Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blunt object vs. edged weapon

Options
  • 28-11-2011 1:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is something that has been bothering me for some time. Why does everyone seem to assume a edged weapon is ideal for dealing with zombie infestations? In my opinion a good heavy, blunt object accomplishes the goal just as well without the risk of getting your weapon lodged in the zombie's body. Also, even if you decapitate the attacking zombie you still have to destroy the brain unless you want to risk being bitten while trying to move the head to a destruction point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

A combo of both IMO! A heavy edged weapon..! As blunt force breaks bones and edged cuts.I agree a light sharpy is of no use. A blunt object on its own is not much use aka smashing a Z in the ribs/arm (sure even a broken leg won't stop em) won't have much of an effect, you'd need a head shot. But cleaving off an arm or chopping a leg out from under them with an axe is far more effective. As they can't chase / grab you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The normal spectrum of violence goes from fist -> knuckleduster/rock -> knife -> club so I'd be inclined to agree with you there, although I wouldn't write off a pair of punch knives with handguards to do a lot of damage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The normal spectrum of violence goes from fist -> knuckleduster/rock -> knife -> club so I'd be inclined to agree with you there, although I wouldn't write off a pair of punch knives with handguards to do a lot of damage.
    True, but do you really want to put your hands that close to a zombie's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

There was talk of this recently in a zombie hunter loadout over on the airsoft forum. One guy brought the halligan bar to the table, and you really can't go wrong with it:

HalliganBar.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Halligan would be an awesome tool for urban operations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What about that yoke that worf used?

You mean the batleth?

You mean the batleth?

just google it, thats the one.

That still seems like an edged weapon. I favor the crushing power of a mace personally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

The batleth.

bat_leth.jpg

• Advertisement

snafuk35 wrote: »
    The batleth.

bat_leth.jpg

I don't think you could be more impractical, to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I don't think you could be more impractical, to be honest.

Oh yeah?

It wouldn't beat a crossbow and arrows but that could take more skill.

A modified bathlet with sharp bits at the end and some more weight to it would give good reach.

Of course, this is all assuming that survivors know how to weld and got the tools.

snafuk35 wrote: »

He's clearly a martial artist - how many years was he training before he could do that kata? :rolleyes:

That's a weapon that would require years of practice to use properly and you don't have time to master something like that when a horde of zombies is battering on your door. Without training you'd be more likely to hurt yourself than a zombie.

And even if you can use it, that doesn't make it practical. I don't think it would cut clean through a neck or limb and anything less isn't going to bother a zombie, really.

It's all well and good to be able to do a kata with it but that doesn't mean you can use it to survive against a group of enemies that are more immune to pain than a drugged-up thug.

Back to sharp shovels with long handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

If you consider how messy it is to use a sharp object - the blood splatter and the risk of contamination are high - I'd say a blunt object would be best; you can do a lot of damage to the human skull/brain with a baseball bat, etc, and not always cause an open wound. Plus, as mentioned, a sharp object might get lodged, and in some situations, you might not have the time needed to work your weapon loose before another zed attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

the blood splatter is an issue all right. As the disease may be spread that way (we just wont know until it happens). But I think we can safely say that the amount of splatter from a bat will be the same as from a sword. Remember, these Z's dont have blood pumping in their bodies (the heart is stopped) so its just a congealed gel. If you thump a lump of steak with a bat or chop it with a knife, I reckon you get the same (minimal) mess. It would be a lot different if you do the same to the living cow. I wont be trying this out.

But that brings me to my point. The only way a blunt obj will take out a Z is by destroying the core of the brain. To do this, you will have to batter the skull open and then destroy the brain. That might be possible in one blow, if you are lucky / skillfull / strong enough. On the other hand, a chopping (or cutting) blow to the head, at neck level will sever the spine and all motion will cease (if you hit neck in right place). OK, the Z might not be 'dead', but if its not moving (including mouth not biting your ankles!) then job done :-)

So, you do have an issue with blades being caught on bone & stuff. But the best way to avoid that is with a good blade, pratice, and carry a few backup blades!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

Another thing to remember when your choosing your CQC weapon of choice is its weight and your own physical fitness and stamnia.
    As cool as it'd be to be lopping heads off with an axe or caving them in with a sledgehammer the weight of them will slow you down in no time. They were designed to be used in a vertical motion not a horizontal one.
    A climbing axe/ice axe is the one for me thanks. Lightweight, sharp and is nice and small, easy to weild and carry.

How about a garda baton and riot shield?

I was thinking hurleys/baseball bats could have some metal with a edge riveted into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

which type of sheild you thinking of? The large 6 foot one is a 2 handed job. I doubt that the baseball bat or the hurley could destroy the brain in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

What happens when an axe and a sledgehammer have babies? Zombies die...
    image_600_600__13511.jpg

Look no further and say no more, start at about 0:34

I suddenly need to acquire a walking stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A blunt object will probably have more splash back due to the force of such a heavy fast moving, it could have an explosive impact.

Really splash back ruins any chance of close combat, what I'll be using is a pike to get the thing to the ground and something like a sledge to crush the head.

Break their hands, they can't grab ya. Bust their knees, they can't chase you. Come back later with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

+1 RidersOnTheStorm

A heavy edged wpn is your only man. Something that carrys power behind the blow to break bone but will still hack into / cut away (take the head / arms / legs off).

A Z can't chase you down if its knee caps are cut out. But a smack of bat on the arm won't really do much on its own.

Raid a museum for a mace! Pick up a shield whilst looting artefacts if stuck for a modern equivalent!

I suddenly need to acquire a walking stick.
    Perfectly street legal too.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    +1 RidersOnTheStorm

A heavy edged wpn is your only man. Something that carrys power behind the blow to break bone but will still hack into / cut away (take the head / arms / legs off).

A Z can't chase you down if its knee caps are cut out. But a smack of bat on the arm won't really do much on its own.

Raid a museum for a mace! Pick up a shield whilst looting artefacts if stuck for a modern equivalent!
    I been contemplating how to manufacture a modern version of a mace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I am liking the idea of medieval type wepons more and more. Esp the likes of a pike, mace, spear and the shaolin spade. A bit od distance between you and the Z is nice, and you need a weighted edge weapon imho.

But you dont want a weapon that is too cumbersome. A long pike needs room to move and not good in tight spaces. A sledgehammer will easily crush a skull and brain, but you cant move it quickly, and you will get tired very quickly.

So I reckon you need a few weapons. Miyamoto Musahi says you should not have a favourite weapon, but should be proficent in many. So I would like to have a machette, hand-axe (with a 3' long handle) and something like a pike. They are the close quarter weapons (small med & large) and varity to suit different occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Shot gun!

Advertisement