Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack russell digging to escape everyday!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

maameeo wrote: »
    Thanks, didnt know that!

yea i think id get him a kennel, would feel like im locking him away if i put him in the shed, at least in kennel he could go walk around the garden.

Thanks

Sorry, I meant that you would leave the shed door ajar to let him get in and out! But a kennel would be fine. You'll need to raise it off the ground a little bit to avoid damp, and insulate it - poystyrene covered in feed bag plastic is a commonly used way!

Whispered wrote: »
    Garden size isn't really important to be honest because the dog will likely pick a favourite spot and spend their outside time relaxing there anyway. The fact you can walk the dog before and after work is much more important and is great. The days he is alone for so long, you might consider a longer morning walk to tire him out and a few extra toys. Be careful of him barking and annoying the neighbours when you are out. Maybe knock in and explain the situation and ask them to let you know if there are any issues.

Yeah, if my mother's JRT is anything to go by, cats may be a major barking trigger...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Whispered wrote: »
    Garden size isn't really important to be honest because the dog will likely pick a favourite spot and spend their outside time relaxing there anyway. The fact you can walk the dog before and after work is much more important and is great. The days he is alone for so long, you might consider a longer morning walk to tire him out and a few extra toys. Be careful of him barking and annoying the neighbours when you are out. Maybe knock in and explain the situation and ask them to let you know if there are any issues.

good idea, thanks for that advice.
    Jelly2 wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant that you would leave the shed door ajar to let him get in and out! But a kennel would be fine. You'll need to raise it off the ground a little bit to avoid damp, and insulate it - poystyrene covered in feed bag plastic is a commonly used way!

omg lol! sorry!
    as i said never had a dog before, ill probly treat him like a baby and not want to leave him in the garden at all!
    if i do end up taking him ill be on here all the time asking for advice like that about the kennel! thanks so much :)

omg lol! sorry!
    as i said never had a dog before, ill probly treat him like a baby and not want to leave him in the garden at all!
    if i do end up taking him ill be on here all the time asking for advice like that about the kennel! thanks so much :)

I did wonder about that! Personally, I would leave him indoors while out, but as long as he has shelter, some space and toys, there's nothing wrong with leaving him in the garden. A lot of the same stuff applies for indoors anyway, although not the kennel obviously!
    Good luck with your plans; having a dog of your own is so rewarding.:D

omg lol! sorry!

One more thing about the kennel - some of them come with thick plastic strips hanging in the entrance, which are very good for blocking wind and rain while still allowing the dog to go in and out.
    Sorry, I'm going a bit overboard in my suggestions; it's just exciting to follow someone 'thinking through' a dog homing :)issue, without having to try to persuade them not to send the animal to the pound!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

thanks, think ill try wrangle the family to take turns walking him, it must be the boredom getting to him.

appreciate the advice guys.

Just wondering if it comes to it and she wants to get rid of him, would he be ok with me?
    i work full day monday, thurs and friday, half day tues and wed. ive a bigger back garden and id have more time for walks as my daughter is older. would it be cruel leaving him in the back for those 3 full days??
    ive never had a dog before because i worked full time and thought it wasnt fair onthe dog.
    would u be able to walk the dog in the morning before going to work? We walk our dog in the morning before work for a couple of k's and she gets a swim. Then if she is left on her own for the full day we give her a Kong and bone. Then she is walked as soon as we get home. She is also inside wit us all evening. Personally i think it's doable to leave a dog on their own for the full day as in the evening you look after them and they spend time with you in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

just to add routine is key with dogs so once you bond with the dog and establish a routine that works he will be happy enough.
    If we get home at 5 or before dog is asleep in her kennel. By 5.30 she is outside waiting by gate cos she knows exactly what time we get home

Jelly2 wrote: »
    One more thing about the kennel - some of them come with thick plastic strips hanging in the entrance, which are very good for blocking wind and rain while still allowing the dog to go in and out.
    Sorry, I'm going a bit overboard in my suggestions; it's just exciting to follow someone 'thinking through' a dog homing :)issue, without having to try to persuade them not to send the animal to the pound!

no i really appreciate it, im getting excited thinking about it myself. i love him to bits and have taken him on the odd weekend. my other half always says we cant have a dog coz its not fair to leave him at home when we are in work but he said maybe with my half days it might be doable. :D
    would u be able to walk the dog in the morning before going to work? We walk our dog in the morning before work for a couple of k's and she gets a swim. Then if she is left on her own for the full day we give her a Kong and bone. Then she is walked as soon as we get home. She is also inside wit us all evening. Personally i think it's doable to leave a dog on their own for the full day as in the evening you look after them and they spend time with you in the evening.

ive no problem getting up early to walk him before work. it would do me the world of good too!
    Id have him indoors in evening too, wouldnt leave him outside at night, he's not used to that.

Thanks for all the advice!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Maameeo my JRT has a pillow in her kennell, it's its raining she'll
    Just stay in there and she can close the door herself from the inside but always leaves it open enough so she can watch the birds in the trees :D if it's dry out, she'll take the pillow out and put it on her spot in the garden and chill out there. If its sunny, she and the pillow follow the sun :D and at 5pm she sits at the door waiting for me :D so cute and rewarding and like moving home said, routine is key!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Another option is to put a dog flap on the shed. that way the dog can get in and out but your can still lock your shed and keep any valuables safe.

