Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very sudden incident with family dog

Options
  • 20-11-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭

Im still trying to get my head around this i cant believe what happened i am just glad i wasnt in the house at the time.

My Golden Retriever dog whos nearly 2 years old bit my 11 year old brother last night. Wasnt small bite either brothers lucky its not more serious. He is in hospital since last night and needs surgery and skin crafts done on his left arm and shoulders.

The dog has never had a violent streak in him he is a family pet and is looked after and always treated well. Ill admit he had a bit of a thing for my little brother since we got him he did tend to be always at him nipping at his legs arms so on but last few months he had pretty much grown out of it.

According to my ma what happened was my brother was going out to the dog in the small room at back the house he sleeps in to give him the end of an ice cream cone.

He dropped it on the floor by mistake and went to pick it up and the dog jumped on him pinned him to the floor only for my older brother heard him screaming help god only knows what could of happend. The dog had to be pulled off my brother.

Im waiting for the dspca offices to open so i can call them as i guess only option is now for him to be put down.

Im heart broken over this dog was like a friend to me and i really dont understand what made him do this or why he would just snap all of a sudden.

Very confused at this stage wish there was a way i could fix all of this as my brother will be scared and traumatised for rest of his life when it comes to dogs and im losing a pet i taught was my friend.

Just goes to show u really can never tell whats going on in an animals head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Im still trying to get my head around this i cant believe what happened i am just glad i wasnt in the house at the time.

My Golden Retriever dog whos nearly 2 years old bit my 11 year old brother last night. Wasnt small bite either brothers lucky its not more serious. He is in hospital since last night and needs surgery and skin crafts done on his left arm and shoulders.

The dog has never had a violent streak in him he is a family pet and is looked after and always treated well. Ill admit he had a bit of a thing for my little brother since we got him he did tend to be always at him nipping at his legs arms so on but last few months he had pretty much grown out of it.

According to my ma what happened was my brother was going out to the dog in the small room at back the house he sleeps in to give him the end of an ice cream cone.

He dropped it on the floor by mistake and went to pick it up and the dog jumped on him pinned him to the floor only for my older brother heard him screaming help god only knows what could of happend. The dog had to be pulled off my brother.

Im waiting for the dspca offices to open so i can call them as i guess only option is now for him to be put down.

Im heart broken over this dog was like a friend to me and i really dont understand what made him do this or why he would just snap all of a sudden.

Very confused at this stage wish there was a way i could fix all of this as my brother will be scared and traumatised for rest of his life when it comes to dogs and im losing a pet i taught was my friend.

Just goes to show u really can never tell whats going on in an animals head.

Sorry to hear your story. The dog is jealous of your brother and that's how dogs react. He will have to be put to sleep or re-homed where there are no children as he will do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

:( Makes no sense dog is just asleep out back garden now like nothing happened.

Trying to get in touch with this crowd now phones still off saying in an emergency ring your local cops im not doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd assume that the dog has never been trained to relinquish food, so when your brother went to pick up the dropped cone he was taking that the dog considered his, and he was reacting to a perceived threat to his food source (resource guarding).

This kind of problem can be improved with training, but I can completely understand your decision to have him put to sleep.

kylith wrote: »
    I'd assume that the dog has never been trained to relinquish food, so when your brother went to pick up the dropped cone he was taking that the dog considered his, and he was reacting to a perceived threat to his food source (resource guarding).

This kind of problem can be improved with training, but I can completely understand your decision to have him put to sleep.

Its not really my choice to do it my mothers my brother said he wont come home till dog is gone and everyone and anyone in the hospital and so on is telling her he should be put down.

Its crazy because i have dropped food a million times in front of him and he never jumps for it i was only saying it to someone the other day its mad hes one of the few dogs ive ever seen who never really goes mad over stuff like that.

Its cause of it being my brother he has always kinda took advantage of him being smaller and so on. We were going to get the dog trainer with my brother but we decided must of just been his age because he grew out of it the two of them have been much much better together the last few months. There was no signs at all of anything like this ever happening the dog never showed any signs of being violent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Sorry to hear what happened. I had a Lassie collie and much the same thing happened, it was jealousy but I didn't kill the dog. A friend knew what had happened and had an aunt in another town who loved the Lassie breed and wanted my dog. We decided that it might be best to go this route and i'm happy to say that 2 years on, there's been no problems at all with the new owner and the dog. Also like to mention that the owner lives on her own, so no children or other people. The dog was 3 years when given to the new owner, hope that's of some help.

• Advertisement

headmaster wrote: »
    Sorry to hear what happened. I had a Lassie collie and much the same thing happened, it was jealousy but I didn't kill the dog. A friend knew what had happened and had an aunt in another town who loved the Lassie breed and wanted my dog. We decided that it might be best to go this route and i'm happy to say that 2 years on, there's been no problems at all with the new owner and the dog. Also like to mention that the owner lives on her own, so no children or other people. The dog was 3 years when given to the new owner, hope that's of some help.

Like i said i dont want the dog put down because maybe its something that can be fixed with another owner or a trainer its just very serious as its not a chance you can take with a strong animal that could snap with another child or maybe even adult.

I am going to ring local garda station ask them for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Its not really my choice to do it my mothers my brother said he wont come home till dog is gone and everyone and anyone in the hospital and so on is telling her he should be put down.

Its crazy because i have dropped food a million times in front of him and he never jumps for it i was only saying it to someone the other day its mad hes one of the few dogs ive ever seen who never really goes mad over stuff like that.

Its cause of it being my brother he has always kinda took advantage of him being smaller and so on. We were going to get the dog trainer with my brother but we decided must of just been his age because he grew out of it the two of them have been much much better together the last few months. There was no signs at all of anything like this ever happening the dog never showed any signs of being violent.
    Dogs know who they can push it with and who they can't. I know it's not the same thing, but one of my dogs refused to do anything for my ex, she had no respect for him, wouldn't come when he called, wouldn't go for a walk with him, nothing. Unfortunately if there were no witnesses to what happened you'll never know for sure what happened; it could be that your brother unintentionally did something that wound the dog up, it could be that the dog knew your brother was nervous of him.

It would have been good if you'd gotten the trainer in with your brother and the dog so that the dog would learn to listen to him and respect him, but there's no point in dwelling on it now. Hopefully you'll be able to find a rescue to take him and find a suitable home for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Very sorry to hear that you must be heartbroken:( Could you give him to a rescue place to re-home with an older family maybe? I can totally understand your family wanting him put to sleep but it seems such a waste of a young dog's life.

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that you must be heartbroken:( Could you give him to a rescue place to re-home with an older family maybe? I can totally understand your family wanting him put to sleep but it seems such a waste of a young dog's life.

I just got off the phone to the local police station he gave me 3 phone numbers the dspca are all closed so all i can do is call down to one of them.

He gave me number dog warden as well which i am going to ring now.
    The cop himself told me the dog should be put down as its what should be done in this situation if he has done serious harm to a child.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can I suggest that you put a post in the re-homing thread in this forum stating that the dog requires an owner with extensive experience of behaviour problems. I'm also going to PM you some contact details (if I can find them) for someone who may be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I just got off the phone to the local police station he gave me 3 phone numbers the dspca are all closed so all i can do is call down to one of them.

The cop himself told me the dog should be put down as its what should be done in this situation if he has done serious harm to a child.

If you give the dog to the warden there's a more than 90% chance it will be killed. This will not be the wardens fault. Please give it to the animal shelter and tell them exactly what happened, they might find a new owner and will have dealt with the situation before.

Can I suggest that you put a post in the re-homing thread in this forum stating that the dog requires an owner with extensive experience of behaviour problems. I'm also going to PM you some contact details (if I can find them) for someone who may be able to help you.

Whatever happens needs to be done in next few hours. I have no choice at this stage but id rather he was taken by someone else who could look after him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I've sent you a PM, I would advise ringing the number as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems.

I'm not an expert but if the dog had a history of nipping at your brother this is assertive behaviour that a senior member of the dog pack does to inferior members of the dog pack. The chances are your dog has always had the view that he's higher up the pecking order than your brother and that his assertion of this was latent.

The superior dog will have dibs on food over the inferior pack member. Your poor brother (inferior pack member) offers food, then tries to reclaim it. The dog asserts himself, viciously by all accounts and here we are. Your brother crossed a line in the eyes of the dog. I wouldn't have that dog around children and I'd be reticent about keeping it alive unless it could go to a home with an experienced owner with no one the dog could see as weaker around.

I'd love to be able to give you a solution but if it were me in that situation I would only have one choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

I am so sorry to hear about your brother,and hope he makes a full and fast recovery.
    As other posters have suggested, please consider rehoming the dog instead of having him put to sleep.
    My little dog is the most gentle soul you could wish to meet, but when it comes to us going near her food when she is eating, she will on occasion growl.
    This is a very sad situation and I hope the outcome is a good one for all concerned.
    Best wishes to you all.

Sorry, I forgot to include the link, I've sent it now! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Contact an animal shelter and explain that the dog can be rehomed to where there are no children and adults are experienced with dogs. I wouldn't be afraid to take him if I didn't have my fellas already.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

I am going to ring local garda station ask them for advice.

Sorry for your troubles op. I don't think the guards will have much to offer. You probably already know the answer yourself the dog must go.
    Ring the dspca first thing tomorrow as there service is limited at the weekend. Keep the dog out in his room for the night away from people.
    Hope the brother is not to badly hurt. It's always sad to hear stories like this just hope the dog can get another good home. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

The cops have to say that really. Where are you based? There is dog's trust and dogs aid on the northside who I'm sure would take him off you. Anyway good luck it's a very hard decision to make and I hope this doesn't put your brother off all dogs :(

I have rang at least 5 or 6 places now and cant get threw to anyone only person i could find who answered phone was a number from the ucd vet clinic. They told me to ring vet clinic for dspca but there not taking calls either.

I mean at this stage what do i do???

I need to get this sorted in next few hours. I am living in Rathcoole by the way.

• Advertisement

Are you leaving voice messages for people to call you back urgently? If you can't get anything sorted today you could try leaving the dog in local kennels overnight.

Ok just got off phone to me ma me brother wont be home for a few days so i can bring the dog to the vet in the morning and sort it proper.

Brother has 3 or 4 bad marks and bites on him from the dog. His forearm his shoulders and the palm of his hand which the doctors are saying is the most dangarous because of the tendons and so on.

Ill deal with it in the morning and do my best to sort the situation out whats best for the dog. I no what happened is very serious and at end of the day its an animal my brother comes first and he better be ok but i still dont want dog to be put down if there is a chance something can be done with him.

He is not a all out violent animal but there is deffo a problem there with younger kids if this is how he reacts and you cant take those risks no matter how nice of a dog it is.

You may want to search for a Golden Retriever specific rescue, I've seen a link posted here a while ago but can't find it at the moment.

A vet won't be able to help you with finding the dog a home (and shouldn't in this case, I don't think). Send an e-mail to the place I PM'd you with your phone number and you should be able to get someone to answer the phone in the morning if they don't contact you first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

My sister had some problem with a smaller dog before, she tried to go to the pound and animal shelters. They said they will not rehome a dog that has bitten before, dog had to be put to sleep in the end. Really sucks but you cant put people at risk, I know some animal lovers here will disagree but I love animals and it just has to be done sometimes.
    I hope your brother is ok and I feel sorry for the poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

So sorry to here about your dog :(

ASH animal rescue operate a strict no kill policy, You could try there?

deisedave wrote: »
    My sister had some problem with a smaller dog before, she tried to go to the pound and animal shelters. They said they will not rehome a dog that has bitten before, dog had to be put to sleep in the end. Really sucks but you cant put people at risk, I know some animal lovers here will disagree but I love animals and it just has to be done sometimes.
    I hope your brother is ok and I feel sorry for the poor dog.

I am not sure, a couple of years ago my friend got a dog from a rescue when it was made clear to them that the dog has bitten a child before and was only rehomed on a strict no children policy. The child, however, was apparently taunting him so perhaps it is different; you however had known issues before so it's not entirely out of the blue either. The couple were also recommended to see a dog trainer (with contact details and a discount via the rescue) but in the end the dog turned out fine and has never had any issues again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mhge wrote: »

I am not sure, a couple of years ago my friend got a dog from a rescue when it was made clear to them that the dog has bitten a child before and was only rehomed on a strict no children policy. The child, however, was apparently taunting him so perhaps it is different; you however had known issues before so it's not entirely out of the blue either. The couple were also recommended to see a dog trainer (with contact details and a discount via the rescue) but in the end the dog turned out fine and has never had any issues again.

I know of a dog that bit a child in the family (the kids were wild let alone the dog!) and it was sent back to the rescue - he was up on the rescue's site a week later for rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Ddad wrote: »
    I'm really sorry to hear about your problems.

I'm not an expert but if the dog had a history of nipping at your brother this is assertive behaviour that a senior member of the dog pack does to inferior members of the dog pack. The chances are your dog has always had the view that he's higher up the pecking order than your brother and that his assertion of this was latent.

The superior dog will have dibs on food over the inferior pack member. Your poor brother (inferior pack member) offers food, then tries to reclaim it. The dog asserts himself, viciously by all accounts and here we are. Your brother crossed a line in the eyes of the dog. I wouldn't have that dog around children and I'd be reticent about keeping it alive unless it could go to a home with an experienced owner with no one the dog could see as weaker around.

I'd love to be able to give you a solution but if it were me in that situation I would only have one choice.

I agree 100%. It would be highly in appropriate to have this dog rehomed.
    Could you live with yourself it attacked a young child and baby. I am a dog lover myself and I always make sure that the dogs I keep know their
    place in the pack. Little things like eating meals before them, having the
    kids give them orders, correcting any nipping, growling at the kids with
    a firm slap. I have two pups are the moment and every few days the kids
    feed them and run their hands through the food as they are eating.
    A little bit of supervised rough play by the kids goes a long way.
    They are super with the kids.
    Early this year we had to get rid of a bitch we had because she never took
    to the new baby and snapped at him one day when he walked over to her.
    It was not worth taking the chance..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

hi - sent you a pm - hope its of some use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement