Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston and Connolly scoop best station awards in UK and Ireland - do you agree?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Looks like no Supermacs in Euston - picnic tables outside and an empty beer tin lying on the ground. ;) Where's Foggy now! :D

Where is that palace in the second picture ??? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Heuston has:
    Supermacs
    Easons

Euston has:
    Overnight sleepers to Scotland
    Virgin First Class Lounge
    A London Underground station
    WHSmiths
    Boots
    Sainsburys
    Marks & Spencer
    Bagel Factory
    A pub serving real ale
    8 cafes
    A bookies

VTloungeEus.jpg

Where is that palace in the second picture ??? :pac::pac::pac:
    That's Heuston with a bus outside, doing transfers because the line is flooded.

Oh wait. Irish Rail don't do buses when lines are flooded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

n97 mini wrote: »
    Heuston has:
    Supermacs
    Easons

Euston has:
    WHSmiths
    Boots
    Sainsburys
    Marks & Spencer
    Bagel Factory
    A pub serving real ale
    8 cafes
    A bookies

VTloungeEus.jpg

You forgot the part where Euston is in a bigger city and has more passengers going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Heuston has:
    Supermacs
    Easons

Euston has:
    A London Underground stationWHSmiths
    Boots
    Sainsburys
    Marks & Spencer
    Bagel Factory
    A pub serving real ale
    8 cafes
    A bookies

Fairly sure Heuston has a bar (it used to anyway).
    And the equivalent of a Tube station is a Luas stop which Heuston has.

• Advertisement

You forgot the part where Euston is in a bigger city and has more passengers going through it.

So did whoever gave the award to Heuston.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I hadn't realised it was an award for passengers numbers.

The sour grapes on display in this thread is hilarious. The usual suspects predictably nitpicking at something positive that happens to/in IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Glasshouse versus a Palace = no contest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Network Rail, which run Euston station, did not enter the competition.

Not that it matters because Euston is a filthy, overcrowded dump. St Pancras is the only top class station in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

thomasj wrote: »
    So irish rail are today gloating about their awards

Do you agree?

I have been in better stations in the uk notably mamchester picidily

What do you reckon?
    I agree that they got an award.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

give me kings cross any day. at least i can go any where in the uk and europe from there!

Not really - St Pancras for Europe now ...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Heuston has:
    Supermacs
    Easons

Euston has:
    WHSmiths
    Boots
    Sainsburys
    Marks & Spencer
    Bagel Factory
    A pub serving real ale
    8 cafes
    A bookies

VTloungeEus.jpg

I dont't expect Kingsbridge to have a London Underground Station, a sleeper stop to Scotland or indeed a selection of Uk shops.

Get real - compare the stations on their generic facilities and not local facilities. The Hauptbahnhof in Berlin doesn't have a U-Bahn connection, neither does Kingsbridge.

However I know which station serving a population of over 1,000,000 that I prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

The Hauptbahnhof in Berlin doesn't have a U-Bahn connection
    The U55 was intended to be an extension of the U5 at least. Work is under way to get it finished all the way to Alexanderplatz, and it does at least connect with the S-Bahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

bazza1 wrote: »
    Lots of posts on these theads knock IE, sometimes justifiably, often times not. One good piece of news and the begrudgers cry foul and fix! Cop on guys! Yes I do work for IE, and work hard!
    • IE is undergoing big restructuring and addition of new rolling stock.
    • Staffing levels are greatly reduced (workload isnt).
    • Many services are contracted out.
    • Unprofitable services MUST be run to provide a public service.
    • Fuel costs are rising.
    • Maintenace costs are rising.
    • Safety is the number one concern, always was, always will be!
    • Speed restrictions are for a reason...not to piss people off!
    • Indian railways?...please...try them and compare. Comparing IE unfavourably with Deutche Bahn etc is unfair, due to their higher passenger numbers etc. Do you compare yourselves with German people?

That's a Press Release from 1957/1963/1977/1985/2008.

I hadn't realised it was an award for passengers numbers.

The sour grapes on display in this thread is hilarious. The usual suspects predictably nitpicking at something positive that happens to/in IE.

Its not positive. Its a set up created by the marketing dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Victor wrote: »
    ...Heuston now has all the clocks on the same time ....

LOL. Exactly how low a standard was this award. :D

BostonB wrote: »
    LOL. Exactly how low a standard was this award. :D

A bit like 2004 when the luas opened. Not a single sign within Heuston directing to the ...... luas.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yeah, you're right as foggy_lad will tell you, Euston is a smart modern station, fit for purpose, and Heuston is an architectural ruin that should used for hardcore on a motorway. :D

Heuston "we have a problem" is not a ruin as much as a dinosaur which refuses to die, no development of any use to customers or the company can take place because people want to keep the old building and the railway as it was when the railway children waved at the trains passing by. Heuston is perfect for people who still travel 1st class away from the great unwashed and who still expect porters with their carts to see their driver and load their trunks on the train.

Euston on the other hand is geared towards a modern rail network and operates as a modern station should.

Look at Kilkenny station and how nice it is compared to Carlow station which for the last while has not even had toilets because the recently renevoted wheelchair inaccessible toilets were out of order for a few months and the footbridge is a disaster. Old can sometimes be good for tourism like in Tralee or other nice quaint places but not where the station is expected to be functional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I don't understand how Arklow station wins best overall in the Irish one every year, and then loses out on the big titles. Madness, it should have been ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I don't understand how Arklow station wins best overall in the Irish one every year, and then loses out on the big titles. Madness, it should have been ours.

Have to admit it's pretty well kept by the staff there, who also took the initiative of setting up a Facebook page (they did a particularly good effort at keeping people updated during the Landsdowne bridge closure).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

The usual suspects predictably nitpicking at something positive that happens to/in IE.
    Ah now in fairness even if it had nothing to do with passenger numbers it's not just good old nit picking. Britain has an international train station for crying out loud. It's bigger than some of our airports. I find it hard to believe that it was beaten by a station where Supermacs is the first thing you see having gotten off the train.

Niles wrote: »
    Have to admit it's pretty well kept by the staff there, who also took the initiative of setting up a Facebook page (they did a particularly good effort at keeping people updated during the Landsdowne bridge closure).
    What else do they do all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is this real or a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

BostonB wrote: »
    Is this real or a joke?

maybe the award was for standard of hooker on Benburb Street outside Heuston Station versus Kings Cross Station etc

psychward wrote: »
    maybe the award was for standard of hooker on Benburb Street outside Heuston Station versus Kings Cross Station etc
    Or for the most change accumulated by beggars at the LUAS platform.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How is Connolly rated as a smaller station than Heuston seeing as it has the bulk of Commuter/DART services and Heuston has the Kildare line and the bogs serving it??

MYOB wrote: »
    How is Connolly rated as a smaller station than Heuston seeing as it has the bulk of Commuter/DART services and Heuston has the Kildare line and the bogs serving it??
    Heuston has more platforms and even has a tunnel under the park as well as two ticket offices while Connolly is just a glorified dart station:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

runway16 wrote: »
    Sorry to dissent from the usual chorus of disapproval for IE (Which I do myself indulge in quite often) but I find Heuston station excellent as stations of it's size go. Its clean, has just enough services without cramming them in to every imaginable space like they do in the UK, the signage is now very good, the Information displays are clear, large and easy to see.

As for distances to platforms, where else were they supposed to put them for god sake?

Connolly is OK..... it serves it's purpose but really doesnt deserve an award.

Its better than most major English stations I use, most of which are zoos. The "platforms are too far away" complaint is funny. funny weird, not funny haha.

MYOB wrote: »
    Someone needs to give you a microphone and a stage because the originality of your humour is second to none:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Ah now in fairness even if it had nothing to do with passenger numbers it's not just good old nit picking. Britain has an international train station for crying out loud. It's bigger than some of our airports. I find it hard to believe that it was beaten by a station where Supermacs is the first thing you see having gotten off the train.

It wasn't in the competition. The only station which is world class in London is St. Pancreas - the other British stations I know are pretty sh*te.

Advertisement