Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Jerseys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Alphonso

Sorry to hear that pal, I didn't want to point out those spelling errors in your post for fear of offending you but if you're willing to admit them yourself, then that's a wonderful first step. However I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, this is the internet and spelling mistakes are generally forgiven, save for the odd pedant.

But getting back to your original point my reply stands 21.gif

I do admire your delusion and commend you for expressing it. Rock on.

Note to self - also doesn't understand the meaning/use of quotations. Won't use again so.
    Glad to read you're a student of psychoanalysis. Do expand, or do you only deal in wum-liner replies, alá "Analyse This"?
    Pity you're not able to engage in the debate though, but do carry on lurking like a good lad.

Good man Al - although I don't agree with everything said, there's only one man says it like yourself!! :D

And don't worry about the goading - best ignored!! ;)

But Rufus, is that it? No opinions, no points? We used to have such lovely arguments. Has the fire really gone out?;)

Or yknow, you could just post the pictures up 'n' stuff

A7AoBciCIAALHKj.jpg:large

A7A8avtCUAE54uO.jpg:large

A far better effort than the previous, thats quite nice, well done O'Neills.

Pity it's not the Derry kit, then we could sing, "They've got a Mr. Tayto slim-fit county jacket, my ma says they cost a packet!" (apologies to The Undertones, and to packets of Tayto)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

Clareman wrote: »
    Multi-national companies are usually very very strict with how their brand is transmitted, font, placement, angle, background, all that is very important, once in work I used the company logo and brought it to the front of a Powerpoint presentation on top of a picture, I got a stern warning not to do so again along with details on how exactly the logo was to be used.

I'm not a fan of the Tyrone jersey, I don't know why O'Neills insist on copying Aididas' 3 stripes, I don't like the blue GAA, surely they could have it the same colour as the number, finally, don't like the whole logo background on the jersey, be better with just the brand name.

O'Neills use five stripes and not three! Well to everybody's eyes, mine included, it looks like three. There are really technically only three stripes. However, O'Neills insist that the two in the middle are counted as stripes. That is how they won their legal case many years ago when Adidas took a case against them for using the 'three' stripes design.

To me you cannot beat the stripes on the sleeves or collars. They are far nicer G.A.A. jersies.

I do not like the collarless jersies. The Hunky Dory Sponsorship on the Tyrone jersey looks terrible. Out of place. That Meath jersey is a nice design. Not gone on the sponsor either, though. Meath have changed their jersey alot over recent years. O'Neill's are nearly gone as bad as the soccer teams with the constant jersey changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭kksaints

Alphonso wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself/your team etc mate. If that's arrogance then we could do with more arrogance in this country.
    I think I explained my points in alot of detail, with plenty of reality thrown in along with an honest sense of what I believe matters. It's all about opinions. Your's differs, but you don't explain in what way, or in any detail whatsoever.
    Your response is to dismiss rather than discuss. If you want to discuss then respond to the points made and avoid generalised dismissals, based on....................what exactly? It takes courage to post your opinions and back them up.
    You obviously didn't really read my post properly either as the few things you did say I had addressed. I did also say that everyone, including me, are grateful for what we have. I assume that would have answered your "should be thankful" point?

And to repeat, nobody should kow-tow to any company, it's a business deal, a trade-off. Vodafone wouldn't be involved if it didn't suit them. And I think you don't understand the nature of markets - the Irish market is the Irish market, regardless of how big other markets abroad are, it's relative, and within that market Dublin GAA is a very desirable image. As is GAA generally. I clarified that point in my post, but you still came out with that comment. Did you read the post??
    Yours' hoping for a good debate, no more, no less.

Ok. You make 5 points in your previous post and I will go through them 1 by 1.

Your first point re Money and Sponsorship. Sponsorship is extremely important these days as a source of income for clubs and counties as you well know. Clubs and counties have to offer more these days for sponsors. Without Money and sponsorship clubs and counties will struggle and if you want to succeed nowadays the money that you have available the better chance you have even in an amateur sport such as the Gaa.

