Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3day<35min10km2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Best of luck with the log! a sub 35 min 10k is fast going!

I've heard about the FIRST program but never tried it. It sounds like something that might suit me as I'm busy from now until summer. Anyway, best of luck :)

Hi DogSlySmile, thanks for support :). So far I think it's an excellent plan and has definitely raised my game. Once I've settled into the routine I reckon it'll only take 3 to 3.5hr a week which will be pretty awesome :).

6596407745_e46c2c89bc_z.jpg

Struggling to find many positives today, It all started badly when I discovered a foot problem I have has returned :(, this is not the end of the world but will need 4 days of complete rest each week for the next couple of weeks.
    Other than that, my digestive system is not happy, my own fault as I've tempted faith we some pretty big diet changes and one or two cups of coffee. Hell has no fury like an upset stomach.

Tomorrow is my last day of training before I tapper for the race on sunday :D, so it'll be a swim as it's my last chance until next wednesday.

Nearly passed out in the shower after my swim today. So if you saw a pasty looking guy cover in shampoo sitting with his head between his knees that was me :o. I'm having visions of myself being rescued buck naked out of the shower by the ambulance crew as we speak, so in the grand scheme of things I probably got off lightly.

Anyway back to the swim, 10 lengths very easy in the open area, then the swim lane freed up a little so I splashed about for 1km and got out all in all very relaxed swimming.

Just noting for future ref: hamstrings are niggle city, not one specific location, not tender to touch, not load related, very mild almost electric pain.

So planning for better days,
    1) I'll start programming my 12 week program in the garmin tonight and adjust with sunday's 5km time.
    2) I'll get to see some one next week about my foot. But being realistic it will two sessions a week for a couple of weeks, I've decided that I'll be droping the long temp run as I think this will be the easest of the three to cover with cross training.
    3) Monitor my diet to see if what I think should be working is actually working.

Next report will be race day.

Just back from the Tom Brennan Memorial 5k
    This is an excellent race with a really nice flat course, and excellent organisation, so a big well done to Liffey Valley AC.

So how did my race go? Not feeling like I had a quick time in me today I thought I'd better start from the back. I did find myself filtering threw the field pretty quickly and I was still passing people right up to the end :). I think my pacing was fairly even with the second half slightly faster. I would have been happy to hold my pace for a few more km's if needed be.
    I'll have to wait for my offical time as I didn't run with a watch today, but the clock still had a 18 on it when I saw it on the home straight, so maybe sub 19 fingers crossed.

Plan for the week:
    Tomorrow (Monday) HR training session on the bike (googling requied)
    Tuesday: morning intervals, evening MA
    Wednesay: Swim (other club is not back for another week (phew!))
    Thursday: morning tempo run, evening MA
    Friday: Swim & or visit for my foot :(.

For the intervals and tempo runs I'll be using week 12 of the FIRST plan with my updated time.

ps: this was a PB for my 5km (first ever offical race) and will be 1 of the 10 round number :D.

Happy new year to you alll and hope you all get some great PB in 2012.

late addition here: http://www.endurancefactor.com/Articles/article-heartintro.html for heart rate zone
    I'm not at all sure of the value of using these zones for cycling to improve running performance, but I've got to start some where.

The plan for this session was to push my hr into zone 4, which for me was 164bpm or above while spining a small gear (lots of pedalling).
    This if far easier to say than do. Sufficed to say the session was junk :(.

6620925337_47f515c3da_z.jpg

Early morning intervals tomorrow, I'm dreading these already.

:( there's a weather warning on BBC for tomorrow morning, temp single figures, 5cm of rain and high winds :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done at the race, I was near the 4km mark with my kids entertaining everyone running past!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Well done at the race, I was near the 4km mark with my kids entertaining everyone running past!

Thanks Mr Slow, I think I heard your children sing....run faster if you can...
    I was waaaayyyyy to busy running to look over :).

It was literally lashing rain here this morning, great big swaids of the stuff being flung about by the wind.

I must admit before I looked at the data I thought the session was sh1t, but the aim was 8 x 400 @ 82sec and I have....
    Lap 1 105sec (missed the start :o)
    Lap 2 81sec
    Lap 3 80sec
    Lap 4 84sec
    Lap 5 81sec
    Lap 6 81sec
    Lap 7 82sec
    Lap 8 77sec
    So I'm pretty darn pleased with that :D.

