Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Size 9

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058338718/for-sale-saucony-endorphin-pro-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭py

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi folks, need a new pair as my achilles is starting to act up.

Currently have Kayanos and they were fine but found them a bitch to wear in, numbing the feet, but grand after a while.

Any recommendations for something 80 quid or so?

Road running, maybe only 20k per week at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The Saucony triumph 20 are 89 euro on sportshoes.com, a few sizes left in mens and womans. Just put 500 mile on pair without fault.

Also the Saucony axon 3, great shoe, priced at 63 euro on sports shoes, I put a few hundred miles on pair last year, fantastic shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

Novablast 3 for me. Lovely cushioned shoe for easy runs.

I've 700k on my current pair and still going strong. Should be able to pick up somewhere for circa 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

I ordered the Puma Velocity Nitro 2 on sportsdirect.com at 66 euro two days ago.

I guess the Triumph 20 were not available for the user, assuming male, above because they have only had the women's version for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Looking at buying the Hoka Mach 6. I have a Me2You voucher that I want to use but can't find anywhere to buy them yet!

The Sports Room have them but can access the card over the phone error is coming up for them.

Anywhere else?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

The Mach 5 are in Elverys if that's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Did a Hoka try on their cielo x1 shoes last night with Rubhub over in Ashtown. My first time to ever wear a 'supershoe' and was worth it for the experience. Honestly would be pointless me getting a pair, you'd want to be doing sub 5min K's to see any benefit, accorded to those more knowledgeable who were there.

Felt very weird, slightly unstable, I wear Novablast 3's currently, but undoubtedly made me quicker. I might gain double digit seconds over a 5 or 10K. Did I feel a bounce and energy return...again and it's my running style but coming from the novablast, which when I PB'ed my Parkrun time in their first outing, there wasn't a huge extra for me. Couldn't even imagine wearing them for a full marathon. Again, from those more knowledgeable there, Nike won't be worried by them.

Considering I'd get a pair of novablast 3's and Nimbus 25's for the same price on asics outlet, that just makes more sense for me. In saying all that, one pair were bought last night, so one person felt they are worth the price.

Fairplay to Hoka and the Runhub for putting on events like this, cost €5 to book which I then spent in the store, pizza afterwards and a gift from Hoka, had a about 1 in 30 chance of winning a pair of Hoka's so win win. Runhub do these events fairly regularly (my second) so give them a follow.

• Advertisement

You never know, I remember running solely in Brooks ghost, training and finishing my first marathon in 2019, told anyone who would listen how brilliant they were; then I bought a pair of Saucony speed(OG) and thought they were the greatest shoe in existence, not long after I bought a pair of vaporflys and they rocked my world only to be outshone by the alphafly a few months later. No harm in having a pair of super shoes. I must keep an eye out for these events, sounds fun and I love pizza

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was at it as well. I thought it was a really good event. I didn't get to try the Cielos but did try the Mach 6 and I liked them a lot. I would be tempted to get a pair but I'll wait until they go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Has anyone ever bought from https://21run.com/eu/ ?? some good prices just want to know everything is legit.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

Anyone try the Novablast 4s yet? I'll be replacing my 3s soon and am wondering if there's much difference between the 3s and 4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Apparently they have lost the fun of the novablast 3. Get the 3 from the asics outlet fir €100 while you can

The novablast 3 are a comfortable daily shoe but absolutely rubbish in the wet, ice rink material. Hopefully the 4 is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I've been running in the TR (trail) version of the Novablast 3 over the last couple of months. Would not use them on proper 'trails' but their grip was better.

Picked up a pair of the Endorphin Edge as a replacement for my now binned Hoka Speedboat 3s. Will report back on how they feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

Just picked up a pair of brooks hyperion max for €99 from this place in Kerry, https://henneberysports.ie/mens-brooks/page/2/. Seems like a good price and was after something light for speedwork (they certainly are light, only 240 grams in a UK 10.5), will take them out for a test run this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

This is probably a question where the answer depends on the individual; I have been running for about 3 years and heading towards the big 50. In the last year I have been able to run more consistently and do a range of sessions, as a result my times have improved. I do 5km up to half marathon.

For a race I run in saucony endorphin speed 3 and for all training runs I have saucony triumph 20/21.

My question for experienced runners is do they think a change in shoe for race days would help in terms of times; as a gauge of where I am at for 5km I have gone from 22 min to 19min 30 with the goal of trying to break 19min. For 10 miles I have gone from 78 to 68 min and I have only done one half marathon but hoping to break 1hr 35min this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

If you like the Triumph and Speeds then give the pro 3 a shot. More bounce then the speed, lighter and I find them great food race day. I think you'd see an improvement in times with them. They are probably poorest for a 5k but very well set up for a hm. Keep an eye out for bargains as the pro 4 is out, June and July are good times for deals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭sk8board

If you’re running a 19:30 5k, but a 1:35 Half, the weight and economy gains from a carbon shoe would definitely help you, especially over the longer distances - the Endorphin Pro 3 (on a sale price now that the 4 is out) would be a great shout I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

With a 19:30 5K and 68 min 10K I would be targeting closer to 1:30 for the half, maybe 1:31?

easily yep. Punch in your 5k time to the McMillan calculator online, and it’ll give you a very good guide for other race distances (assuming you did a training block for it obviously)

It says low 1:30’s - you could target a sub 1:30 for sure

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/dashboard/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Hi,

Wondering if someone can help me on a new running shoes. A few years ago I got a gait anaylsis and was told I overpronate in right foot so to use stability shoes. That is fine but I feel on the same foot I have a slight bunion at the side of my big toe. It has not got worse at all and it could be the shape of my foot just. Zero issues with it in every day shoes out and about.

Last runners I had there Asics Kayanos 28 and they were mostly fine but with foot swelling I would get chaving on big toe but could get away with it with thin socks and when the shoes were well worn in. Then I was thinking maybe a wide fit shoe and tried Hoka Arahi 6 but the inside of the same foot blistered so I think they were too wide through the midfoot and not getting support. I mostly stuck to the Kayanos.

Just looking for advice on some options to narrow down when I go to try. What I think I need is a regular stability shoe which is a bit more forgiving around the outside of the big toe but not too wide around the rest of the foot. Would wide fit be overkill for regular feet with a slight protusion at the big toe? No issues at all with left foot.

I stuck these parameters into ChatGTP for the craic and it suggested Brooks Adrenaline 23. I wonder how they would be as I would prefer knowledge from a real person. Thanks.

The answer is very simple, if you want to improve your 5k and 10k then buy a pair of Nike Vaporfly or Alphafly, 90% of athletes see immediate improvement, light years ahead of the Speed 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Have had no joy getting the Endorphin Pro 3 in my size, with the exception of the pink which is not what I am looking for. I went on to sportshoes.com to see what they had in the Pro 4s. Got prompted with a 15% discount for the Easter weekend. Works in £ but not in €. Have emailed them to see if it they can fix it or help me out. I can pay in £ but have my reasons for looking for a € invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Cannot take to the Zoom Fly 5, have given it near a hundred miles but still feels overly rigid and find the upper and heel far too stiff.

Nike really going backwards at a rate of knots, can't believe they abandoned the zoom tempo so easily. Nothing really mid range now somewhere between the Pegasus and the Invincible/VF. Infinity I want to try but pricing is daft at the moment.

On to Puma or Saucony it is then. God be with the days of the DS trainer.

• Advertisement

I agree Re the Tempo, but if myself and almost all my clubmates are anything to go by, the Tempo’s probably cost them a lot of money to replace so many pairs when they split.

Advertisement