Second point re the logo. As im not a dub I had to look up the jersey to see what it looked like. Its not that bad and it isnt massively overpowering like some sponsor on jerseys. Coinciedently why do you not like the logo?

Third Point about the jersey. You say its not just a sponsor and a jersey but thats exactly what it is. If Dublin changed their colours while it would upset a lot of people how many players would pull out of the team because of it. Very few or none. Also you mention how Vodafone werent around in the 1970s to put things in perspective. You dont mention just how big Vodafone have become since they were founded in 1985. Its the third largest company on the London stock exchange worth around $90 billion. Its also the largest mobile network in Ireland. So in some senses even in Ireland Vodafone is bigger than Dublin Gaa. Also I dont think the changes that Dublin have made are that big either. They havent changed the team name to Vodafone Dublin or Vodafone Gaa unlike Red Bull. So Im not sure why you go on about sponsor making large changes. Thats a small change the sponsor on the jersey. If you want a big change look up Red Bull Salzburg and Cardiff City.

Fourth point is your own view and I have no problem with that.

Fifth point though is odd. As well as Dublin previous successes the reason that Dublin is so marketable is done to its population size. Even not counting the people who arent interested in Gaa, Dublin would still have one of the largest if not the largest fanbase in Ireland. But to expect a company the size of vodafone to change its appearance to suit the Dubs is simply odd. Also the bit I bolded is simply bizarre. If the Vodafone sponsorship was free then it might make sense but they are paying good money to sponsor the jerseys so why should they be thankful is the lack of reality bit. The arrogence is the first part of what you said about the prestigeous sporting and cultural images and how Vodafone should be thanking God almighty. The last sentence about standing tall and stuff is a bit more political then I care for. But I just think people dont realise how small Ireland is in the global scheme of things. Thats not a jibe at you btw.

Also the undertones. :mad::mad::mad::( After last Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

But Rufus, is that it? No opinions, no points? We used to have such lovely arguments. Has the fire really gone out?;)

Of course not - I had another post after that!! ;)

I blame old age!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Note to self - also doesn't understand the meaning/use of quotations. Won't use again so.
    Glad to read you're a student of psychoanalysis. Do expand, or do you only deal in wum-liner replies, alá "Analyse This"?
    Pity you're not able to engage in the debate though, but do carry on lurking like a good lad.
    FYI, when making a note to self, do it to self, not to the entire internet.

And you're right, I am a good lad.
    Pity it's not the Derry kit, then we could sing, "They've got a Mr. Tayto slim-fit county jacket, my ma says they cost a packet!" (apologies to The Undertones, and to packets of Tayto)
    Jesus:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tyrone jersey is beyond awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

keane2097 wrote: »
    Tyrone jersey is beyond awful.

It's shockingly awful TBH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Tyrone jersey is actually nice, its the size of the sponsor on it, far too big, what can ya do though.............

Any news on the Dublin jersey, id thought they would have had it launched by now, shocked if they dont release a new one

• Advertisement

Tyrone jersey is actually nice, its the size of the sponsor on it, far too big, what can ya do though.............

Any news on the Dublin jersey, id thought they would have had it launched by now, shocked if they dont release a new one
    There's a hold up, apparently Vodafone haven't spent enough time this year grovelling at the altar of Dublin GAA. Word on the street has it that another 4 weeks of flagelating themselves should be sufficient to allow them grace the geansaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's a hold up, apparently Vodafone haven't spent enough time this year grovelling at the altar of Dublin GAA. Word on the street has it that another 4 weeks of flagelating themselves should be sufficient to allow them grace the geansaí.

Give it a rest already.

3 years is quite a while for any county to go without a new jersey, particularly Dublin who seem to change almost every 2 years. At this rate they're pushing it if they are to release a new one, getting very close to christmas alright.

FYI, when making a note to self, do it to self, not to the entire internet.

And you're right, I am a good lad.

