Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fjon wrote: »
    I meant Kinsella's, not Kennedy's. It went to being a cafe and then O'Sullivans
    Now that I think of it, there used to be a pub where Everest Music now is.
    I could be remembering the name of the place wrong, but I thought this pub/ hotel was called Blacks:
    https://goo.gl/maps/mhoHvAgeY1m8tgqD9

Ah yes, that used to be The Sunnybank and then became The Stove Inn which was a restaurant and I think the bar was called Blacks.

Think it was named after the colour of the balaclavas of the rumoured owners/investors.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

kian163 wrote: »
    New openings: The Hot Box serving toasties is newly opened in the main street arcade. Also Planet A, a zero waste grocery shop is coming soon.

This is the type of shop I like to see coming to Bray :)

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Was it called The Station?

I think it was. Took them days of meetings to decide on that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah yes, that used to be The Sunnybank and then became The Stove Inn which was a restaurant and I think the bar was called Blacks.

Think it was named after the colour of the balaclavas of the rumoured owners/investors.:D

Sunnybank is the one where Everest Music is now. What about the one in the google maps link I shared - anyone remember that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Sunnybank is the one where Everest Music is now. What about the one in the google maps link I shared - anyone remember that one?

The B&B / Hotel wasn't called Blacks - it will come to me soon (or I'll ask the folks). Was it some thing beginning with 'F'

I remember being sent as a kid into buy some bottles of pineapple juice for a party they were having. Was dark and dingy.

Blacks was the last name of the bar when they decided to change it into a wine bar which had a really cheap sign outside. God knows what it was like inside. Don't think it had been done up in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I meant Kinsella's, not Kennedy's. It went to being a cafe and then O'Sullivans

That was McCormacks and then another name - Dont think it was kinsellas at any stage

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Was it not called the Pickled Pig?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭barsan

Other Pubs now gone

Cois Farraige - Seafront - Where the New Apartment are being built
    Doon a Lawn - Seafront
    Shillelagh - Quinns Borro Road
    Bridge House - Opposite the Royal Hotel
    Sugar Loaf - Main Street
    Murphys Pub - Far end of the Peoples Park
    Lenihans - Main Street ( Had a Bar and a Lounge)
    MayFair - I think was the one highlighted on Google Maps
    Dug Inn - Opposite the Hibernia
    Glen Malure - Main Street not far from the Holy Red

There was one other pub on main street that i remember just where Reids Book Shop was , cant remember the name though

Mc Cormacks i think was called something like Cullineanes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

barsan wrote: »

That's the one

• Advertisement

Other Pubs now gone

Cois Farraige - Seafront - Where the New Apartment are being built
    Doon a Lawn - Seafront
    Shillelagh - Quinns Borro Road
    Bridge House - Opposite the Royal Hotel
    Sugar Loaf - Main Street
    Murphys Pub - Far end of the Peoples Park
    Lenihans - Main Street ( Had a Bar and a Lounge)
    Dug Inn - Opposite the Hibernia
    Glen Malure - Main Street not far from the Holy Red

There was one other pub on main street that i remember just where Reids Book Shop was , cant remember the name though

Maybe you are thinking of the Brewmaster (The Tartan in the 70s I think) which is where Eddie Rockets is now

Terry Pratchet

Annasopra wrote: »
    Was it not called the Pickled Pig?

Yes. It was but I think it had a few names. Not sure though.

Mc Cormacks i think was called something like Cullineanes

I remember it being McCormacks. I cant remember the name of it after that but it wasnt Kinsellas or Cullinanes

Terry Pratchet

Yes - It maybe the Tartan that i am thinking about - I am going back to the early 70s - I remember it was turned into a Bank , the TSB I think

Yes - It maybe the Tartan that i am thinking about - I am going back to the early 70s - I remember it was turned into a Bank , the TSB I think

The Tartan became the Brewmaster and was where Eddie Rockets is now

You are right though Trustee Savings Bank was around where Reids was

Terry Pratchet

I remember it being McCormacks. I cant remember the name of it after that but it wasnt Kinsellas or Cullinanes
    Wasn't it called Kavanagh's?

Thats it. I knew it wasnt the others.

Terry Pratchet

The Tartan became the Brewmaster and was where Eddie Rockets is now

You are right though Trustee Savings Bank was around where Reids was

I also think it was called "Tuck's 19th" before it bacame The Tartan.

Also remember The Boomerang Bar being "Henry Moore & Sons".

Thats it. I knew it wasnt the others.

7925273316_e3c7013899_b.jpg

Proof.:)

I also think it was called "Tuck's 19th" before it bacame The Tartan.

Also remember The Boomerang Bar being "Henry Moore & Sons".

I think those were all in the 70s or possibly early 80s.

I think it may have had a name after The Tartan

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I think those were all in the 70s or possibly early 80s.

I think it may have had a name after The Tartan

Yes definitely the 70s.

After the Tartan I thought it became the Brewmaster, awful dive, and then became Eddie Rocketts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Kavanaghs/ Kinsellas/ Kennedys - too many K’s!
    And yes, the other place I was remembering was the Mayfair

Yes definitely the 70s.

After the Tartan I thought it became the Brewmaster, awful dive, and then became Eddie Rocketts.

It wasnt the brewmaster till the 90s though

Terry Pratchet

It wasnt the brewmaster till the 90s though

I think it was the Tartan for a long time but I think the Brewmaster came in the late 80s.

Kavanaghs/ Kinsellas/ Kennedys - too many K’s!
    And yes, the other place I was remembering was the Mayfair

Only one K in Kavanagh's?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Speaking of old restaurants, the Chinese on the main st (jasmine something)? Has been there for a very long time. Could it the the oldest sit-down restaurant in Bray?

Jasmine House definitely going since the 70's. How do I know?

My parents were brought there the day of my Christening by my Godfather. I was born in 1979.

For those interested in the opinion of David McWilliams on why the likes of Bray and Dun Loaghire will benefit from Covid.

Have a listen to the WTS (Whats the Story Podcast) No.237. Can be found on Spotify. WTS Podcast is hosted by 2 lads from Ballybrack.

David McWilliams makes some very good points in regards to how these towns will benefit with people working from home.

Anybody got any updates on the new shopping centre?

I work in construction myself and can understand a delay in mobilising a site team to start again in short notice but if it was to continue on into next month you would be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Anybody got any updates on the new shopping centre?

I work in construction myself and can understand a delay in mobilising a site team to start again in short notice but if it was to continue on into next month you would be concerned.

Bray chamber posted on Facebook that work has restarted this week. I could see workers up on scaffolding last Saturday.

• Advertisement

Bray chamber posted on Facebook that work has restarted this week. I could see workers up on scaffolding last Saturday.

Drove by the site there at 9am. No sign of life on the site again today.

Advertisement