Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you look for in a Good pub?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Good friendly lively not too busy atmosphere. Nice music and good craic and enjoy the company. I like a pub that serves more than a few types of drinks though. I like variety in that sense and a good choice and selection of drinks behind the bar.

Late bar or traditional pub be my cup of tea or something in between.

Like tv there to watch the sport or have a live dj or band play.

Munchies wouldn't matter to me though. Decent crowd around not too quiet but not too cramped either.

Just somewhere that has a buzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

One thing I appreciate is toilet paper in the bathrooms. And soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Somewhere that doesnt have toilet attendants.
    Decent atmosphere, warm (suprising amount of freezing pubs about), music not too loud but not so low you have to strain to hear it, decent choice of wines/a barman that knows the difference between them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

No TV, no SKY Sports, No blastings radios and more than same 5 mega piss bears on tap.

Somewhere to sit alone in peace and read a book.

In otherwords 99.9999% of Irish pubs I can't go into anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

df1985 wrote: »
    comfortable seats, "homely" i suppose- I hate the cold chrome plastic ikea pubs that opened up in the last few years.

I hate chrome in pubs. As much wood as possible please.

Also TV's have ruined a lot of pubs in Ireland. Here in England, it's a lot harder to find a pub to watch Premier league matches than it is in Ireland. That can't be right. Not that I don't watch football but I know there's certain pubs that will show it, and rightly, most of the others don't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Any sort of a decent enough pub, with NONE of the previous posters in it, or outside it either IMG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

One thing I appreciate is toilet paper in the bathrooms. And soap.
    You might as well have a bath while you are in there :confused: Why do so many people call a toilet a bathroom? Wait a minute why don't they put a Jacuzzi room in the pub. Have a few blonde bombshells in it and invite the customers in as well while the barman brings them drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Green

Barman who knows how to lie when OH rings looking for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

No tvs or piped music.

Topless barmaids.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Geoffs in Waterford is my favourite pub. It's cosy but spacious, with a decent outside area. Nice, homey decor, lots of wood, decent selection of beers, and a nice tomato soup. Love the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

You might as well have a bath while you are in there :confused: Why do so many people call a toilet a bathroom? Wait a minute why don't they put a Jacuzzi room in the pub. Have a few blonde bombshells in it and invite the customers in as well while the barman brings them drink :)

Woah buddy calm down! It's just out of habit! I don't really like the imagery of 'toilet' when I'm having a pint so I say bathroom, or ladies'.

Dim lighting is nice, cozy seats, no loud music, a nice seating area outside are also all pluses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

No TV, no SKY Sports, No blastings radios and more than same 5 mega piss bears on tap.

Somewhere to sit alone in peace and read a book.

In otherwords 99.9999% of Irish pubs I can't go into anymore.

I think I might have an idea for you, I like to read and drink together in peace...... I,m going to the local library with a few cans later.You're welcome to join me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

My very own Bobs bar back home in Kanturk, has nice food, drink, friendly, calm, cosy atmosphere throughout the day and wifi. Cant beat Lynes Pub in Cecilstown, the staff ive known since school would lift anyones mood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The low volume of music is a must. I want to be able to hear myself think.

As for no TVs, I actually don't know any pub that doesn't have a tv.

Solid furniture, not artsy fartsy ikea furniture.

Lighting should be normal, natural, not multicoloured.

Most importantly, nice pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

A bar man on boards while at work wondering why he has only two customers...........

Its very very hard to say what works in a pub, some total shambles of bars are the best take for example teffes in galway. The decor in that pub is rundown and the athmosphere benifits from that, you couldnt sy that the front is eye catching either, but it just works. But that a lot to do with galway citys reputation and its location in one of the key elements.

The salthouse in galway is doing a roaring trade because its easy to fill thus get an athmosphere and its drink selection is something diferent and still competatinve on price and quality, surpassing what the regular pub offers on many ocasions. Also the lack of loud music, its the best conversation pub i have been into in a long time.

Late bars with loud music do work for sure, many people like to dance.

Its not very hard to say what will not work in a pub. Poor seating, is an issue also having seating that blocks any of the three most important points in a bar, the door, the bar counter and the toilets. I'm not saying to have a counter without seating but do make a coprimise so that people are not leaning over people when they are trying to have a pint.

Poor quality draught and lack of cold bottle beer. bars can not serve warm glasses. Poor pulling of draught. Untidy poorly maintained and unsanitised toilets! lack of cubicles. Dirty bar counters, bild up of glasses on tables. unattentiave and over attentive staff.
    Finally a barperson who seems disinterested in having a conversation (have read the paper), always say thankyou when somebody leaves your bar. and never be on the internet or reading the paper when you have customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A round table, and if there's music, no chart sh1t and not loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

KittyKat wrote: »
    My very own Bobs bar back home in Kanturk, has nice food, drink, friendly, calm, cosy atmosphere throughout the day and wifi. Cant beat Lynes Pub in Cecilstown, the staff ive known since school would lift anyones mood. :)
    You don't remember the lower bar in cecilstown by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A good pub to me is being able to take over the pool table & jukebox and get phissed to some good thunes.

Also, it can't be wedged and take me the better part of 3 days to order a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Crocodile Dundee II on the telly.

Advertisement