Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Jerseys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

Newly addicted GAA person here. Just want to ask are the jerseys on the o neills site all the 2013 ones? And also when it says 'as low as.. ' under the price, what does that mean?

Newly addicted GAA person here. Just want to ask are the jerseys on the o neills site all the 2013 ones? And also when it says 'as low as.. ' under the price, what does that mean?

It is the price of the lowest size available normally but that sentence 'as low as' is merely a marketing tool to draw customers in. I can remember they used quote the lowest price but when you 'added to cart' you got the price of the size you required.

there wont be a new shirt tipp just sponsor change.

jesus i was sure the deal was worth more than 100,000 per year.

That's not set in stone. If a new sponsor comes in they will no doubt want some exposure so they will want a new jersey introduced. That said, the counter argument is that if they do bring out a new kit one year after the last then the risk is that few if anyone will purchase it given the economic climate.
    Another factor is that is there is little you can do with the Kildare shirt :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

As tipp gunner said, the "as low as" probably won't be the price you pay. I find this price is usually the one for kids' jerseys.
    Whether they're the 2013 ones or not depends on whether the county is bringing out a new jersey for 2013 or not. If the price of the jersey on the website is €60, chances are that will be the 2013 one. If the jersey is marked "Special Price" (as the Tyrone and Down ones are at the moment), there will probably be a new one out for 2013. What jersey(s) were you considering buying out of interest?
    Welcome along :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

How come Dublin have a big multi national pumping millions into their game yet some fairly big counties are struggling to get why decent sponsors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

TheTwiz wrote: »
    How come Dublin have a big multi national pumping millions into their game yet some fairly big counties are struggling to get why decent sponsors?
    Population
    Dublin 1,045,769
    Rest of Ireland 3,441,231

A lot of the population wouldn't be from the county or the actual country

A lot of the population wouldn't be from the county or the actual country
    Much the same as can be the case with other cities around Ireland, yet the sheer volume still outweighs any other county. Also the Dublin person believes the Dublin jersey to be a fashion item, the sheer sales volume backs this up and makes it an enviable brand to be associated with.

Much the same as can be the case with other cities around Ireland, yet the sheer volume still outweighs any other county. Also the Dublin person believes the Dublin jersey to be a fashion item, the sheer sales volume backs this up and makes it an enviable brand to be associated with.

Do you think Bernard Brogan posing with models on Grafton St for the tabloids helps "Brand Dublin"

Do you think Bernard Brogan posing with models on Grafton St for the tabloids helps "Brand Dublin"
    You think it doesn't? Its the shoes I'd worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Alphonso

Vodafone are giving Dublin GAA millions to have their logo on the jersey.
    What are they seriously going to do? I wish people would realise how ridiculous they sound. It's just a sponsor and a jersey. By far the most lucrative sponsor in GAA history too
    Couldn't agree more. Its a win-win situation. Without such a lucrative deal such a training and preparation infrastructure couldnt be put in place or at least it would be a struggle. Dublin are in a fortunate position being as marketable as they are.

You'd be better off thanking god almighty to have a sponsor of Vodafones decency. Change their logo, aye, they'll do that for Dublin GAA.

I'll try to spell this out more clearly.
    1. I don't have the belief that money/sponsorship is everything and that teams should sell their image to the point where the sponsor spoils it.
    2. I don't like the Vodafone logo and I believe it spoils the Dublin jersey/image in various ways. That's my opinion and I don't expect many to agree with it. However I do know that I have haven't heard more than two or three people out of many stating that they like, let alone love that logo, for itself.
    Incidentally I wasn't mad about some of the Arnotts logos and jersey designs either, some were awful. I cut them a slight bit more slack for being an Irish company (at one stage!) though I accept Vodafone employ alot of people here.
    3. No, it's not "just a sponsor and a jersey" - the Dublin jersey, like all other counties, has been around a long time, it changed in the early seventies to a stronger blue with the navy, but nearly everyone agreed it was a good change. Since that point the Dublin jersey became a hugely desirable image, and a source of immense pride to those who wear it.