If you do use the shed I would recommend that you make sure that anything valuable is placed well out of reach. Its no fun coming home to find out that the cable on your electric lawn mower or bicycle tyre has been chewed. :)

• Advertisement

Inexile wrote: »
    Another option is to put a dog flap on the shed. that way the dog can get in and out but your can still lock your shed and keep any valuables safe.

If you do use the shed I would recommend that you make sure that anything valuable is placed well out of reach. Its no fun coming home to find out that the cable on your electric lawn mower or bicycle tyre has been chewed. :)

see thats what i said to the other half, that my motorbike tires could be chewed off when i got home lol!
    kennel might be best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Maameeo, I have four JR's and they live in a barn out the back of the house. Inside the barn are several homemade dog kennels. I walk them and run them a couple of times a day.

If you can afford it it would be best to have more than one dog as it will be company for each other.

The four of them only cost about a tenner a week to feed - dry dog nuts with fresh cooked pig liver at night and for lunch a few biscuits. And of course any scraps. So for two it maybe cost 5 or six euro a week.

As for the digging that trait has been bred into them for various hunting activities which I won't go into as someone will give out about that. To stop the digging out I have tried many methods and putting paving slabs is about the best. They will however start digging elsewhere.

rsole1 wrote: »
    Maameeo, I have four JR's and they live in a barn out the back of the house. Inside the barn are several homemade dog kennels. I walk them and run them a couple of times a day.

If you can afford it it would be best to have more than one dog as it will be company for each other.

The four of them only cost about a tenner a week to feed - dry dog nuts with fresh cooked pig liver at night and for lunch a few biscuits. And of course any scraps. So for two it maybe cost 5 or six euro a week.

As for the digging that trait has been bred into them for various hunting activities which I won't go into as someone will give out about that. To stop the digging out I have tried many methods and putting paving slabs is about the best. They will however start digging elsewhere.

Thanks. id love to have more then one but id be pushing it with one as we arnt supposed to have animals (we're renting) but my friend has a jack russell too and she visits a lot with her so if i did take him id make sure he had play dates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Doggies can be cheeky chappies alright. I always knacker my dog with a a tennis racket and tennisball - that way the ball goes further. 20 minutes of that and he stops bringing the ball back to me for fear I will throw it again :)

Just to lighten the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ13Wcx4wjQ

Doggies can be cheeky chappies alright. I always knacker my dog with a a tennis racket and tennisball - that way the ball goes further. 20 minutes of that and he stops bringing the ball back to me for fear I will throw it again :)

Just to lighten the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ13Wcx4wjQ

omg! thats crazy! haha! such a clever lil dog! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi guys,

This is my sisters dog, hes a gorgeous mini jack russell who keeps digging under a fence in the back garden to escape through a neighbours side gate and run around to the front of my sisters house. hes doing it everyday sometimes twice a day! every time my sister gets someone to block up hole but he gets out again!

She has another dog, a female staff, she got out at start but she doesnt do it now since being given out to.

my sisters partner just went to oz a few weeks ago and the dogs started this after he left. My poor sister is at wits end and is talking about selling him as she cant handle it anymore.
    Is there anything i can do to stop him digging under the fence?
    id love to take him off her but i work full time, wouldnt it be cruel leaving a dog out the back all day while in work?

i love him to bits and really dont want her to get rid of him :(
    i know its not his fault, i think he just misses his other owner but my sister misses him so much she cant think straight.

I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give me! thanks :)
    your poor little mite is bored out of its tree, small dogs love height to be able to see around outside its boundaries, try to put something up away from boundary, that the dog can climb up to get a good look out, they are nosy, i have three, they are up on back of couch looking out window most days, even though they have fine beds, they will go for hight, try something like that, and make your little dogs day more exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Get her to get cheap heavy patio slabs and place them all along the fence line.

That's exactly what I did to stop my mini JRT escaping under my fence. It didn't seem to matter how much I walked her, and she had 5 other dogs for company but it seemed like far away hills were greener so once she discovered how to get out it became an obsession. Patio slabs put a halt to her gallop though!

walked him and the staff 5km last night, he has so much energy, he pulled me the whole way! loved it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Is bringing him inside not an option? If all else fails I think you should take him if you can, I'm sure the dog would prefer it and i doubt your sisters partner would be too pleased to come back and see his dog gone :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

<MOD SNIP - this has already been dealt with>

GL with the dog OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Op in fairness to your sister who has this little dog she prob doesnt have the time for him. Jacks although small are little tornado's full of energy:D the get very destructive when bored, i know have two of them my garden was like a mine field till we got a routine sorted!

:DYou seem to have fallen for him and I think you would be able to give him the human interaction and stimulation he needs. Best of luck x

Would love to see a pic also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

To be fair some dogs will dig to get out no matter what you do.
    My parents dog was down and never had any problems with her in 7 years.
    Last time she was down she dug under the fence and go out in the back field.
    She had access to 3/4 of an acre other dogs to play with, lots of attention/walkies etc. but nope she found an interesting spot in the garden and started digging. The wild rabbits hadn't helped by creating holes. Took a week to dig out weeds and back fill everything and use rocks etc. to block it off.
    My 3 dogs don't dig the fence line at all, don't think it's ever dawned on them. It's well fenced but between the wild rabbits and the break down of soil over time meant parents dog could get out and even after we back filled etc. she still went over to get out..pain in the a*se.

Advertisement