Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal - Limerick or Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ah now lets not get ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I really hope Limerick gets this...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In Dundalk today and I have been asking people what they think.

Common response was: Call Centre, Paypal, What? :confused:

I will ask more folk tomorrow and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

anyone hear any more???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

reilly08 wrote: »
    Am sure if they wanted this confidential they would of signed the contract behind closed doors. It's mad but when they signed the contract it wasn't in a boardroom behind closed door. It was in the bar of the crowne plaza hotel, it was described as very informal. In fact the PayPal execs insisted on trifle and wine instead of tea and biscuits :-)

Now I know you are talking s^&t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 reilly08

angeleyes wrote: »
    reilly08 wrote: »
    Am sure if they wanted this confidential they would of signed the contract behind closed doors. It's mad but when they signed the contract it wasn't in a boardroom behind closed door. It was in the bar of the crowne plaza hotel, it was described as very informal. In fact the PayPal execs insisted on trifle and wine instead of tea and biscuits :-)

Now I know you are talking s^&t[/

Whatever mate. I taught the purpose of a forum was people to discuss things and share information. Believe what you like. It dont bother me much cause I have a job. But wouldn't be surprise me if you here something about it tomorrow cause judging by facebook must of dundalk know about it at this stage. Happy job hunting you idiot and for everyone else in limerick, sorry guys if you are dissapointed and I hope something else comes your way in 2012.

Cards given to angeleyes and reilly08 for inappropriate language and insulting other members.

Keep it civil folks..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Also: Speculation removed until people start providing decent sources. "He says, she says" doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Beer Baron wrote: »
    In Dundalk today and I have been asking people what they think.

Common response was: Call Centre, Paypal, What? :confused:

I will ask more folk tomorrow and see.

Let the cat out of the bag why don't you........sheesh...... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Sorry to say its looking bad. As some posters have said PayPal shouldnt have announced anything to the public as this might have jeopardised the whole thing altogether.

I have nothing to back this up but my sources 3 of them
    are legitimate.

I'm am not affiliated to PayPal. Not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

Sorry to say its looking bad. As some posters have said PayPal shouldnt have announced anything to the public as this might have jeopardised the whole thing altogether.

are legitimate.

are you saying that paypal are not coming to Ireland at all over it been leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

are legitimate.

Aye what do you mean? There not picking either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I cant really say anything order than what I've just said it could mean that they might not go for either and decide to expand their office in blanchardstown.

A decision could have been reacjhed ages ago if not for the public knowing about this.

if there's any more updates I will know by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

PayPal isn't going to choose a location based on IDA or ministerial begging. The benefits of the location could be impressed upon them, but in the end it's cold hard facts that will make the decision. It's PayPal's money and I don't think it'd take too kindly to 'pressure'. That's essentially corruption.

Recent tax adjustments in the US could mean they're going to operate from there. It's quite possible the facts have shown the skillet isn't readily available in Limerick or Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ninty9er wrote: »
    PayPal isn't going to choose a location based on IDA or ministerial begging. The benefits of the location could be impressed upon them, but in the end it's cold hard facts that will make the decision. It's PayPal's money and I don't think it'd take too kindly to 'pressure'. That's essentially corruption.

Recent tax adjustments in the US could mean they're going to operate from there. It's quite possible the facts have shown the skillet isn't readily available in Limerick or Dublin.

I'm sure we can dig one up somewhere in the city:;)

261_lcs3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Oopsie!

Skill set.

So cant see anything in the media today yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Oopsie!

Skill set.

I love that Limerick or Dublin might not have the skill set.

Its a call centre !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just because it's a call centre doesn't mean that anyone can do the job, in fact a lot of companies are moving out of Ireland because you can't get the staff, some of the problems would be that usually call centre staff are low paid and can be lured to another company very easily, if you are on (say) €80 a day in 1 company and another offers you €90, you will more than likely move, the company that's paying the €80 can't really counter offer because all the staff will be on the same level.
    Call centres need a lot of support staff to keep them running, the internal support for all their systems (from Databases, to Telephones, to computers, to servers), staff supporting these types of systems are usually highly trained thanks to hands on experience.
    Management of the start up can be difficult as well, usually you will get experienced staff from within your organisation to go setup the new site, but this can't always be guaranteed, often there will be a lot of head hunting in the area of the new site for experienced Project Managers to setup the operation.
    Management of the site, as it'll be a new site with a lot of staff, you will need to get a management structure in place (Team Leaders, Operation Managers, Section Managers, etc.), ideally you would like to recruit a lot of these types of people from within the organisation, if not you would like to recruit from similar organisations in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Also not forgetting our terrible reputation when it comes to knowledge of languages other than English, which is vital at any call centre of a multinational.

And Limerick & Dublin are falling down with these people !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Quite a few call centers in Limerick. Couple of them in Raheen, there's UPC, there's Sykes out in Shannon (closed now for the most part, many of my ex-colleagues from there are still out of work since) so there is a fairly large workforce with call center experience here.

I'd be quite surprised if Waterford wasn't considered also, seeing as there's quite a lot of people who are out of work after talktalk/aol shut down.

EDIT: On a side note, sure, call center work doesn't exactly require a lot of skill. But what matters is whether you're any good at the job or not - as in, give a sh!t and listen to what the customer has to say, and work to answer their questions or resolve their issues. And that comes with experience at the job, just like any other occupation.

roast wrote: »
    Quite a few call centers in Limerick. Couple of them in Raheen, there's UPC, there's Sykes out in Shannon (closed now for the most part, many of my ex-colleagues from there are still out of work since) so there is a fairly large workforce with call center experience here.

I'd be quite surprised if Waterford wasn't considered also, seeing as there's quite a lot of people who are out of work after talktalk/aol shut down.

SSSSHHHHH be quiet BeEr Baron has already spilled the beans in Dundalk dont tip the waterford crowd off !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

kilburn wrote: »
    roast wrote: »

SSSSHHHHH be quiet BeEr Baron has already spilled the beans in Dundalk dont tip the waterford crowd off !

Feck em!

Anyway Limerick also has Vodafone, albeit an overflow call centre but Vodafone nonetheless. No idea where it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

On my break working in Paypal at the moment. I've been in all over christmas and haven't heard a word about this.

As soon as I hear any news I'll let ye all know.

ryaner777 wrote: »
    On my break working in Paypal at the moment. I've been in all over christmas and haven't heard a word about this.

As soon as I hear any news I'll let ye all know.

Thank you. Be careful that doesnt get you in trouble though!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Feck em!

Anyway Limerick also has Vodafone, albeit an overflow call centre but Vodafone nonetheless. No idea where it is though.

It's Arise and it's their broadband tech support afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Feck em!

Raheen (I think)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So remind us again why there was a Willie junket to Dell ? You're now saying that companies don't take kindly to that sort of stuff, and that if Dell had decided to stay it would have been despite Willie rather than because of him ?

I still reckon he'd have waffled about the "jobs he'd saved for Limerick" if they'd stayed, don't you ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement