Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a comic n00b?

Options
  • 27-11-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

ok, i want to get into comics but don't know where to start. I love the batman movies, etc. but have never read the comics. I bought "Batman; Legends" #50 in easons yesterday, but it makes no sense to me as I don't know the context of the stories.. looking for advice on comics that are good for starting out.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Try starting with a Trade Paper Back (TPB), easons usually have a few in stock. They collect several issues of a comic, covering an entire story arc.

I'm not too up on Batman story lines, but I'm sure some of the other posters can suggest a few good Batman ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fysh wrote: »
    That being said, DC have just relaunched their entire line so this may be a good time to get started on them if you want to start with the monthly comics...
    Ridley wrote: »

I'd try to avoid stuff with Grant Morrison's name on the cover though. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Have a look at this thread for some suggestions. DC have recently started everything from scratch, with about 3 issues of the new series out so far - there are several Batman series at the moment so you could have a look at a couple of them to see what takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

For new people to batman I always suggest two books:
    Batman Year one(Frank Miller) and The long halloween (Jeff Leob).

Year one will set the tone of what batman has been for the last twenty year and establishes a lot about the character you mightn't pick up from the movies. But it doesn't feature his villains.

Then the long halloween is a damn good mystery with pleanty of villians but doesn't throw you off the deep end too quickly.

And yes, as someone said don't start with Grant morrisons stuff, it's really trippy and could put someone off very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

Soulja boy wrote: »

And yes, as someone said don't start with Grant morrisons stuff, it's really trippy and could put someone off very quickly.

Great fun, though.

By Batman RIP I thought that it would go down as an interesting failure, but The Return of Bruce Wayne and especially his run on Batman and Robin pulled it all together fantastically. Great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

yeah, so another visit to easons yesterday, and i got "batman; the killing joke". must say i loved it and must of read it 4/5 times at this stage. you see something new every time you read it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

johnROSS wrote: »
    yeah, so another visit to easons yesterday, and i got "batman; the killing joke". must say i loved it and must of read it 4/5 times at this stage. you see something new every time you read it

Hi John, I've found that a good starting point is DC's 'New 52', where they've set back every single comic they release (the titular 52) back to #1. If you have a Comixology app it's quite exciting waiting for every Wednesday to see what's released. I really recommend the new Batman issues - 3 have been released so far and you should be able to get the first two on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

I also noticed an interesting (but expensive) box set type thing in easons, it was called "The Batman Files, vol. 1" anyone know what exactly this is?

Advertisement