Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army tattoo opinions please

Options
  • 29-11-2011 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

When I was younger I got the word Irish with tri-colour colouring.

No I am in no way supportive of the IRA which is what I am told some people might associate that tattoo with and I might get in trouble for it, So do you reckon they might just see it as my countries colours as it is or will they think its an IRA symbol because of those scumbags hijacking my countries colours.

I really want to join the British army on account of the Irish army not recruiting, I am in my twenties and dying to go and do it.

It would really suck if the thing that stops me from joining is because terrorists hi jacked my countries colours and now people associate the tri colour with the IRA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Where is it? A tricolour in itself shouldn't be a problem.

Here's what is written on the application form:
    Tattoos that are offensive, obscene or excessive in size or number will be a bar to entry or re-entry. Tattoos
    should not be visible on the head and neck and may be a bar to entry when on the hand. If you have any you
    may be asked to complete a form describing your tattoos. They will be seen during your medical examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

deisedave wrote: »

No I am in no way supportive of the IRA which is what I am told some people might associate that tattoo with and I might get in trouble for it, So do you reckon they might just see it as my countries colours as it is or will they think its an IRA symbol because of those scumbags hijacking my countries colours.

I really want to join the British army on account of the Irish army not recruiting, I am in my twenties and dying to go and do it.

It would really suck if the thing that stops me from joining is because terrorists hi jacked my countries colours and now people associate the tri colour with the IRA.

Your in your twenties and your called DeiseDave so perhaps from Waterford? You don't have a clue about republicans in the north or border counties and what happened in the recent past. So you want to be a career soldier and be part of an army that is helping in the occupations of Iraq and Afganistan for resources control etc.

Regarding your tattoo there is laser treatment that has reached rock bottom prices in Ireland for as little as €40 per session. Usually requires a minimum of 6, but if you have colour especially green it will take more sessions. Stubborn to remove. Also diamond white ink never removes. Laser treatment is very effective though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

It wont be a problem as long as it does not break guidelines, in an Irish regiment you will get away with it.

In other regiments you will get your leg pulled, peoples attitude will depend on your personality, if you have a outgoing personality and are popular it wont really be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Yeah I have to go up 20th of December for an interview, I sent them up pics of my tatts and they said they wont be a problem. Really hope I get in, even though I would love to stay in Ireland there is no future here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Gingko wrote: »
    Your in your twenties and your called DeiseDave so perhaps from Waterford? You don't have a clue about republicans in the north or border counties and what happened in the recent past. So you want to be a career soldier and be part of an army that is helping in the occupations of Iraq and Afganistan for resources control etc.

Regarding your tattoo there is laser treatment that has reached rock bottom prices in Ireland for as little as €40 per session. Usually requires a minimum of 6, but if you have colour especially green it will take more sessions. Stubborn to remove. Also diamond white ink never removes. Laser treatment is very effective though.

Or alternatively, contact your local IRA unit, who will be happy to hack it off, as they did to one young Protestant in Belfast in the early seventies - before sending it to his mother...

• Advertisement

Yeah I have to go up 20th of December for an interview, I sent them up pics of my tatts and they said they wont be a problem. Really hope I get in, even though I would love to stay in Ireland there is no future here.

DeiseDave! There is always a future here? In fact certain industries are booming! Tourism, I.T. and even farming is doing well. It depends on the person. Life and situations are constantly changing everywhere. But if you love it here then don't make the mistake of leaving and been controlled by people that don't really care about you.

There is something in young men that makes them want to fight regardless of nationality and beliefs etc. Are you really sure that army life is for you? There are many more careers that are far more rewarding and you meet a greater spectrum of people.

Have you lived in Waterford all your life? If so why not try out another part of Ireland before you consider something so extreme? Galway for example? Open minded city that is an education in itself. Yes I am trying to talk you out of it for sure! The British Army, U.S. forces, Israeli Army etc are not peacekeeping armies. Don't be used by hidden sinister agendas. If you must join an army then wait until the Irish army are recruiting again. You wont have to wait too long! In the meantime would you consider taking up martial arts? Direct some of that energy?

I felt exactly like you when I was in my twenties too. Lived all over Europe, States and Australia. Finally came back to Ireland and fell in love with the place again. Moved west and got into surfing! Haven't looked back! I trained in martial arts when I was younger and also trained in survival and bushcraft skills. And shooting / target practice and even defensive driving. But even with these gained skills I still would not become part of any army that is involved in a completely immoral and unjust war! Please think this through my friend! :)

DeiseDave! There is always a future here? In fact certain industries are booming! Tourism, I.T. and even farming is doing well. It depends on the person. Life and situations are constantly changing everywhere. But if you love it here then don't make the mistake of leaving and been controlled by people that don't really care about you.

There is something in young men that makes them want to fight regardless of nationality and beliefs etc. Are you really sure that army life is for you? There are many more careers that are far more rewarding and you meet a greater spectrum of people.

Have you lived in Waterford all your life? If so why not try out another part of Ireland before you consider something so extreme? Galway for example? Open minded city that is an education in itself. Yes I am trying to talk you out of it for sure! The British Army, U.S. forces, Israeli Army etc are not peacekeeping armies. Don't be used by hidden sinister agendas. If you must join an army then wait until the Irish army are recruiting again. You wont have to wait too long! In the meantime would you consider taking up martial arts? Direct some of that energy?

I felt exactly like you when I was in my twenties too. Lived all over Europe, States and Australia. Finally came back to Ireland and fell in love with the place again. Moved west and got into surfing! Haven't looked back! I trained in martial arts when I was younger and also trained in survival and bushcraft skills. And shooting / target practice and even defensive driving. But even with these gained skills I still would not become part of any army that is involved in a completely immoral and unjust war! Please think this through my friend! :)

Na I always wanted military, I just always hoped the PDF would be an option but at the end of the day England are our neighbours and fighting for them is the next best thing than being in the Irish army.

Or alternatively, contact your local IRA unit, who will be happy to hack it off, as they did to one young Protestant in Belfast in the early seventies - before sending it to his mother...

Shocking incident! Awful thing to do to any human being. Re the IRA, that conflict is well and truly over. And the vast majority of republicans did not engage in such barbarity. Lets not go tit for tat here as there were atrocities on all sides. Thankfully we now have a peace process and great progress has been made.

I have both Catholic and Protestant roots by the way. And even some Scottish Presbyterian going way back.

Yeah I dont care about the IRA/Prod crap please just say on topic, This topic is about will they consider my tattoo offensive not about your views on the IRA there is numerous either threads for that ****e.

Na I always wanted military, I just always hoped the PDF would be an option but at the end of the day England are our neighbours and fighting for them is the next best thing than being in the Irish army.

No it's not! It's completely different actually. Ask some of the Irish army on here what they think of that. Anyway be safe!

• Advertisement

Re tattoo! There is a wait of between 4-6 weeks between sessions for proper healing.

No it's not! It's completely different actually. Ask some of the Irish army on here what they think of that. Anyway be safe!

I got respect for the boys in the PDF but they wont be recruiting much for a while Id say so its not really likely I would get in soon. I cant wait to get stuck in and get further on with the joining process.

I got respect for the boys in the PDF but they wont be recruiting much for a while Id say so its not really likely I would get in soon. I cant wait to get stuck in and get further on with the joining process.

It's a shame you don't have family or friends in the DFI that could guide you? I had an uncle in the ARW (Rangers). Retired now. He has very mixed feelings on the whole thing. Solid career and money yea but the ethics of the whole thing is very questionable. Anyway your mind is made up! :)

It's a shame you don't have family or friends in the DFI that could guide you? I had an uncle in the ARW (Rangers). Retired now. He has very mixed feelings on the whole thing. Solid career and money yea but the ethics of the whole thing is very questionable. Anyway your mind is made up! :)

I lived with my grand uncle until he died and he was in the Paratroopers for 30 years or something but at the moment I dont know anyone in there. Yeah its a solid career with steady pay and it is not a boring office job so heres hoping nothing goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

It wont be a problem as long as it does not break guidelines, in an Irish regiment you will get away with it.

