Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Christmas Memories..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

fryup wrote: »
    As a kid I remember going downstairs to look at the toy train set in tots to teens.

I also remember Woolworths, top of o'connell st with its reasonably priced toys.

And during the 80s when we were hard up a trip to King Canutes was a must for their cheap tat..(that place burnt down didn't it?)

Ah now! Tots to Teens! thats a memory! just down from cruises hotel. I remember being amazed at the Subbuteo soccer game there and got it for christmas, only thing is it turned out to be the worst thing ever cause it had to be played on a table with the pitch cloth glued to it!! it just didnt work on the floor or the kitchen table which definitely wasnt available on christmas day!! Baahhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Actually, since i'm on it, does anyone remember Nestors in O'connell St.? toys, fishing and sports gear, bicycles, dart boards and all kinds of good stuff and being served by men in brown coats an the oul wans working there??! Chri$t they must have been in their eighties!! great shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They were definately there around 1996 because I remember(around then +/- a year) making a nuisance of myself around the fishing rods. I barely touched a rod and the whole display came crashing down. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

CiaranMT wrote: »
    O' Mahoney's used to have a toy shop (or kids shop) near where Clohessy's is now, didn't they? I vaguely remember the shopping mall that was there as well, before it got knocked..

Yeah but it was one of those evil toy shops that did more educational toys than real ones.

Nestors did toys?? It was all sports stuff with guns downstairs, although i suppose a shotgun would be a great toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

Santa in Boyds, being driven around town at night to look at the lights and see the window at Todds . Our yearly trip to the Crescent Shopping centre, I used to think it was an amazing place. And being a bit of bookworm, Christmas in Easons picking out annuals and box sets of books that Santa could bring me! I still love going to Easons around Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

LB6 wrote: »
    Being driven around to all the Churches to look at all the Mangers!

Our family too!:D My mam used to pack us into the car and we's see about 10 churches in one day! Gas wasn't it!

Also going to Shannon to see all the lights! I remember thinking that Shannon looked like that all the time and I was so jealous that my cousins got to live beside the airport!

I've often wondered if the decorations/lights were better back then or did they seem better because we were young?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Does anyone remember that giant chair they had in Oaklands (the place on the Dublin Road that burned down a few years ago) around Christmas time?

I mean a MASSIVE one, right near the entrance? Please tell me I haven't gone crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

brousuka wrote: »
    Actually, since i'm on it, does anyone remember Nestors in O'connell St.? toys, fishing and sports gear, bicycles, dart boards and all kinds of good stuff and being served by men in brown coats an the oul wans working there??! Chri$t they must have been in their eighties!! great shop though.

Nestors was a really excellent sports shop back when sports shops were not glorified clothes shops.

They also had a branch in the Crescent shopping centre at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

Corbally Baths christmas morning swim, never did it but loved watching em all freezin their asses off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does anyone remember that giant chair they had in Oaklands (the place on the Dublin Road that burned down a few years ago) around Christmas time?

I mean a MASSIVE one, right near the entrance? Please tell me I haven't gone crazy.

Ah busigirl! You're right! I used to love that! :D

They had a water bed at one stage too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nestors definately sold bicycles, they were upstairs. I remember being brought in there to pick out a BMX. Cannot remember if they sold other toys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Driving through Greenfields & Ballinacurragh on the way to visit Grandparents - some houses really decked out with lights and decorations!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Driving through Greenfields & Ballinacurragh on the way to visit Grandparents - some houses really decked out with lights and decorations!

I know the exact house! The one on the corner comming from Greenfields into Ballinacurra Gardens! Did it up until about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Going into town on Christmas eve with my parents and sisters, it was the only day of the year my dad ever went shopping with us. We would have a kiddies korner meal in Harrys coffee shop and then we would walk up town listening to the street corner traders shouting 'get your wrapping paper, 5 sheets for a pound. wrapping paper 5 sheets for a pound'. My mother would go into dunnes and get the last few bits for Christmas while my dad took us by the hand for a walk around town and we would always bump into friends of his who would give us 50p each or if we were very lucky got a pound note. Came home minted, so we thought.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I know the exact house! The one on the corner comming from Greenfields into Ballinacurra Gardens! Did it up until about 4 years ago.

