Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

I would stay well clear of these, they have no heat sync and that cause’s problems.

We did tests on about 25-30 of this type of lamp and after 1000 hours the light output drops by about 50%.

I have not tested these particular 3.6W lamps but I would very much doubt they come close to a 50W equivalent.

If you haven't tested these particular models how can you be sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Jemmy wrote: »
    Thanks for that Ted1, the bulbs we were looking at were:

3.6W bulbs I was going to go for: http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/107-60-smd-gu10.html

4.5W alternatives: http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/121-24-smd-gu10.html

I'd get the 4w Philips ones If I were you. If you read through the thread you'll see that nearly everyone recommends them. I have about 90 of them in my house and very happy with them. They give good warm light but are not 50W replacements, nor do they claim to be. The single LED in the Philips also looks better than the cluster LED.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

pipsdad wrote: »
    If you haven't tested these particular models how can you be sure?

First let me say, I never said I was sure.

Now read the first line of my post. No heat sync causes problems.That is a fact.

It is very possible we have tested these lamps but not as this brand. From our experience most of these lamps come out of the same factories, just branded differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Those ones look like the ones you get on sites like deal extreme, cheap Chinese knock offs. I'd stay clear of time, they'll more than likely fail within a year or two, or the output will greatly reduce. I firmly believe its the likes of these that are preventing higher penetration of LEDs as these tarnish the reputation of all them.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just a heads up here.

Tesco in Artane Castle and Clarehall are now selling "Tesco" 6 watt GU10 LED lights.

Also "Tesco" B22 and E27 8 watt LED bulbs too.

All are 7 euro each.

The ** have pumped up all the prices by €5, so now €12/12.80. :(

• Advertisement

FYI. Was researching some info on LED as some opinions seem to be pretty polarised about brands etc and came across this which seems to have slipped through the net.
    Philips recall GU10's http://www.luxmagazine.co.uk/news/23/philips-recalls-potentially-dangerous-

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

First let me say, I never said I was sure.

Now read the first line of my post. No heat sync causes problems.That is a fact.

It is very possible we have tested these lamps but not as this brand. From our experience most of these lamps come out of the same factories, just branded differently.

Hi,
    Hoping to replace all of my GU10 halogens and was reading through this thread.
    As regards the heat sink not being in the 2 products in questions. What about the other offering on this company's website, http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/142-5w-smd-gu10-next-generation.html, is this an equivalent replacement for 50W Halogen GU10's?

Hi,
    As regards the heat sink not being in the 2 products in questions. What about the other offering on this company's website, http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/142-5w-smd-gu10-next-generation.html, is this an equivalent replacement for 50W Halogen GU10's?

My gut feeling is no.

It is still a cluster lamp but the thing I would consider is, if companies like Philips and Osram can’t get 50W equivalent out of 4 or 5W LEDs and still keep the long lamp life, I think others would struggle to.

As I say this is just my gut feeling.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My gut feeling is no.

It is still a cluster lamp but the thing I would consider is, if companies like Philips and Osram can’t get 50W equivalent out of 4 or 5W LEDs and still keep the long lamp life, I think others would struggle to.

As I say this is just my gut feeling.

I agree with the above, one issue is that the term 50W equivalent is difficult to measure against as there are some pretty poor 50W halogen lamps out there and some from companies like Osram that are vastly superior to cheaper 50W halogens.

also as said getting the 50W equivalent lamps is very difficult to do, without testing every lamps that comes from China it is difficult to give an answer, but there are known signs to watch out for like avoiding lamps with no heat sink, without a heat-sink lamps get hot and simply wont last long enough, its also important to note that some people have installed LED lamps into insulated ceilings in insulated light fittings with very little air flow, others install the lamps in an open back recessed fitting into a ceiling with zero insulation these are two vastly different environments for the lamp to operate in.

Agreed, lamps with heatsink will last longer but thats reflected in the price, pay 30-40% more for the longevity or get non heatsink lamps and replace in a couple of years you still save a massive whack on ESB either way.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Where do you plan in using them? do you really need 50's or is that thats what is installed because they came with the fitting?

everyone here is recomending known reputable brands, like Philips.
    i'd say spend the extra few euros and be happy.

the ones in your link are probably one of these ones http://dx.com/s/gu10+led

i replaced 50W for 35W equivalents. and am very happy with them.
    heres the before and after lex measurments.

all measurements are at working plane height.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I had my first philips master gu10 LED blow today. Has any one else had one of these bulbs fail? The bulb is just over a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I currently have low voltage down lights in every room in my house , a total of 86- 50w lights. My esb bill is roughly €180 per month which I think is fairly high.I was thinking that if I change the lights to led down lights I would be using about 5 watts per light as opposed to 50w and should knock a few pound of the esb bill.

From my limited knowledge of electrics I assume I would remove the light fitting , disconnect the transformer from the connector block and wire in the new led cable and bulb but still be able to use the the downlight surround .

So does anyone here know , firstly will I save on the bills by changing and secondly what is involved in changing them?cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Yes, what you have said is about right, although maybe you should get an electrician to do it for you.

What you'll save on the bill will depend on how much you use the lights now and in future.

Also you have to factor in the cost of the leds and their holders

Read the sticky thread on the top.
    MOD Edit: Thread now merged with said sticky

Payback I'd less than a year 86 bulbs will cost you. I'm sure a wholesaler will give you a price break.

