Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very sudden incident with family dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

OP contacted me, I have offered to take the dog IF he can be neutered before coming here as funds are low.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

EGAR wrote: »
    OP contacted me, I have offered to take the dog IF he can be neutered before coming here as funds are low.

Well done Sarah.

Ive removed the request for donations as we cant allow one rescue to receive requests for donations over the other rescues that post on boards.

As a matter of fact and as per the rules Rescues are not allowed to post in a rescue related manner at all.

However I will suggest that if anyone wants to donate to Egar or offer help with transport/neutering costs etc then please do so by pm.Im sure Sarah will happily give the donations address to users that pm her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Dogs name is max :-)
    I txted Sarah asking her wat the situation is. I can't ring her the battery is about to go on my fecking phone and won't be home till early in the morning.

I'm just still unsure weather this will all be able to be sorted before end 2morrw going to have to find out wat whole situation is because I no if my brothers home Wednesday nothing I do or say to my mother will keep the dog there any longer weather or not all this is in place she ain't gonna have him there with my brother in same house and there is no were else I can bring him.

I'm just trying to get my head around everything that's going on I mean a couple of hours ago I assumed I was bringing my dog to get put down 2morrw now it seems u have all changed this and please don't think I sound ungreatful because I'm not its just its all been very sudden how things have happened and changed so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

A similar issue happened with me recently. I was out running and a dog bit me, deep cut and i was bleeding for quite some time. The owner saw the whole incident happen and was horrified. Tetanus jab, painkillers and antibiotics all required (still have the scar as a reminder)

You only have one option, and you wont like it.
    The dog has to go, imagine if it was a stranger who pressed to sue you (which they can do) or god forbid a child/baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Dogs name is max :-)
    I txted Sarah asking her wat the situation is. I can't ring her the battery is about to go on my fecking phone and won't be home till early in the morning.

I'm just still unsure weather this will all be able to be sorted before end 2morrw going to have to find out wat whole situation is because I no if my brothers home Wednesday nothing I do or say to my mother will keep the dog there any longer weather or not all this is in place she ain't gonna have him there with my brother in same house and there is no were else I can bring him.

I'm just trying to get my head around everything that's going on I mean a couple of hours ago I assumed I was bringing my dog to get put down 2morrw now it seems u have all changed this and please don't think I sound ungreatful because I'm not its just its all been very sudden how things have happened and changed so quick

Chill OP, things are taking shape. Ring EGAR in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive already made it clear that if any more offers need doing then they need to be done via pm.
    So to put it bluntly if you want to offer a donation,transport help,neutering help it needs to be done via private message ONLY.

I and the other mods will be removing further posts with any of these offers in it.And will take further action if users dont abide by these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry mods ; I need to work out how to PM & bat going :0 sorry!!!

mhge wrote: »
    Chill OP, things are taking shape. Ring EGAR in the morning.

Ill get in touch in the morning so. I just dont want everyones efforts to go to waste thats all.

Alright so im just waiting for EGAR to get back in contact with me i rang her a while ago and no answer so she must be busy with something and i dont want to be wrecking her head over this.

The situation is still the same my brother should still be home 2morrw providing nothing else goes wrong in the hospital and i need the dog out of the house by then weather hes going to the rescue or weather that falls threw and i have to have him put down.

A woman on here has been kind enough to get in touch with me and offer me an option of the dog being given a lift at a time that shes free if everything is still going to plan and i cant thank her enough for this.

Everyone has been great on here since i posted and i cant get over it because end of the day none of u personally know me i could be anyone really :pac:

So thank u all so much no matter what happens with Max by the end of today i wont forget all this :)

So other then that i have no idea at the moment what is going on so i have nothing else i can add. If anyone happens to have any news or updates with the rescue situation please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Hope all goes well for you today.Couldn't imagine being put in the same situation with my own dog.

• Advertisement

Following the thread has made me wonder if OPs dog has a Rage Syndrome. It has been witnessed in cocker spaniels, mainly in the solid colours but from talking to my dog trainer and dog behaviourist friends as well as taking emails and phone calls for the rescue I volunteer for golden retrievers seem to be becoming more aggressive. Bad breeding/puppy farms are resulting in lines of retrievers with rage issues, OPs dog would seem to me that he could fit the profile. It's more likely in male dogs between the age of 1 and 2. I could be completely wrong but that's what its looking like to me.

I never taught of that in depth to be honest i slightly crossed my mind but i have no idea weather it would be the cause or not hard to know.

All i know is i bought this dog from a decent breeder who had the parents there and were both seen i have his papers and his father was a champion dog everything seemed to be coming from the right place. But again i dunno.

The dog seems fine to me hes his usual self right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Belle K

Hi there. I posted yesterday but for some reason my post was deleted??? What I wanted to say, is that I think the best decision you can make is to sign the dog over to a rescue centre. From my reading of this situation, nobody actually saw what happened. Unfortunately, Max doesn't have a voice so the only story we have to go on is your little brothers. O.K. Max should not have done what he done, but, maybe he was provoked! You said that when your bro dropped the ice cream, he didn't want Max "to have it straight away". Why was this??? Was he teasing the dog?? He must also still be in shock so might not be remembering exactly what happened! Good luck to Max and your brother:)

Belle K wrote: »
    Hi there. I posted yesterday but for some reason my post was deleted??? What I wanted to say, is that I think the best decision you can make is to sign the dog over to a rescue centre. From my reading of this situation, nobody actually saw what happened. Unfortunately, Max doesn't have a voice so the only story we have to go on is your little brothers. O.K. Max should not have done what he done, but, maybe he was provoked! You said that when your bro dropped the ice cream, he didn't want Max "to have it straight away". Why was this??? Was he teasing the dog?? He must also still be in shock so might not be remembering exactly what happened! Good luck to Max and your brother:)

I think i remember your post from yesterday just never got chance to reply.

He didnt want dog to have it yet as he wanted to give it to him himself. You know what kids are like he just wanted the dog to lick the cone because we have done that with him before and he loved doing it the dog that is.

So me brother picked it up again. I have a fairly good idea from talking to me brother and me ma and da what happened and most of it makes perfect sense from my experience and understanding of the dog and being with him all the time.

I imagine he cornered me brother and would not let him out of the room and me brother probley tried to push his way past the dog or something similar to this and the dog jumped on him.

Something caused the dog to bite my brother and catch him with his paws so there must of been a coming together from both of them when they both went for the ice cream.

He didnt provoke him in any bad way and i no he didnt he never did mess around with the dog in that way we warned him not to and i no from what me brothers like that he never treated dog that way anyway he loved the dog as well.

They were always a bit messy together as the dog saw me brother as the smallest and easyest one in the pack and me brother would defense this by shouting at the dog and trying to push him away if he did anything to him *Nip his feet etc*

This pretty much stopped altogether in last few months and dog hardly gave me brother any bother and treated him pretty much same as treated rest the family so this is why i assumed everything was fine and dog had just grown out of the messing and learned from the rest of us not to do what he was doing.

He should of been trained together with my brother to show both of them how they should be treating each other but he wasnt and thats my familys fault due to different situations.

Its not all as simple as dog bit child cause dog is violent or cause child provoked him.

No update on anything at the moment still in same position and i cant get in touch with EGAR left a message and thats all i can do for now.

Brother will be home at around 2pm 2morrw so i have until then otherwise ill have to bring him to the vet. I have no one who can take him for a while at this stage id give the dog to anyone who would want to look after him because its such a waste just giving up on this animal hes perfect and is no harm to anyone if he is in the right environment.

Will you please relax and wait for the phonecall?? I told you I have sorted transport. I am VERY busy, I can't answer the phone every 5 minutes.

EGAR wrote: »
    Will you please relax and wait for the phonecall?? I told you I have sorted transport. I am VERY busy, I can't answer the phone every 5 minutes.

Apart from u telling me you had transport ready i have or had no idea what was going on. I know your busy thats why i wasnt wrecking ur head with calls or anything .

Surely you cant blame me for wanting to know what was going on when i knew very little.I had to have some idea what i was doing tonight/2morrw.

Anyway its sorted now so no worrys thank you for arranging something.

Oh great news. Max is going to the rescue so:) They are fantastic people and he will be happy and hopefully they will be able to train him properly.

Great news for Max and a wise decision OP.:)

O0000oops: so sorry Egar. I'm all stressing and only sent you a text 5 mins ago before reading this again. I'll sit back and be quiet and wait til I'm contacted if needed. Fair dues to you for helping this guy and his poor dog out. That's some Christmas Present.

Could the two people who have donated for Max please contact me via PM, thank you.

OP has changed his mind. Max will not be coming to EGAR.

Ok let me first just thank everyone for the advice and for the help in everything thats went on here.

It was arranged that dog be brought down to Galway in the morning and at first i was kinda accepting it.

Just something is at back of my mind bothering me about the whole thing so i have had to cancel it i dont feel its right.

My father just spoke to the breeder of the dog who has been honest and tried to help us with everything since first day when we brought dog home.

He explained everything to her and she told him it was not right to have that dog rehomed or put anywhere else and that only right thing to do would have him put to sleep.

Of course i dont want this this is last thing i wanted.

She has had no other problems with any of her other dogs and thinks there must be something going on that he would do that much damage to a child for very little.

I know i could probley of kept the dog here and things would of been fine once there where no kids around but i cant take that chance and i cant take that chance with anyone else or anywhere else either.

I have been told by more then one person who knows what there talking about that dog is not safe to be around childen and that its very fishy that he would attack someone so seriously out of the blue like that.

I cant send the dog to anyone and ive made the choice that im going to have to have him put to sleep. I dont want this and i hate having to do it but i feel its the only fair thing for the dog and for anyone else.

I really just want him to be at peace and not spend rest his life being sent from one place to another and maybe more hassle and trouble coming from whatever problems he may have down the line.

Im sorry if what im deciding is messing anyone around i never meant for that to happen and i hope everyone understands how greatful i am for the help and well wishs everybody has offered me since this thread started.

I dont want everyone to agree with what im doing or appluad me or anything im not looking for any thanks or anything from this id be happy for this to be last comment in the thread if it meant any bad would come from my choice.

If i have put anyone out i am sorry i just feel sending the dog to anyone is no longer the right choice for the dog or his future carers.

Ill forever have it over me that i had to put Max down because he was not just my dog but my friend he never did me any harm and ive nothing but good memorys of my time with him but i feel this is all i can do for him at this stage and its best thing for everyone including the dog.

Again im sorry if i have caused hassle or problems for anyone.

• Advertisement

Am I reading right?? Max not going to EGAR?? Why not. thought twas all arrange and everythin. what happening so? Did OP find someone to keep him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, I know this whole thing can't have easy for you at all from start to finish. If the decision has been now, you know that it hasn't been made lightly and you have done the best you could. At this stage I suggest you turn your computer off and spend what time you have left with Max and I wish you luck with what has yet to come. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Would ye stop! OP made a decision and to be honest it sounds to be like the family had more to do with this decision than he did. 25 year old living at home,around the same age as me and I know if I was in the same situation despite what I wanted to do I don't think I would have the final say in the matter.

The dog seriously injured an 11 year old child and generally would be put to sleep <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

OP there is something very wrong going on here. Do you actually have the dog or are you just playing games online?

A well recognised rescue has offered you their help in rehabilitating the dog. This has happened before and dogs redeemed themselves. As you tell more about the accident it becomes more obvious that there were more factors at play and it cannot be blamed on the dog entirely. You have no idea what happened in that room and you have not conditioned the dog around children properly in the first place. You don't need a trainer for this it's basic knowledge to show the dog who's the boss and teach him to only pick up food when he is specifically told to.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I suggest we all leave OP be. He has agonised over this for days and I'm sure is very upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Very sad but you did what you felt had to be done. I know that if my dog did the same unprovoked I would have to make the same decision despite how much it would break my heart. Wish you all the best OP and that your brother has a makes a quick recovery.

OP
    Thank you for your update. We are all so sorry for the position you are in. Our thoughts are with you this night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

OP you are doing the right thing! You cant take a chance on the dog doing this again. He could have a number of things wrong with him.

You are making a huge sacrifice for the safety of others and your dog.
    I know its tough but you have made a very adult and difficult decision and that's something you should be proud of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

One person has been banned, to everyone else who wants to post abuse - it's up to you if you want to join that person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

RIP Max. How terribly sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement