Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston and Connolly scoop best station awards in UK and Ireland - do you agree?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Someone needs to give you a microphone and a stage because the originality of your humour is second to none:rolleyes:

Humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Yahew wrote: »
    It wasn't in the competition. The only station which is world class in London is St. Pancreas - the other British stations I know are pretty sh*te.
    So Heuston won the least ****e award?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It wasn't in the competition. The only station which is world class in London is St. Pancreas - the other British stations I know are pretty sh*te.

Outside of London, Glasgow Central is a fantastic station, one I use every day to and from work.

I also like Edinburgh Waverley and it locale although the station is a little bit of underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

parsi wrote: »
    I dont't expect Kingsbridge to have a London Underground Station, a sleeper stop to Scotland or indeed a selection of Uk shops.

Get real - compare the stations on their generic facilities and not local facilities
    Ok.

Heuston has a Luas stop outside the front of the building, not in it.
    The equivalent of a sleeper is the 23:10 to Athy. Not really the same.
    If you want Uk shops, or any shops, you have to go to Liffey Valley or the city centre.

The only thing really nice about Heuston is the architecture of the facade. But that's easily bettered by a host of stations in the UK. Just look at Charing X station, no comparison.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The "UK and Ireland" bit is a bit of a joke when the operator of the 18 biggest stations in Great Britain - including most of the London Terminals - didn't participate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been in unused stations in the UK run by volunteers, that have more shelter and facilities than either of these two stations. There isn't even a simple shelter from the wind on Connolly's outer platform, and you can't even get to a loo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

psychward wrote: »
    maybe the award was for standard of hooker on Benburb Street outside Heuston Station versus Kings Cross Station etc

I don't think they'd even win on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

n97 mini wrote: »
    Ok.

If you want Uk shops, or any shops, you have to go to Liffey Valley or the city centre.

The only thing really nice about Heuston is the architecture of the facade. But that's easily bettered by a host of stations in the UK. Just look at Charing X station, no comparison.

Where exactly do you people expect the sleeper to go? Belfast and back, then Belfast again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ok.

Afaik there is no 23.10 to Athy. there is a train to Kildare at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

foggy_lad wrote: »

Exactly.The last train to go through Athy on weeknights is the laden timber train on it's way to Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

I don't care who entered.

Heuston is not better than St Pancras. Heuston isn't even better than Euston.

Ah now, Tullamore is better than Euston!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

foggy_lad wrote: »

The point is that an overnight sleeper to Scotland is far more monumental than a late-ish train to some kip in the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

The point is that an overnight sleeper to Scotland is far more monumental than a late-ish train to some kip in the midlands.

I still haven't worked out where you expect this sleeper to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I still haven't worked out where you expect this sleeper to go.

To sleep. Its getting boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ST Pancras IS the International station is it not?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

CIE wrote: »
    The U55 was intended to be an extension of the U5 at least. Work is under way to get it finished all the way to Alexanderplatz, and it does at least connect with the S-Bahn.

/slaps side of head. I'd forgotten about the U55 even though I'd travelled on it.

Still know which waterside station I prefer. Mmmm.. bretzels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yep i agree , the awards were well deserved.

Advertisement