Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL library extension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

mayo_lad wrote: »
    that;s a I don't know but they are making inprovments in genral and it will depend on the pay back time to wheather the windows are replaced :P is that good enough for you

Constant G .

Tis actually :) Surprising isn't it? Reason I asked is that remember that weekend a few years back when they closed down the entire campus? They got a grant and they replaced all of the lightbulbs on campus with energy efficient ones and sensors!!

I was wondering would they qualify for something similar these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

reunion wrote: »
    you must be so surprised sid

I'd say alot of his comments could also make the top of the list too.

Everyone with UL has their first choice is from the limerick area, I am not surprised. How could more than one comment make the top of the list. It's a list of single items.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Everyone with UL has their first choice is from the limerick area, I am not surprised. How could more than one comment make the top of the list. It's a list of single items.
    I'm actually from Co. Cork :p

didn't get the points for ucc? tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

From Laois myself. For the record had TCD, NUIG, and others on my CAO. UL was there for the first three though. Funny how you seem to make a lot of assumptions and yet criticise others for doing so.

• Advertisement

Laois, jaysus, that's a rough auld place. Nearly as bad as Carlow.

didn't get the points for ucc? tragic.

No, UL was my only option... all 3 of my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Laois, jaysus, that's a rough auld place. Nearly as bad as Carlow.
    4/10, trolling needs to have more subtlety and style.

Nockz wrote: »
    No, UL was my only option... all 3 of my options.

what course are you doing CS?

what course are you doing CS?
    What possible difference could that make?

• Advertisement

Just wondering. Defensive are we?

Just wondering. Defensive are we?
    I just fail to see how your drivel relates to the library ;)

Well if you're doing CS you don't really need to use the library too often.

Well if you're doing CS you don't really need to use the library too often.
    Oh, if only that were the case Sid. How little you know, eh? There are recommended texts ordered for the library for just about all of the modules I have taken.

Every course has recommended texts.

What happens is a lecturer writes a book, or his friend writes a book and he puts it on the recommended reading list. This forces the library to buy copies and for students to get copies. This makes the little circle jerk of academic publishing go around like perpetual motion.

I recommend you don't buy any text books, use ebooks (you have access to legitimate copies through a number of sources). Someone doing CS shouldn't be reading too much text books, just get the gist off wikipedia and the lecture notes and learn how to programme and organise a database and you're laughing.None of this theory nonsense, this isn't trinity.

Every course has recommended texts.

What happens is a lecturer writes a book, or his friend writes a book and he puts it on the recommended reading list. This forces the library to buy copies and for students to get copies. This makes the little circle jerk of academic publishing go around like perpetual motion.

I recommend you don't buy any text books, use ebooks (you have access to legitimate copies through a number of sources). Someone doing CS shouldn't be reading too much text books, just get the gist off wikipedia and the lecture notes and learn how to programme and organise a database and you're laughing.None of this theory nonsense, this isn't trinity.
    Why do you assume I'm doing CS? What a laugh you are tonight.

Applies to all courses.

Applies to all courses.
    So we don't even need the library at all? Ebooks are the answer? Ok buddy.

If every department had its own building, and every building had it's only reading rooms and computer rooms, students who have their own books and resources could use them. Students should be encouraged to study in small groups and learn socially rather than sitting in the library on their tobbler.

however, there is always a time and place for getting real books, a quite well lit spot and doing a review of the literature in the library.

If each individual department could accommodate its students for study purposes we wouldn't need a bigger library. Alas, most departments can't, or won't, therefore we need a bigger library.

Where as 50 years ago books were a highly sought after commodity, as was information, in the current day and age of information overload, it's important to have access to current literature 24-7.

There aren't many latest editions in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

So essentially you chose UL because it was convenient to attend and it was cheap. You should write the marketing brochures for the college

"Come to UL, where the beer is cheap, the women are easy, and you'll get a job earning 25k with your degree"

no sid, that isnt what i said at all but dont worry, we're used to your cheap shots after someone proves you wrong.
    Ill leave my case there, you made issues about the funding, i proved you wrong so now your throwing your toys out of the palm again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

If every department had its own building, and every building had it's only reading rooms and computer rooms, students who have their own books and resources could use them. Students should be encouraged to study in small groups and learn socially rather than sitting in the library on their tobbler.

however, there is always a time and place for getting real books, a quite well lit spot and doing a review of the literature in the library.

If each individual department could accommodate its students for study purposes we wouldn't need a bigger library. Alas, most departments can't, or won't, therefore we need a bigger library.

Where as 50 years ago books were a highly sought after commodity, as was information, in the current day and age of information overload, it's important to have access to current literature 24-7.

There aren't many latest editions in the library.