Simple Simon is it? Keep working on that plum

Jesus:rolleyes:

Noooooo..... nope, that's not him, he had long hair and a beard by all accounts. Reasonable effort, must do better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

unreal lads............................ bickering womens

An-ways I spoke to oneills directly and they are adamant that there has been no new deal brokered for a new jersey for Dublin as yet.........nothing currently in production

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your as humorous as...... em.... nope got nothing. You lack humor.

As an side i think Vodafone have enough worries on their plate presently with static growth and massive losses in many of its european divisions. It may not be a brand you want to be associated with next year.

kksaints wrote: »
    In that guys wildest fantasy yeah. I remember reading a quote by Ron Dennis who was principal of Mclaren F1 team and he said its unrealistic to expect the sponsor who is worth far more than the team to bow down before the team. Mclaren F1 would be worth a lot more than Dublin Gaa and F1 would be a lot bigger than the Gaa as well.

If this is a real debate (and I seriously doubt it given the pure wind-up type responses from some on here), then once again I make the point that comparing the sponsorship of a professional team in a world sport is not really the same as that of an amateur team in a national sport, is it?

The responsibilities and expectations are different. Once you are pro, you have to sell much more of your identity, that's the deal. Whilst the GAA depends more and more on sponsorship as regards the running of senior IC teams, and by extension the funding of facilities & games nationwide, it still remains the fact that the teams are not really paid for playing the games.
    Therefore, there is less responsibility to sell the identity (and yes, I know it's not as if it's the TOTAL identity, but the point remains), to alter the identity in a major way.

And saying that Ireland is a small market is besides the point, as Vodafone's/any company's market in Ireland is all that matters in terms of sponsorship in Ireland. That's called 'relative'.
    Within that market, the GAA is a huge brand, the biggest sporting organisation in the country. And within that, Dublin GAA is one of the biggest elements of the GAA brand, therefore they get a big sponsorship deal, and therefore also they have some clout as regards the marketing of the company using the county colours and logo.

And my point was really about GAA sponsorhip in general, though clearly within that Dublin GAA is relatively a major factor, just like Cork, KK, Kerry. So the emphasis of the WUMs here on Dublin GAA is making it a pointless/non-debate. As is always the WUM agenda.

We can talk about Leitrim GAA. Relative to their selling strength, they get their deal. If Leitrim people don't like the company logo they have as much right as any county to ask "are we selling/changing our image too much"?
    So in fact, it's the same for every county, relative to the deal they can get.
    I'm choosing to say that counties/teams should not just take this attitude, "you'll take what you're given. That's the old/(new recession) Irish loser mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 frojay

dcr22B wrote: »
    It's shockingly awful TBH

Not sure why they've emblazoned, 'The Red Hand County' on the back. That's more of a Southern tag attached to Tyrone in recent years, a few other counties have the red hand logo on their crest. It should really be the 'O'Neill County', or better yet, 'Team of the Decade'.

If this is a real debate (and I seriously doubt it given the pure wind-up type responses from some on here), then once again I make the point that comparing the sponsorship of a professional team in a world sport is not really the same as that of an amateur team in a national sport, is it?

The responsibilities and expectations are different. Once you are pro, you have to sell much more of your identity, that's the deal. Whilst the GAA depends more and more on sponsorship as regards the running of senior IC teams, and by extension the funding of facilities & games nationwide, it still remains the fact that the teams are not really paid for playing the games.
    Therefore, there is less responsibility to sell the identity (and yes, I know it's not as if it's the TOTAL identity, but the point remains), to alter the identity in a major way.

And saying that Ireland is a small market is besides the point, as Vodafone's/any company's market in Ireland is all that matters in terms of sponsorship in Ireland. That's called 'relative'.
    Within that market, the GAA is a huge brand, the biggest sporting organisation in the country. And within that, Dublin GAA is one of the biggest elements of the GAA brand, therefore they get a big sponsorship deal, and therefore also they have some clout as regards the marketing of the company using the county colours and logo.

