Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

2 months since I've bought a pair of runners, which is a long time for me. I've ran almost 500 miles since then, so I'm due a pair right?
    Anyone know if Brooks are releasing an ST6 and when? Thinking ahead to a spring marathon shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Santa came early to North Cork:
    Inov-8 Terrafly 303
    dscn0872j.jpg

The Good bits:
    Light, Comfortable (ish), Blue! Nice roomy toe box and a good fit across the foot and heel.
    The bad bits:
    To be honest I was expecting a better shoe.
    I love my Road-X and in all of my runs with them I've never experienced any hot spots or blisters. The toe box on the right shoe, not the left, seems to flex awkwardly, a crease seems to form diagonally (see pic), the result is a string of blisters / abrasions along the tops of all my toes.
    I was sock-less so that may have been a factor, but I run sock-less in the Road-X and this never occurs.
    dscn0873p.jpg
    Grip wise I have no major complaints, there are good on the terrain they are designed for, comfortable on road and gravel but there is noticeable side slip on grass/moss. There is no grip on large wet stones or in mud.
    It was only a 5km test run on very mixed terrain and they coped well enough, as well as my normal Adidas Kanadia trail shoes, but at over twice the price I wasn't blown away.
    Overall I wasn't any slower on the circuit than usual but I definitely held back on the faster descents because of the slipping.
    I do think they will be a great shoe in drier conditions, they want to go faster, and if I'm honest after the initial slip they did dig in.
    They will get lots of use, but I would guess I won't go too far off road in them, ideal for the usual forest roads I run on, but not so ideal for older overgrown tracks.
    The lacing is a bit weird as well, the last eye is very far back, I just unlaced as it was putting pressure on the top of my foot, very comfortable after doing this.

Overall, a bit hit 'n' miss, a nice hybrid. Maybe more suited to the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

b.harte wrote: »
    Santa came early to North Cork:
    Inov-8 Terrafly 303
    dscn0872j.jpg

The Good bits:
    Light, Comfortable (ish), Blue! Nice roomy toe box and a good fit across the foot and heel.
    The bad bits:
    To be honest I was expecting a better shoe.
    I love my Road-X and in all of my runs with them I've never experienced any hot spots or blisters. The toe box on the right shoe, not the left, seems to flex awkwardly, a crease seems to form diagonally (see pic), the result is a string of blisters / abrasions along the tops of all my toes.
    I was sock-less so that may have been a factor, but I run sock-less in the Road-X and this never occurs.
    dscn0873p.jpg
    Grip wise I have no major complaints, there are good on the terrain they are designed for, comfortable on road and gravel but there is noticeable side slip on grass/moss. There is no grip on large wet stones or in mud.
    It was only a 5km test run on very mixed terrain and they coped well enough, as well as my normal Adidas Kanadia trail shoes, but at over twice the price I wasn't blown away.
    Overall I wasn't any slower on the circuit than usual but I definitely held back on the faster descents because of the slipping.
    I do think they will be a great shoe in drier conditions, they want to go faster, and if I'm honest after the initial slip they did dig in.
    They will get lots of use, but I would guess I won't go too far off road in them, ideal for the usual forest roads I run on, but not so ideal for older overgrown tracks.
    The lacing is a bit weird as well, the last eye is very far back, I just unlaced as it was putting pressure on the top of my foot, very comfortable after doing this.

Overall, a bit hit 'n' miss, a nice hybrid. Maybe more suited to the road.

Won a half marathon offroad in them and then a stress fracture 2 days after.Poor traction on them but comfortable and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Spent ages on line earlier today looking for a replacement pair of runners. Have been in these since last January and there is nearly a hole in the sole.

Cant get my size in this country and have had bad experiences with shoes I have bought in shops here. Guess you have to take your chance with what comes in the post , sometimes.

At the moment I am in adidas response I think. Usually just have the one pair on the go .

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Anyone have experience with Innov-8 Oroc 340's?

They are on sale for €60 on Sportsshoes.com which is good value. Saving of €100. Good range of sizes too.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/INO204/inov~8-oroc-340-running-shoes/

They look good and the grip looks good on them too. In the end I went with what I know & bought a pair of Salomon Speedcross but I'd nearly get these too if there was decent feedback.

What I love about the Salomons is the lightness & flexibility of the main shoe body. My experience with Innov-8 is they are very tough & heavy along the main body.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I'm finally taking the plunge to transitioning away from Kayanos.

I've a pair of Mizuno Elixir 3s, bought in 2008, that have served me very well in races up to marathon, and am going to switch to the Elixir as my training runner. Got delivery of the Elixir 7 a couple of days ago. Seriously flashy yellow tiger-striped number, fairly lightweight, but with enough support to be a training shoe for most sessions. I’ll probably still use the Kayanos for training runs of 18+ miles.

I also pushed the boat out to get a pair of Asics Gel Hyperspeed for short races. Used them on a 5k so far, and they feel excellent. Very, very light. I’m a mild over-pronator, but didn’t feel any issues with the shoe. I'm not sure if they'd hold up on anything longer than 10k, but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Innov-8 Oroc 340's?

They are on sale for €60 on Sportsshoes.com which is good value. Saving of €100. Good range of sizes too.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/INO204/inov~8-oroc-340-running-shoes/

They look good and the grip looks good on them too. In the end I went with what I know & bought a pair of Salomon Speedcross but I'd nearly get these too if there was decent feedback.

What I love about the Salomons is the lightness & flexibility of the main shoe body. My experience with Innov-8 is they are very tough & heavy along the main body.

Any thoughts?

Sorry, this is old now, but the Oroc has titanium spikes in the sole & is a specific orienteering shoe. It really is an off trail shoe with the spikes giving grip over wet logs, stumps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Anyone tried out the Skechers GoRun series of running shoes. I haven't tried either model the GoRun yet, but I was very impressed by the look and feel of the first GoRun. They are just incredibly light and flexible yet still provide nice bouncy cushioned feel to them. The only thing which put me off the first GoRun model was the arch in the middle of them, which certainly protrudes and feels very different.

Apparently, the GoRun 2 has now removed this arch making them a more regular shape so these may well be on my list of purchases

Some info listed here although no review yet:
    http://www.runblogger.com/2012/12/top-5-transitional-road-running-shoes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

I'm a neutral with a mid- to forefoot strike.

I am currently in Nike Flex - no problems. they're light and perfect for neutral & my strike pattern.

I'm thinking ahead to when I will replace etc. but don't want to change too much as these work for me but I want a little more cushion in the mid/forefoot section and a bit lighter. I do 5km & 10 km roadracing...

Currently lookng at Nike Zoom Elite...but would be interested in anyone's suggestions, advice or recommendations on upgrades...

Also, how do returns work if you have problems with a shoe after a run or more - put it down to a costly experience? I had to bring an Asics back to Elvery's as it was totally the wrong shoe for me and it was a women's shoe ('not fit for purpose' in this case) - I'm a bloke btw.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

QandA wrote: »
    I'm a neutral with a mid- to forefoot strike.

I am currently in Nike Flex - no problems. they're light and perfect for neutral & my strike pattern.

I'm thinking ahead to when I will replace etc. but don't want to change too much as these work for me but I want a little more cushion in the mid/forefoot section and a bit lighter. I do 5km & 10 km roadracing...

Currently lookng at Nike Zoom Elite...but would be interested in anyone's suggestions, advice or recommendations on upgrades...

I got a bright snazzy yellow pair of zoom elites last year and I have to say that my favourite thing about them is the colour! I know it is a very subjective thing, but I never grew to love them, not like you should. They just never seemed to mold themselves to my feet. I have read posts from others who could not speak highly enough of them though.

I basically have 2 types of runners on the go all the time:
    - heavier, cushioned shoes for LSR's, I usually have Asics Nimbus or Mizuno Wave Riders for this and would happily recommend either (apart from Asics rip off prices :mad:)
    - lighter shoes for racing/speed/tempo runs, I currently have Brooks ST5's and Mizuno Elixirs

I would happily recommend any of those shoes, based on my experience. Of all of them however, the ST5's are definitely my favourite. They just felt right from the first time I wore them, they are really light and responsive and they seemed to just fit me immediately. I have worn them up to HM races without a problem.

I know it is a very subjective thing and what works for me may not necessarily work for you, but hope that helps.

PS I also have a neutral gait and run mainly 5 and 10k's

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    I got a bright snazzy yellow pair of zoom elites last year and I have to say that my favourite thing about them is the colour! I know it is a very subjective thing, but I never grew to love them, not like you should. They just never seemed to mold themselves to my feet. I have read posts from others who could not speak highly enough of them though.

I basically have 2 types of runners on the go all the time:
    - heavier, cushioned shoes for LSR's, I usually have Asics Nimbus or Mizuno Wave Riders for this and would happily recommend either (apart from Asics rip off prices :mad:)
    - lighter shoes for racing/speed/tempo runs, I currently have Brooks ST5's and Mizuno Elixirs

I would happily recommend any of those shoes, based on my experience. Of all of them however, the ST5's are definitely my favourite. They just felt right from the first time I wore them, they are really light and responsive and they seemed to just fit me immediately. I have worn them up to HM races without a problem.

I know it is a very subjective thing and what works for me may not necessarily work for you, but hope that helps.

