Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torches

Options
  • 23-11-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

The knife thread started by Doc Ruby got me thinking. What type of torches do you use regularly. I have more torches than you can shake a stick at; I also have a habit of picking up cheap torches when I see them around. So which torches do you guys use? I have the following:

At my bedside a led lenser: not sure of the type but it takes 3 C cell. Also cheap Adli head torche.
    At my besside down in Dublin: a D cell maglite. Also cheap Adli head torche
    Sitting room: led lenser P14.
    Bike jacket pocket: AA maglite.
    Bike tool kit: cheap Aldi head torche.
    Kitchen drawer: windup torche.
    Always in my pocket: Gerber aa with red, blue, and green filters.

On top of this I have a petz head torche which I often take out with me in my kit bag. Another led lendser P14, maglite aaa which I gave to my father as a birthday present a long time ago, he gave it back to me about ten years ago when I started back on motorbikes. The I have various cheap led torches that I have picked up at petrol stations and the likes.

I always have a small torche with me, and I tend to pick up the cheap ones as you can never have too many, as the tend to hide when you need then. I find quality wise lede lendser is the way to go, they are much better than maglites; I tried the led upgrades for the mags but found the inferior.

I have just startef to use rechargeable batteries, do people here use them; if so what do you think of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Just ordered a wee one AAA LED keyfob light from this lot:
    http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp
    Figure this way its always gonna be with me. Have a couple of the head torches though they aren't really to hand so dunno how useful they are in an emergency! They are the handiest though. Add a small LED one that can act as a candle and you should be rocking.

Been looking into torches after the flooding when my big torch (in the back of the car) let me down by getting humid and therefore not working - bit disappointing. Anyway - looking for a possible replacement for that as a result. Thinking being its useful to have at least one big torch knocking about - though of course it should work in an emergency!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Two maglites, one monster which I patrol around the house with and can double up as a handy truncheon and a mini. The mini can be rail mounted on my rifle.

My favorite is a EverReady head torch which has red and white LED's plus a normal white light. Takes two AA's and will last weeks when using LED's, this comes almost everywhere with me. Even in bed I use it to read with the red led.

In my belt kit I have streamlight sidewinder, different colors, strobe and right angle so great for many situations. One of the best designed torches around.

Army issue right angle torch, this is a piece of shoite but had it for 15 years and it still kind of works. Very unreliable and eats batteries for breakfast.

Various other torches, I have a couple of cheap wind ups for emergencies. I have some bike likes that double up as torches.

Around 5 years ago I tested rechargeable batteries, I gave up within 6 weeks due to battery life and I needed to carry extra weight with them (more batteries) had a bit of bad experience after one ran out in 20 mins or so and have never used them since.

I only use Duracell now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My main torch that i use for everything is an LED lenser P7. If anyone is thinking of getting a decent torch buy a lenser, they start at 15 euro for keyring size that would put a mini mag to shame. the P7 is about 60 euro and worth every penny. the P14 that Odysseus has is the same light the guards use and has a serious beem. they all come with a warning to not shine into anyones eyes as they can burn them:eek:
    015plh.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    And its main purpose
    photo0138rd.jpg
    I have a good head torch that i bought in Aldi last year, has never let me down and the longest it was in use for without being turned off was about 6 hours on a hike last winter. €4 very well spent me thinks!

I have in the van with me all the time a mini mag for emergencies but also a spot lamp that plugs into the aux socket, this thing has about a 600meter beem
    017cfe.jpg

Have **** loads of others around the house as i too alway buy the cheap led ones in garages ect. next toarch i plan to buy is an LED Lenser X21 but at over 200 quid it'll have to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

krissovo wrote: »
    Two maglites, one monster which I patrol around the house with and can double up as a handy truncheon and a mini. The mini can be rail mounted on my rifle.
    Around 5 years ago I tested rechargeable batteries, I gave up within 6 weeks due to battery life and I needed to carry extra weight with them (more batteries) had a bit of bad experience after one ran out in 20 mins or so and have never used them since.

I only use Duracell now.

It the rechageable duracell I'm testing at the moment. Yeah the "other" function with the D cell maglite, I have mine from when I used to do security when I was in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I use rechargeables in my bike lights - never had any problems. And that's with cheap-ish rechargeables. I think they have got a lot better. Its worth checking the charge that they hold it does vary massively. And there is constant innovation going into the tech... the future:
    http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2011/11/batteries-energy-kung.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

My favorite is a EverReady head torch which has red and white LED's plus a normal white light. Takes two AA's and will last weeks when using LED's, this comes almost everywhere with me. Even in bed I use it to read with the red led.

In my belt kit I have streamlight sidewinder, different colors, strobe and right angle so great for many situations. One of the best designed torches around.

Army issue right angle torch, this is a piece of shoite but had it for 15 years and it still kind of works. Very unreliable and eats batteries for breakfast.

Various other torches, I have a couple of cheap wind ups for emergencies. I have some bike likes that double up as torches.

I only use Duracell now.

I've a few EverReady head tourches they had a really good special offer on in the local Supervalue about 2years ago and I got one for every member of the family. Only difference is ours take 3 AAA cells and not AA's, also have a single red or double white LED's. I'd certainly recommend the ones we have think they were only €3.99 including batteries seen them since at €8.99 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I've a decent quality wind up in my kit and a proton super bright LED on my car keys, it does red light of varying degrees if you hold the button down, good for keeping the night vision. Other than that I tried a few of those battery powered lanterns, not worth much, and I have a heavy duty stainless steel home torch for things that go bump in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_19337.htm

This Aldi light got good reviews on the hunting forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

511-53123_1.jpg

A bit of a sausage of a thing really. Very bright and all but only lasts an hour on full power + an hour on 1/3 power before needing to be returned to its proprietary charger. Its grand for use around the house but not one you'd throw into your rucksack for an extended trip away cause its too fecking big.

So I need to get a flashlight that runs off AA's or 18650's (LiFePo4). I used to have a led maglight AA but some little fecker broke it. not that it was a whole lot of good to begin with

Wonder if is the place to discuss other forms of illumination?

I'm a fan of the old tilley lamps, hurrican lamps and newer Coleman multifuel lanterns.

This would be the first thing I fire up during a power cut it runs for at least 8hours full belt and warms the place up, can't be hung up high indoors (shouldn't be in at all ;)) as you get a lot of heat off the top of it. Seems quite wind proof and runs on unleaded petrol (or very expensive Coleman fuel). Enough light to go chopping wood by or anything else you need to do out doors.

22749.jpg

Next up would be an old Bialaddin pressure lamp, it takes longer to get going with the meths preheating and often the powers back before its up and running, another long burner with good light, but both have the white noise hiss that you either love or hate.

1321812014-P1010001.gif

Then for good measure I've 4 old style hurrican lamps like the newly made ones below. I run them on expensive lamp oil which is less smelly to you than kerosene which also works fine in them.

421005404357768ed246d.jpe

In a SHTF situation I'd rely on the Hurrican lamps and the Bialaddin as I can get fuel for them from a few local places that won't be missing it if things get that bad.

OBVIOUS WARNING - Don't put petrol in a lamp designed for parrafin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Liked the Led Lenser T7 so much I now have 2. Also have 3 Led Maglites, 3AA, 4D cell and 2 D cell. All awesome torches.

Maglites allow the top to come off and afix to the base to allow the torch stand like a candle. very useful recently for a power cut.

Also have a few other odds and ends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Fiskar wrote: »
    Maglites allow the top to come off and afix to the base to allow the torch stand like a candle. very useful recently for a power cut.
    Interesting sidebar, if you point a torch at the ceiling of a normal room, it acts like a pretty good lightbulb.

Wonder if is the place to discuss other forms of illumination?

I'm a fan of the old tilley lamps, hurrican lamps and newer Coleman multifuel lanterns.

I have a cheap bluet one that runs on gas, great for my camper van with the heat and also during the power cuts. Head to a small room and it will be toasty in no time.

I must treat myself to some more, I like the look of the Coleman......Santa!

Can you get lights that run off the large calor/patio gas canisters?....There is a thought, google here I come.

I have a cheap bluet one that runs on gas, great for my camper van with the heat and also during the power cuts. Head to a small room and it will be toasty in no time.

I must treat myself to some more, I like the look of the Coleman......Santa!