6626327439_8ccc7f2c43_z.jpg

Post part two,
    90Min mma, first day back after the break so a nice easy session. Happy out with todays training :)

Definitely feeling my age this morning, so the plan for today will be a nice easy swim, lots of drills, and a nice slow one km.
    Tomorrow is my tempo session for week twelve, 1.5 km warm up, 5 km at short tempo @3:58, 1.5 km cool down. So 35 min all in all :),

Post part two.
    Just out of the pool, about 1500m total, my arms are definitely feeling the pad work from last night. But I've undo all the pool work by eating an icecream sunday, I dread the day they decide to make a large one :(. Swim wise more core/back work needed.

6639868663_58bfef5920_z.jpg

Ave pace 4:17/km
    Ave Hr 166bpm
    Plenty of room for improvement :(,

will post more later

Part 2
    Ok, I've decided not to sweat this one, (high winds, hiking boots etc) but I'll make sure I'm back on track with the next tempo session.

Part 3
    90min MA, lots of core work and I got completely hockeyed in sparing tonight, need more power, or easier sparring partners!

Swim tomorrow, as I can't get an appointment about my foot this week. I feel like a nice long slow swim to wind down the week.

• Advertisement

Swim was a wash out (pardon the pun), did my kick drills first 500m, doggy paddle drill 300m and when I went back to free style I had no stroke just crawled up and down the pool for about 500m before abandoning ship. Must remember to leave kick drills to the end in future.
    Tomorrow is 15km at 4:17/km. I'm promising myself I'll do some strength work over the weekend at some stage, and my poor bike needs a look in some where too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Donelson wrote: »
    Swim was a wash out (pardon the pun), did my kick drills first 500m, doggy paddle drill 300m and when I went back to free style I had no stroke just crawled up and down the pool for about 500m before abandoning ship. Must remember to leave kick drills to the end in future.
    Tomorrow is 15km at 4:17/km. I'm promising myself I'll do some strength work over the weekend at some stage, and my poor bike needs a look in some where too.

And, on occasion, you can switch things up by sprinkling the kick and pull drills in here and there to spread out the fun a bit. Sometimes I'll do a revolving swim/kick/pull/swim/kick/pull/etc set instead of doing big chunks of the same thing. For me, it adds variety, keeps things interesting, and I like to do them with little or no transition rest since I feel I'm resting my arms when I'm kicking, and I'm resting my legs when I'm pulling. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And, on occasion, you can switch things up by sprinkling the kick and pull drills in here and there to spread out the fun a bit. Sometimes I'll do a revolving swim/kick/pull/swim/kick/pull/etc set instead of doing big chunks of the same thing. For me, it adds variety, keeps things interesting, and I like to do them with little or no transition rest since I feel I'm resting my arms when I'm kicking, and I'm resting my legs when I'm pulling. :)

Your spot on Dory Dory, not sure why I did them like this today, I don't really swim with a plan, I just turn up and see what happens :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Donelson wrote: »
    Your spot on Dory Dory, not sure why I did them like this today, I don't really swim with a plan, I just turn up and see what happens :o.

Ah.....but a plan will help give you structure and direction...and goals. Plans are good. Don't be afraid of the plan. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ah.....but a plan will help give you structure and direction...and goals. Plans are good. Don't be afraid of the plan. ;)

Plans in two sports at the same time :eek:, sure 2 months ago I had no plans at all! the one plan I have now has me busting a gut 3 times a week :o. Plans are dangeous I tell's yah.
    As soon as I have my sub35 min 10km I'm going to start so serious work on my swimming, which if I'm honest is pretty poor at the moment, but I really enjoy it and I used to hate it :P. Now if there was only a FIRST plan for swimming :pac:.

Training today, was a bright spot in an otherwise poor day, I got up this morning to discover that somebody had broken into my car and stolen my kit bag :confused:, who steals other people old kit :confused:?? The planned spin on the bike got binned as I had to find somebody to replace my car's window :mad::(.

So training was key session 3 or long temp run with is 15km @ 4:17/km, Did hills and all at an average pace of 4:18 and a ave Hr of 163. and check out how smooth the HR and pace graphs look :D.

6654584443_b728d364a5_z.jpg

I still haven't make up my mind about using tomorrow as a rest day, I felt good today but last Friday I was exhausted and next week I'l be club training Monday - Thursday, So I'm leaning towards a rest day.

Edit: this was only suppose to be 9km.

Sunday, a little bit of strenght work but mostly a rest day.
    Monday (today), circuts, not too hard, but loads of push ups on a med balls, I love these they are soo bloody tough :D.
    Tuesday (tomorrow), 15min wu, 5x800m @ 3:26/km, 10min wd. a nice 5:15 start, I should be in bed already :p.
    I'm having these crazy notions that it would be nice to go for an eazy spin on the bike wednesday morning, I think I'm ill :o.

6671740015_d001302dd8_z.jpg

Target: 5 x 800m @ 17.14km/hr
    Actual(km/hr): 17.4, 17.0, 18.0, 17.8,17.5 wit a max HR of 164

II
    Not a hope of me cycling tomorrow, it's only 4:30pm and I'd love a nap.

III
    Tonight was a reality check and a half, I'm going to have a few swollen joints in the morning, session wasn't anything special, but I was training on tired muscles, no flexibility or power. I need to stop and think.

If it was a 10km moan-athon I'd have it won :rolleyes:.

cried off football training tonight, didn't want to turn up half hearted. so headed for the pool instead, to describe this as junk would be a complement, about a km in total, of complete rubish.
    I did try a mod to my stroke that I saw in this video at 1:20 ish http://www.base2race.ie/news/aileen-morrison-at-the-base2race-swim-school/
    See where she slightly flips her wrist up during the glade part, anyway no faster or slower, but I do think it help with extending my stroke past my hips so I'll try it out for a few session and see if things improve.

In other news it was a busy day in work so I did up some plots of the First training plan, max km/wk is 35.5 and total training per week never exceeds 3hrs. If I can't do this :confused::confused::confused:.

Tomorrow session is 1.5km wu 3.5km @ ~3:55, 1.5km @ 4:52, 3.5km @ ~3:55 and 1.5 wd.
    I'm going to follow ecoli's advice and run on feel so I'm not really expecting to get any where near these times.

6680306927_f00de79292_z.jpg

6680302483_46b5fc8a3e_z.jpg

Finally I'll be moving my my intervals to the weekend next week and, tempo to Monday with the long run wed/thurs, so hopefully there be less moaning next week.

6683129487_7a6e50ce15_z.jpg

II
    All the words got censored out of my post, rotten session, rotten knee, just rotten rotten rotten!
    It was so rotten that I had to stop for sweets on the way to work.
    This is a miserable sodding plan!

III
    Great session tonight, feel tired but good. pool and foot doc tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

God, you really do need a phd in graph theory to read this log :D

• Advertisement

Sprocket77 wrote: »
    God, you really do need a phd in graph theory to read this log :D

EVERY BODY loves graphs, but I've added some words for you linguistic people, you's and your words :rolleyes:.

Down the pool today, laddered from 1-12 + 5wu so 83 lengths or ~ 2km. Lots of people in the pool today making me look silly, with their speedy and effortless swimming. :o

Reviewing the week,
    A very up and down week (I'm not nuts honest), I've been thinking about the failure at tempo runs and I feel it could be down to mental fatigue rather than a lack of fitness. So I'll be restructing my running to put my long run on thursday/wednesday with the temp on monday.

Training for the weekend will depend on how painfully my foot turns out to be, I am as soft as putty, so expect a lot of complaining with a side order of self pity. :pac:

Loaded training for tomorrow on to the garmin, more in hope than expectation. 1.5km wu, 6.5km @ 4:14/km, 1.5km wd.

Fecking ooooooouuuuuuccccchhhhhhhhh! Training canceled for tomorrow :( I've got a min of two more weeks of treatment, :(. I am miserable :(

2+ weeks of siting on my backside filing my cake hole, foot might be fixed, but could reoccur. Back training 10x100 in the pool, slow and sloppy, I'll need to dig in and put in the effort from here.

The plan for today it's to head down the gym and work up a sweat.
    I have a confession to make, chocolate coated nuts, I've been eating these every day for the last two weeks :(

II
    Gym for an hour, 30min run 6km, 15min row 3km, 15min cycle 7.5km.
    I'm aiming to be back on plan tomorrow.

Well yesterday, was a little off, couldn't holds my pace at all, I'm going to adjust the training plan to 20 mins as it's probable more realistic. Training tonight, I hope they'll go easy on me :)

II
    Another training season in the bank.

2 more sessions :) footy was good crack and easy going,
    Run season was week three work out three, 12.5km@4:29 tough but good, only fit for bed now, it'll take a fork lift to get me out of bed tomorrow :)

Another 90 mins of mma in the bag, pretty good week all round, nice swim tomorrow and a fairly easy weekend are in the plans.

• Advertisement

Nice easy swim 1500m, I'm supposed to be out on the beer tonight, but I'm thinking of going tea total so I can train properly tomorrow :o

Advertisement