At that stage (the 1970s) Vodafone were probably just a glint in some business entrepreneur's eye. Nothing wrong wiht that, just putting things in perspective.
    Vodafone might go out of business or be consumed by a Chinese or Indian global (if not already?) any day, but the Dublin jersey will still be what it is, for a long time. The jerseys are a hugely important part of the image of the team/county.
    Not everything should be for sale to the point of allowing sponsors to make such large changes. In other words, I'd want a little less money, and a little more control over the image, especially when my team/county is in a strong position, as it currently is.
    And people will not be "realising how ridiculous they sound" just because they have a different opinion to you and/or because you don't understand their opinion.
    Come back to me when you have learned to respect other posters and make arguments based on discussion/info/opinions and not derogatory remarks.
    4. It is so self evident as to need no pointing out (therefore I didn't) that the sponsorship is massively important. But some people feel the need to state the obvious so there you go. It does not mean that stating the obvious precludes all other points of view, aspects, nuances and details within and around the broader truth/generally accepted situation.
    5. No, we here in Dublin will not be "thanking god almighty" that we have this sponsorship. Very pleased yes, somewhat grateful, yes. But the more important aspect here is that Dublin earned that sponsorship by being the marketable image/brand or whatever that they achieved since the 1970s and before, due to history, achievements etc etc.
    And due to having come up with a great-looking mix of colours. This was all achieved with the help/business relationship of the GAA and O'Neills, and to them I thank God Almighty for what we have to be proud of here in Ireland.

Vodafone, like all sponsors are helping to carry on what has been achieved, and bring it to the level it is currently at, able to compete with the brands of major pro sports. For that also I am very grateful.
    But there it ends, the sponsors have their place, but it is they who should really be truly thanking God almighty that they get the chance to be associated with really prestigious sporting and cultural images (in Ireland at least) such as the Dublin GAA jersey.
    Sometimes I feel we need to stop kow-towing to our perceived masters and show some real pride and belief in what we have and who we are as a nation. We have earned the right to stand tall and not sell ourselves short to anyone.

And whatever else happens, and whatever we may or may not agree on, one thing and one thing only really makes any of this possible - the people who play, who train, who organise, who support, who are fans etc etc. They get nothing more than pride or satisfaction or a sense of service, for the most part. Everything else is secondary.

but it is they who should really be truly thanking God almighty that they get the chance to be associated with incredibly prestigious images (in Ireland at least) such as the Dublin GAA jersey.
    Fuccking hell 21.gif

"Fuccking hell 21.gif

..........I can't spell!" :rolleyes:

Population
    Dublin 1,045,769
    Rest of Ireland 3,441,231

While i agree with your sentiment your data is out of date. Ireland has a population of 4.6 million while Co. Dublin has 1.2m of that population. That is according to Census 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Good man Al - although I don't agree with everything said, there's only one man says it like yourself!! :D

And don't worry about the goading - best ignored!! ;)

Alphonso wrote: »
    ..........I can't spell!" :rolleyes:
    Sorry to hear that pal, I didn't want to point out those spelling errors in your post for fear of offending you but if you're willing to admit them yourself, then that's a wonderful first step. However I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, this is the internet and spelling mistakes are generally forgiven, save for the odd pedant.

But getting back to your original point my reply stands 21.gif

I do admire your delusion and commend you for expressing it. Rock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭kksaints

Alphonso wrote: »
    Vodafone are giving Dublin GAA millions to have their logo on the jersey.

I'll try to spell this out more clearly.
    1. I don't have the belief that money/sponsorship is everything and that teams should sell their image to the point where the sponsor spoils it.
    2. I don't like the Vodafone logo and I believe it spoils the Dublin jersey/image in various ways. That's my opinion and I don't expect many to agree with it. However I do know that I have haven't heard more than two or three people out of many stating that they like, let alone love that logo, for itself.
    Incidentally I wasn't mad about some of the Arnotts logos and jersey designs either, some were awful. I cut them a slight bit more slack for being an Irish company (at one stage!) though I accept Vodafone employ alot of people here.
    3. No, it's not "just a sponsor and a jersey" - the Dublin jersey, like all other counties, has been around a long time, it changed in the early seventies to a stronger blue with the navy, but nearly everyone agreed it was a good change. Since that point the Dublin jersey became a hugely desirable image, and a source of immense pride to those who wear it.

At that stage (the 1970s) Vodafone were probably just a glint in some business entrepreneur's eye. Nothing wrong wiht that, just putting things in perspective.
    Vodafone might go out of business or be consumed by a Chinese or Indian global (if not already?) any day, but the Dublin jersey will still be what it is, for a long time. The jerseys are a hugely important part of the image of the team/county.
    Not everything should be for sale to the point of allowing sponsors to make such large changes. In other words, I'd want a little less money, and a little more control over the image, especially when my team/county is in a strong position, as it currently is.
    And people will not be "realising how ridiculous they sound" just because they have a different opinion to you and/or because you don't understand their opinion.
    Come back to me when you have learned to respect other posters and make arguments based on discussion/info/opinions and not derogatory remarks.
    4. It is so self evident as to need no pointing out (therefore I didn't) that the sponsorship is massively important. But some people feel the need to state the obvious so there you go. It does not mean that stating the obvious precludes all other points of view, aspects, nuances and details within and around the broader truth/generally accepted situation.
    5. No, we here in Dublin will not be "thanking god almighty" that we have this sponsorship. Very pleased yes, somewhat grateful, yes. But the more important aspect here is that Dublin earned that sponsorship by being the marketable image/brand or whatever that they achieved since the 1970s and before, due to history, achievements etc etc.
    And due to having come up with a great-looking mix of colours. This was all achieved with the help/business relationship of the GAA and O'Neills, and to them I thank God Almighty for what we have to be proud of here in Ireland.

Vodafone, like all sponsors are helping to carry on what has been achieved, and bring it to the level it is currently at, able to compete with the brands of major pro sports. For that also I am very grateful.
    But there it ends, the sponsors have their place, but it is they who should really be truly thanking God almighty that they get the chance to be associated with really prestigious sporting and cultural images (in Ireland at least) such as the Dublin GAA jersey.
    Sometimes I feel we need to stop kow-towing to our perceived masters and show some real pride and belief in what we have and who we are as a nation. We have earned the right to stand tall and not sell ourselves short to anyone.

And whatever else happens, and whatever we may or may not agree on, one thing and one thing only really makes any of this possible - the people who play, who train, who organise, who support, who are fans etc etc. They get nothing more than pride or satisfaction or a sense of service, for the most part. Everything else is secondary.

Wow. Never seen such arrogence and a lack of reality in a post before. Vodafone in total is worth almost $90 billion. Why on earth should they be so thankfully for getting the names on a jersey in a small market such as Ireland. If anything Dublin Gaa should be thankfully for getting such a world renowned brand to sponsor their teams for €1 million a year.

kksaints wrote: »
    Wow. Never seen such arrogence and a lack of reality in a post before. Vodafone in total is worth almost $90 billion. Why on earth should they be so thankfully for getting the names on a jersey in a small market such as Ireland. If anything Dublin Gaa should be thankfully for getting such a world renowned brand to sponsor their teams for €1 million a year.
    Sssshhhh, mate, this is Dublin GAA here, they're a bigger and more prestigious brand than a NINETY BILLION DOLLAR Multinational Corporation 21.gif

Sssshhhh, mate, this is Dublin GAA here, they're a bigger and more prestigious brand than a NINETY BILLION DOLLAR Multinational Corporation 21.gif

In that guys wildest fantasy yeah. I remember reading a quote by Ron Dennis who was principal of Mclaren F1 team and he said its unrealistic to expect the sponsor who is worth far more than the team to bow down before the team. Mclaren F1 would be worth a lot more than Dublin Gaa and F1 would be a lot bigger than the Gaa as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Isn't it great to see a thread about jerseys descend into a debate on Dublin..........................

And anyway, Vodafone sponsored Clare first (when they took over Eircell) so they have been sponsoring GAA teams since they came to Ireland

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Isn't it great to see a thread about jerseys descend into a debate on Dublin..........................

And anyway, Vodafone sponsored Clare first (when they took over Eircell) so they have been sponsoring GAA teams since they came to Ireland
    Exactly. The Vodafone looked quite smart on that Clare shirt iirc. The treatement of POD wasn't the best however, but that's obviously been all fixed up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Mclaren F1 would be worth a lot more than Dublin Gaa and F1 would be a lot bigger than the Gaa as well.

In monetary terms yes, but in my opinion Dublin GAA and the GAA Itself are worth many times more than the millionaires and billionaires that make up Formula 1, and I wouldn't mind guessing my view would be in the majority in Ireland.

Al is entitled to his point of view and it probably aspires to a situation gone by where the strength of the GAA was based firmly on the efforts of its members and volunteers, and was based on the commitment to the locality and the parish - entirely laudible.

However the reality is that GAA itself has become big business and in that reality the use of sponsors such as Vodafone have become very important to the GAA itself. They and their logos are here to stay. And the fact that a '$90 billion dollar company' such as Vodafone have paid for one of the most lucrative jersey deals in Irish sporting history would suggest that they too recognise the prestige of the Dublin GAA jersey.

Clareman wrote: »

Fair play as i think the thread is going off on a tangent tbh but to be frank , as a Tipperary man i would like to add how much i appreciate Skoda's present input into Tipperary GAA and i only wish results could match the team they bought into.
    Its a tough climate out there with the motor industry being hit big time but theyve put up the money to try help Tipperary be all they can be.

Granted they get exposure and i would say their input greatly influenced the template of jersey we have at present, but i have no problem with that. It's a marriage, there has to be give and take and i think we are getting a good deal regardless of whether or not they slapped their green badge on our shirt.