And my point was really about GAA sponsorhip in general, though clearly within that Dublin GAA is relatively a major factor, just like Cork, KK, Kerry. So the emphasis of the WUMs here on Dublin GAA is making it a pointless/non-debate. As is always the WUM agenda.

We can talk about Leitrim GAA. Relative to their selling strength, they get their deal. If Leitrim people don't like the company logo they have as much right as any county to ask "are we selling/changing our image too much"?
    I'm choosing to say that counties/teams should not just take this attitude, "you'll take what you're given. That's the old/(new recession) Irish loser mentality.

The question is really are we being made a suitably massive amount to get over the non-issue of the fact that their logo is making our jersey a little bit less aesthetically pleasing.

I would contend that the massive upswing in Dublin's fortunes in both codes at all grades which owes a large debt of gratitude to their burgeoning finances goes most of the way to answering this question.

Ok. You make 5 points in your previous post and I will go through them 1 by 1.
    Your first point re Money and Sponsorship. Sponsorship is extremely important these days as a source of income for clubs and counties as you well know. Clubs and counties have to offer more these days for sponsors. Without Money and sponsorship clubs and counties will struggle and if you want to succeed nowadays the money that you have available the better chance you have even in an amateur sport such as the Gaa.
    Agree with everything you say there 100%. The type of stuff that I took for granted and assumed I wouldn't need to state the obvious here.
    Second point re the logo. As im not a dub I had to look up the jersey to see what it looked like. Its not that bad and it isnt massively overpowering like some sponsor on jerseys. Coinciedently why do you not like the logo?
    Well that's just opinion, we can agree to disagree. Who can account for taste? A large amount of the very strong colour red on a jersey that had virtually no red in its history is in my opinion a major and unsightly change/image.
    Coincidently, are you seriously saying, as I presume a GAA follower, that you hadn't seen the Dublin county jersey over the last 3 years? That you didn't watch any of the three Senior IC All-I semis and the All-I final (since Vodafone have the sponsorship), not to mention either the two league finals and the couple of U-21 All-I finals? Not even a few aul highlights? Not even the three All-I minor finals? Jaysus! Mind if I ask, how old are you? By the way, that's not a jibe at you.

Third Point about the jersey. You say its not just a sponsor and a jersey but thats exactly what it is. If Dublin changed their colours while it would upset a lot of people how many players would pull out of the team because of it. Very few or none. Also you mention how Vodafone werent around in the 1970s to put things in perspective. You dont mention just how big Vodafone have become since they were founded in 1985. Its the third largest company on the London stock exchange worth around $90 billion. Its also the largest mobile network in Ireland. So in some senses even in Ireland Vodafone is bigger than Dublin Gaa. Also I dont think the changes that Dublin have made are that big either. They havent changed the team name to Vodafone Dublin or Vodafone Gaa unlike Red Bull. So Im not sure why you go on about sponsor making large changes. Thats a small change the sponsor on the jersey. If you want a big change look up Red Bull Salzburg and Cardiff City.
    As I've said a couple of times in other posts, you can't compare pro, international sports to a national, amateur one. Now please don't make some point like "that proves even more that the sponsor is much more important". The point I'm making is that amateur teams have less responsibility to sponsors than pro teams.
    Now let's have a debate about that!

