Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget - possible Motor tax increase 5%

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

unkel wrote: »
    SORN is just more red tape. Why do you think people (who now don't pay motor tax) would start paying motortax if you have to declare the car off the road first? Motor tax is not enforced by Gardai now, that's why people don't pay it, especially outside of Dublin. They rightly think they can get away with it

Put it on fuel. If you don't want to pay motor tax, then you can't buy fuel and you can't drive. Simple :)

we dont all have great roads like in dublin!!!! some of the roads in other parts of the country are a disgrace,we pay motor tax then,you hit a pothole then u damage your car, all because they are 2 lazy to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

lordnoah wrote: »
    The new system is meant to be based on emissions. How does it make sense if my car has tax of €614 and another car with the same emissions has tax of €302. To me that is clearly unfair.

Hiya, my car is a 1.8 turbo and costs 551 to tax now and under CO2 would be an uneconomic 2100 euros to tax. If there was a shift on old cars to co2 then I would have no option but to export the car to the UK. This is similiar to most older high performance turbocharged cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lordnoah

lomb wrote: »
    Hiya, my car is a 1.8 turbo and costs 551 to tax now and under CO2 would be an uneconomic 2100 euros to tax. If there was a shift on old cars to co2 then I would have no option but to export the car to the UK. This is similiar to most older high performance turbocharged cars.

If the new system is about emissions, owners of a car with a Co2 rating should be able to elect to be taxed under the emissions system. It doesn't make any sense for the same 2007 car to have double the tax of the same 2008 car (for example).
    I didn't expect out government to do the right thing, I just find it annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Of border counties perhaps
    But for example a tenner saving (excluding the cost of both fuel and time to drive there and back) would it be worth it?

I wouldnt think so

So a 6c difference between north/south on a fill of 85L would be a saving of €5.10. Cross border fuel purchases may be more prominent on bordering counties, but...

Bigger picture here - Vat increases, probably more paycuts and multiple other things aren't making things down south any cheaper.

Trip up north would be cheaper goods and fuel at the same time, which would certainly be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

quick question not sure if im in the right place or not, My car tax is out at the end of december. Would they let me tax the car on the second of december to continue from when my tax does run out. or will they make me wait till the budget comes out ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sonyvision wrote: »
    quick question not sure if im in the right place or not, My car tax is out at the end of december. Would they let me tax the car on the second of december to continue from when my tax does run out. or will they make me wait till the budget comes out ???

You can tax it any time in December as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭sonyvision

thanks ill give it a go try to sort it befor the tax increase and then were all shafted like every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

So a 6c difference between north/south on a fill of 85L would be a saving of €5.10. Cross border fuel purchases may be more prominent on bordering counties, but...

Bigger picture here - Vat increases, probably more paycuts and multiple other things aren't making things down south any cheaper.

Trip up north would be cheaper goods and fuel at the same time, which would certainly be worth it.

Saving of €5.10 on the additional 6c/litre
    Vat increase 2% - negligible
    Paycuts - were happening before this change and will happen afterwards, not directly related to fuel costs imo.
    Other things: such as what? I really couldnt see anything having a large enough impact on non border counties.

I live in dublin, and a prospectve 5-10€ saving is not worth hours of my time and also the diesel cost to drive up north just to fill up.

Edited to add : a similar related post from another thread that would summise my viewpoint.
    You'd save €13 by filling a 60 litre tank with a 37c increase at current northern prices. The saving you make is proportional to how far you can drive to the border and back on €13 or less. So for anyone more than about 20 miles away, its a waste of time. Even at 20 miles, it means driving 40 miles just to save about a fiver.

Lets abandon a much better, fairer tax system because of maybe less than 5,000 people who'd bother, out of 4,500,000.

There are 10s of thousands of people not even bothering to pay tax, the northern irish argument is moot in my view.

Advertisement