Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Shaneo87ie

That's a bit of a bold statement! I think its a great business that many love!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It's lovely ice cream. This has to be one of the strangest rail against the mainstream posts I've seen on boards 😂

Oh thanks I just went and took a look, it looks great tbf with a big selection of sauces! Prices don't seem too steep either!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well that's a completely bad take. I think it's one of the nicest ice cream shops in Ireland let alone Bray.

Can't stand Gino's and don't understand why it's so popular with their ridiculous prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree 100%. Plus, being pedantic, it's a gelato "joint" not an ice cream one, there's a difference 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Overpriced and stay over there.I should also mention an earlier reference by a poster to signage blocking footpaths in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry what?

I don't understand? The Gelateria is overpriced?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Apparently Sports Direct to open next month - Pennys taking possession tomorrow with 6 months lead time to open. Sketchers are to open beside the card factory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Another 6 months after a previous 6 months hahaha

I'm lucky that I don't visit Bray too often.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's basically back to "open for Christmas", same as last year.

Is anything at all happening with the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Latest I heard was that it has been put on hold until the anchor tenants are in or at least contracts sorted etc. Something along those lines. that was from someone that has a business in the town centre.

Sounds like gossip/hearsay. Why would anchor tenant occupancy delay cinema. Contracts are all sorted. Somebody with business in town would not have any inside info,

What's the source for 6 months? A fit out does not normally take six months. Can be done in weeks. Like they did in Dundrum and that was a much bigger shop.

How would you know any of this as you already said that you don't visit the town often?

Geletaria is in no way overpriced. Nicer and cheaper than Gino's on the promenade.

Also you seem to know nothing about signage as you're just referring to another poster. I've never seen any signage from them on the footpath.

Post edited by murpho999 on

just passing on what I was told "6 months likely" from someone involved directly - could be less of course no idea how long these things take.

On the person hoping for the demise of the gelataria on the seafront - what complete nonsense - it's a slight hidden gem as most business gets hoovered up by Ginos which is far inferior - Looking forward to the next couple of weeks for when the couple who run it return after their end of season trip home.

I meant a new business in the town centre, who had previously worked for Press Up Group elsewhere. He said, they (owners) have been just working on getting the contracts over the line for the anchor tenant's before they were willing to do anything with the cinema. Which sounds reasonable.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the cinema opening anytime this year or next to be honest.

Fair enough but surely the contracts are signed at this this stage as tenancies have been announced months ago.

I wonder it's a cash flow issue as they're waiting on actual occupancy and rent being paid to commence.

Either way when it does arrive I think people will be disappointed with Stella, High prices, small screens and not all the current movies like you'd get in normal cineplex.

It's a pity it's Press Up Group who run this development not a fan of any of their franchises.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm not sure you can infer much from the existing Stellas - one is a boutique 2 screen cinema located across the road from a multi-screen cineplex and deliberately aimed at a different audience; and the other (which I just found out exists) is a small room in the basement of a hotel. From what I've heard only one of the Bray screens will be "boutique" and the rest will be showing commercial fare.

• Advertisement

I still wonder how they're going to do it. Also all tickets are €21.00 for all movies regardless how old it is.

I'm also curious what size the screens will be and wonder if it will stop from me from going to Dundrum and other places.

Agree on the potential screen sizes. Now that the tenants are moving into the bigger units. I struggle to see where you will fit in a 5 screen cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I don't understand press up's approach here. In my mind building the cinema will create foot fall into the center and into their 2 restaurants. I don't know how wow burger and Elephant & Castle remain open right now

The cinema was part of the plans from the beginning along with these big units, the big units being filled won’t impact the original cinema plans in terms of size !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Increase in employment?? If this was the 1980’s I would agree.

There are no shortage of jobs like this in the area. The reality is that it is difficult to fill all of the vacancies.

Yep. And the main reason is wages and rent in the area. I'd imagine the average wage would be €15 an hour which is pretty much useless when your rent is €800-1200 a month

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Absolutely and I wouldn’t be surprised if Costa pay their counter staff even less less than that.

It’s a very expansive country!

Something appears to be going in to where Lana occupied beside the tin roof on Quinsborough Rd.

Saw a couple of workers going in an out and a well dressed man heading in while asking a guy at the door 'about 7 men inside working?"

And the Sports Direct signs are up! This feels like huge progress finally! I'm confused as to unit they are occupying, the sign is over the door into the Lobby with the lifts and the escalators, however it looks like most of the work is being done in the downstairs unit where the frosted glass is on the doors/windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

More progress.

Plus Grafton Barbers open

Advertisement