Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I believe in Kevpants" (S&SS Off Topic thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Big Z is unreal still smashing records & still getting stronger at 36!That Deadlift looked easy. Dude also has an amazing overhead press. Have to try & hit that event in Navan.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfMTf41Jo1bQ&v=fMTf41Jo1bQ&gl=IE

How much do straps come in to play in a strongman Deadlift? Big Z etc would still pull massive numbers but wonder how many extra KG it gets them on the bar?

How much do straps come in to play in a strongman Deadlift? Big Z etc would still pull massive numbers but wonder how many extra KG it gets them on the bar?

Interesting one. I find it hard now I've changed from mixed grip to double overhand.

http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/2012-wsm/europes-strongest-man-results/
    Headingley Carnegie stadium, home of the Leeds Rhinos Rugby League team played host to the 2012 Giants Live Europe’s Strongest Man contest on Saturday 23rd June. A wildly enthusiastic crowd of 5,000 spectators were treated to an outstanding event from start to finish. With a list of athletes that included six of the ten finalists from WSM 2011, it was the most competitive line-up ever seen on British soil. Twice WSM Zydrunas Savickas was in action, as were the Britons, and 3rd and 4th place WSM finishers Terry Hollands and Laurence Shahlaei. Joining them was the Icelander Thor Bjornsson. Bjornsson was on a fine run of form, having recently taken his national title, winning each of the seven events. The always consistent Serbian Ervin Katona and Lithuanian powerhouse Vytautas Lalas rounded out the WSM finalists from last September. Poland’s Krzysztof Radzikowski and Italy’s Alex Curletto were also in action, both of whom have WSM experience. The newly crowned Scotland’s Strongest Man, Ken Nowicki was present, as were the English duo of UKSM Eddie Hall and Jay Hughes. Four-times the Republic of Ireland’s Strongest Man, James Fennelly completed the field at this prestigious event.

With six events tackled in total, including two maximum efforts, the chances of a world record being broken were high given the quality of the men involved. As it transpired, one was indeed surpassed, and that was done in stunning fashion.

The first discipline of the day was the log lift for maximum weight. Savickas’ pedigree in the log lift is well documented, but both Radzikowski and Lalas are phenomenal overhead lifters. On this occasion Zydrunas was pushed as hard as he has ever been in this event by his countryman and the Pole. Radzikowski in particular, was unbelievably close to hitting the 216kg mark. Ultimately though, Big Z did what he has been doing for years and took the event, with a world record lift of 216kgs, spurred on by the volume of noise from the huge crowd. What was even more impressive was that, yet again, Savickas still seemed to have strength in reserve if he had needed to go heavier. It was an explosive opening to the day, which had the crowd on their feet.

377_edited-1-513x342.jpg

The deadlift for maximum weight followed almost immediately, and with an opening lift of 360kgs, this was always going to give an indication as to who would be in contention for the overall title. As if any more proof was needed about the calibre of the competitors, eight men all made a lift of 400kgs. More were then eliminated as the weight jumped to 415kgs, and the final lifts of the day were at 433kgs. Shahlaei, Lalas and Radzikowski were not quite up to the task on this day and remained on 415kgs. This left Savickas, who pulled his 433kg lift with relative ease, and took his second consecutive event win.

612-513x342.jpg

Following the deadlift, the clear crowd favourite Terry Hollands had to very reluctantly withdraw from the contest due to a serious calf injury. Disappointed as he was, there was no way that the man from Dartford could have continued. As the rain began to fall, event three was the frame carry. The 350kg frame had to be carried down a forty metre course. As at BSM, the width of the frame proved problematic for some, whilst for others it became a sheer test of grip. Shahlaei, who is known for his grip strength, demonstrated this to great effect, and he was the only man to complete the course. The Irishman Fennelly impressed in second place, with Katona edging out Lalas and Savickas. In the overall standings, at the half-way mark, Big Z was leading, with his closest pursuers being Lalas, Shahlaei and Radzikowski.

773-513x342.jpg794-513x342.jpg

With the sun shining again, next up was the 185kg shield carry, which was going to be another lung-busting event. On the out and back course, only four men made it beyond the turning point at forty metres. Roared on by the crowd, the giant Icelander Bjornsson was in a class of his own, taking the unwieldy shield a distance of eighty metres. Bjornsson made this look effortless as he wrapped his arms around the shield and motored down the course. This was almost twice as far as Savickas, who took second here.

870-513x342.jpg899-513x342.jpg

With two events remaining, it was still Savickas out in front, but with Lalas, Shahlaei and Radzikowski following closely behind. Given the fireworks seen in the first event, the fifth event, the overhead medley promised more of the same. There were three implements to be tackled in the following order: a 96kg giant dumbbell, a 150kg axle and a 120kg metal block. The dumbbell had to be lifted once, the axle twice, and the block once. The three men who dominated the log lift did the same here, and Savickas showed that he is the king of overhead lifting, narrowly pipping Lalas and Radzikowski. Bjornsson and Curletto also deserve praise for completing each of the required lifts.

1005_edited-1-513x342.jpg1054-513x342.jpg
    With one event remaining, it looked certain to be Lithuanian one-two, but which would take the title of 2012 Europe’s Strongest Man? With two kegs and two sandbags to be loaded onto the back of the Great Wall Steed S pick up (which was also the prize for the winner of the contest), it would be a matter of which of the competitors had anything left in the tank after a gruelling day. Lalas clearly did have the energy required as he took the win in the event, but Savickas did enough to ensure that he took the title overall.

1269-513x342.jpg

Given the phenomenal competitors on show it came as no surprise that this contest more than lived up to expectations. There were numerous highlights, ranging from Savickas’ tenth world best in the log lift and the battle in the deadlift, through to Shahlaei’s blistering frame carry and Bjornsson’s imperious shield walk. Another fact that cannot be stated enough was the involvement of the crowd. Although they were there in the main to support the British competitors, every single athlete, whether British or otherwise, was supported and encouraged throughout by the five thousand who were in attendance. This ensured that the atmosphere was completely electric for the entire duration of the day, and was greatly appreciated by all who competed.

For Big Z, it is another title to add to his vast collection and he has earned himself a ninth trip to World’s Strongest Man. Lalas and Shahlaei will be joining him at WSM, each hoping that they can capture the biggest prize in strongman. Any who may have questioned whether Savickas still has the hunger to continue at the highest level, fourteen years since his WSM debut, got a decisive response at 2012 Europe’s Strongest Man.

Final standings:

Zydrunas Savickas (Lithuania)
    Vytautas Lalas (Lithuania)
    Laurence Shahlaei (England)
    Krzysztof Radzikowski (Poland)
    Thor Bjornsson (Iceland)
    Ervin Katona (Serbia)
    James Fennelly (Ireland)
    Eddie Hall (England)

1377-513x342.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Depends on the guy but it's safe to say they make a big difference for everyone. I think bigZ would suffer badly without them though because his grip often causes him to place poorly in farmers walk or other carrying events without straps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Kev M wrote: »
    Depends on the guy but it's safe to say they make a big difference for everyone. I think bigZ would suffer badly without them though because his grip often causes him to place poorly in farmers walk or other carrying events without straps.

Yup. Plus with hitching and stuff that places a much bigger demand on grip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

We will have one athlete competing in the 2012 Paralympic games powerlifting. Roy Guerin will compete in the 67.5kg class for benchpress. Hit 130kg in qualifying. With a bit of luck he will get some air time on setanta.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    We will have one athlete competing in the 2012 Paralympic games powerlifting. Roy Guerin will compete in the 67.5kg class for benchpress. Hit 130kg in qualifying. With a bit of luck he will get some air time on setanta.

Holy moly. That's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

That's awesome.

Huge bench.

Best of luck to him.

What's your gym/where you train?

• Advertisement

Da Za wrote: »
    That's awesome.

Huge bench.

Best of luck to him.

What's your gym/where you train?

Nothing to do with me, i hardly know the man! I know years ago he used to train in a weightlifting gym in Tralee run by Jimmy O Mahony, not sure if he stills trains there. Went to college in Tralee in the late 90's and met him a few times in the gym and around town.

Roy previously competed in wheelchair racing in Athens?, defo at a previous world champs anyway. I have a swimmer in the squad and knew Roy was trying to qualify. Paralympic squad was announced today.

