Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Il buy when they hit 3.50 , the overall market is due a correction as its incredibly over bought even in europe , the banks always drop back harder , could take months but usually happens before October

Bank of Ireland hit an absurd low in summer of last year but it has seen falls of over 30% on an annual basis since brexit so a fall to 3.50 is not so outlandish , if it never happens, terrific

i was in from 1.50 to 2.90 and in AIB from a euro to 1.65 last year , small gains relative to what many here made

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Il buy when they hit 3.50 , the overall market is due a correction as its incredibly over bought even in europe , the banks always drop back harder , could take months but usually happens before October

Bank of Ireland hit an absurd low in summer of last year but it has seen falls of over 30% on an annual basis since brexit so a fall to 3.50 is not so outlandish , if it never happens, terrific

i was in from 1.50 to 2.90 and in AIB from a euro to 1.65 last year , small gains relative to what many here made

The only thing is if BOI get A rated its value will climb as fund money buys into it. It may well be that the government have an inkling that this will happen by August. In August as well it is quite possibly that it will announce the return to paying a dividend for 2021 if it decides to pay an interim dividend then depending on the amount it will have a positive to very positive impact on the share price.

Personally I think it's a buy at present it may or may not have bottomed out. It's unlikely that the government will sell shares before October there for rating's and dividend policy will drag price upwards

Slava Ukrainii

The only thing is if BOI get A rated its value will climb as fund money buys into it. It may well be that the government have an inkling that this will happen by August. In August as well it is quite possibly that it will announce the return to paying a dividend for 2021 if it decides to pay an interim dividend then depending on the amount it will have a positive to very positive impact on the share price.

Personally I think it's a buy at present it may or may not have bottomed out. It's unlikely that the government will sell shares before October there for rating's and dividend policy will drag price upwards

im out of the stock and the story for a long time at this stage , if it gets to 3.50 , im in , if not , no matter and up may it go

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bankboucy

BOI, in my opinion, is going to 8 euro in the next 12-18 months........not sure what people want in investment - nearly 100% in a year or two should be everyones dream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭cute geoge

BoI share price has a volitile rollercoaster past .I bought in the last dip to even up purchases bought dearer when it was tipped that sky was the limit.I am up now ,you would not want to be depending on it

• Advertisement

bankboucy wrote: »
    BOI, in my opinion, is going to 8 euro in the next 12-18 months........not sure what people want in investment - nearly 100% in a year or two should be everyones dream

I am not sure if it is going to reach that level that fast. However I think it's unlikely to dip below 4/share. I actually think it may have bottomed out at present. I think it will rise a bit before the government share sake and that it will climb again after that

Slava Ukrainii

cute geoge wrote: »
    BoI share price has a volitile rollercoaster past .I bought in the last dip to even up purchases bought dearer when it was tipped that sky was the limit.I am up now ,you would not want to be depending on it

It was a rock solid performer up until 2008. Then the bad management accross the Irish banking system ( it was not the worst) caused mayhem. It recovered the strongest of any Irish Bank but Brexit really stymied it progress.

COVID amplified the effects of Brexit on it and AIB.

Slava Ukrainii

It was a rock solid performer up until 2008. Then the bad management accross the Irish banking system ( it was not the worst) caused mayhem. It recovered the strongest of any Irish Bank but Brexit really stymied it progress.

COVID amplified the effects of Brexit on it and AIB.

Pre 2008 is irrelevant, banking has changed across the board since

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Pre 2008 is irrelevant, banking has changed across the board since

It has but it's the management ethos within any company that is important. AIB had 2-3 Fiasco's pre 2008 that the government bailed them out of. They tried to match Anglo, BOI got sucked in trying to protect market share.

It always has a fairly conservative management. Everything changes its the management ethos that is important

Slava Ukrainii

It has but it's the management ethos within any company that is important. AIB had 2-3 Fiasco's pre 2008 that the government bailed them out of. They tried to match Anglo, BOI got sucked in trying to protect market share.

It always has a fairly conservative management. Everything changes its the management ethos that is important

its too conservative , its not a dynamic bank on any level or an especially ran well business , margins are extremely tight in banking and especially so in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bankboucy

COVID loss provisioning is going to be written back soon to book value, Davy acquisition will be accretive if it goes through....buybacks & dividends will start soon........big seller in the market for the next few months will put a cap on share price appreciation and I'd hope BOI is buying back from the government then. HOWEVER what you get after that in return is that Bank of Ireland will be the only fully private bank in a oligopoly market........where it is not inconceivable that Sinn Fein/ Pierce Doherty in the next decade could be Minister for Finance & therefore the largest controlling shareholder in the other banks AIB/PTSB.....what stupid stuff will SF make AIB/PTSB do then.........if your an international investor and like the Irish economy & banking dynamics here (who wouldn't) I know what my play would be.

In the future Bank of Ireland is the only rational private sector player not controlled by the Government in a political system that is tilting to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am trying to establish how many BoI shares I have.

Here is my history:

2007 bought at 12.09 and 10.58
    2008 bought at 6.90
    2009 bought at 0.70

These seem all to be regular purchases, I ended up with 1,099 shares, okay.

2010 subscription for new shares - I subscribed at 0.55, 1648 shares
    So 2747 shares, okay

2011 second new share offer at 0.10 - I did not subscribe

2014 purchase of 2,000 at 0.34, so 4747 shares, okay

Several years pass, I move brokers, end up with DeGiro.

2017 DeGiro statement = 4747 shares, okay

2021 = I now have 391 shares!!!

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

There was a reverse share split of, I think, 10:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭carrickbawn

The share consolidation in 2017 was 30/1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The share consolidation in 2017 was 30/1

4747 / 30 = 158.23

And yet DeGiro says I have 391 shares?

EDIT: I bought 7,000 more shares at 0.23, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Degiro has been wonky for a long time on up to date data for BIRG.
    It now seems to have been brought up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Anyone care to speculate what affect the Davy purchase will have on BofI?

That aside, I cannot get my head around why Davy is being bought out at all.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

According to last week's Sunday Times, BoI was keen to diversify its income stream away from non-interest income. Says Davy earned €32m last year, and is paying approx €600m for it.

I fail to understand how if, as has been widely reported, a company's reputation is damaged and it has to be sold, the buyer doesn't purchase it for peanuts.

How can those who were in situ when the damage was done make millions?

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Because the forecast is for Low interest rates for longer which means that banks will struggle with Net Interest Income and by buying Davy's they have a business unit that charges fees (Non-Interest Income) that will provide a return regardless of whether interest rates remain low in the future or not.

Lets not forget that most of these type of business were originally owned by the banks before they sold them off to concentrate on Banking that was providing a better return at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

The same article cites "healthy international interest drummed up by Rothschild and the skulking presence of Irish Life ensured a decent price". Once the entity is in someone else's hands, the issue of reputation is reduced because in theory the buyer overlays their oversight onto the new entity to reduce the risk of it happening again.

Again the same article says that BoI was "desperately seeking a stockbroker" and "if anything, this was a fire purchase". So it might well turn out that it has overpaid for it. You rarely get a good deal for anything if you put yourself in the position of being desperate for it.

Post edited by Rock Steady Edy on

Let's see if the final chapter remains to be written on this.

Dublin is a tiny town.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭garrettod

Looks to me like BoI have overpaid massively:

• They've bought a business with a serious reputational issue, so may struggle to compete for big new accounts, for a while.
    • They've bought a business where important clients are exiting, so future income is likely to be less.

Did BoI panic, and think they had to but Davy, having seen AIB recently reunite with its old broker, Goodbody, perhaps?

Did BoI explore the possibility of buying another Irish broker, or perhaps even a European one, rather than Davy?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Why did the AIB price fall 5% today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

the whole market is off over the Chinese company, Evergrande, on the brink of bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Because of evergrande there was fear in the market which saw a flight to safety in gov bonds. This lowered the yield curve which makes it harder for banks to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Government reduces holding again. Down to under 11% now, only another 118 million shares left to sell.

Have they them sold or have they announced details if the sale

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Still have the 118Million left to sell, they've gone from 12% to 10.96% since the last time they sold which was about a month or more ago

Advertisement