Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rossmore, Quicke or JD loader

Options
  • 22-11-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Thinking of putting a Rossmore loader on a John deere tractor. Works out alot cheaper than buying a Quicke or JD loader.

Rossmore has the self levelling, quick attach, shock absorbers and will be sprayed john deere colours..

Anybody any info on what they're like to work with though, reach, handling etc..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Thinking of putting a Rossmore loader on a John deere tractor. Works out alot cheaper than buying a Quicke or JD loader.

Rossmore has the self levelling, quick attach, shock absorbers and will be sprayed john deere colours..

Anybody any info on what they're like to work with though, reach, handling etc..

Thanks

there grand will end up rusting quicker
    did you price around for the loader???

• Registered Users Posts: 22 golfcruiser

flatout11 wrote: »

Yep, Rossmore fully fitted = €5800

JD fitted = €9000-9500, with Quicke the same give or take 300 each way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Im in the process of getting a front loader myself, can I just ask what does the 'self levelling' function do ?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

polod wrote: »
    ......what does the 'self levelling' function do ?
    It has a parallel linkage, so whatever tip you have the front implement at, bucket, fork etc, it will stay at that level, when you lift up the loader.
    On an ordinary loader, the higher you lift it, the more the front bucket tips up. It's handy, but not a necessity.

Ordinary

front_loader.jpg

'self levelling'
    2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

If travelling on the road with the loader on then i would consider the anti bounce whatever its called a necessatity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Tipp Man wrote: »
    If travelling on the road with the loader on then i would consider the anti bounce whatever its called a necessatity
    id agree fully with tipp man , think its called soft drive - lot eaiser on the tractor
    prices seem a bit steep then again it was a few years ago but i remember the quickies were coming in around €7500 ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What don't they galvanise the bloody things?
    It wouldn't cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I would say self leveling is a necessity. After years on one, I used a non self leveling one day and reversing back while lifting, landing a bucket full of meal onto the cab:o

As for the makes, Quicke > JD > Rossmore. At those prices though...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Thanks

local dealer sells both rossmore and quicke, he was telling me the anyone that buys a rossmore comes back after few years and buys the quicke ,we bought a second hand quicke this year very strong and the brackets are way tidier than the rossmore brackets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

local dealer sells both rossmore and quicke, he was telling me the anyone that buys a rossmore comes back after few years and buys the quicke ,we bought a second hand quicke this year very strong and the brackets are way tidier than the rossmore brackets

+1
    had a rossmore, no trouble with it but have a quicke now and its a way tidier, rossmore is a clumsy loader, also hate the bracket part that comes across bonnet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

ffs at those prices a mf 50hx or something similiar is looking v tempting

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

flatout11 wrote: »

FFS. There was a lad on another thread, wondering about spending €1,100 on a three point link thing for unwinding bales. He was nearly ran out of the place and told to put loader on his tractor instead.

Now I know where he was coming from, with loaders costing this kind of money.

Get a 3CX, or a decent enough teleporter for a few bob more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Self levelling also increases the lift capacity of a loader. Dont ask me to explain the physics of it, cos I dont understand them, but it does increase lift capacity.

Mental money alright though, as said you'd get a tidy digger for 9 grand.

BeeDI wrote: »
    FFS. There was a lad on another thread, wondering about spending €1,100 on a three point link thing for unwinding bales. He was nearly ran out of the place and told to put loader on his tractor instead.

Now I know where he was coming from, with loaders costing this kind of money.

Get a 3CX, or a decent enough teleporter for a few bob more.

Those prices are for a brand new loader

I don't think anybody in the thread you refer to told the guy he should get a brand new loader - a secondhand loader would do him fine - he was only feeding a couple of pens of cattle

Around us several people have traded in the JCB or the telehandlers for tractor with loaders - they have said the tractor loader is a lot more flexible

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Have a look at an MX, they have better visibility than the Quicke which can obscure your sideways vision at times. We have a Q55 and its great but having used an MX kinda sorry didn't go for one as they're a lot neater, have a lot better joystick and as good if not better on price.
    Spent years with a pos loader on a pos tractor. Would not go back now, the time saved by having a machine fit for the job is unreal. Best thing we ever bought imo.
    As for the 50B idea, who wants another ball of scrap around the place to break down? They're painfully slow on the road and can't do any other job other than load. A good loader on a good tractor makes money. If you keep your eye out you'll find a 2nd hand loader to fit your tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

you're the only one suggesting a 50b piece of scrap. others suggested a 3cx or 50hx, relatively modern machines, and a tidy one could be bought for 9.5k

Generally the arm on the back can do a hell of a lot more than load too :)

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/plantmachinery/for-sale/Ireland/3cx?filter(max_price)=10000&filter(min_price)=8500&source=all

JohnBoy wrote: »
    you're the only one suggesting a 50b piece of scrap. others suggested a 3cx or 50hx, relatively modern machines, and a tidy one could be bought for 9.5k

Generally the arm on the back can do a hell of a lot more than load too :)

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/plantmachinery/for-sale/Ireland/3cx?filter(max_price)=10000&filter(min_price)=8500&source=all

how bloody awkward around the yard would that be

wouldn't touch 1 with a barge pole myself

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

is the rossmore price including everything loader, brackets, joystick, fitting, including vat ??
    only reason i ask is im pricing tractors and loaders lately and the amount of lads with ****ty loaders on tractors telling you the loader is worth 5 grand - at least.
    thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Tipp Man wrote: »
    how bloody awkward around the yard would that be

wouldn't touch 1 with a barge pole myself

I see your point, and I saw on another thread, you feed 800 cattle, or some big number like that.
    Obviously, you need to be and you probably are geared up to do that in a way that keeps you sane. Good modern tractor / loader combo, would be a basic necessity. Full stop.
    But if you are a small operator, you might well contract in a lad in summer with gear like yours to stack bales and so on, as you may have a handy oldish tractor without loader. Finding second hand loader and doing all the fitting and plumbing for these tractors, is not as easy or cheap as you would hope for!
    In that case a JCB kind of machine, would get you by for winter feeding, and would be damn handy to have throughout the year. Small farmer who would get limited use out of a front loader on a tractor, would find plenty to do with a JCB. Winter in the yard. Summer on the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Old rossmore loaders wer a heavy dog of a thing on a tractor, used on on a 390t no features like you listed on it now so maybe they have made good progress over the years, the reach was very poor also, but if thats the correct price its hard to pass, i also heard a newholland service guy giving out about the poor access to the engines when rossmore are fitted no hassle with the quicke ones,
    like the idea of a digger too and have often thought about it but its getting in and out of sheds with it could be a problem, then again you could always knock them down with the arm on the back

• Advertisement

BeeDI wrote: »
    I see your point, and I saw on another thread, you feed 800 cattle, or some big number like that.
    Obviously, you need to be and you probably are geared up to do that in a way that keeps you sane. Good modern tractor / loader combo, would be a basic necessity. Full stop.
    But if you are a small operator, you might well contract in a lad in summer with gear like yours to stack bales and so on, as you may have a handy oldish tractor without loader. Finding second hand loader and doing all the fitting and plumbing for these tractors, is not as easy or cheap as you would hope for!
    In that case a JCB kind of machine, would get you by for winter feeding, and would be damn handy to have throughout the year. Small farmer who would get limited use out of a front loader on a tractor, would find plenty to do with a JCB. Winter in the yard. Summer on the land.

800 bales not 800 cattle;) we're nowhere near that size and I'm damn glad i wasn't trying to buy 800 cattle this autumn:D

I take your point - but i just think that the JCB is too awkward around a yard. If you are only feeding a small number of cattle then a new tractor and loader is a long way from a necessity but you can pick up a decent tractor and loader for not much more than the cost of those JCB's

Just my opinion - horses for courses i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

Good luck with your tidy, modern 20 year old machine. Been there, done that. You'll still need a tractor though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

6600 wrote: »
    Good luck with your tidy, modern 20 year old machine. Been there, done that. You'll still need a tractor though...

:rolleyes:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You'll still need a tractor but a dedicated loader is the most useful thing on a farm, that doesn't mean taken the tank or mower off to go feeding etc For me a dedicated loader eg 860, 50hxs, 3cx > tractor loader, in terms of loader strength, front axle strength, ballast, steering lock, shuttle, loader speed. The latter few only in comparison to older tractors mind. I drove an 6630 with a loader this summer and it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

go quicke,there is a reason why they can charge but mx are good too.a loader is something you are using every day and a more user friendly setup makes life a lot easier and you will do more.use my own to throw silage and went to do it for a neighbour with his setup this year and couldnt do half the job .as for digger verus loader debate,a lot of those older diggers give a nice bit of trouble and feeding silage you have to do it on the day so would prefer a fresher loader on a tractor than an older digger/tractor combo.also separate digger/loader are a pain in the ass if you are renting a lot of outside blocks and dont have some to drive it or ferry you around.however they have higher work rates and more capacity so it depends on your setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

6600 wrote: »
    Have a look at an MX, they have better visibility than the Quicke which can obscure your sideways vision at times. We have a Q55 and its great but having used an MX kinda sorry didn't go for one as they're a lot neater, have a lot better joystick.

In relation to the joystick on the Quicke, are they problematic?

We had a Rossmore and now have a Quicke. The self leveling is handy but you quickly get used to a loader without it anyway.
    The Quicke is a sweeter loader all round and much berrtr on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

cousin had rossmore loader on a case said it was middlen. the neighbour has the same tractor with quickie loader he was driving his and he said rossmore compared to quickie quickie lot lot better for the 4000 extra go for quickie or buy a secound had quickie tid be just as good.

ellewood wrote: »
    is the rossmore price including everything loader, brackets, joystick, fitting, including vat ??
    only reason i ask is im pricing tractors and loaders lately and the amount of lads with ****ty loaders on tractors telling you the loader is worth 5 grand - at least.
    thanks.

5800 including fitting, brackets etc.

JD loader comes in at about 5-6k, if you were buying a new tractor aswell.

JD and Quicke loader's vary in price, but theres usually about €300 between them either way.

blue5000 wrote: »
    ffs at those prices a mf 50hx or something similiar is looking v tempting

Rossmore price is reasonable enough, but the others are too expensive in my opinion.

What price would a 50hx be, hp etc.??

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Buy the quickie if you can a far better loader than the rossmore imo.

A mechanic told me that its a nightmare to work on a tractor that has a rossmore loader plus the features like quick attach and soft ride make the quickie a superb loader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

just on the 50hx side, got one about 8-9 years ago and have to say was a great buy, yes they can be awqward around a tight yard or shed but the you have to wait almost 20 years to get a tractor and loader conbo that can match the ease of use (or about 30-40k) but yes you will still need a tractor, they are not really designed for pulling and are slow on teh road but thats not they are for. alos you will be delighted at what else you can use them for our own is teh main machine on the farm.
    now i am looking to change the tractor and will be getting one with a loader but i wont be gettign rid of the digger there is always work for it here.

if you have a decent tractor and dont need it for lots combined tractor and loader work (drawign bales, dung etc) and have a high enough shed to take the back actor you can pick up a good digger for about 10k, this will save the front axel and clutch (and your left knee). if you still need the tractor for some light loader work then get a second hant loader for it.

Advertisement