Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torches

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive changed my edc torch from a led lenser P2 to a led lenser M5 the m5 has 3 light settings low bright and strobe
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PROFESIONAL-RANGE-Led-Lenser-M5-FREE-GIFT-P-P-/260884648133?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item3cbdefd0c5
    Its over double the price of the p2 ( i got it in a trade on adverts.ie) but I like the strobe part of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

I've gone back to the AA LED Maglite (got a couple cheaply not long ago) a mate who has used them a lot reckons the switch goes on them after a while but its not a problem I've suffered with yet. They also have the high low and strobe feature plus a SOS feature which I think is a bit tacky, another feature is the candle feature. You take the lense off and use just the bare LED, tried it a few times and found it better to hang the torch up high rather than stand it up like a candle.

I've several torches, but the one I carry in my day-to-day knapsack (a Maxpedition Condor II, but that's a whole other thread!) is a Surefire. Can't remember what model... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    In work (aviation), myself and fellow engineers have gravitated from 2/3-cell Old tech Maglites to rechargeable Mags to modded-to-LED Maglites to P14 lensers (company paid for them-Eu 70 a pop for a big order) and Lenser head torches. The P14s are first-class and they are great in terms of battery consumption, durability and reach of the light beam. Typically, an engineer would have two old cheap basic garage-quality torches for marshalling with fluorescent heads, the P14, a head torch and a small LED hand torch the workbag. What killed off the Maglites? Weight and the unreliability of the rechargeable batteries and the persistent and stupid talent they have for losing the rubber button.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

The dreaded rubber button on the old maglites :(. I've 3 maglites in the porch which are rarely used now (along with 2 everyready powerbeams) and all 3 lost the rubber buttons within a week or so of buying them, thought it was just something I did :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

"The smallest flashlight in the world"
    Pledge £15 or more

Approx $23. Receive one Solid Brass Silver Electroplated NanoLite with 3 full sets of miniature batteries. Shipping included to anywhere in the world.

Limited (1999 of 2000 remaining)

Estimated delivery: Dec 2013

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113768351/smallest-flashlight-in-the-world

One of the unique ways to fund creative projects.

(I really, really don't need another torch though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Have a look at the trustfire mini-01 or mini-03 if you want something small, powerful and with rechargeable/common batteries.

l am really liking the newer range from Nitecore which you can just charge using a standard micro USB charger from a phone/tablet

http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=74

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

bedlam wrote: »
    The important thing with this is it only takes 90 seconds to charge (otherwise it's a pretty average light).

Do you mean 14500 which would be the equivalent of AA size, the 18650 is closer to 2xcr123. For the AA / 14500 a Quark AA from 4sevens would do the trick as its head is good up to 4.2v (free shipping and discount available if you search for coupons).

I would imagine he means 18650 aren't they the laptop batteries?

I swear by my Fenix pd30 it runs on 2xcr123 which can be pricey but then I get at least a couple of months dog walking out of them in the winter.

The brightness from them is amazing, I have 2d and 4d cell maglites which I never use anymore because when you compare the beams to the fenix there is no comparison.

The Fenix is £55 from UK I think.

They also do a version which I would have got but it was out of stock at the time which runs on cr123 or 18650 rechargeables same price and called the pd32

Tabnabs wrote: »
    "The smallest flashlight in the world"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113768351/smallest-flashlight-in-the-world

One of the unique ways to fund creative projects.

(I really, really don't need another torch though...)
    You dont need one but id bet like me you will end up buying one :D

• Advertisement

Have a look at the trustfire mini-01 or mini-03 if you want something small, powerful and with rechargeable/common batteries.

l am really liking the newer range from Nitecore which you can just charge using a standard micro USB charger from a phone/tablet

http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=74
    Nice torch but the thing I dislike about torches like this is 325 hours on low burn time which is only 2 lumens :eek: better off with my old maglite and an led up grade. The 860 lumens only lasts 1.5 hours which is great but in the winter im out for about 10 hours in total darkness. 180 lumens lasts 7 hours. My led lenser P7 gives 220 lumens lasts for about 30 hours on 4 AAA batteries then gives you around 10 more hours on low which (im guessing) is around 5 lumens. Plus battery cost is a big factor for me if i forget to recharge my batteries for the maglite or led lenser I can pick them up cheap anywhere but if I used cr123s (have done in the past) €7.50 to €10 each and thats if you find a shop that stocks them at 2am. Just my opinion on this type of torch never used this particular type but similar ones in the past

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Nice torch but the thing I dislike about torches like this is 325 hours on low burn time which is only 2 lumens :eek: better off with my old maglite and an led up grade. The 860 lumens only lasts 1.5 hours which is great but in the winter im out for about 10 hours in total darkness. 180 lumens lasts 7 hours. My led lenser P7 gives 220 lumens lasts for about 30 hours on 4 AAA batteries then gives you around 10 more hours on low which (im guessing) is around 5 lumens. Plus battery cost is a big factor for me if i forget to recharge my batteries for the maglite or led lenser I can pick them up cheap anywhere but if I used cr123s (have done in the past) €7.50 to €10 each and thats if you find a shop that stocks them at 2am. Just my opinion on this type of torch never used this particular type but similar ones in the past

On my Fenix pd30 the low setting is 10 lumens, which sometimes is more than enough just for walking the dog or walking in general, I don't personally like being lit up like a Christmas tree all the time.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    On my Fenix pd30 the low setting is 10 lumens, which sometimes is more than enough just for walking the dog or walking in general, I don't personally like being lit up like a Christmas tree all the time.

Day to day id be the same but when I'm working id rather see them as far away from me as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I just swapped out the dodgy old bulb in my maglite solitaire for an LED, jaysis what a difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a couple of these they are great loads of life from 1 battery they can also be got in ir for night vision

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Have an Olight M21 Warrior for carrying around on my person when necessary!and 1 4cell Maglite in the motor!

I've been happy with my Quark Tactical QT2A for the last year but wouldn't mind getting something that throws out a lot of lumens to light up the garden, for example. Any recommendations for around the €50/60 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

The led lenser p7 is a great torch 200 lumens.

Now there is a led lenser p7.2 with a whopping 320 lumens.
    I reckon not only will it light up your garden it should light up your neighbours ones also!.

It seems to be in your price range.
    It's on my forever growing never ending to buy list.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LED-LENSER-P7-2-320-LUMEN-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-TORCH-FLASHLIGHT-GIFT-BOX-/171142696454?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item27d8e64e06#ht_6506wt_869

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've been happy with my Quark Tactical QT2A for the last year but wouldn't mind getting something that throws out a lot of lumens to light up the garden, for example. Any recommendations for around the €50/60 mark?

You looking to stick with AA batteries? I like the 4sevens stuff but for serious throw/lumens you'll be better off with 18650 batteries and form factor.

One good option in the AA form is http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=72
    It takes 4 AA and the unusual shape means it packs enough power to compare it to the lithium powered torches
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?354563-Nitecore-EA4-(XM-L-U2-4xAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

• Advertisement

These arent bad for general use 500 lumens €20 shipped batteries last about 2 hours http://www.ebay.ie/itm/500-Lumen-3-Mode-CREE-Q5-LED-Zoomable-Flashlight-WC-Torch-Zoom-Lamp-AA-or-14500-/251177008524?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item3a7b50fd8c

I keep a couple in case i want to light up my whole estate Id also have a look at miglite upgrade blubs (if you have a maglite) they are getting higher lumens every few months

Hi there
    Four Chinese LED torches from alibaba. Eu 4.87 each plus postage. Came to about 25 euro all in and took 16 days to get here. they are tough, fit in your palm and throw a great beam from 1 AA battery. I'll post a pic later.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

I only use 1 Headlamp and a couple of low end LED key ring torches.

SparkLight SD52 Cree XM-L2 T5 Neutral White 280 Lumen Flood light with Spot reflector.

takes 2 AA batteries and has 5 modes. I'm really impressed with the size and weight. 75gr without battery . with battery and headband 120gr.

very lightweight.
    http://www.spark-light.com/2013/products/SD52-NW.html

Just out of curiosity, I weighed an LED lenser headtorch I have. it's an older fixed-focus model, that uses 3 x AAA batteries. It weighs 105 g empty and about 137 g full. you'd scarcely notice it once you have it on, especially over a baseball cap...............incidentally, the Chinese torchs I got the other day weigh 80g including 1 x AA battery
    regards
    Stovepipe

Got a replacement P14.2 in work. The original P14 cracks it's lens too easily. This upgraded model is tougher and has a matt coating on it and some slight styling changes and so far, is working away and throwing out a great beam.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

On my key ring I carry (amongst other things) a micro photon freedom light, use it regularly for small stuff, had for three years and still have'nt changed the battery.. In my edc/bob I have a surefire e1l and a petzl e+lite! used them both yesterday helping a friend putting stuff in their attic.. No light and they don't have a torch in the house...better to have and not need..

Steps

Advertisement