Sandwiches can be healthy.

Advertisement