Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack russell digging to escape everyday!

Options
  • 21-11-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

This is my sisters dog, hes a gorgeous mini jack russell who keeps digging under a fence in the back garden to escape through a neighbours side gate and run around to the front of my sisters house. hes doing it everyday sometimes twice a day! every time my sister gets someone to block up hole but he gets out again!

She has another dog, a female staff, she got out at start but she doesnt do it now since being given out to.

my sisters partner just went to oz a few weeks ago and the dogs started this after he left. My poor sister is at wits end and is talking about selling him as she cant handle it anymore.

Is there anything i can do to stop him digging under the fence?
    id love to take him off her but i work full time, wouldnt it be cruel leaving a dog out the back all day while in work?

i love him to bits and really dont want her to get rid of him :(
    i know its not his fault, i think he just misses his other owner but my sister misses him so much she cant think straight.

I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give me! thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it always the same location? What if you put some concrete or other solid material in the hole? Talk to a vet and see if hter eis chamical that can be used to make digging along the fence line undesireable.

What if you habitually bring the dog to the front garden to remove the mystique.

When I was young we had three Jack Russels and two of them were obsessed with escaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

the dog is having seperation anxiety issues. is it being walked regularly? if its knackered it wont have the same motivation to dig/escape. can she not keep it indoors as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

she cant really do anything with the fance, it belongs to the house to the back of her house. she rents and so does that house so the landlords arnt interested.
    so getting cement and new fence etc just isnt plausible :(

he gets walked but not as much as when he other half was here. my sis doesnt have time with the baby and all.

ill tell her to ask the vet about that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

maameeo wrote: »
    she cant really do anything with the fance, it belongs to the house to the back of her house. she rents and so does that house so the landlords arnt interested.
    so getting cement and new fence etc just isnt plausible :(

he gets walked but not as much as when he other half was here. my sis doesnt have time with the baby and all.

ill tell her to ask the vet about that thanks

But a few concrete blocks put down wouldn't be changing the fence. Depending on where se lives she could hire a dog walker.
    The dog is digging most likely out of boredom so looking at things to occupy him while he's out like stuffed kongs and if possible just not keeping him outside when she's not around to supervise him, could get a crate to keep him confined inside but he still needs walking or he'l find other ways to keep himself occupied!

thanks, think ill try wrangle the family to take turns walking him, it must be the boredom getting to him.

appreciate the advice guys.

Just wondering if it comes to it and she wants to get rid of him, would he be ok with me?
    i work full day monday, thurs and friday, half day tues and wed. ive a bigger back garden and id have more time for walks as my daughter is older. would it be cruel leaving him in the back for those 3 full days??
    ive never had a dog before because i worked full time and thought it wasnt fair onthe dog.

• Advertisement

Well seeing as your sister might decide to try *sell* the dog I would presume that he would be happier with you. It's not a TV, it's a bloody dog.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Well seeing as your sister might decide to try *sell* the dog I would presume that he would be happier with you. It's not a TV, it's a bloody dog.

thats a bit unfair, you have no idea what shes going through mentally and she has little or no money. she'd sell him yes, if she had to but she would make sure its going to a good owner.

i was asking about a dog being ok while im in work, not your opinion on my sister, thanks.

thats a bit unfair, you have no idea what shes going through mentally and she has little or no money. she'd sell him yes, if she had to but she would make sure its going to a good owner.

i was asking about a dog being ok while im in work, not your opinion on my sister, thanks.

I could care less. Don't get the dog in the first place if it's that much hassle. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Maameeo I think he might be better off with you. Could you get a dog walker to come in for the 3 days that you work full time? This would break up the day for him and would keep him from getting bored.

I could care less. Don't get the dog in the first place if it's that much hassle. Disgusting.

you seem like someone just looking for an argument so im not going to give you that pleasure but i will say how rude you are to presume you know whats going on in someones life, obviously life was better for them when the got the dogs. i presume you dont know of hardship, struggle and depression. probably some rich person who has no cares in the world (not nice when someone presumes something about you is it?)

anyone got real advice please?

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »
    Maameeo I think he might be better off with you. Could you get a dog walker to come in for the 3 days that you work full time? This would break up the day for him and would keep him from getting bored.

hi thanks, any idea how much they cost? with my hours cut in work im struggling a bit myself, wouldnt even be thinking of taking him only for he's a tiny little thing, not too expensive food wise! :)

you seem like someone just looking for an argument so im not going to give you that pleasure but i will say how rude you are to presume you know whats going on in someones life, obviously life was better for them when the got the dogs. i presume you dont know of hardship, struggle and depression. probably some rich person who has no cares in the world (not nice when someone presumes something about you is it?)

anyone got real advice please?

A dog is a member of the family. If you just want something fun and fluffy until you're bored of it then buy a stuffed bear. If you have such disregard for a dog i.e. passing it around like it has no feelings, here's some real advice: STOP GETTING PETS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

hi thanks, any idea how much they cost? with my hours cut in work im struggling a bit myself, wouldnt even be thinking of taking him only for he's a tiny little thing, not too expensive food wise! :)

If you start a post with your general location then someone on here should be able to recommend a few walkers for you. Then just get a quote from them and see how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

A dog is a member of the family. If you just want something fun and fluffy until you're bored of it then buy a stuffed bear. If you have such disregard for a dog i.e. passing it around like it has no feelings, here's some real advice: STOP GETTING PETS.

I suggest you calm slightly before posting again, being rude is not tolerated in this forum. There's no point having that tone/attitude towards someone who is looking to try and fix a situation because that's just not helpful.
    Please do not reply to this post, if you wish to speak regarding my post, please PM me/one of the other mods.

oh cop on, you call it a member of the family and then you call it a pet, which is it?

people have to let go of there dogs for many different reasons, it happens all the time.
    why dont you put your energy into fighting real evils against animals, there are horrible things happening to animals that i cant bare to think of and your giving out to me for caring about a dog i love and looking for advice, seriously cop on!

Toulouse wrote: »
    If you start a post with your general location then someone on here should be able to recommend a few walkers for you. Then just get a quote from them and see how it works out.

Thanks, i appreciate that. ill look into it. :)

would love to hear from other people who work and have dogs at home and how the deal with it?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I have a 5 year old JRT. I only got her 3 months ago and I work full time. She's out all day on her own. Gets fed in the morning, a walk as soon as I get home from work regardless of weather and it suits her down to the ground. She's used to it. So no problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Thanks, i appreciate that. ill look into it. :)

would love to hear from other people who work and have dogs at home and how the deal with it?

Maameeo, don't worry about the criticism; it's clear from your posts that you are very concerned about this little dog and trying to do your best for him. I thought the laying of blocks along the fence line was a good idea, as it wouldn't damage the fence and would probably solve the problem. If that doesn't work, I think that you should consider taking him; the key thing will be your three days of full-time work, although on the bright side, he wll not be alone for four full days each week!
    If you can get someone to walk him on the days that you are working that would obviously be best. If you can't, I think that you will need to be sure to walk him yourself - both before and after your workday, if possible. If you can't manage two walks, perhaps consider playing games in the back garden once a day as well as bringing him for one walk - if he likes playing fetch or tugging toys, these would provide him with some exercise, and he would get a lot done in twenty minutes. Also, try to leave him things to keep him occupied while you are out - chew toys and a kong filled with food would be good, but perhaps others can suggest things that will stop him from getting bored.

ChewChew wrote: »
    I have a 5 year old JRT. I only got her 3 months ago and I work full time. She's out all day on her own. Gets fed in the morning, a walk as soon as I get home from work regardless of weather and it suits her down to the ground. She's used to it. So no problems here.

Thanks chewchew!
    Do you think because hes not used to it, it will take him awhile to settle? im actually getting excited at the thought of having him, hes such a bubbly little thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just a wee tip regarding the digging. I've heard it recommended to get a sandpit and bury some treats in it. This will satisfy the dog's urge to dig, redirect it to a more appropriate place, and reward it for digging in the right place. Plus if you bury a well-stuffed Kong or another long-lasting chew it'll serve to keep him out of trouble for a while too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Btw Rojo's attitude is all too common on this forum. People do their best to look after ther pets but if he's not eating the finest foods, being brought 20 miles a day and snuggling nicely by your fire, you get a mouth full of abuse.

THEY ARE ANIMALS. Yes they deserve to be treated with love and respect but there's a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I would agree that you should look to be walking him before and after work.

What is your garden like, what would happen if he began digging up your garden? How long of a walk would you be able to give him? How many hours would he be alone for?

It really would not be fair for you to take him only to have to give him away in few months for the same issue. I don't think your sister should keep him if she cannot walk him enough but if you are not absolutlely sure it will work out with you then give him to someone who can look after him.

It would not be fair to the dog to keep getting moved around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Get her to get cheap heavy patio slabs and place them all along the fence line.
    Before doing that block up all the holes with well compacted soil, then get those flower bed dividers..the metal ones that you push into the ground, push them well in they are only about 8 inches high but it will create a barrier. Then pop the slabs up against it.
    Give the dog more to do as well.

If all else fails if a section of the garden has patio/tarmac/concrete on it then get a dog run and place it on the hard surface.

Another option could be to dig a big trench, bury strong wire underneath then refill with concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Btw Rojo's attitude is all too common on this forum. People do their best to look after ther pets but if he's not eating the finest foods, being brought 20 miles a day and snuggling nicely by your fire, you get a mouth full of abuse.

THEY ARE ANIMALS. Yes they deserve to be treated with love and respect but there's a line.

Their posts have been addressed already by myself - you do not need to continue it. There is nothing helpful to the OP's situation in your post.
    Again, do not reply to this message, if you / anyone has issue, PM me or one of the other mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

he's probably bored make sure there are toys in the garden, also did you think about getting a sandbox for him to play in cause he can dig in this also make sure he gets plenty of walks, maybe try walking him in the morning instead of the evening.

Thanks for all the advice.
    I would walk before and after work, id have no problem with that at all. my back garden is twice the size of the one he is in now and walled. there is a small gap between the shed and wall which would have to be blocked before he came.

hard to tell how long he'd be alone from day to day. i leave at 7.30am and im back by 6.30pm but my other half might leave at 9 and could be back at 4 depending on work. thats just 3 days a week. im back by half 1 two of the days and the other two are weekend, lots of time to play! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can buy little bags of cement from the hardware to help block up holes in the wall saves you buying a big bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Thanks for all the advice.
    I would walk before and after work, id have no problem with that at all. my back garden is twice the size of the one he is in now and walled. there is a small gap between the shed and wall which would have to be blocked before he came.

hard to tell how long he'd be alone from day to day. i leave at 7.30am and im back by 6.30pm but my other half might leave at 9 and could be back at 4 depending on work. thats just 3 days a week. im back by half 1 two of the days and the other two are weekend, lots of time to play! :)

To be honest, that doesn't sound too bad at all. When both of you are out, and the dog is in the back garden, will there be shelter for him? He'll need a warm kennel, or maybe a sheltered spot in the shed with bedding.

You can buy little bags of cement from the hardware to help block up holes in the wall saves you buying a big bag.

Thanks, didnt know that!
    Jelly2 wrote: »
    To be honest, that doesn't sound too bad at all. When both of you are out, and the dog is in the back garden, will there be shelter for him? He'll need a warm kennel, or maybe a shelterd spot in the shed with bedding.

yea i think id get him a kennel, would feel like im locking him away if i put him in the shed, at least in kennel he could go walk around the garden.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Garden size isn't really important to be honest because the dog will likely pick a favourite spot and spend their outside time relaxing there anyway. The fact you can walk the dog before and after work is much more important and is great. The days he is alone for so long, you might consider a longer morning walk to tire him out and a few extra toys. Be careful of him barking and annoying the neighbours when you are out. Maybe knock in and explain the situation and ask them to let you know if there are any issues.

Advertisement