In other regiments you will get your leg pulled, peoples attitude will depend on your personality, if you have a outgoing personality and are popular it wont really be an issue.

I have an Irish flag, I got mine after I joined and the worst situation the lads pinned me down and drew a Union Jack over the top with marker pens on a piss up one night. It was done in a good humor sort of way that's hard to explain and I didnt over react so it ended there.

Some lads went over board or reacted badly when comments or pranks were made and it created a situation but at the end of the day the lads respect your origin and most of it is just banter.

krissovo wrote: »
    I have an Irish flag, I got mine after I joined and the worst situation the lads pinned me down and drew a Union Jack over the top with marker pens on a piss up one night. It was done in a good humor sort of way that's hard to explain and I didnt over react so it ended there.

Some lads went over board or reacted badly when comments or pranks were made and it created a situation but at the end of the day the lads respect your origin and most of it is just banter.

I have my application in now and have to go up to Portadown on the 20th for an interview, really cant wait but I have heard there is lots of backlog at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

It's obviously no use to you now but a new recruitment competition for the DF should be starting in the new year.

I understand your predicament, I always wanted to be a soldier growing up. I was lucky enough to get into the DF. If it was a few years later and the DF wasn't recruiting, I'd be gone to the Para's in a heartbeat.

Best of luck with the career.

Your only 5 or 6 weeks away from the DFI recruiting! Hold out!! :)

Yeah I dont care about the IRA/Prod crap please just say on topic, This topic is about will they consider my tattoo offensive not about your views on the IRA there is numerous either threads for that ****e.

I see. And yet your question rotated round whether a UK Armed Forces unit would consider you an IRA supporter because of your tattoo? LOL.

Don't apply to any unit that requires brains my friend.

And for the record, I personally would suspect you of Republican sympathies with the tattoo you describe, as would many others - and would hold that suspicion regardless of any denials.

Poccington wrote: »
    It's obviously no use to you now but a new recruitment competition for the DF should be starting in the new year.

I understand your predicament, I always wanted to be a soldier growing up. I was lucky enough to get into the DF. If it was a few years later and the DF wasn't recruiting, I'd be gone to the Para's in a heartbeat.

Best of luck with the career.

Thanks so much its also helpfull for me because my girlfriend wants to join as a nurse because she is currently studying nursing so would be handy for both of us as a career.

• Advertisement

I see. And yet your question rotated round whether a UK Armed Forces unit would consider you an IRA supporter because of your tattoo? LOL.

Don't apply to any unit that requires brains my friend.

And for the record, I personally would suspect you of Republican sympathies with the tattoo you describe, as would many others - and would hold that suspicion regardless of any denials.

Such tattoos are not unusual in the Irish Guards.

And I find it offensive that he suggested just because I am proud of my country and the tri-colour, I support a terrorist organisation. You can like Ireland and not support the "ra".

by him I mean trendyvicar suggested

Interesting.

And I find it offensive that he suggested just because I am proud of my country and the tri-colour, I support a terrorist organisation. You can like Ireland and not support the "ra".

by him I mean trendyvicar suggested

Didn't The 'RA' found your country?

Oh dear a troll :rolleyes:

A troll with a micro penis perhaps? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

No - but your confusion is understandable as the first 50 TD's all had tricolour tattoos.

I take it with all your opinions you have applied for the Irish defense forces yeah? If not then kindly go away.

Some fascinating responses there. A real insight...

• Advertisement

Some fascinating responses there. A real insight...

You have added nothing but negativity and are coming across as a complete WUM (wind up merchant).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement