Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biker wave

Options
  • 20-11-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I just checked to see and the most recent thread on this was a few years back.
    I just got my bike and went on a spin yesterday, I'm aware of the biker wave? here though?
    I only passed a few bikes coming the other way and I'm sure they both nodded at me, one was a very slight nod so he could have been stretching, I gave an equally slight nod, all at low speed.
    Another was a guy going fairly fast, he either gave a very noticeable nod (right side back to centre) or was doing something completely different?

I read a good book called Uneasy rider, and there was a part in it about the biker wave/left handed salutes in europe and right foot extended here? or maybe it is a nod??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depends on where your riding. I don't bother in Dublin especially during rush hour. There are so many bikes my neck and arms would be sore from waving like a moron all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

The nod is fine. I only raise my left hand to thank a motorist to the rear of me that has pulled over a bit to let me overtake safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Thats what I was thinking regarding waving and getting sore arm/looking like a bit of an enthusiastic spanner :), my spin was off outside the city, I didnt consider it in the city, looking out for other stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I mostly nod. Don't usually wave unless I'm on an open road with no cars close. I think most people in Dublin nod or kick out a foot slightly. I travel in and out of the city too each day and I nod at times to other bikers but as Cuddlesworth said it would be too sore to nod at every biker you pass :)

I did notice though that when I was up North the bikers there are more animated with their greetings which is nice too.

I'll play it by ear so, as Im new to the whole thing, just thought Id be better to know from the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056200768

Here's the last tread. Not that long ago :-)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056200768

Here's the last tread. Not that long ago :-)

I thought I had seen a more recent one, but when i searched the one that came the top of the list was '07, I didnt use the advanced search though.

Reading through that other thread now, it may answer this but, I think Id be more comfortable with a head nod or a leg shake, than a wave, while Im new to biking (not been on bikes before this year bar a honda 50 for a few days on holidays) Im not completely uncomfortable with the idea of taking my hands off the bars (I do), but at speed Id be less inclined to, so
    the leg shake,
    just kick the right leg out? shake it all about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I give a wave if during the day and on a good road. Otherwise it's a nod.

Never tried or would try the leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Down the country (Ennis) I would wave / nod to all bikers more so that I would more than likely know them. In Dublin I would only wave / nod to bikers on the same bike as I would be on, ie Classic GSXR 750 or Bros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭gipi

It's just a friendly acknowledgement - whether it be head, wave, leg, it doesn't matter!

Was out today, met loads of bikers who gave a nod or wave - it's a great feeling, to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Never tried or would try the leg.

The leg was fairly common with courier's here in Dublin during the 90's when there were literally hundreds of courier's riding about.

I've given a wave or nod to bikers from all modes of transport.

If I see a biker in my door mirror while he/she is filtering I'll always give a nod to let them know I see 'em and move the car slightly to the left if I can - its almost always acknowledged.

so literally just stick the leg out straight?
    I'll probably need to be paying more attention to whats going on on the road at this stage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I find myself going to give the wave while walking down the street if a bike goes by.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I find myself going to give the wave while walking down the street if a bike goes by.

I work on the door of a bar at the weekends, but would call it a biker bar.

But its a rock & metal bar, anyway there's usually a few bikes outside and you'd be surprised at how many bikers would drive past and give a blow on the horn, a rev up or a big wave.

Its good ol' craic and they always get a big acknowledgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

The leg wave is great craic once your out of the city! First time someone did it to me I broke my sh1t laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I also nod but as someone says not in the morning commute, there are too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

A guy overtook me on my Ninja 250R a couple of weeks ago, on a good but fairly remote road. I have to admit, as a challenge to myself I tried to keep the pace up so he wouldn't want to overtake me. He kinda stuck his left leg out just as he passed me.

I didn't think it was a gesture at the time... I thought he was a bit being a bit of an ass...i.e., his overtaking was so casual and easy for him that he'd make use of his relax time by stretching!

Maybe he was being friendly!

Anyway, have to say, I find it much much easier to raise a left hand than anything else. Altho, maybe that'd change with a much heavier bike...

rat_race wrote: »
    A guy overtook me on my Ninja 250R a couple of weeks ago

lol, seriously?...

I kid.

If I want to acknowledge someone I've overtaken it'll be either a swing of the leg or left my clutch fingers.. So I'd just take it as a friendly gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I work on the door of a bar at the weekends, but would call it a biker bar.

But its a rock & metal bar, anyway there's usually a few bikes outside and you'd be surprised at how many bikers would drive past and give a blow on the horn, a rev up or a big wave.

Its good ol' craic and they always get a big acknowledgement.
    The odd little burnout or whatever outside a biker bar also.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    The odd little burnout or whatever outside a biker bar also.

Feck that, even wheelies are too expensive to pull off these days.

God be with the days I cared little for chain's, sprockets or tires!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Feck that, even wheelies are too expensive to pull off these days.

God be with the days I cared little for chain's, sprockets or tires!.
    Yeah that's true. When I get mine back ill stick with a nod. Price of petrol isn't good if I want to rev going passed a biker bar. One rev probably cost about a fiver lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

He was. No doubt. :)

I wave, nod, salute, stick out the leg...whatever comes to me at the time. Once I gave two thumbs up! LOL. Some wave back, some don't, I don't care. I do it anyway. It's a nice cameraderie thing that bikers have going on and I like it. It's nice to be nice. ;)

A guy overtook me on my Ninja 250R a couple of weeks ago, on a good but fairly remote road. I have to admit, as a challenge to myself I tried to keep the pace up so he wouldn't want to overtake me. He kinda stuck his left leg out just as he passed me.

I didn't think it was a gesture at the time... I thought he was a bit being a bit of an ass...i.e., his overtaking was so casual and easy for him that he'd make use of his relax time by stretching!

Anyway, have to say, I find it much much easier to raise a left hand than anything else. Altho, maybe that'd change with a much heavier bike...
    Yeah, that was defo a wave. I always do it when overtaking, or when someone overtakes me.
    The only time I see waves in the city if overtaking. sometimes someone is moving fast and you move in to let them by, always get a wave there.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

hahaha!! thats gas dude!
    I kinda have a funny vision of it all in my mind.

He is saying hello and your all like .. yah well fu with your leg stretching! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Paparazzo wrote: »
    yeah, my daughter slags me off 'cos I nod at bikes when I am in the car. Just a habit now.

MrP

There's also the petrol station wave. If you're filling up and you hear bikes coming, you always get a wave.

Could you imagine the carnage if a ride out gave a Mexican wave :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Could you imagine the carnage if a ride out gave a Mexican wave :D

PMSL!!!! :D

Advertisement