Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I was down on the main street in Bray today and there did not seem to be an activity on the new shopping centre - even though construction was re-opened last Monday.
    Is this stalled yet again? Is it ever going to get finished?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Main Street looks pretty depressing at the moment. It’s sad to see. I think that the proliferation of coffee shops doesn’t do Bray any favors. We need a variety of shop types to attract customers to The area. I’m just hoping that the new shopping center will kick start this process, assuming it ever gets finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

2011 wrote: »
    The Main Street looks pretty depressing at the moment. It’s sad to see. I think that the proliferation of coffee shops doesn’t do Bray any favors. We need a variety of shop types to attract customers to The area. I’m just hoping that the new shopping center will kick start this process, assuming it ever gets finished.

Decent coffee shops like Copper & Straw add to the Main St and give me a reason for heading to that part if the Main St.

Plus it's better to have shops used than vacant.

Gusto brings the Queniborough Road to life. Glovers the Meath Road. Cafe Literature and The 3 Owls the Albert Walk.

I'd happily open a shop on the Main St if I thought it would have enough local support but seeing the likes of Allen's close, high rents and unfortunately, the Monday to Friday 9 to 5 clientle on the Main St would put me off.

The new centre will certainly bring an injection of life to the area which will be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,971 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is Glovers not closed on Meath Road?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Annasopra wrote:

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I actually disagree with this and I think people need to change their mindset.,

The old ways of Main St shopping are dead. People are either buying on-line or buying in larger chain stores like Penneys or at shopping centres.

People here target coffee shops as being responsible for lack of choice in Bray and death of the shopping street. I don’t agree that there’s a proliferation of coffee shops.
    I wouldn’t call a place where you can get a full lunch a coffee shop either, that’s a restaurant. Places that have good food options create a sub-culture and attract people. Even in the new shopping centre that will open soon enough there will be plenty of food options as that’s what will attract people.

The future of normal shops is services. People don’t complain when a new hairdresser, pharmacy, barber or beautician opens but in my opinion Bray is dominated by them more so than “coffee-shops”.

So people demanding a variety of shops to attract people is just not going to work as there are larger and better options available in Dundrum and on-line and I think Bray needs to be different. The increase in restaurants has been good for the seafront and the Main Street is going to have to re-position itself to stay vibrant too and I think the more lunch spots and cultural options that attract people the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, people will come into smaller shopping areas like Bray for services, not so much traditional retail, though niche shops might have a future.

Get your hair done, go for a coffee, go to the cinema (if it ever opens).

Look at Greystones, there seems to be no upper limit on the the amount food and coffee outlets that can be opened and the place is busy all the time.

Yes, Greystones is a good example, people travel to the destination. Some even go because of The Happy Pear which has a high profile.

These places also bring more vibrancy and security at night rather than having deserted shopping streets.
    I would argue that Dun Laoghaire is in the process of re-inventing itself too, shopping centre is desolate but outside more food and services options are opening all the time.

The seafront is packed in Bray most weekends as people are attracted to the sea, Bray Head, Cliff walk and outside of Covid the bars and restaurants. Not shops.

The main street needs to do the same and reposition itself when Bray Town Centre comes online as I think a shop that was like Allen’s, Anvils or Dicker’s is just not going to survive anymore.

Also, the one thing that I definitely don’t want to see more of us charity shops. There’s far too many of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

murpho999 wrote: »
    I actually disagree with this and I think people need to change their mindset.,

So you think that Bray needs more coffee shops?
    Or do you think that the shopping center on the main street will not be a welcome addition?
    Or both?

Some may remember when the choice of coffee shops in bray were limited to Molloys and
    Muffins .

The last time iwas in molloys about 7 years ago, I was asked "black or white" when ordering a coffee and lemon from a plastic jif lemon for my pancakes....

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Some may remember when the choice of coffee shops in bray were limited to Molloys and
    Muffins .

The last time iwas in molloys about 7 years ago, I was asked "black or white" when ordering a coffee and lemon from a plastic jif lemon for my pancakes....

I remember this :)
    I think we can all agree that this is no longer the case.
    Now you can have fabulous coffee in dozens of locations within Bray.

Personally I would rather see the shopping center open than another few coffee shops.

Annasopra wrote: »
    marko99 wrote: »
    No.

They have also taken on the unit next door to them.

New openings: The Hot Box serving toasties is newly opened in the main street arcade. Also Planet A, a zero waste grocery shop is coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Or do you think that the shopping center on the main street will not be a welcome addition?
    Or both?
    Personally I would rather see the shopping center open than another few coffee shops.

I don't think this was murph999's point at all.

He was more saying - hope I'm not speaking for him - that for the longest time the only thing that really stood any chances on Bray's Main Street was Coffee shops, food shops, personal services (hair/nails/makeup etc.) and grab n'go type food places. Anything more traditional like clothes, electronics, shoes have to work doubly as hard given the vicinity of Dundrum/Carrickmines/Online and that anyone looking to do up a business plan for opening on the Main Street would account for this if they were to make it work and that's why we see the types of businesses we do, the footfall in the town supports them.

I'm all for diversification of offering on the main street, we had it 15-20 years ago but the last 10-15 years really has shown that it's super tough given the nearby options and online shopping and Covid has accelerated that.

Don't believe anyone wants the shopping centre to fail at this point with it being so close to finishing, I need me Penney's :pac:

Or both?

Did you read my post at all.

Firstly what are you calling a coffee shop?

I'd agree with Molloy's and Starbucks.

Copper & Straw yes but it's a speciality place and is excellent.

Other's like Mix'd (not sure if still there) or Betelnut, the new french crepe place etc are not coffee shops in my books but cafe/restaurants and speciality places and I think they add to the town.

The new shopping centre is very welcome but it won't be offering 10 new shops like Allen's or Connolly's shoe shop.
    It will most likely have a supermarket and then a large retailer like Penney's. There'll be at least 5 food locations, one of which is bound to be a coffee place, a cinema and bowling.
    Do you see the trend there? It's services, food and activities that are attracting people.
    And these people will bring life to the town.

As I said Bray's retail can't compete with Dundrum and the internet, I dare anyone to be brave enough to open a normal retails store in Bray doing clothes or jewellery.
    Mister T is not coming back.

I really don't see what type of shops you expect to open on the main street. Also the problem is not unique to Bray any town in Ireland is facing the same issue, retail is changing dramitically.

kian163 wrote: »
    New openings: The Hot Box serving toasties is newly opened in the main street arcade. Also Planet A, a zero waste grocery shop is coming soon.

Planet A is an interesting concept. I wonder if location is in new town centre as I can't imagine them being so secretive it was on a Main St unit.

Mister T is not coming back.

I pity the fool who thinks that it won't be returning!

Muffins .

I'm amazed Molloy's is still there, hasn't moved with the times at all.

I remember Muffin's, wasn't bad at all, 2 x Molloy's and Graham O'Sullivan's.

Food on the seafront, apart from chippers , was Rath Talbot for meat and 2 veg, Pizzas n Cream and then posh with Tree of Idleness. That was basically it. What a tourist did in those days is beyond me.

Toasted sandwich or bag of crisps in a pub was the other option.

I'm amazed Molloy's is still there, hasn't moved with the times at all.

I remember Muffin's, wasn't bad at all, 2 x Molloy's and Graham O'Sullivan's.

Food on the seafront, apart from chippers , was Rath Talbot for meat and 2 veg, Pizzas n Cream and then posh with Tree of Idleness. That was basically it. What a tourist did in those days is beyond me.

Toasted sandwich or bag of crisps in a pub was the other option.

Escape for a while as well!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Don't forget Eamon's

• Advertisement

Escape for a while as well!!

Rememeber it well but I was going back to the 80s here.:D

Don't forget Eamon's

Rememeber the name. Where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Speaking of old restaurants, the Chinese on the main st (jasmine something)? Has been there for a very long time. Could it the the oldest sit-down restaurant in Bray?

Rememeber it well but I was going back to the 80s here.:D

I didnt think Graham O Sullivans was there in the 80s. Perhaps late 80s.

Jasmine House was. I remember hearing there used to be rumours they used to serve dog meat :pac::pac::pac: - I think it was even possibly there since the 70s

Course there was also a lot more Pubs back then as well - The Sunnybank, Lenihans, The brewmaster, McCormacks, The Glenmalure, The Cois Farrige Hotel still as well.

Terry Pratchet

I didnt think Graham O Sullivans was there in the 80s. Perhaps late 80s.

Jasmine House was. I remember hearing there used to be rumours they used to serve dog meat :pac::pac::pac: - I think it was even possibly there since the 70s

Course there was also a lot more Pubs back then as well - The Sunnybank, Lenihans, The brewmaster, McCormacks, The Glenmalure, The Cois Farrige Hotel still as well.

O Sullivan's was definitely there in the 80s as I know from college days I was there in 88 & 89 and late 80s still counts as the 80s.

Dog meat. I think every Chinese in the country was rumoured to serve this. Danny's down the seafront (now Creole) was always accused of this but I think it's all an urban myth. Where would they get the dog meat supply?

Other pubs gone, Doon-A Lawn, Vevay Inn, Classes (Dug Inn), Melifont/Westbourne, Shillelagh.
    Shows how things change.

Rememeber the name. Where was that?

Down the seafront. One of the houses close to Jim's

Other pubs gone, Doon-A Lawn, Vevay Inn, Classes (Dug Inn), Melifont/Westbourne, Shillelagh.
    Shows how things change.

Kennedy’s,Various pubs next to Gusto Italiano, Black Inn, Bray Head Inn, Hollands, Dart station pub

fjon wrote: »
    Kennedy’s,Various pubs next to Gusto Italiano, Black Inn, Bray Head Inn, Hollands, Dart station pub

Kennedy's I covered under "Vevay Inn".

Shillelagh covers pubs next to Gusto Italiano.

Don't know the Black Inn.

Holland's still there but now called "Wild Goose".

Dart & Bray Head are good calls, although pub at Dart station was not there long.

Don't remember Black Inn, where was that?

Dart & Bray Head are good calls, although pub at Dart station was not there long.

Was it called The Station?

• Advertisement

Kennedy's I covered under "Vevay Inn".
    Don't remember Black Inn, where was that?

I meant Kinsella's, not Kennedy's. It went to being a cafe and then O'Sullivans
    Now that I think of it, there used to be a pub where Everest Music now is.
    I could be remembering the name of the place wrong, but I thought this pub/ hotel was called Blacks:
    https://goo.gl/maps/mhoHvAgeY1m8tgqD9

Advertisement