Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army tattoo opinions please

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Go for it lad, go to an Irish regement and no bother. Most army units have Irish lads in so dont worry. Have a good career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

More lies, these pics are of the Irish Guards in Basra, they sent up a mock orange parade with Catholic soldiers as rioters for a laugh.

You are totally dishonest.

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=35

Soldiers keep it real with Basra Twelfth
    By Diana Rusk
    BRITISH soldiers in Iraq have held a tongue-in-cheek Twelfth of July demonstration complete with nationalist protesters and riot police.

Members of the Irish Guards held the parade at their base in Basra after an Orange lodge sent them sashes and orange lilies.

The images posted on internet forum Bebo show orange men from 'Basrah LOL 1 accompanied by a flute band called The Rising Sons of Basrah 2007.

They march past mock RUC officers dressed in full riot gear and a group of mock nationalist protesters holding Irish flags in opposition to the parade.

Why do you say I'm totally dishonest? Do you think I've created those photos myself?

More lies, these pics are of the Irish Guards in Basra, they sent up a mock orange parade with Catholic soldiers as rioters for a laugh.

You are totally dishonest.

http://www.orange-pages.tk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=35

Soldiers keep it real with Basra Twelfth
    By Diana Rusk
    BRITISH soldiers in Iraq have held a tongue-in-cheek Twelfth of July demonstration complete with nationalist protesters and riot police.

Members of the Irish Guards held the parade at their base in Basra after an Orange lodge sent them sashes and orange lilies.

The images posted on internet forum Bebo show orange men from 'Basrah LOL 1 accompanied by a flute band called The Rising Sons of Basrah 2007.

They march past mock RUC officers dressed in full riot gear and a group of mock nationalist protesters holding Irish flags in opposition to the parade.

Your man's tattoo will add to the authenticity then won't it?

LOL
    LOL
    LOL

Just found this article concerning Catholics in RIR:
    A CATHOLIC ex-soldier has claimed he attempted suicide after suffering sectarian abuse by Protestant comrades, a Fair Employment heard yesterday.

Patrick Murphy, 33, originally from West Belfast, alleges that after he joined the Royal Irish Regiment in 1996 fellow soldiers left bullets and sectarian notes in his locker. At one stage they even made abusive calls to his wife.

The Ministry of Defence is denying unlawful discrimination on the grounds of religious belief or political opinion.

Mr Murphy told the tribunal in Belfast his torment started when he was posted to barracks in Portadown, Co Armagh.

Soldiers there had discovered he was a Catholic despite an effort to cover up his religion.

Life was so bad that when he was on 24-hour rapid response duty he ended up sleeping in the back of a Land Rover because of the abuse he endured in the barracks.

And he said that when he joined the regiment a recruiting sergeant told him to change his name to hide his religion.

Mr Murphy took the advice and became known as Paul Murphy, his dog tags were even stamped to indicate he was Protestant.

Mr Murphy said: "The sergeant said it was advisable and safer to change my name. He believed it was in my own interests to change my name because it would be known I was a Catholic and I'd get a hard time."

In October 1998 he tried to kill himself by running a hose from the exhaust of his car into the vehicle.

The MoD claimed that after Mr Murphy made one complaint about sectarian remarks in 1998 he did not pursue the matter.

An MoD statement said: "Mr Murphy has had a chequered past, he at times can be unreliable and his loyalty has fluctuated."

But the tribunal was told that when Mr Murphy took compassionate leave in 1996 because his wife had cancer, his record had been described as "exemplary".

The hearing continues today.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/My+hell+by+Catholic+RIR+soldier.-a095136322

Does anyone know how this case was resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I have asked you to create your own thread if you want to discuss your anti Brit stance so please get out of my thread and do not post again.

• Advertisement

deisedave wrote: »
    I have asked you to create your own thread if you want to discuss your anti Brit stance so please get out of my thread and do not post again.

Everything I have posted has been completely relevant to your opening comments.

I don't have an "anti Brit stance". Some of my best friends are English.

Everything I have posted has been completely relevant to your opening comments.

I don't have an "anti Brit stance". Some of my best friends are English.

"As of mid 2011 the British Army employs 110,210 regulars (which includes the 3,860 Brigade of Gurkhas) and 33,100 territorials for a combined component strength of 143,310 soldiers. In addition there are 121,800 regular reserves of the British Army." from wiki

So with those huge numbers obviously there is going to be a few aholes like any other walk of life, they are people and the majority are lovely people you are always going to get a few bad apples now :)

You have not helped at all in this thread and the majority of your posts on this site are on this thread now please go away.

"As of mid 2011 the British Army employs 110,210 regulars (which includes the 3,860 Brigade of Gurkhas) and 33,100 territorials for a combined component strength of 143,310 soldiers. In addition there are 121,800 regular reserves of the British Army." from wiki

So with those huge numbers obviously there is going to be a few aholes like any other walk of life, they are people and the majority are lovely people you are always going to get a few bad apples now :)

You have not helped at all in this thread and the majority of your posts on this site are on this thread now please go away.

I will post on any subject I see fit - including this one. That is what a discussion forum is for.

Now, could you explain which type of British soldier you regard as an "ahole" or a "bad apple"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Deisedave: After coming across this thread I Just wanted to wish you the best of luck in wanting to do something with your life.
    My first cousin is serving in Afghanistan at the mo and my husbands Uncle served with both the Irish army and British army. He got sick of the Irish army and emigrated to England but couldn't shake off his military leanings so joined up again :D

One final bit of advise "DON'T FEED THE TROLL" ;)

Sundew wrote: »
    Deisedave: After coming across this thread I Just wanted to wish you the best of luck in wanting to do something with your life.
    My first cousin is serving in Afghanistan at the mo and my husbands Uncle served with both the Irish army and British army. He got sick of the Irish army and emigrated to England but couldn't shake off his military leanings so joined up again :D

lol its hard not too, sucks that you cant have a serious conversation without someone coming in with their anti-bit stance. But yeah I pray I get in I am not unfit or anything but I just dont think I am fit enough yet.

• Advertisement

Sundew wrote: »

Kill for anybody would he?

lol its hard not too, sucks that you cant have a serious conversation without someone coming in with their anti-bit stance. But yeah I pray I get in I am not unfit or anything but I just dont think I am fit enough yet.

I've just told you I'm not "anti-brit". I seriously suggest you learn to read before joining any foreign army - even as a grunt.

I've just told you I'm not "anti-brit". I seriously suggest you learn to read before joining any foreign army - even as a grunt.

:rolleyes: You seem very anti brit, just because you say you are not anti-brit does not make it true. But this is the last reply that I am giving you.

:rolleyes: You seem very anti brit, just because you say you are not anti-brit does not make it true. But this is the last reply that I am giving you.

Show me any anti-British statement I've made?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

1998 is that the best you can do ?

1998 is that the best you can do ?

Is that answer the best you can do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Is that answer the best you can do?
    #

Why are you posting crap from 1998, but trying to give the impression its current:rolleyes:

#

Why are you posting crap from 1998, but trying to give the impression its current:rolleyes:

Where did I say it was current? I even gave a link.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement