Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Infastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kentuckyfriedchicken2022

We were talking about getting to and from Clones versus Belfast, correct? - your question asking if I’ve been to casement before was in response to my point about travelling to and from Belfast versus clones, correct? I think I’m very much staying on topic.

If my past attendance at casement is so important to the discussion, the answer is no I have not been to casement on match day before. I look forward to attending in future however. Having been to Clones on Match day and to belfast for other events, I know which one I’d choose for ease of travel to and from major events.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It is not Belfast in general whch would be the destination but Casement in particular. Any public transport options I can find from towns like Omagh and Armagh to Casement involve going to Belfast city centre and travelling back out again, they are also double the time of going direct. Those services are also limited, like one every hour and 50 seater coaches some of which will be taken by general passengers. That is a drop in the ocean for tens of thousands travelling to a game. Undoubtedly there would be many chartered buses much like Clones, but Clones has space available for these buses to drop people within walking distance of the stadium and they sit there until everyone comes back. How Casement would handle this is far more relevant than comparing public transport in Belfast and Clones.

Croker is much closer to Dublin's centre than Casement is to Belfast's. Croker has lots of parking for conferences and the like, unlike Casement which would have none. I seriously wonder if you have actually been to either stadium.

And my point was that there is unlikely to be any money from this stadium to distribute, it will likely need every penny to cover its own costs like PUC.

Your first paragraph here is simply not accurate. Yes, like going to croker or pairc hi chaoimh or Pearse stadium, you travel via public transit to the city (which may I add from the likes of Omagh or Armagh is a very regular service to and from Belfast) to and from from your town/village and then as you put it ‘travel back out again’ - in casements case you get off at europa bus station and hop on either the glider (which is two min walk up great Victoria street) which operates similar to the luas in Dublin or Ulsterbus metro bus which will take you to Casement. Again nonsense re: how the services are limited. The Glider and Metro buses operates multiple times per hour each way plus as I’ve mentioned above travelling to and from belfast has loads of services to and from the major towns across ulster.

Again not true, The new casement will also have its own car park just like croker / clones.

And yes I have been to Croker and indeed Clones many times, just not Casement.

Post edited by kentuckyfriedchicken2022 on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,135 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So how come Casement gets snarled up like everywhere else? The road in cannot cope, is why and they are proposing bring even more people. I have sat in traffic many times and was there the day the game was delayed by a hold up on the motorway.

Everywhere has the same issues, Croker even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Hopefully Heather Humpreys backs up statments like below and clone gets upgraded

https://www.northernsound.ie/news/local-minister-heather-humphreys-says-clones-is-the-place-for-the-ulster-final-195399

• Registered Users Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The road in cannot cope, is why and they are proposing bring even more people

The new capacity will be an extra 3000. Its not a lot when you are talking 30k+ events

Not much she can do really

There is plenty she can do. She has already managed to get clones a couple of 100k. I am sure she could pressure the dept of sport for a few million to upgrade the stadium. If she was in higher role after the cabinet reshuffle when FG take there turn in government she would be will able to make things happen. She is bascailly a Healy Rea of monaghan just look at the funds monaghan got for local roads. Clones is central in ulster and a great place to watch a game for various reasons. Not everything has to be in a city

Taking Omagh as an example, the public transport recommendation I get is bus 273. From Omagh, it has departures on a Sunday at 1130 and 1300 with the latter only getting you to Casement for 1530. So capacity for no more than 100 Tyrone supporters to get to Casement by 1530 or <50 if throw in is earlier. The timetable is here so we can get away from the irrelevantly general "Belfast has loads of services to and from the major towns across Ulster" as most of those services are no relevance for an USFC game on a Sunday afternoon;

Similar story from Letterkenny, Cavan, Monaghan and Armagh, none of which have rail connections. And Glider "operates similar to the luas" is another very broad statement which ignores the reality of the situation. Glider vehicles only carry 106 passengers, even the shorter Luas Red Line trams can carry >350 each. Even if you doubled Gliders current highest frequency (which probably isnt possible due to lack of segragation from general traffic and lack of vehicles), Glider would need two hours just to bring 10% of the Casement capacity. It is a relatively low capacity transport system and not suitable for large crowds arriving/leaving at the same time. The vast majority of people would use other methods, the same methods they use to get to Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What villages in Ulster have a bus on a Sunday? Cullyhanna? Fintona? Derrylin? Swatragh? Iniskeen?

• Advertisement

Very selective look at what I was saying, from the translink website there are 13 different times on a Sunday you can get the 273 from Omagh to Belfast, not least the numerous connecting services I have not counted on the 261 or 212 you can get alternatively. I expect once Casement reopens them to adjust the timetable to cater for demand at specific times of the year (Ulster SFs, Finals, Concerts), extra services/services adjusted to cater for the events taking place in Belfast over the weekend and as they do for major events happening both in Belfast and Dublin, concerts at Boucher/Aviva/Croker, rugby at Ravenhill/Aviva.

There are Buses from Letterkenny, Cavan, Monaghan and Armagh.

Again with the Glider, as I have mentioned, they can increase frequency of services on matchday as they do with the Metro buses in Belfast for major events like rugby, concerts.

For the ones you've mentioned, on a Sunday, the 44 and 238 connecting buses for Cullyhanna, the 87 and 273 from Fintona, the 30 and 261 from Derrylin, 116a & b and 212 or 218 from Swatragh, Iniskeen the only one with no services on a Sunday. All above options getting you to Belfast within 2-3hrs or thereabouts. (I would myself go to a town bus station/park and ride instead for the bus as they're normally way quicker/direct but at least the options there for the villages you have named, apart from Iniskeen).

Apologies I was using Google Maps Public transit info, Translink mustn't have updated its timetable info on Google maps. They must have recently removed the Sunday services - my point is still valid though for Monday-Saturday.

My original point is also still valid and factually correct, Belfast is way easier to get to via public or private transport from across Ulster when compared to Clones. All of the major towns across Ulster have regular bus services to Belfast. There's also rail options for some towns. Not least mentioning the public transit options you have when you reach Belfast, namely in the metro Buses and the Glider BRT.

If you ask for a Sunday bus it offers you Monday 8am i.e. the school bus.

You are correct in the general point about some transport from some places to Belfast. But the importance of this can be overstated. Likewise roads and parking will always be congested, the best situation in when the two teams are approaching from different sides. So Armagh and Donegal next Sunday in Clones is not so bad as they are coming from different sides. DOwn and Derry in Casement might be approaching from different sides, but Tyrone v Armagh are all passing through Sprucefield.

There are not 13 different departures for the 273 from Omagh to Belfast on a Sunday, there are 5. That timetable shows both from 12 Jun 2022 and until 5 Jun 2022 which are what the 5 and 6 in Restrictions columns indicate, plus the first and last service of the day is curtailed. And people tend to want to be in a stadium before a game starts, so looking at departures across the day is irrelevant. Only those which could have people there a reasonable time (i.e. not too early and not too late) are relevant, which is one or two buses. You literally have to be selective on this, nobody is going to take a bus which is timetabled to get into Belfast close to or after throw in, plus with match traffic there would be congestion on approach to Belfast which would make a regional bus and Glider combo less reliable and unattractive.

Public Service Operators would not put on additional services for events unless they were paid to do so, which is unlikely, not least because those type of services are not suitable for events. The majority of buses will be commercial charters from local operators which go direct and as close as possible to the venue. This works really well with Clones as there is space for them to park within walking distance of the stadium and people get to enjoy the atmosphere in the town. In my experience, for matches many of those charters are paid for by pubs who want people there before/after the game so are free to the user. Nobody is going to pay for a standard scheduled bus as part of a multi-legged journey which will take a lot longer

Gliders current highest frequency is every 8 minutes. Maybe it is possible to go beyond that but there are limitiations for it due to lack of segregation and number of vehicles owned. Like I said, even doubling the frequency (which may not be possible) could only transport about 1700 people per hour, a paltry amount. Glider to Casement would only be attractive to people starting their journey in central Belfast, which is just as well because it is a system which cant handle huge crowds looking to arrive and depart a venue in a short space of time.

You clearly havent a clue about any of this so I'll leave it there. We'll see what happens with the Casement redevelopment but I cant see the UK government making £100m available for it. The GAA also dont want to be saddled with another large stadium which can barely pay its way, they have already been burned with PUC. Casement is just a vanity project for some in the Ulster Council.

Again, apologies, was going off information on Google Maps public transit - Translink must not have updated their info on Google Maps.

You clearly don't have a clue about any of this because Translink have and do put on extra services for events in the city - see Ulster Rugby games, Boucher Rd concerts etc, I expect similar for Casement once it opens using both their Metro and Glider services. "those type of services are not suitable for events" - how are bus services to and from the likes of ravenhill/boucher road for UR/Concerts not similarly suitable for the likes of Casement lol? These services work just fine for these events.

The redevelopment of Casement is part of the Regional Stadia Programme, an NI Executive project that needs to be completed so the remaining shortfall likely will be funded by the UK Government/NI Executive. Again not true, the GAA clearly do want this project to proceed as has been stated by several of their officials across Ulster and wider nationally (& in several press releases), so you're again, talking nonsense.

Nothing wrong with wanting a modern, fit for purpose stadium for our national games, in our second city, with the majority of it being funded by the UK Gov as part of a Government programme that was open to the three major sports. Whatever about your gripe with some in the Ulster Council lol

So the local TD is looking to get the Minister for Sport involved with Clones

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2022/06/07/clones-and-casement-could-rotate-ulster-final-suggests-smyth/

Anyone know why a section of the terrace was closed off in Thurles on Sunday. There was a weird corner closed for all the games in Limerick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I notice this also in all ireland finals if you look at hill 16 there is a section on the lower right side that is empty, i wonder could it be for people who are injured etc to have a free area to treat them or somethin?

I imagine its something to do with health & safety.

Terracing in Irish GAA stadiums for some reason have been reduced in capacity in recent years. You never see them as packed as you do say in rugby.

Gaelic Grounds in Limerick used to hold 49,500 but recently that number is 44,600 or so. Similar with Semple stadium. I dont think they fill the terraces as tight as they used to unfortunately!

• Advertisement

I understand how over time the capacity gets lowered as the health and safety standards overtake the old stadia but Thurles was wedged and we had an empty area in one terrace.

Also it's only on one side so what happens on the other terrace if someone is hurt. I know Lansdowne has a few vertigo seats reserved so maybe this is some sort of area for people having difficulty of some sort as you say.

I didnt realise it was a seperate terrace from the rest with no link. Strange one

My understanding is that determining factors for stand capacity are ability to escape and number of toilets, not situation on the terrace itself. Basically, if you haven't got enough gates and jacks, you have to have less people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah they lowered the capacity in the Gaelic Grounds when some idiot decided to put the Stanchions of the Floodlights inside the terrace. I remember the Mayo v Kerry All Ireland final and you could have easily and safely fit another 5 ,000 on the terraces. The same in Thurles. They probably need to section off areas more to get the capacity back up. Even Cusack Park in Ennis this year v Limerick...I had tonnes of room all around. If its to do with the amount of toilets and exits then Cusack Parks capacity should be about 500 because the toilets are non existent or unhygenic portaloos.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The 2008 Munster final is the only time i think the Gaelic Grounds' terraces were properly packed. I want to go back to this full again!

Tipperary vs Clare Munster Hurling Final 2008 - YouTube

The floodlights were put inside the terrace because the residents complained. The same crowd who couldn't give a sht that there had been floodlights in Thomond Park shining on houses in Balla for years.

Money talks.

2014 came close except around the base of those stupid floodlights.

Not looking good for Navan at the moment. Its wonder they dont break the project down in to 4 smaller projects with each stand being built over the next 10 years or even just built one stand an the rest terrace

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/we-are-not-in-a-position-to-move-the-project-any-further-meaths-pairc-tailteann-revamp-on-hold-due-to-costs-41755625.html

Can't understand why all stadia of this style are not built bit by bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That's what Meath County board were trying to do. The plan was to build 1 new stand and then move on to the other parts, but things have now gotten so expensive that it's impossible to even build that 1 stand without bankrupting ourselves.

Advertisement