Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Christmas Memories..

Options
  • 01-12-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

As IO was too lazy to start it, I decided I would :P

So lets start sharing all of our Christmas Memories of around Limerick! :)

I used to love the Window Display in BT when they had a little puppet show! Used to fall in love with it each yeah!

Oh yeah..

In before:
    Giant Floating Traffic Cone being up until May.
    Giant Floating Traffic Cone Crashing into the Bridge.
    Christmas will be worth 10 Million Euro to the cities Economy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It's not BT, its Todds. Will always be in my memory anyway, like shannon bridge is still the new bridge.

The santa in speights.

Not in limerick but i'm sure alot of us done it, driving out to shannon to collect a relative and watching all the lights. Shannon airport used really light up for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Doing the Nativity play with St. John's Scouts at midnight mass on Christmas Eve in St. John's Hospital and then getting sweets/chocs/fanta from the nuns afterwards.

Santa in Todds or Cannocks (where Penneys is now) on Christmas Eve and being brought to (the old) Nancy Blakes afterwards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I remember comming up the Christmas Last year, (About this time), The Misses, a few friends of hers, and I all went into BT's to see Santa (I had to collect something off my aunt and santa was there!)

The Guy now was a complete perve! And he started going through all the girls bags (Most of which were from penny's, of which he'd insulted them for having to shop there!) And started showing off the stuff they had in their bag to everyone around, such as their newly purchased Bra's and underware; And including one of her friends Lingerie (She wasn't a bit impressed with him).

So needless to say, he was complained straight away, and I wont be going in there to visit Santa this year! (Despite the fact that I'm photographing him in two different venues, I'll be sick of the sight of him! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The basement of Debenhams Roches Stores being turned into the Christmas floor. Decorations, displays, candy cane samples, flashy lights and dancing santas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Being driven around to all the Churches to look at all the Mangers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Santa and his Reindeer in Arthur's Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Visiting Santa in Roches stores

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's not BT, its Todds. Will always be in my memory anyway, like shannon bridge is still the new bridge.

The santa in speights.

Not in limerick but i'm sure alot of us done it, driving out to shannon to collect a relative and watching all the lights. Shannon airport used really light up for christmas.

Yep will always be Todds for me as well. The window displays seemed better before it became BT.

Had totally forgotten about Santa at Speights. Used to love the car park there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone remember the Storm on Christmas eve in 1997? Was only 6 at the time but I remember loving it. :pac:

Anyone remember the Storm on Christmas eve in 1997? Was only 6 at the time but I remember loving it. :pac:

Yep, it was very bad on the 23rd and 24th December in particular that year with a lot of roads being closed because of fallen trees etc.

A friend of mine was on alarm call, and he got a call out on the night of the 23rd. I was staying in Limerick that Xmas so went for the drive with him between Limerick and Clonmel only to discover the road was closed in a few places and we ended up coming back to Limerick and having to go to Clonmel via Thurles instead of the usual Tipp town route. Will never forget the trip as it was a hairy drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My Limerick Christmas memories are around bad traffic...

- Trying to go to a 6pm show in the Omniplex on the Saturday before before Christmas (baaaaaaaaad idea)
    - Driving my mum into the city on a Christmas eve when it was absolutely pissing rain (fun) :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I remember the windows in the mall in the Parkway blew in and didn't bits of Pennys clock fall down too? Just saw you were only 6 at the time :eek: so you probably dont remember that (I feel old).

Going back long before that when I was a kid I remember being brought to Santa in Dunnes Sarsfield Street, Newsoms, Roches Stores, Speights and Todds every year by various relatives.
    I used to love Todds animated window. I wish BT would bring it back.

I remember the windows in the mall in the Parkway blew in and didn't bits of Pennys clock fall down too? Just saw you were only 6 at the time :eek: so you probably dont remember that (I feel old).

Going back long before that when I was a kid I remember being brought to Santa in Dunnes Sarsfield Street, Newsoms, Roches Stores, Speights and Todds every year by various relatives.
    I used to love Todds animated window. I wish BT would bring it back.

I remember the Penneys Clock incident. My dad and sister were in town at the time. I have a sharp memory! :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I remember the storm destroying the fences in our back garden that year,after they'd been blown down the previous year as well. We eventually had to get walls built instead. Very Robert Frost. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yep, how many people claimed to be nearly hit by the Pennys clock when some of it came crashing down. :rolleyes:

I was working in a petrol station and one of the gas bottle things flew across the forecourt. :eek:

We also had a tree in our front garden that year, next day it was gone. We never did find it.

Christmas memories: Remember the tree that became a tourist attraction and sank 8 hours later after an unsucessful attempt at escaping out the estuary. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

As a kid I remember going downstairs to look at the toy train set in tots to teens.

I also remember Woolworths, top of o'connell st with its reasonably priced toys.

And during the 80s when we were hard up a trip to King Canutes was a must for their cheap tat..(that place burnt down didn't it?)

Aha Good old Christmas memories was when Roches Stores Toy / Christmas shop was across the road. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

fryup wrote: »
    As a kid I remember going downstairs to look at the toy train set in tots to teens.

I also remember Woolworths, top of o'connell st with its reasonably priced toys.

And during the 80s when we were hard up a trip to King Canutes was a must for their cheap tat..(that place burnt down didn't it?)

What memories! I remember Woolworths too, and King Canutes was always great to buy dirt cheap blank tapes so you could record songs off the radio. Yes, it did have a fire and never reopened.

Santa in Todds, and going out to the 'old' Crescent Shopping Centre for a big xmas shop in Quinnsworth.

Ah Santa arriving by Helicopter to the Crescent. Didn't he arrive on a horse & cart last year?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

The Christmas department in Toy Roches Stores :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I used to love the religious "stained glass" window in Roches. I must have been a strange child :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

My father taking us down to the market and picking out the turkey,then at home plucking and cleaning it.......going to see Santa in Newsoms and of course the Todds window.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

After seeing Santa Clause: The Movie in the Carlton, then brought to Burgerland for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Gawd I'll never forget Santa in Newsoms - Parents brought me and my younger brother in to see him and my dad took me away while my mother bought his train set. Was the year I discovered he's not real sob sob sob :eek:

O' Mahoney's used to have a toy shop (or kids shop) near where Clohessy's is now, didn't they? I vaguely remember the shopping mall that was there as well, before it got knocked..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

thefishone wrote: »
    Newsoms

Now thats a Store I've not even heard of in years! :O

CiaranMT wrote: »
    O' Mahoney's used to have a toy shop (or kids shop) near where Clohessy's is now, didn't they? I vaguely remember the shopping mall that was there as well, before it got knocked..

I vaguely remember that! Was it in a mill building?

The toy section in Boyds.

I vaguely remember that! Was it in a mill building?

Could've been, I was but a nipper at the time.

• Advertisement

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Could've been, I was but a nipper at the time.

Like myself! My grandad used to take me there to keep me quiet!

Advertisement