Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Well I managed 17 miles at a slow enough pace ~ 8.40 but a lot was cross country as the park was mostly off limits to my route due to the races :-/

anyway, feel a little sore today might get a slightly more cushioned pair for the marathon. I ran it last year in 3.43 with the DS trainers but am aiming for 3.20 this year.

thinking getting the Asics volt which has a 10mm drop to heel compared to my fast switch has 4mm. Also the lunar glides 4 which are probably too cushioned but for easy runs might be nice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My Brooks t5s finally died on me (started causin foot problems) after 4 or 5 years:(

Greatest racing shoe I ever ran in (everything from 5k to HM)

Will be upgrading to the t7s this week to break them in before HM in two week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

ecoli wrote: »
    My Brooks t5s finally died on me (started causin foot problems) after 4 or 5 years
    :eek:

how many miles did you put on them? I'll be lucky to get a year out of my runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

My Brooks t5s finally died on me (started causin foot problems) after 4 or 5 years:(

:eek: :eek:

Frame those babies! Retire them with love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Just got a pair of these:
    1332685188_60456.jpg
    Went for a flat 2km just to try them out, my fastest so far, by a whole 8 seconds :rolleyes:. Knew I was pushing on but the shoes felt so good, light and fast.
    The fit is great in them.
    Coming from Lunarglides and Pegasus I wanted to start with a 9mm drop.
    Will take it easy mileage wise getting used to them.
    They feel real good so far.
    Now what to buy next, both Pegasus and Lunarglides are near retirement, might go for another pair of lunarglide2 on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

b.harte wrote: »
    Just got a pair of these:
    1332685188_60456.jpg
    Went for a flat 2km just to try them out, my fastest so far, by a whole 8 seconds :rolleyes:. Knew I was pushing on but the shoes felt so good, light and fast.
    The fit is great in them.

They're great, aren't they?

Wait til you try these babies...

rsz_newkit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Yup, in about 6 months time all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

rsz_newkit.jpg

I have never had a better shoe than the 233s. Absolutely love them, have 2500km in a pair. I've been mixing them with a pair of 155s lately but I'm moving on to something else.

This morning I went for my first run in a pair of Vivo Barefoot Aqua Lite. A different proposition completely to the 233s. Once I've had a few weeks in them I'll come back with some comments.

00sully wrote: »
    :eek:

how many miles did you put on them? I'll be lucky to get a year out of my runners!

Used to do all my races in them and most of my sessions (2-3 a week) so would be well over the 1000 mile mark anyway
    :eek: :eek:

Frame those babies! Retire them with love.

Intend to the greatest flat I have ever had was gutted when the t6s rolled along so much so that I was reluctant to change until I had to.

They shall be stuffed and mounted and set as an example for my new flats to follow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

New Japan Thunder 4 track spikes arrived today. Kid locked in sweetshop time!

For speed work & track races....To supplement Asics DS racers & Vibrams in current regular use.

now where's the freezer for my poor achilles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Greatest racing shoe I ever ran in (everything from 5k to HM)

Will be upgrading to the t7s this week to break them in before HM in two week

What size are you?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What size are you?

A 9. Ended up picking up the t7s last week and they are grand fit like a glove thankfully. Done 2 sessions in them to get ready for the race this weekend

A 9. Ended up picking up the t7s last week and they are grand fit like a glove thankfully. Done 2 sessions in them to get ready for the race this weekend

No bother - I've a pair of 10's with about 100 miles on them that I use for recovery runs on the treadie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Using Saucony Echelon and new pair of mizuno rider 15's right now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I've been using the 15s now for a few weeks also, liking them, back more like the 11 or 12. They feel a little high though compared to those I think, but it's hard to tell for sure as yet.

I alternate them with precisions so it's not really an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Hi lads and ladies,

Just wondering what would be the best running shoes for in around the 50/60 euro mark and that would offer protection for the back and knees sole wise?

cheers

whatislife wrote: »
    Hi lads and ladies,

Just wondering what would be the best running shoes for in around the 50/60 euro mark and that would offer protection for the back and knees sole wise?

cheers

Very difficult to reccomend anything nevermind for 50-60 euro.
    Maybe try online for something with moderate support and on sale.

What I'm wearing now...

Added to my growing collection of Inov-8 shoes yesterday - thanks to amphkingwest for supplying the Trailroc 245 & at a better deal than you'd find online.

For those who don't know, they're a trail shoe with a 3mm heel-toe drop, which helps me continue my gradual transition towards a flatter minimal shoe.

As last night's club track session was transferred to laps of the soggy pitches next door (I guess an early session in prep for the cross-country season), it was an opportune time to try them out.
    As with all Inov-8 shoes I've got, they are great straight from the box - the shape of the shoe seems to fit my foot & I don't ever seem to have any breaking in issues with them. The trail lugs gave great grip in the muddy conditions which I would have been sliding around in my road shoes.

A 2-mile warm down on the paths provided a chance to see how they went on a variety of surfaces, more grass, some tarmac, gravel & rocky paths, and I have to say the shoe performed very well.

I'll have to get out & try some specific trail runs in the near future & if I dip my toe back into cross-country (haven't done those since school), I guess these will be my go to shoe for now.

First impressions are pretty good though.