Noticed they stopped! Did they move house or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Memories :)

Orminstons..that spelling looks wrong but if you remember its ok ;)

1973..selling Holly outside the brand new Crescent SC with my crazy mad cousins.
    I used to spend xmas with them..I always thought they were insane getting up in the middle of the night :D..It was probably 7am?
    I came from a 'town' in Clare. They came from a village.
    Guess whos still working? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

We as children used to go to my Granda's in Templeglantine. There would be a christmas fair type thing in the Halla Inse Ban, and you would meet Santa, get your present (although they must have cost a pound or something). Was great to meet up with the whole family.

Was there for that big storm, and with no electricity it was possibly the best christmas as it was candlelight in every room. I dont even remember how my parents got the christmas dinner up for everyone with no electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Yeah but it was one of those evil toy shops that did more educational toys than real ones.

Nestors did toys?? It was all sports stuff with guns downstairs, although i suppose a shotgun would be a great toy.

Back in the 60's & 70's Nestors did brilliant toys , all very expensive , Hornby trains, Lead soldiers ,Mecano, Most of their stuff turned into collectibles in later years.

In our case it was sneak a look but don't touch before being run out of the shop. The Garryowen shower was not their natural clientele , don't you know. Snobs the lot of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Noticed they stopped! Did they move house or something?

No, I think he got ill a few years ago and couldn't put them up and hasn't bothered since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

John the Man on the radio.

Todd's windows, without a doubt. I marvelled at them. And the winter wonderland scene with animatronic animals on either side of the queue for Santa in Todds. Not even the most stylish BT window can recreate that sense of wonder and excitement for me. :o

Roches' Stores toy department across the street, on Sarsfield Street.

Getting to go up the ramp to the upper level car park in Spaight's. :D

The school fair in Scoil Ide, when the hall and practically every classroom was taken over with sweets, secondhand toys and books for sale, have-a-go games, raffles, and of course, Santa. The idea that Santa visited your classroom! :eek: And the magic I felt that the whole school was transformed with music and lights and a hum of excitement!

Skating on the ice in the fields beyond Athlunkard Bridge.

Going up to Cappantymore in the snow and using my mother's trays off the trolley service (remember them?!) to slide down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You always know the Christmas season is really starting when the lads are selling trees by the Jetland/Ivans. Makes walking the Ennis Road all the better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

one christmas memory i have is of a.. xmas eve many moons ago when i was 10 yrs old, i was waiting outside the entrance to Roches Stores on o'connell st .

I was waiting for my sister who popped in for a quick arrin, when two teenage ruffians walked past and pulled the hood of my parker jacket over my head, spun me around and in the process proceeded to kick me up the arse several times, it only lasted a minute but i was shaken and upset by it, i didn't cry and i didn't tell my sister or parents ..but it did taint my christmas.frown.gifbastards!! shake my fist

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

bazz26 wrote: »
    After seeing Santa Clause: The Movie in the Carlton, then brought to Burgerland for a treat.

Burgerland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

bazz26 wrote: »
    After seeing Santa Clause: The Movie in the Carlton, then brought to Burgerland for a treat.

Snap - my aunt brought myself and my sisters to see that movie in the Carlton and Burgerland afterwards while my parents got the overnight bus to Newry to do Christmas shopping. It was a big thing years ago the overnight coach vigil to Newry as it was so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Ice-skating on the canal during the big freeze in 63/64, What a magical Christmas that was ! Some of the schools had to close as they had no heat and we were off for weeks. We never knew form one day to the next when they would open so everyday was like the last. Just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Another random memory came flooding back.

Christmas carols and the present donation thingy at the old Co-op store in Annacotty. :) Was a really beautiful night.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Going into King Kanutes (spelling)william st, around xmas time and playing with all the toys upstairs

Advertisement