Can you get lights that run off the large calor/patio gas canisters?....There is a thought, google here I come.

If your over in the UK down in Cornwall check out Trago Mills they only keep a few Coleman lines but they have the top of the range lantern for less than half what you'd pay here for it. Not sure of the price of the lamps but The Coleman multifulel stove is well over 100euro here and they have it for 50quid, another item on my list of nice to have items but can't really justify it as I have several other stoves.

Not seem one in a while but you used to be able to hire a spot light gas lamp for site work that clamped to the top of the standard domestic propane or butane bottles seem to remember they needed a special regulator?

eth0 wrote: »
    511-53123_1.jpg

A bit of a sausage of a thing really. Very bright and all but only lasts an hour on full power + an hour on 1/3 power before needing to be returned to its proprietary charger. Its grand for use around the house but not one you'd throw into your rucksack for an extended trip away cause its too fecking big.

So I need to get a flashlight that runs off AA's or 18650's (LiFePo4). I used to have a led maglight AA but some little fecker broke it. not that it was a whole lot of good to begin with

Led lensder would be the way to go imo, most of us in the civil denfense use them, though we pay for them ourselfs, the are issued to the cops, and the are popular with a lot in the military. They are imo currenly top of the range.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Led lensder would be the way to go imo, most of us in the civil denfense use them, though we pay for them ourselfs, the are issued to the cops, and the are popular with a lot in the military. They are imo currenly top of the range.

seen a 85lm one that runs off 1 aa. they any good? Do these mind being run off NiMH cells?

eth0 wrote: »
    seen a 85lm one that runs off 1 aa. they any good? Do these mind being run off NiMH cells?

I'm not familiar with that model, but any type I have seen or use have been excellent. Which I 'm imagine is why people in the civil denfence, military and why they are issued to the cops. They are are also very popular with hunters especially the P7. I know the cost a bit but are well worth the cash but are imo worth the money.

Candle power forums is great, might ask in there actually. Though i havnt posted anything there for years

Led lensers are top of the pile, the p7 is the only torch iv had that stands up to constant use in all weather and tempertures. I know loads of other hunters who have tried similar, cheaper brands and all have failed at some stage and they all have lensers now

If your over in the UK down in Cornwall check out Trago Mills they only keep a few Coleman lines but they have the top of the range lantern for less than half what you'd pay here for it. Not sure of the price of the lamps but The Coleman multifulel stove is well over 100euro here and they have it for 50quid, another item on my list of nice to have items but can't really justify it as I have several other stoves.

Not seem one in a while but you used to be able to hire a spot light gas lamp for site work that clamped to the top of the standard domestic propane or butane bottles seem to remember they needed a special regulator?

Getting light from combustion is terribly inefficient. You'd be better off getting a super SER if its heat you're after

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote: »
    Really they are not, they are pretty average lights. The reason they are popular is that they are so readily available and have good marketing, just like Maglight before they missed the LED boat and lost favour.
    average or not they are robust and do exactly what they say it will. Iv had mine over a year, its been dropped banged, fell into water and snow, used hundreds of times and still working as good as the day i got it. If its an average light ill settle for average

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Hi, my mixed-bag,

Bedside:
    Maglite LED 2 Cell D with 2 IMEDION 9500mAh Reghargeables. One of the guys in work spotted them on offer on Amazon a while back so a few of us got one each.

Downstairs/Office:
    Mini-Mag 2AA (old one) have it for years. Original Bulb went recently. I normall keep it on a shelf with a pair of AA NiMH's in it.

60 LED Light bar. Dunno where I got it from (Aldi/Lidl?). Does better than the 2.5Hour claimed runtime. It'll charge from cigarette lighter or a small PSU that comes with it in 6 hours.

Brightmaster AC/DC Rechargeable Twin Flourescent. It will automatically come on if there's a power failure. I replaced the GEL battery a year or two ago. (Just realised that it's not plugged in and battery is flat, oops). This served us well during several power cuts. Dropped it at the kitchen door and it put enough light into three rooms to let us get about.

A Powerbright LED light strip. Runs of the common 13.8V PSU/Battery in the office.
    http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/pwrbrite-led-light-strip.html

A possible Lidl purchase. Uses a Krypton 4.8v 0.75A bulb. Orange filter on head that folds so the torch can be stood on its end. Charges from a 12 Volt PSU.

Wind up/Solar Powered Radio/Torch. Probably a Lidl job. Leave it on windowsill upstairs to keep it charged.

Go-Kit/Bag:
    Small Kinetic Torch (Have it ages)
    Energizer 2 White/1 Red LED Headlight (Got three of these when they were on sale for about 7 Euro in Dunnes a few years ago)
    Princeton Tec Rage

Car:
    Larger Kinetic Torch
    Energizer 2 White/1 Red LED Headlight

All these have been random purchases over the years, no particular thought put into them other than the LED head torches. I'd like to get something better torchwise for the car and small to carry with me.

Lots of re-chargeables are crap. I have AA hahnel 2700's that I got somewhere. They have all been used together in one device. 2 Cells are dead, other 2 are down to 1700maH capacity.

The IMEDIONS above I've only just got (and they are expensive). I've not flattened them yet a few times so can't comment on their capacity. Best Ni-MH AA's that I have are PowerEx's. Though I got two eneloop AA's with something recently. Actually I'm going to flatten them now in the mini-mag and measure what they need to re-charge them.

Just picked up a couple of the wind up ones from Aldi, looks and feels ok. One for the car and one for the grab bag.

I forgot about my LED workshop lamb, very handy bit of kit I have in my camper that cost 10 or 12 € from aldi. Very good light and lasts ages, I hang it from a tree when camping while cooking or if a few of us are chilling out in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

In work I use a led lenser P7 nice compact torch 200 lumens and great battery life I also carry a P2 everywhere its 80 lumens but a great backup if needed
    At home Ive 2 4cell maglites one downstairs one upstairs both have led blubs and the tail caps replaced with glass breakers
    Attached to everyones beds are AA maglites with the led upgrade
    Petzl headlamps all round in the emergency backpacks incase we have to leave the house for whatever reason and a load of the emergency windup torches

Im looking for something new to replace the maglite 4 cells but sofar have been unable to find something as strong Any ideas let me know

[QUOTE=grapeape;75678656
    At home Ive 2 4cell maglites one downstairs one upstairs both have led blubs and the tail caps replaced with glass breakers

Im looking for something new to replace the maglite 4 cells but sofar have been unable to find something as strong Any ideas let me know[/QUOTE]

Where do you get the tail caps for the mags? They would be useful?

bedlam wrote: »
    If you like the format consider just replacing the guts of the Maglite with a Malkoff Drop-in. Something in a smaller format the HDS Clicky and Rotaries are near bombproof
    Ive done every upgrade possible to the maglites just on the hunt for something new was looking at the Led lenser x21 1000 lumens but its a bit pricy at the moment

Odysseus wrote: »
    Where do you get the tail caps for the mags? They would be useful?
    Ebay they have them for every size mag and a tactical front that makes a great addition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got a Surefire Executive Defender pocket torch.Thing is as bright as Hell,and is designed to blind in a defensive situation.Trouble is,it eats expensive camera style batteries and its very fancy bulb lasts about 2hours in continous use.:( The bulb isnt available over here.UK or EU are the next dealerships for it.Costs about 40 euros as well.
    Have still got a 4D cell maglite,which is proably now over 30 years old and still works like a trooper.
    Would have to say Maglite still gets my vote for best reliable all rounder.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Got a Surefire Executive Defender pocket torch.Thing is as bright as Hell,and is designed to blind in a defensive situation.Trouble is,it eats expensive camera style batteries and its very fancy bulb lasts about 2hours in continous use.:( The bulb isnt available over here.UK or EU are the next dealerships for it.Costs about 40 euros as well.
    Have still got a 4D cell maglite,which is proably now over 30 years old and still works like a trooper.
    Would have to say Maglite still gets my vote for best reliable all rounder.
    I had the same trouble with a fenix on AA batteries an hour a set that's why I changed to the led lenser P7 not as bright but great all round torch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 combatblade1

I have a led lenser m7r unbelievably bright and comes with charger and case etc which can charge the light from a usb or plug socket highly recommend this torch.

Advertisement