Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisps with sandwiches et al in cafés.

Options
  • 01-12-2011 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

This seemed to be the done thing during the boom years. You'd get your sandwich or wrap and there'd be some crinkle-cut crisps chucked on the side. I haven't experienced it for a while now, and am quite glad about that because, damn, they were hard to resist, and it could transform a healthy-ish meal to a downright crappy one (though some sandwiches were, and still are farcical in size). I took to asking for them not to put any on my plate. Ireland generally got fatter during the "Tiger" years and I think it's little things like this that didn't help matters.

Does this still happen anywhere? Is there anything else you can think of that has died out in the post-boom years? And is it a good thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Interesting question:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

yeah, really annoyed me that, esp if Pringles (impossible to resist.)

another (of many) bonus of dead tigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Is there anything else you can think of that has died out in the post-boom years? And is it a good thing?

Bertie and yes, it's fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Still happens at my work canteen, but we're the public sector and we're still all millionaires ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Does this still happen anywhere?

yes i do it at home ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

I think the crisps made the sandwich seem like good value at 8 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What? Sandwiches instead of pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I fúcking hate getting crisps on a plate like that. I didn't ask for them, I won't eat them and they could charge me less for the sandwich if they stopped wasting crisps on every plate like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I make my own lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 LadyGardener

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Interesting question:rolleyes:

And it elicited an interesting response!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

I used to like the addition of crisps at the side of the sambo. What really p1ssed me off though is if any part of these crisps touched off the scouldy dressing on the excuse for a salad also on the side. Soggy soft crisps make me mad :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I fúcking hate getting crisps on a plate like that. I didn't ask for them, I won't eat them and they could charge me less for the sandwich if they stopped wasting crisps on every plate like that.
    First world problem right there. People giving you extra food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

This is giving me the urge to make a cut loaf real butter tayto sandwich mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    First world problem right there. People giving you extra food.

Well, yes, this genuinely IS a first world problem. As the wealth of a country grows, obesity tends to increase. There is such a thing as TOO much food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Freshly baked roll + butter + cheese and onion crisps (Tayto or King, whichever) = Lots of mmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You still buy sandwiches in cafes? And you're giving out about celtic tiger spending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Well, yes, this genuinely IS a first world problem. As the wealth of a country grows, obesity tends to increase. There is such a thing as TOO much food.

Get out with your facts!

they used to put like 7 crisps on your plate in the sandwich bars... 7 fking crisps. not worth even considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yeah but no one puts a gun to your head demanding you eat the crisps. If you get fat because you eat too much its of your own doing. Sucks to be you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

True story...they're catering crisps...and they're delicious. Can't be bought by mere mortals like you and me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Somebody used the expression 'et al' in an AH Thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Sucks to be you.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Freshly baked roll + butter + cheese and onion crisps (Tayto or King, whichever) = Lots of mmm....

Add a few slices of bananna and then you are in business...

Yeah but no one puts a gun to your head demanding you eat the crisps. If you get fat because you eat too much its of your own doing. Sucks to be you.

Yikes! Relax. This thread is based on a general observation, there is no need to be a dick.

I'm not fat BTW.
    You still buy sandwiches in cafes? And you're giving out about celtic tiger spending?

Only occasionally. Usually make my own lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They still do it in the dive I eat in every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I'm not fat BTW.

We'll be the judges of that. You know the drill, make with the pics or....

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The tasty crisps, with all the salt, were probably more healthier than the sandwich of processed meat you ate.

Sweaty ham from a sealed pack in a sandwich, you can't bate it

The tasty crisps, with all the salt, were probably more healthier than the sandwich of processed meat you ate.

Sweaty ham from a sealed pack in a sandwich, you can't bate it

That's if you eat ham sandwiches.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't say crisps are healthier as such, I say there's not much in it between white processed bread and crisps. The crisps are just superfluous, is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Is LadyGardener a reference to pubic hair trimming?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Still done in a few places I know locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Add a few slices of bananna and then you are in business...

Ewwww.....!!! :eek:
    What is wrong with you man??!!
    That is just wrong.

Advertisement