PS I also have a neutral gait and run mainly 5 and 10k's

Thanks for that, wrstan.

Yep, I agree - it is difficult/subjective trying to get advice on 'the best shoes to wear' considering all the variables it entails (unique feet and styles for a start!)...but I will use this as a good guide!

I'm gonna look at the two racers you mention, Brooks ST5's and Mizuno Elixirs as well as the Zoom when I go on the hunt for a new pair and see how they 'fit' ...I had a bad experience in Asics and I'm steering clear for now - at the moment, I only have one pair on the go but that may change soon - I'm only running since August last year so, I'll need something more suitable than the racers for the long runs in the future..

For now, I want to get a decent short-list of lighter shoes for intervals etc. & races - I'm hoping this list will help me to focus on a handful & help make the selection a little easier, so appreciate the reply - great help, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭Cartman78

nellocono wrote: »
    Anyone tried out the Skechers GoRun series of running shoes. I haven't tried either model the GoRun yet, but I was very impressed by the look and feel of the first GoRun. They are just incredibly light and flexible yet still provide nice bouncy cushioned feel to them. The only thing which put me off the first GoRun model was the arch in the middle of them, which certainly protrudes and feels very different.

Apparently, the GoRun 2 has now removed this arch making them a more regular shape so these may well be on my list of purchases

Some info listed here although no review yet:
    http://www.runblogger.com/2012/12/top-5-transitional-road-running-shoes.html
    Stumbled into a Skechers shop yesterday while killing time waiting for the missus.....would be interested to hear some feedback on the Skechers range too?

The 2 main features are:
    1) They are extremely light and
    2) They are extremely colourful

A geniune piece of running equipment or another cool looking shoe that you can dazzle your colleagues with on casual Fridays??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Just ordered a pair of Nike Free 4.0 V2, and I'm really looking forward to trying them. I got a good deal on them, and plan on using them mainly for 400m-600m intervals on the track, and 6-10km runs. Anyone had experience with these, reviews seem generally positive online. Nike%20Free%204.0%20V2%20Blue%20Green.jpg

Will update after I've gotten a couple of weeks' use out of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I was thinking of changing form the Kinvara 2 to the Aidos 2 as some of the reviews I've read have mentioned the stiffer sole (around the forefoot) helps with foot fatigue over longer distances. Although the 9mm heel to toe drop is putting me off somewhat and I'm kinda leaning back towards the Kinvara 3. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I'm wearing Brooks Ravennas at the moment but have been having achilles problem for the last couple of months. I've just ordered a pair of puma faas 800s on wiggle. Only 42 euro and a friend had recommended them. I'm a bit worried about them. Anyone have any experience with these shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I'm wearing Brooks Ravennas at the moment but have been having achilles problem for the last couple of months. I've just ordered a pair of puma faas 800s on wiggle. Only 42 euro and a friend had recommended them. I'm a bit worried about them. Anyone have any experience with these shoes?

What made you go for the puma faas?
    (apart from the obvious!;))

Like I said a friend had recommended them to me before. I was looking for new shoes anyway and when I saw them I said why not? (And yes I am a cheapskate!!:p) They're also a bit different to look at! (these are grey and bright orange!!) I had also tried them on in shops before and liked the feel and fit. They've since arrived and I've taken them out twice. One interval session on a gravel track and an 8 mile road run. They're nice and light and feel like they have plenty of support along with nice cushioning. I'm a bit worried though that during the road run I developed hot spots under the balls of my feet! Hopefully this is only part of the breaking in process as they do feel much different to my Ravennas

Just ordered a pair of Nike Free 4.0 V2, and I'm really looking forward to trying them. I got a good deal on them, and plan on using them mainly for 400m-600m intervals on the track, and 6-10km runs. Anyone had experience with these, reviews seem generally positive online. Nike%20Free%204.0%20V2%20Blue%20Green.jpg

Will update after I've gotten a couple of weeks' use out of them!

Hey OS - how are the Frees working out for you? I wear Flex so wondering how you're finding these...thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

QandA wrote: »
    Hey OS - how are the Frees working out for you? I wear Flex so wondering how you're finding these...thanks!

Short answer: They're going well!

I will qualify that by saying that I have done very little mileage in them, and mainly used them in the gym and for warming up/cooling down for track sessions. I did use them for a 3x400m interval session (yes I know, only 3, but I was not in the best shape that day...) and they held up well with the fast pace.

I find them very flexible, as you'd expect with all those gashes (can't remember the lingo Nike use) cut into the sole. As a result your calves and ankle do more work during foot-strike but I haven't had any unusual pains or anything since I started wearing them. They're in the middle of the range of Nike Frees I think, but if you're an experienced runner it's OK to begin with them if you're looking to transition to more minimalist runners.