There would be over lap between department along with each department hiring more staff to cater for a smaller collection and the nightmare for students to get books from different departments.

Students can request books they want and the library can get them for you (via interlibrary loan or purchasing a new one). Each department (and some lecturers) have a budget in the library to purchase books, if you really need a book try asking the librarian or a lecturer about the possibility of ordering a book. Having the latest edition mightn't be worth it since most editions don't change much.

Also in that age of information overload you may have passed out this

Did you actually read my post.

I said reading room, not library. I said students could use their own books there, not more library books. No need for "department hiring more staff to cater for a smaller collection and the nightmare for students to get books from different departments.". I never said multiple libraries, read the post please and don't jump to erroneous conclusions.

Why are you linking to the library proxy? What relevance is it to the discussion?

Stop replying to my posts posting stuff that's just wrong please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

it's important to have access to current literature 24-7.

Try that link for current literature, particularly any journal article or paper (which is literature).

Obviously I need to flesh this out for reunion who doesn't understand. The point I am making is that library books, that are 4/5/6+ years out of date are not the resources used for education in this day and age. What is more important, is access to online literature, ebooks and current up to date material. What the college needs to offer is more computer rooms, more rooms you can bring your laptop to, better journals and better online libraries.

I am acutely aware of the library proxy which allows students to access journals that the university has subscription to.

You only need to use the proxy if you're off campus.

The college needs to vastly improve its online library, it's got a very poor ebook collection, not non-existent, but not great.
    Try that link for current literature, particularly any journal article or paper (which is literature)

Reunion demonstrates his vast ignorance ones again as he implies this sweet link will give you access to any journal article or paper. Shows how mayn times he's actually used the service, as there are millions of journals not subscribed to by the UL library.

This is just an example of you not having an actual clue what's being discussed but you're trying to argue against my points just for something to do. Stop wasting both our time, your points are invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

As you asked a lot of people I ask you what are you studying in UL Sid?

Life, studying life man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Life, studying life man.

That sounds like a made-up course

On topic
    It sad to see the funding for this has fallen through but what can you expect in this day and age It would be nice because the extension would over double the size of it. I can't remember the figures but I told every single first year during orientation :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

With the exception of people who live in Castletroy, get their washing done by their mother, get their dinners cooked by their mother and get lifts into town off their daddies I'd be surprised if there was anyone in UL who had UL as their first preference on their CAO.

I am sorry but for someone who is preaching about the needs of students and the universities failure to provide said facilities, this is one of the most ignorant and uneducated statements I have ever heard. I am from Limerick , I choose UL because it has the best Mechanical Engineering Course in this country bar none. I am also entirely self supporting and am in no way "mammied" , if you feel you are entitled to present online the opinions you feel are those student population then perhaps you shouldn't be making such ignorant comments about a large proportion of the student population.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

With the exception of people who live in Castletroy, get their washing done by their mother, get their dinners cooked by their mother and get lifts into town off their daddies I'd be surprised if there was anyone in UL who had UL as their first preference on their CAO.
    UL was my first choice, and I am none of the above. It has one of the country's best campuses, if not the best, (and yes, I did check the campuses in the other universities) and co-op is a great scheme.

You constantly give out about people making presumptions about you, so don't make presumptions about other people. Why the hell did you come to UL if it's so bad?

On another note, the library extension being overtaken by the sport's pitches I feel is a more ocmplicated matter. I believe it has more to do with planning. At the end of the day, we don't have the worst library, but it would have been nice to get an extension...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Obviously I need to flesh this out for reunion who doesn't understand. The point I am making is that library books, that are 4/5/6+ years out of date are not the resources used for education in this day and age. What is more important, is access to online literature, ebooks and current up to date material. What the college needs to offer is more computer rooms, more rooms you can bring your laptop to, better journals and better online libraries.

I am acutely aware of the library proxy which allows students to access journals that the university has subscription to.

You only need to use the proxy if you're off campus.

The college needs to vastly improve its online library, it's got a very poor ebook collection, not non-existent, but not great.

Reunion demonstrates his vast ignorance ones again as he implies this sweet link will give you access to any journal article or paper. Shows how mayn times he's actually used the service, as there are millions of journals not subscribed to by the UL library.

This is just an example of you not having an actual clue what's being discussed but you're trying to argue against my points just for something to do. Stop wasting both our time, your points are invalid.

On another point regarding textbooks . Id be very interested about what field your studies are in ? . Most textbooks stay nearly identical throughout their various revisions and as such it would be an unnecessary burden on the University to purchase new revisions of books which are effectively the same as the previous versions. As many posters have made clear the latest and most up to date information in academic fields tends to be in Journals and Papers.

Advertisement