Anyway, setanta are showing all irish competitors during the games so hopefully he will lift well and get some tv coverage.

Just thought some on here would appreciate the event and in particular his numbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

heard about this a few weeks back but couldnt find any info on it to be sure.

hopefully he will get some air time. Arent CH4 the paralympic broadcaster this yet?

any info on what dates he will be competing?

heard about this a few weeks back but couldnt find any info on it to be sure.

hopefully he will get some air time. Arent CH4 the paralympic broadcaster this yet?

any info on what dates he will be competing?

Yep, C4 are the paralympic broadcaster, but i think setanta have pledged to show each irish athlete.

Not sure on dates yet but i will pop back when i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I might as well play this since I'm rubbish at the real thing. They allow pressouts and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Full retard right there :D
    winner.jpg

Fennelly is ahead going into tomorrows final four events.
    Todays events were 400kg super yoke, 200lb axle snatch for reps & a truck pull (harness only). Tough comp so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Crossfit Gaymes wadz announced (some of them)
    http://games.crossfit.com/article/individual-schedule-and-workouts-released

"split snatches with alternating legs required"

Motherf*ckers are wire taping my conversations. I've been joking about doing a alternate split snatch Isabel (full depth!) for a few months now.

I'm guessing the stuff that hasn't been announced yet will be the long events. The only stupid thing yet is throw a medicine ball from a GHD.

Men will throw 4 pound medicine balls. Women will throw 2 pound medicine balls

4 pound...did i miss read that...thats 2kg right...i really dont see the boint...

any man that competes in anything where the required weight is "4 pound" needs to have a good long think about his life..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Glenn Pendlay's new MDUSA team tryouts are streaming live atm for people interested in that kind of thing.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mdusa-training

Any results form the Leinsters?

i sent out the signal on the emo line a few minutes ago but no results back yet..... i imagine they are mid way through a food orgy or kneeling before ninja....the new emo god.

• Advertisement

All Irelands strongest man.

Fantastic event. Very heavy. Had a ford galaxy deadlift hold to start, a 500kg Conans wheel, axle dead-lift up to 230kg, 145kg atlas stone over a 4½' bar for reps and finally a push pull medley. Exhausting stuff.

1. James Fennelly
    2. Keith Maher
    3. Jonathan Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

i sent out the signal on the emo line a few minutes ago but no results back yet..... i imagine they are mid way through a food orgy or kneeling before ninja....the new emo god.

Really felt sorry for the last group of 10 lifters...they'd had a very loooooong wait and the place had cleared out by the time they were up.

A massive turn out for the comp so last group didn't start til after 7pm!

gymfreak wrote: »
    Really felt sorry for the last group of 10 lifters...they'd had a very loooooong wait and the place had cleared out by the time they were up.

A massive turn out for the comp so last group didn't start til after 7pm!

That seems to be the norm at some of these comps....time to go for 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Strongman competition on the east pier Kilmore Quay today, anyone have any details, taking a trip down for the seafood festival anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

DylanJM wrote: »

Should the judge be recording wen he's suppose to be judging?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

RNC wrote: »
    Should the judge be recording wen he's suppose to be judging?

That's not a referee.

Another thing, I thought someone said Clarence's opener was 155kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Frogdog wrote: »
    That's not a referee.

Another thing, I thought someone said Clarence's opener was 155kg?

He is a ref, he holds up a white paddle at the end of the video. The snatch video I linked seems to be wrong, it looks like 152kg, not 151kg as in the title.

Clarence will probably upload his own videos soon enough.

Frogdog wrote: »
    That's not a referee.

Eh, yes, it is. He quite clearly switches his camera for a white flag/paddle indicating a good lift.

And no, he should be videoing and refereeing at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

DylanJM wrote: »
    He is a ref, he holds up a white paddle at the end of the video. The snatch video I linked seems to be wrong, it looks like 152kg, not 151kg as in the title.

Clarence will probably upload his own videos soon enough.

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you meant the person actually taking the video we're watching.
    Hanley wrote: »
    Eh, yes, it is. He quite clearly switches his camera for a white flag/paddle indicating a good lift.

And no, he shouldn't be videoing and refereeing at the same time.

See above.

And I FYP for you.

Advertisement