On the topic of Clare, i remember when Vodafone took over Eircell they continued to sponsor Clare for 3 years. They were a bit less fussy with the branding that time but i don't think the investment was as big as Dublin's.

Quite frankly if i pump huge money into a county board to help them with their training and preparation needs, ensuring the likes of Bernard Brogan gets his expenses for training with the team then the very least i would expect in return is to market my brand as best as they possibly can.

Its hardly Red Bull buying Soccer teams (NY Metrostars and Salzburg) and removing their whole history in fairness now is it.

In monetary terms yes, but in my opinion Dublin GAA and the GAA Itself are worth many times more than the millionaires and billionaires that make up Formula 1, and I wouldn't mind guessing my view would be in the majority in Ireland.

Al is entitled to his point of view and it probably aspires to a situation gone by where the strength of the GAA was based firmly on the efforts of its members and volunteers, and was based on the commitment to the locality and the parish - entirely laudible.

However the reality is that GAA itself has become big business and in that reality the use of sponsors such as Vodafone have become very important to the GAA itself. They and their logos are here to stay. And the fact that a '$90 billion dollar company' such as Vodafone have paid for one of the most lucrative jersey deals in Irish sporting history would suggest that they too recognise the prestige of the Dublin GAA jersey.

I was thinking more worldwide with that part. Also my problem wasnt with the deal itself. It was with the poster thinking that the sponsor should cowtow to the board.
    On another point was that the record sponsorship deal for the Gaa?

Anyway, to get this back on track from yer mans utter delusion, this is Tyrone's new number

A7Q1YCSCQAA-FiG.jpg

Hard to do much with that logo, shocked Hunky Dory's didnt get one of these ladies in for the launch though, missed opportunity and one they should learn from going forward.

Hunky_Dory_02.jpg

Surprised Tyrone didn't take that route either but the problem is Cormac, you'd have the 'Helen Lovejoy' brigade out complaining and pleading with us to think of the children so maybe thats a can of worms the Tyrone board didn't want to open.

There was even enough of a stir two or three years back on here when the Waterford jersey was unveiled.

Fair enough i dont agree that sexism of products is completely and utterly necessary in all cases and while i like to look at a pretty girl as much as the next man, the truth is its more of a bonus having them in the promotion, then an actual selling point to me. Having Roz Purcell, Georgia Salpa, etc; model any future Tipperary shirt wont make the jersey appeal any more or less to me.

I like the Tyrone template. Lack of pin-stripes aside its very like the Antrim template at present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Multi-national companies are usually very very strict with how their brand is transmitted, font, placement, angle, background, all that is very important, once in work I used the company logo and brought it to the front of a Powerpoint presentation on top of a picture, I got a stern warning not to do so again along with details on how exactly the logo was to be used.

I'm not a fan of the Tyrone jersey, I don't know why O'Neills insist on copying Aididas' 3 stripes, I don't like the blue GAA, surely they could have it the same colour as the number, finally, don't like the whole logo background on the jersey, be better with just the brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

As tipp gunner said, the "as low as" probably won't be the price you pay. I find this price is usually the one for kids' jerseys.
    Whether they're the 2013 ones or not depends on whether the county is bringing out a new jersey for 2013 or not. If the price of the jersey on the website is €60, chances are that will be the 2013 one. If the jersey is marked "Special Price" (as the Tyrone and Down ones are at the moment), there will probably be a new one out for 2013. What jersey(s) were you considering buying out of interest?
    Welcome along :)

Dublin :o

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself/your team etc mate. If that's arrogance then we could do with more arrogance in this country.
    I think I explained my points in alot of detail, with plenty of reality thrown in along with an honest sense of what I believe matters. It's all about opinions. Your's differs, but you don't explain in what way, or in any detail whatsoever.
    Your response is to dismiss rather than discuss. If you want to discuss then respond to the points made and avoid generalised dismissals, based on....................what exactly? It takes courage to post your opinions and back them up.
    You obviously didn't really read my post properly either as the few things you did say I had addressed. I did also say that everyone, including me, are grateful for what we have. I assume that would have answered your "should be thankful" point?

And to repeat, nobody should kow-tow to any company, it's a business deal, a trade-off. Vodafone wouldn't be involved if it didn't suit them. And I think you don't understand the nature of markets - the Irish market is the Irish market, regardless of how big other markets abroad are, it's relative, and within that market Dublin GAA is a very desirable image. As is GAA generally. I clarified that point in my post, but you still came out with that comment. Did you read the post??
    Yours' hoping for a good debate, no more, no less.

Advertisement