Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McNamara's at it again.

Options
  • 29-11-2011 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder what he is up to. Amazing and bizarre construction

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14219%3Aanglo-avengers-achill-antics&catid=23%3Anews&Itemid=46

Anglo Avenger’s Achill antics

Mystery surrounds Achill-henge project

Achill
    Edwin McGreal

A massive Stonehenge-esque structure has appeared on an Achill hilltop over the weekend. The man behind the clandestine project, the purpose of which remains unclear, is Achill native Joe McNamara, also known as ‘The Anglo Avenger’ after his high-profile protests against Anglo Irish Bank last year.
    Reportedly over six months in planning, the enormous circular structure, which is located on commonage land above Pollagh, was erected at great speed but with a high level of precision. A group of men, with McNamara in charge, worked long hours over the weekend on its construction. The projected cost of its manufacture and installation is believed to be in excess of €1 million.
    The structure – dubbed Achill-henge – was built without planning permission, a spokesperson for Mayo County Council told The Mayo News. Towering nearly 15 feet from its base, it is 30 metres in diameter and has a circumference of close to 100 metres. Over 30 articulated trucks arrived in Pollagh on Friday from Galway carrying pre-cast concrete, and work began in mid-morning. Mayo County Council has taken the matter to the High Court.
    Speculation is rife as to the purpose of the project. There have been some suggestions that it is being built as a tourist attraction. It is not impossible, given Joe McNamara’s history in relation to protests, that the monument could yet prove to be some sort of political statement. McNamara famously drove a cement lorry with the words ‘Toxic Bank’ and ‘Anglo’ painted on its side, to the gates of Leinster House in September 2010.
    When questioned by The Mayo News at the Achill site on Sunday morning, Joe McNamara himself declined to comment on anything relating to the project.
    With work taking place over the weekend, often in fading light, there was an ‘under the cover of darkness’ feel about the operation. Many locals were confused about what was afoot. There were rumours that an incinerator was being built, such was the cloaked nature of the project. The Mayo News understands that the project was completed in near darkness on Sunday evening, shortly before 6pm.

Court action
    A Mayo County Council planning officer arrived on the site on Friday afternoon and asked for work to cease as there was no planning permission for the project. However, work continued and several more visits to the site were made by council planners. Mayo County Council initiated High Court proceedings on Friday and both parties appeared before the court yesterday. The matter has been referred to a High Court sitting expected to take place later this week.
    A council spokesman told The Mayo News that ‘the matter is the subject of ongoing enforcement proceedings and will be back before the courts this week’. He would not comment further as, he said, the matter was ‘sub-judice’.
    The project is constructed on commonage on a hill in Pollagh looking down on the village and the nearby villages of Keel and Dooagh. McNamara has, reportedly, access to the commonage.
    The circular construction is built using precast slabs, which are curved. It would appear that, on close examination of the site, a lot of time and expense has gone into the project.
    It is believed that a road is to be built from beside the Achill Head Hotel in Pollagh, which McNamara owns, to the site. Construction access this weekend was via an existing road further down on the road to Dooagh, with a large stretch of the climb being on a rough, bog road.
    The Mayo News also understands that the project is based on Stonehenge in more than just appearance. Reportedly the Pollagh version has been built to sync with sunrise on the summer and winter solstices and March and September equinoxes.

2911_achill1_2290.jpg

It is believed that the sun will rise and shine through the gaps between the ‘stones’ to light up a centre-piece on the site – a centre-piece yet to be built or revealed. What can be seen in the centre is a semi-circular outline for some sort of structure, but what shape or form that will take is unclear. It is believed that it won’t form part of the current development at Achill-henge but may be installed later. However, there is little doubt, on foot of yesterday’s High Court action by Mayo County Council, that it will not be a straightforward matter.
    Joe McNamara is a native of Achill Island but has lived in Galway for a number of years. A one-time successful developer, he fell into some financial difficulty in recent years and reportedly owes Anglo Irish Bank €3.5 million.
    In his early 40s, McNamara was dubbed ‘The Anglo Avenger’ after a series of protests in 2010. As well as driving the ‘toxic bank’ lorry to the gates of Leinster House, he abandoned the same cement lorry outside Anglo Irish Bank’s offices on Forster Street in Galway and also parked a giant cherry-picker hoist outside the bank’s HQ on St Stephen’s Green.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The boul' mcnamara.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hope they knock it down. Does this guy think that all laws and regulations are exempted when it comes to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

a centre-piece yet to be built or revealed
    A statue of Bbbbbbertie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A guy who protested about the banking crisis / collapse, who owes 3.5 million to the bank spends 1 million on a sculpture ? Did I miss something or has he just destroyed his credibillity ?

(pun noted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's in Mayo, who cares no one will see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

hondasam wrote: »

You and whoever else has seen and will see this thread will have seen it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Gobshite

kippy wrote: »
    You and whoever else has seen and will see this thread will have seen it........

I did not open the link, i did not see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

A guy who protested about the banking crisis / collapse, who owes 3.5 million to the bank spends 1 million on a sculpture ? Did I miss something or has he just destroyed his credibility ?

(pun noted)

He had no credibility before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

McNamara's Tomb sounds good.

kippy wrote: »
    Lies.

No you have my word, I have no intentions of opening the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It may have cost a bit to build it, but it will cost an astronomical fortune to remove especially if the usual state agencies; consultants, insultants, experts, H&S, various shovel huggers are involved.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Maybe its the Irish answer to the Georgia Guidestones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I hope it says "F*ck you Bertie" when viewed on Google Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Is it a habitable structure or is it going to be like all the ghost estates - totally uninhabitable? Not to worry if he puts enough metal in it, it will be torn down and sold for scrap in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Why the insult?
    Bull !
    No you have my word, I have no intentions of opening the link.
    If you're that unconcerned with it, why take the trouble to post 3 times on the thread? postcount ??
    Wertz wrote: »
    I hope it says "F*ck you Bertie" when viewed on Google Earth.
    That would be excellent wouldn't it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Can we get a TLDR for the more attentively diverse amongst us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Einhard wrote: »
    Hope they knock it down. Does this guy think that all laws and regulations are exempted when it comes to him?

Seems to be the only individual on the island who has the balls to do something other than complain, however ridiculous it is.

Build on McNamara! Build on! **** the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Were did he get the money to do this or was it stock he had for another job and decided to throw it together and make a stone henge out of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A guy who protested about the banking crisis / collapse, who owes 3.5 million to the bank spends 1 million on a sculpture ? Did I miss something or has he just destroyed his credibillity ?

(pun noted)

He only had credibility with Joe Duffy, most of the population I'm sure could see through his little man against the machine act.

Seems to be the only individual on the island who has the balls to do something other than complain, however ridiculous it is.

Build on McNamara! Build on! **** the bastards!

Yeah, because building a tourist attraction near his hotel without planning permission is really sticking it to the government.

Seems to be the only individual on the island who has the balls to do something other than complain, however ridiculous it is

Isn't he just another failed property speculator whining at the government about his woes?

Don't we have enough of those bastards walking around the place, unharmed, without making a folk hero out of one of their ilk?

What am I missing here?

Yeah, because building a tourist attraction near his hotel without planning permission is really sticking it to the government.

Yeah, cos there's a whole lot of that going on already isn't there?

Yeah, cos there's a whole lot of that going on already isn't there?

That's not the point. This action of his had nothing to do with opposing the government and everything to do with enriching himself, and yet you act as if they are the actions of a latter day Gandhi.

That's not the point. This action of his had nothing to do with opposing the government and everything to do with enriching himself, and yet you act as if they are the actions of a latter day Gandhi.

Nah, I think he's a knob and what he's doing is just yet another example of the absurd ****e that people get away with in this country.

We're pretty much a laughing stock at this stage so I say why not play up to it? We're headed right down the ****ter anyway so why not go out in style.

I hope he builds lots and lots of stupid, expensive pointless crap all over the place because we ****ing deserve it for letting it happen.

We're headed right down the ****ter anyway so why not go out in style.

I hope he builds lots and lots of stupid, expensive pointless crap all over the place because we ****ing deserve it for letting it happen.

Well... now that you've nemtioned it... I guess we could build I giant pyramid on top of Athlone with the rubble of the ghost estates.

Well... now that you've nemtioned it... I guess we could build I giant pyramid on top of Athlone with the rubble of the ghost estates.

Now you're on the trolley!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Maybe its the Irish answer to the Georgia Guidestones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

We already have those, they're pointing east http://tinyurl.com/43he2c2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's on Achill, quite close to Keel, which is one of the most popular tourist spots in the west of Ireland.

So, a lot of people will probably see it.

Advertisement