Fourth point is your own view and I have no problem with that.
    Fifth point though is odd. As well as Dublin previous successes the reason that Dublin is so marketable is done to its population size. Even not counting the people who arent interested in Gaa, Dublin would still have one of the largest if not the largest fanbase in Ireland. But to expect a company the size of vodafone to change its appearance to suit the Dubs is simply odd. Also the bit I bolded is simply bizarre. If the Vodafone sponsorship was free then it might make sense but they are paying good money to sponsor the jerseys so why should they be thankful is the lack of reality bit. The arrogence is the first part of what you said about the prestigeous sporting and cultural images and how Vodafone should be thanking God almighty. The last sentence about standing tall and stuff is a bit more political then I care for. But I just think people dont realise how small Ireland is in the global scheme of things. Thats not a jibe at you btw.
    Jaysus! I've already answered all of this. First of all, regarding arrogance, my tongue-in-cheek choice of language about Vodafone being grateful were in response to the comments by another poster, basically saying "you'll take what your given".
    The contradictory nature of that type of comment is clear to see. "It's business, the sponsor has to get what they paid for". Yet if it's business, why do the teams have to bow down and take it up the a***, do exactly what they're told, or whatever is inferred by comments like those of the posters who said "GAA should be thanking God" (did you miss that or only read my posts?)
    If it's business, then it's a fair deal, both parties get what they agreed out of it. It's what is agreed as regarding image is all that I'm talking about, I simply made the simple point that I don't like the logo/the amount of change it brought to the image.
    Again you're talking about the size of Vodafone etc, look this is the market they are in, the Irish market, what they are outside of Ireland is of no relevance. In fact, the size of the company per se is of no relevance, other than the fact that they can give the bigger deals.
    It's the size of the deal that's relevant, abd there is no argument that Dublin GAA got a big deal. And let's not keep going round in circles stating obvious facts, but you get a big deal if you have alot of costs, simple as. It's simply relevant to your costs, and to your marketability.
    I've said elsewhere that any county, any team, could make the same arguments about their own sponsor/image, if they didn't like the image. Why should any county just accept whatever is put on the jersey? The company are paying, and they are getting back great advertising and marketing.
    I am neither saying that the company should bow down, nor the team. But the point, the simple and only really relevant point is that I disagree with those who say the county/team should change their image too much or in an unattractive way just because they somehow supposedly should have no say, which is what some here seem to be saying.
    And the reason I made that point in the first place? I just don't like the Vodafone logo!
    So just to clarify, me saying Vodafone/any sponsors should be thankful because of the status of what they are paying for(and it is my opinion that the GAA images are of huge status in this country, I don't see how anyone coul;d argue otherwise?) is a response to those who said "Dublin should be thankful/should be thanking God almighty"
    Also the undertones. :mad::mad::mad::( After last Sunday
    Haven't a clue what that is, presume it was something in the news, I don't listen much these days, all bad news, negativity and people saying things like "you'll take what you're given"

By the way, you should be thanking god almighty for "the arrogance of the Dublin GAA", what else would you have to make fun of and entertain yourself with?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

frojay wrote: »
    Not sure why they've emblazoned, 'The Red Hand County' on the back. That's more of a Southern tag attached to Tyrone in recent years, a few other counties have the red hand logo on their crest. It should really be the 'O'Neill County', or better yet, 'Team of the Decade'.

My understanding is that Kerry already had that on their jersey!! ;)

• Advertisement

In monetary terms yes, but in my opinion Dublin GAA and the GAA Itself are worth many times more than the millionaires and billionaires that make up Formula 1, and I wouldn't mind guessing my view would be in the majority in Ireland.

Al is entitled to his point of view and it probably aspires to a situation gone by where the strength of the GAA was based firmly on the efforts of its members and volunteers, and was based on the commitment to the locality and the parish - entirely laudible.

However the reality is that GAA itself has become big business and in that reality the use of sponsors such as Vodafone have become very important to the GAA itself. They and their logos are here to stay. And the fact that a '$90 billion dollar company' such as Vodafone have paid for one of the most lucrative jersey deals in Irish sporting history would suggest that they too recognise the prestige of the Dublin GAA jersey.

Fair enough Rufus, but I'm not as naive as that man! Of course sponsors are here to stay, they've been here since about 1990.
    I just think that there's never any harm in keeping them on their toes, when it appears that they are gaining more control

The question is really are we being made a suitably massive amount to get over the non-issue of the fact that their logo is making our jersey a little bit less aesthetically pleasing.

I would contend that the massive upswing in Dublin's fortunes in both codes at all grades which owes a large debt of gratitude to their burgeoning finances goes most of the way to answering this question.