What I'm wearing next...
    I mentioned to Sean that I was thinking the next step in my road shoes would be a 3mm drop (currently 6mm on the 233s), but that I wasn't too keen on the current 155s from Inov-8 as they have a very thin sole in comparison to my current shoes. I said I'd like them to bring out something with a similar sole to the 233s but with the lower drop.
    No sooner had I uttered those words than he grabbed a brochure & showed me the road-Xtreme - almost exactly what I was looking for.
    So that will probably be my next shoe, though I'll have to wait til next Spring for the launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

Brooks GTS Adreniline 12...115 Euro Elverys Online. Best runner I have ever owned for longer distance. Im a slight over pronator and was always an Asics GT Man until I tried these on. So much lighter and less clunky than Asics. I do about 30 miles a week in them of distances of 5 to 17 miles. Shorter ditances I still wear the Asics DS. but these puppies will be by Marathon runner..YUP!! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just got my second pair of Nike Lunar Racer's thanks to CL and the guys in Base2Race:D.... I loved the first pair right away but assumed I'd only be able to use them for shorter distances. I found that I was having far less aches and pains when I wore the LR's so kept upping my distance in them and have now run 2 x 20 milers in them... I'll be wearing them in Berlin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

While I don't know what I'll be wearing next, I do know they won't be Asics. I gave up on them for a while because of persistent toe box holes but I switched back to them 6 months ago.

And guess what, another hole in the toe has developed. Asics don't acknowledge there's a design or manufacturing issue and the store won't take them back as they'll be left with them. They've relatively little wear on them otherwise, particularly when compared to the Nike I replaced my previous Asics with, which show no sign of wear on the uppers and they're my general wear and tear dog walking ones at this stage.

Pretty shoddy customer service from them too, store says they won't even send them back for inspection as it's pointless. Compare that to Innov8 who checked out a pair of 8 month old roclites for me due to some studs falling off and acknowledged an issue and replaced them with a brand new pair.

Bye bye Asics, don't care how comfy your shoes are, no more money from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

whatislife wrote: »
    Hi lads and ladies,

cheers

New Balance 860 on Sports direct for 60 sterling. Very good shoe. Have seen them for over 110euro here.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/new-balance-860-vb-mens-running-shoes-212114

Competitor.com Fall Shoe Review
    We tested 27 of the hottest lightweight models you’ll find at your local running store this fall.

The dust is settling from the recent running shoe revolution, and no matter what you think about the über-minimalist shoe designs that fired the first shots across the bow, it appears we’ll all be winners in the end.

RELATED: 2012 Spring-Summer Running Shoe Review

The underlying thinking that started the revolution—namely that every runner is better off by wearing lighter, less constructed and less controlling shoes—will wind up benefitting every runner, even those who couldn’t, wouldn’t or just didn’t make the transition to barely-there shoes. The broad range of shoes in this review include new design ethos, materials and assembly techniques spurred on by the simple, yet revolutionary idea that less is more. —THE EDITORS

Weights listed are for men’s size 9.0 and women’s size 7.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

what does annoy me with the "minimalist tag" put on everything is that they also seem to tag on alot of money even though the shoes must be far less involved to make.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    what does annoy me with the "minimalist tag" put on everything is that they also seem to tag on alot of money even though the shoes must be far less involved to make.

I can see your point with alot of brands but then some shoes like the NB minimus have a Vibram outsole which makes the shoe more durable and adds tothe cost.
    Innov8 seem very expensive in their road range and shoes like the Hattori a crazy price when they are a slipper really.

I can see your point with alot of brands but then some shoes like the NB minimus have a Vibram outsole which makes the shoe more durable and adds tothe cost.
    Innov8 seem very expensive in their road range and shoes like the Hattori a crazy price when they are a slipper really.

There's another issue though in terms of scale. The popular widely recognised brands such as Asics, Adidas, Nike and to a certain extent Saucony & Brooks, have economies of scale that allow them to produce cheaper.

Some of the smaller players like Inov8, Pearl Izoumi, K-Swiss, Vibram would have smaller manufacturing runs in comparison, and so I would imagine, higher costs.

Having said all that, its hard to compare like with like, having been promoting massively cushioned and controlling shoes for years, at a pretty high price (Asics Kayano 18 @ €165 on wiggle anyone?), there's no way the big manufacturers are going to market a revolutionary new running shoe at half the price.

It may take a few years for more minimal shoes to become the norm & the high prices to come down, or maybe the advertisers will dream up new ways to sell us less for the same price. :rolleyes:

For the record, I'm perfectly happy to pay a little more for my current shoes that have so far prevented blisters or niggles that I used to get in my less expensive standard shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Debs_Mann

Nike Air Shox at the moment, due to lower back problems, i find these the most comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Has anyone got the Lunarglide 4? If so how do you find them compared to the LG3's?

I'm still looking for a replacement shoe to the LG3 which I found great but always thought they were an ugly shoe :)

Currently looking at the LG4 or possibly the Skechers Go Run Ride

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I have the 4's and initially found them great but after putting miles up on them im not too sure.I was alternating 2 pairs of 3's and training for DCM with no problems but since ive started using the 4's,ive picked up medial head gastrocnemius strain. I find the shoe a nicer fit than the 3,they are 35g lighter BUT I find the cushioning way softer and therein lies the problem methinks. They are ok for shorter stuff but i'll be sticking to the 3's for lsr's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

After a & already going through 3 pairs of Lunarglides3's this year I went about getting a pair of the 4's but after getting gait analysis done & trying on several pairs of runners including the Lunargide 4's I settled on a pair of Nike Zoom Elite +. Have done 78 miles in them over the last 9 days including a 17 mile run & find them great so far.Like the Lunarglides the Elites have dynamic support but apparently the support is not as strong as the Lunargides(hope that makes sense:D)

Advertisement