Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget - possible Motor tax increase 5%

Options

Comments

In fairness that's not much of an increase, €50 if you're paying a grand per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Yeh I know, just starting to be a fairly long list of small increases from the gov

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I think it may not be a bad idea, esp. if they leave the old system alone.
    They are overpaying for similar cars already.

Anyone who could afford a new car in the last 2 years isn't too badly off.
    Even at that 10% could be added to all bands

Most cars bought in the past 3 years are in Bands A and B, that is only 10 euro for band A, 15 euro band B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

€30.70 rise for me, not too bad.

A rise in excise for diesel / petrol on the way too I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

They should really just increase the emission based taxes to realistic levels.

Eg:
    I have a 2001 1.9dtdi golf and I pay c.600 euro.
    Im looking at a 2002 530d and I would pay c1300euro

If i had cash for a 2011 530d I would be only paying a tenth of the 2002 model.
    The current system penalises those who cannot afford a new car and are not willing to borrow to fund a depreciating asset.

• Advertisement

ki wrote: »
    I think it may not be a bad idea, esp. if they leave the old system alone...................

Old system won't be left alone I'd say, more than 5% increase too me thinks unless they've changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

The pre-08 tax bands are already ridiculously high and shouldn't be hiked any more (and yes, I'm one of those people not willing to shaft myself to buy a newer car).

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They should really just increase the emission based taxes to realistic levels.

Eg:
    I have a 2001 1.9dtdi golf and I pay c.600 euro.
    Im looking at a 2002 530d and I would pay c1300euro

If i had cash for a 2011 530d I would be only paying a tenth of the 2002 model.
    The current system penalises those who cannot afford a new car and are not willing to borrow to fund a depreciating asset.

I agree with you, the only problem is if tax for the 530d was say 200 euro, it would be a lot more expensive to buy in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

20 a year increase for me. not bad but still a pain in my rectum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

€27 for me....i can take it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Well paying for a years Tax last week might turn out to be a good idea after all.

Saved myself a whopping €56 if that 5% figure comes into effect... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Does anyone know if the doubling of general carbon tax from €50 to €100 will effect the current emissions based motor tax?

Don't think it will but seems strange that it wouldn't

pippip wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the doubling of general carbon tax from €50 to €100 will effect the current emissions based motor tax?

Don't think it will but seems strange that it wouldn't

It will effect the fuel, not the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

At least what you drive is yours and not bank's or credit union's . How can anyone be proud of something that isn't theirs?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If they raise the VAT by 2% what would that mean for petrol prices :(

Vicxas wrote: »
    If they raise the VAT by 2% what would that mean for petrol prices :(

probably an actual rise of about 5%

pcardin wrote: »
    At least what you drive is yours and not bank's or credit union's . How can anyone be proud of something that isn't theirs?! :confused:

That's a bit of a silly statement. I would wager most people take pride in their house, yet the minority would actually own it...

In fact if someone took no pride in their house/car you would probably be questioning why they even "bought" one in the first place. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

This will put a nail on the coffin to the plus 3 Litre band adding 76 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dar83 wrote: »
    That's a bit of a silly statement. I would wager most people take pride in their house, yet the minority would actually own it...

In fact if someone took no pride in their house/car you would probably be questioning why they even "bought" one in the first place. :)

Did you get yourself an ST? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Bearcat wrote: »

Yes, that's going to hurt my pocket, but not as much as the Petrol/Diesel that will be going up this budget:(

VAT change +2%
    Carbon Tax change +2%ish
    Then add a probable average of 5c/litre on both petrol/diesel

So its going to be around 10c/litre increase :(:(

So,
    2011: 10kmiles/yr *23mpg = 2000 litres *€1.50 = €3000/yr,
    2012: 2000 litres *€1.60 = €3200/yr, plus €80ish in tax

So, my yearly bills will be €300 MORE:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Cionád wrote: »
    I agree with you, the only problem is if tax for the 530d was say 200 euro, it would be a lot more expensive to buy in the first place.

Yes - but the figures are just so exponentially higher than the 2011 equivalent. There should be a level playing field. In the UK for example, the emissions tax is on cars from 2001 onwards. If we followed their lead then it would be fairer.

Either that or increase the emissions txes so they are closer to emissions levels. eg my Golf example from earlier, is 588 (i think) on the old system, so the new model should be between 450-600 at least.
    pcardin wrote: »
    I agree with this sentiment totally, but a lot of others borrow 20-30k to save a few hundred p/a on tax. Not realising of course that (a) the interest on the loan probably is the same as the savings and (b) the current stupidly low level of motor tax is unsutainable and will be substantially increased once the majority of cars are 08+.

Houses are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Wait aren't the motor tax changes meant to be next year. this year most of the tax increases are already identified, with just 60M let to be outlined. surely a 5% increase in motor tax would raise more than 60M.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Bearcat wrote: »
    In fairness, if I bought a car knowing the tax was 1566 p/a, I doubt an extra 76 p/a is going to change my mind.

On a >3.0 car, whats 76euro, half a tank of fuel? Negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

mullingar wrote: »
    Yes, that's going to hurt my pocket, but not as much as the Petrol/Diesel that will be going up this budget:(

VAT change +2%
    Carbon Tax change +2%ish
    Then add a probable average of 5c/litre on both petrol/diesel

So its going to be around 10c/litre increase :(:(

Making it around 160c/litre when it's 154c/litre just across the border from me.........hhhmmmmmm, the days of going shopping and filling up in Newry may be returning.

draffodx wrote: »
    Did you get yourself an ST? :)

Yes. :D

But never mind that, I cant take any pride in it until I pay the bank back, unfortunately. :(

Ask me again in 3 years... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

If they were better at tackling the non payers by using the SORN and automatic fines system they wouldn't need the increase.

furtzy wrote: »
    If they were better at tackling the non payers by using the SORN and automatic fines system they wouldn't need the increase.
    Or putting all of taxation on fuel.........

EPM wouldnt like that now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

There would surely be queues into Newry if they did that

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote: »
    There would surely be queues into Newry if they did that
    Of border counties perhaps
    But for example a tenner saving (excluding the cost of both fuel and time to drive there and back) would it be worth it?

I wouldnt think so

Advertisement