Or you may do it in stages.

As suggested, reed the topic at the top of the page. There is some good advice in there.

Some things to keep in mind:

You are using 12v 50w lamps, the Philips lamps that people are talking will give you about 60% less light output than what you currently have. This might be OK with you but be aware of that. To get anything like the output you have you need to be up at about a 10W LED. Also most people are talking about GU10 so you will need to allow about €1 for a lamp holder if that is what you choose.

If, at the moment you have and use dimmers on your lighting you are saving already. I did a quick calculation. If you were happy to go with the Philips 4w GU10 lamp, with a lamp holder, VAT included it would cost about €11.50 per lamp or more. If you were to dim your lights down to the equivalent light that you would get out of the 4W GU10 LED, than you would be looking at roughly €3.00 a year savings by using the LEDs. This is based on 3 hours per day, which is what was suggested elsewhere on the site as an average.

There are a lot of variables and I would suggest you go and talk to a reputable Electrical Wholesaler. If they try to sell you cluster lamps first, walk out, if they offer them as an alternative but tell you the pitfalls, than you are talking to the right people.

One thing I have noticed about people installing LEDs over the years is this. When it is the end user installing them for themselves, they are happy with the results. This could be because they are proud of their work or won’t admit the flaws. If someone else was paid to do the job the customers complain about it. The common complaints are, a loss of light output (where the wrong lamp is used) not enough energy saving (where the correct is used). Bear in mind I am talking about domestic situations here, commercial properties are different because of the amount of time the lights are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Took a punt on some LED bulbs in Dunnes Stores a few weeks ago.

They're Philips MyVision 4W (equivalent to 35W) GU10 Warm White 2700K 36 deg spread that will last 25 years /25,000 hours according to the packaging.

There were the only 2 on display, hidden behind some White bulbs of the same make.

Cost €9.99 each.

I've installed both now and, while there seems to be a slight difference in the light output (i.e. less now), I'm happy with them.

I haven't told the OH either. Bit of an experiment to see if she'll notice :D

Any else tried these or know anything about them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have all the floor lamps and table lamps in the house now switched out to Ikea E27 and E14 LED bulbs.

They are 4 watt and they give a nice soft mood lighting.

Very happy with them for 7 euro a bulb.:D

The Philips Master LED GU10s are still going strong too.

Happy Days.:D

Some pics with my new camera...hopefully less blurry pics now.:pac::o:D

^^^^^^
    Thanks, Paddy.

I knew you and others had the Philips Master 4W.

I'm wondering what difference, if any, there is between these and the Philips MyVision which I got.

jprboy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    Thanks, Paddy.

I knew you and others had the Philips Master 4W.

I'm wondering what difference, if any, there is between these and the Philips MyVision which I got.

Pics on the way.

Just trying to figure this new camera out.:pac::o:confused:

• Advertisement

Philips Master 4 watt GU10...40 degree.

Dimmable (with certain dimmer switchen and panels).

I dont bother dimming them down

I find them very nice indeed.:)

Thanks again, Paddy.

Still doesn't answer my question, though i.e. what difference, if any, is there between the Philips Master and Philips MyVision?

Thanks again, Paddy.

Still doesn't answer my question, though i.e. what difference, if any, is there between the Philips Master and Philips MyVision?

Havent a god damn clue....is my honest answer to you.:)

Are yours dimmable??

Havent a god damn clue....is my honest answer to you.:)

Are yours dimmable??

I don't think they are but I don't need them to be.

The specs are very similar overall based on the pics you posted, the only difference apart from the dimmable aspect, is the spread. The Master is 40 deg and the MyVision is 36 deg.

I don't think they are but I don't need them to be.

The specs are very similar overall based on the pics you posted, the only difference apart from the dimmable aspect, is the spread. The Master is 40 deg and the MyVision is 36 deg.

Well I have the Master 4 watts throughout the house...(living area,kitchen/dinning area,bathroom and ensuite) and myself and my family are very happy with them.

A nice warm white/homely feel to them.:)

Now if I can just find 1200mm long T5 LED lights for my fish tank,id be onto a winner.
    Then again maybe not,as the plants would probably die.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

hi folks, i am looking to replace B15 Small bayonete bulbs with dimmable led candles, clear glass, having trouble finding them, anyone any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Pics on the way.

Just trying to figure this new camera out.:pac::o:confused:

A man with your photographing experience struggling with a camera. Ive seen it all now:pac::D

Bruthal wrote: »
    A man with your photographing experience struggling with a camera. Ive seen it all now:pac::D

The camera has so may functions on it.....Nikon Bridge Camera.

Its confusing the fcuk out of me too.:eek::o:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

another issue incurred today.
    got 6 of these in Ikea
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/50217931/

3 for downstairs in hall and same for landing.
    in a fitting similar to this
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9281112/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Band%2Bfurniture%7C14417894/c_2/3%7Ccat_19285865%7CLighting%7C14418021/Trail/searchtext%3ECEILING+LIGHT.htm

When I have al 3 bulbs in there is the faintest of light going through them even though the light switch is off. When i turn it on they work fine but once off there is a faint light again.
    If I put a regular bulb back in with 2 Led's the faint light stops.

Confused.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Any supplier who would post out the 4W Philips master bulb at a reasonable cost.

Advertisement