Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper league

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭bit of red72

Thanks Cian for sending that "prompt" on. Yahoo wouldn't let me access the league but your reminder link seemed to re-set everything again. Every year there's a series of technical mishaps with Yahoo. It's the only really stressful thing about being Commish.

League has been renewed and invites sent. If anyone can't sign up this year please let me know asap.

I'll pop a survey up for draft dates later today.

Does anyone have any changes to the keepers arrangement or the categories they'd like to suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I loved going back to basics in terms of categories last year.
    No changes to categories for me.
    The only thing I would like to ask is if want to reduce keepers from 6 to less?
    The draft is always the best part for me of the season and when its over quickly it makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GiantSquirrel

From a personal point of view I enjoyed my first season slightly more than last year because we could construct a bullpen strategy around holds rather than just compete in the limited closer market.  I don't feel that strongly about it though and am happy to go with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭boccy23

I was always against the Holds category, so I would keep this as is.

But I would certainly like to open a discussion about Keepers. We have 2 in a Football league and it allows more people to compete year in year out as the pool of players gets spread around more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We tried reducing keepers from 6 to 5 for the 2014 season and went straight back to 6 for 2015

I'm fine with everything as it is. If you want you can only choose to pick 2 or 3 keepers giving you additional early round picks as a tactic.

I've set up a poll for the draft. It's on https://doodle.com/poll/6375kmis3xbttkqn

Opening Day is Thursday 29th so it's dates in the week before that. I haven't had any messages that anyone is not in so hopefully everyone is good to play again last year. I really enjoyed it - although I did make the final.

The teams in the mix have been similar for the last couple of years. I would be open to reducing the number of keepers to 3 to open up the competition a bit. I've set up a poll for this one as well. Highest number of votes will win so let's have your views. https://doodle.com/poll/uni8ym79kmbbm55s

Other than that I think all worked well last year. I too enjoyed the holds category but democracy ruled last year and most people seemed happy with the 5x5 categories. Happy to hear any suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I was also pro holds as I didn't mind doing a bit of extra research to fill out the bullpen spots. No problem sticking with 5 x 5 and categories we have.

I'm in the camp of sticking with 6 keepers, I feel it rewards those who reach in drafts or pick up the next big thing before they on everyone else's radar. That is what a keeper league is all about. For me with less keepers with the size of rosters we have and it may aswell be a redraft league...

I feel our league is just too small to go beyond the standard categories. Main issue I had with it was that most in the league didn't focus on it, you'd have 1-0 wins in the Holds category every week because we only dedicated 1 or 2 relief pitchers to the category (or 0) in order to focus on saves. I also didn't like OBP as a category which we had to make it 6x6 as it was too correlated to AVG - just feel you have to have one or the other.

If we had another 2 or 4 teams in the league I would see moving to SV+HLD as a category as being a good idea, but we're unlikely to do that this deep into keeper league.

The only categories I could see making sense to change would be either AVG to OBP, or W to Quality Starts. OBP lets you take advantage of walks but it's much of a muchness really so I'm ok as it is. Quality Starts is a better way of rewarding good starting pitching than Wins, but again not too precious about replacing it for the sake of it, I just really like QS as a category

There's a few teams still to vote on the keepers and draft dates. It currently looks like the 21st of March and staying with the 6 keepers. I'll leave the polls open until Friday night.

• Advertisement

Are we doing the "keep two minor leaguers" thing this year?

Sorry folks, I was out of circulation for a while there.

I've set the draft for 9.30 p.m. on Wednesday 21st. Amazingly, everyone is available. :D

I've set the keeper deadline for Sunday 18th March. It has auto set to 7a.m. in the morning so it's really the night of the 17th. There was no compelling vote to change the up to six keepers so no change there.

If anyone wants to keep 2 minor leaguers and slot them into the NA slot after the draft just DM me and I'll pop them into the last round or two.

8-10 wrote: »
    We tried reducing keepers from 6 to 5 for the 2014 season and went straight back to 6 for 2015

I'm fine with everything as it is. If you want you can only choose to pick 2 or 3 keepers giving you additional early round picks as a tactic.

Ok, I am only going to keep 4 players. Hope that's ok with everyone.

boccy23 wrote: »

You wouldn't be the first to do so, don't think anyone has an issue with it!

I will keep 6 but have no problem with anyone keeping less...

No issue with less than 6. last year a few teams took less than 6. It gives you the earliest picks if you don't have the keepers - so it makes perfect sense.

Keepers are set now right? Is there a way to see who's been taken ahead of the draft? Logged in there but it's not obvious if you can see the keepers

8-10 wrote: »
    Keepers are set now right? Is there a way to see who's been taken ahead of the draft? Logged in there but it's not obvious if you can see the keepers

I believe you can't see the keeper until the draft room opens!
    that's what I remember from previous years.
    Can you see your own keepers? :-)
    I set mine and forgot who I ended up picking!

I think I can see the keepers before the draft when I'm setting the draft order. If i can and I can copy and paste easily enough then I'll put them up here tomorrow evening at the latest. I'm going to try to set everything up this evening.

The draft order will be

Badgers
    El Capitan
    RebelSox
    Zephrs
    Drakes
    Squirrels
    Fireballers
    JPF
    Dodgers
    Kings

That's on the basis that everyone has picked six keepers. Anyone who hasn't kept six will come in with picks before this order begins.

There have been 5 minor leaguers kept. I will slot those players into the last picks for those teams. Just in case you were planning a late round flyer the players are:

Vlad Guerrero Jr
    Scott Kingery
    Eloy Jimenez
    Victor Robles and;
    Ronald Acuna

• Advertisement

Folks,

I believe I have completed the set up and in the file attached you will see the results of the first six rounds of the draft. Any blanks are where less than six keepers were kept.

You can actually see all the keepers here. The site seems to have made this available this year - or maybe I've finally worked out how to work it....

Can someone tell me if they can access the file? It's a PNG that I've snipped off the site.

Folks,

I believe I have completed the set up and in the file attached you will see the results of the first six rounds of the draft. Any blanks are where less than six keepers were kept.

You can actually see all the keepers here. The site seems to have made this available this year - or maybe I've finally worked out how to work it....

Can someone tell me if they can access the file? It's a PNG that I've snipped off the site.

Yep works fine, nice work cheers!

One more NA Keeper that was missed.

Eastside Fireballers will be keeping Gleyber Torres but I haven't included that as the last of his picks. Please leave Torres and Coeus will take him in his last pick. Cheers!

Well done to Artful Dodgers.

After being runner up last year, pushed forward to win it all. Well done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 GiantSquirrel

I second that.  I was pleased and somewhat surprised to make it through to the final this year, but I never got a look in this week.  6-4 makes it look close but, to use a football analogy in a baseball forum, I was 4-0 down going into injury time and scored a couple of very late consolation goals.  Well played Dodgers.
    Must admit I keep forgetting how hard it is to navigate the final week of the season with rotations being reset for the play-offs, pitchers being shut down and hitters being rested.  And the season finished dismally for my own SF Giants with a 15-0 walloping by LA.  
    See you all next year.

Must admit I keep forgetting how hard it is to navigate the final week of the season with rotations being reset for the play-offs, pitchers being shut down and hitters being rested.

Yeah it's a real shame. Makes it that bit more random. But no complaints I was terrible in the playoffs this year and deserved my 2 defeats!

Congrats to the winner

Congrats on taking it down!

Beat me easy enough in the semi with some excellent starting pitching locking down most of the pitching cats. Might have been a bit closer had my bats not gone quite that week but that is head-to-head for you.

Until next season :)

Thanks for the congrats, folks. It's been 7 years in the making!

My starting pitching really delivered in the playoffs which made all the difference. Blake Snell was a seriously lucky/good pick and he really came through in the final fantasy weeks.

I still feel there's something wrong when the Fireballers come in nearly 20 games ahead, have one bad week and that's them out of contention.

An enjoyable season and the league was really active so every week was competitive - which was great.

Hi folks,

Believe it or not - It's baseball season again!! I've renewed the league. Can you let me know who's back in for this year?

• Advertisement

I’m in. Badgers.

Advertisement