Fair points, but I don't agree with your emphasis on the finances being the source of the upswing. The upswing had started well before Vodafone got involved.

listermint wrote: »
    Your as humorous as...... em.... nope got nothing. You lack humor.

As an side i think Vodafone have enough worries on their plate presently with static growth and massive losses in many of its european divisions. It may not be a brand you want to be associated with next year.
    Its amazing I done so well to last this long with your guiding words. As for Vodafone, I'm sure a multinational corporation will do just fine. regardless, Dublin GAA has their money, they'll be happy enough to keep suckling at the teat for as long as they can, and who would blame them. Many counties would kill to be have such a generous benefactor.

Nail meet head.

Anyway, this seems to have gone far enough, my point is made.

Fair points, but I don't agree with your emphasis on the finances being the source of the upswing. The upswing had started well before Vodafone got involved.

I didn't say it started with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭kksaints

Ok I just used the Dublin Gaa example as it was the one being talked about. I have no issue with Dublin Gaa.
    You mention about counties changing the image in relation to sponsors. Another issue is county boards changing the crests of counties what is your view on this? Im from a county who changed their crest a few years ago. Now this is a big image change aswell but is a Gaa sanctioned one to help make the county more money re merchandise. Can I get an opinion from you on this?
    Re your other post I needed a reminder of what the Dublin jersey looked like. I dont remember what every jersey exactly looked like.

Now your other point about the pro and amateur sports. Do amateur sports have less responsibility? While they dont pay the players there is still the costs of keeping things going and funding new facilities. They might need less money but they still need it. Also to maximise sponsorship income should be the aim of every board.

The second last point the county does have the choice to choose what it put on the jersey but the point Im making is that once the deal has been agreed why should the sponsor change the logo. Also Vodafone ireland would have to make sure it uses the same logo on everything it does as it has an obvious and recgonisible brand image. Changing the logo for the jersey would dilute its image and very few companies would agree to that.

The Undertone reference is about how they kept playing the undertones after Derry City scored and before the cup final. Your undertones reference brought up bad memories:(.

About the jerseys the Tyrone one is alright and the Meath jersey is quite nice.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

the reason the crests were changed were so that they could be copyrighted - Croke Park were told that the old ones could not be copyrighted

the reason the crests were changed were so that they could be copyrighted - Croke Park were told that the old ones could not be copyrighted
    Yes. Didn't Kilkenny and Tipperary use the same crest for years? Hard to copyright that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Now your other point about the pro and amateur sports. Do amateur sports have less responsibility? While they dont pay the players there is still the costs of keeping things going and funding new facilities. They might need less money but they still need it. Also to maximise sponsorship income should be the aim of every board.

Key point here - when you look at some of the counties in trouble financially you would wonder if they done enough during the boom years to maximise their income from sponsorship. Take a look at Kildare and the financial trouble they are having, aligned with the lack of a fit for purpose county ground and the difference between that and a county like Cavan who went further than any other county and handed over naming rights to the county ground to Kingspan for 10 years for €400,000 - the money than was made from that sponsorship has left us with a county ground and ancillary facilities that it the envy of most other counties in Ireland - so while I'm not advocating this model for every county, I know which model I would prefer.

I keep getting updates for this thread and i log in with great hope of another county having unveiled a bright new number for 2013 but instead its just bickering and bitching the last week with a few.

Ok guys ye disagree with each other fair enough, learn to agree to disagree and move on because im fed up with my hopes being dashed :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    O'Neills use five stripes and not three! Well to everybody's eyes, mine included, it looks like three. There are really technically only three stripes. However, O'Neills insist that the two in the middle are counted as stripes. That is how they won their legal case many years ago when Adidas took a case against them for using the 'three' stripes design.

Ahh right, I thought it was a combination of:
    1. Adidas thinking a trademark in the UK covered Ireland (same way Diesel jeans and others have been caught out in the past)
    2. Prior use of the 3 the 5 stripes on the shorts

Advertisement