They also look amazing, and as an added bonus I realised on opening the box that they are in the colours of my new club, MSB.

Short answer: They're going well!

I will qualify that by saying that I have done very little mileage in them, and mainly used them in the gym and for warming up/cooling down for track sessions. I did use them for a 3x400m interval session (yes I know, only 3, but I was not in the best shape that day...) and they held up well with the fast pace.

I find them very flexible, as you'd expect with all those gashes (can't remember the lingo Nike use) cut into the sole. As a result your calves and ankle do more work during foot-strike but I haven't had any unusual pains or anything since I started wearing them. They're in the middle of the range of Nike Frees I think, but if you're an experienced runner it's OK to begin with them if you're looking to transition to more minimalist runners.

They also look amazing, and as an added bonus I realised on opening the box that they are in the colours of my new club, MSB.

Cheers for that. I'm looking to transition from the Flex but sounds like these are similar shoe...looking at some others too (some previous posts above) but taking my time over it! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

http://www.adidas.co.uk/null/overlay-boost-video,en_GB,pg.html

The new Adidas Boost Energy. Are we about to witness a revolution in running shoes or just another marketing gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Saturday was a sad day indeed, the day I finally let go of my trusty steeds, the Brooks Green Silence. I've had them for 21 months and I reckon there's about a 1000 miles in them, but their time had come.
    Yesterday, however, was a much happier occasion as I opened my desk drawer in work and took out...my new Green Silences!

Hooray for the silence. Fitting them on alongside each other, it was immediately obvious how degraded the old ones have become.

wp000275.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I've got the Brooks Adrenalin GTS 12... about 300 Miles on them. starting to look quite worn on the soles so I'm looking at a new pair in the coming weeks. Not sure whether to stick with them as they are the first pair that I've had very little shin/calf issues in (but that could be just the muscles getting stronger etc).
    I see there is a new pair of GTS 13... are they available here & has anyone tried them? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I've got the Brooks Adrenalin GTS 12... about 300 Miles on them. starting to look quite worn on the soles so I'm looking at a new pair in the coming weeks. Not sure whether to stick with them as they are the first pair that I've had very little shin/calf issues in (but that could be just the muscles getting stronger etc).
    I see there is a new pair of GTS 13... are they available here & has anyone tried them? Thanks

Saw the GTS 13 in Elvery's in the Pavilions in Swords the other day for 130euro, they also have the Brooks Ghost. I'd of gotten them myself only they only do up to size 12 in them.

I've been running the past 9 months in the GTS 12 and I think retirement is on the cards for them. I found them a great shoe.

Yes the Brooks GTS13 are available in Ireland.

The fact that you are having few / no issues would indicate that they are possibly the correct shoe for your foot. These shoes are all about support and foot alignment.

seanmacc wrote: »
    Saw the GTS 13 in Elvery's in the Pavilions in Swords the other day for 130euro, they also have the Brooks Ghost. I'd of gotten them myself only they only do up to size 12 in them.

I've been running the past 9 months in the GTS 12 and I think retirement is on the cards for them. I found them a great shoe.

The Brooks Ghost is an entirely different shoe to the Adrenaline GTS 13. They are not interchangeable with each other.

You should have no problem getting up to size 14 Brooks shoes in a specialist running store. They also won't cost you as much.;)

The Gts 12s are still available on wiggle for around €74/75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

The Brooks Ghost is an entirely different shoe to the Adrenaline GTS 13. They are not interchangeable with each other.

You should have no problem getting up to size 14 Brooks shoes in a specialist running store. They also won't cost you as much.;)

Tried a few of the specialist shops but they were an order in job.

Trying to get another couple of months out of my GTS 12. If I can make them last until June I'm going to the States and there's a specialty store near where I used to live that has a massive range (FitrightNW). The specialty stores over here are grand but the shop in the States will let you try everything the have in stock and they always have my size to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dali Farmer

nellocono wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I always am interested in what other runners are wearing and I always tend to look at others shoes in races...:D

Just wondering, what shoe are you wearing now, your reason for wearing it and what you plan on purchasing next?

Cheers.

I'm wearing a pair of Vibrams. Tried them after a nasty episode of shin splints. I really like them (after a settling in period). Should stress that I am an amateur, but regularly run 20-25k in them

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Saturday was a sad day indeed, the day I finally let go of my trusty steeds, the Brooks Green Silence. I've had them for 21 months and I reckon there's about a 1000 miles in them, but their time had come.
    Yesterday, however, was a much happier occasion as I opened my desk drawer in work and took out...my new Green Silences!

Hooray for the silence. Fitting them on alongside each other, it was immediately obvious how degraded the old ones have become.

good shoes, why get that awful colourscheme twice though!

Advertisement