Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

kildareash wrote: »

I still haven't heard anything back about the combined care...docs sent the form
    In almost 2 months ago! Going to ring them today but do I need any documentation from that for my hospital appt in fri? I wish their was a little handbook you got at the start which explained all this stuff.
    I don't really understand this combined care thing, well I do understand it, but I don't understand who your doctor was sending the form to? I asked my doc about it when I went to my first visit at 5 weeks. She said that yes, I could do it. I got a letter from the dr.'s office a week later saying I had been approved for combined care and then a list of what times I should be with the dr and what times I should be with the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

The Doc told me to drop it in to the local health centre, but then when the receptionists seen the letter in my hand they took it off me and said they wld send it in.

I asked in the docs around Christmas time and they said I'd have it around 14 weeks. I know it's only 2 weeks, but I just want to know whats going on

kildareash wrote: »
    The Doc told me to drop it in to the local health centre, but then when the receptionists seen the letter in my hand they took it off me and said they wld send it in.

I asked in the docs around Christmas time and they said I'd have it around 14 weeks. I know it's only 2 weeks, but I just want to know whats going on
    Maybe I got a letter so quick is because my doctor is part of a medical center...??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I must chase up that combined care thing as I never got a letter back confirming it.

I know they will say see your GP at blah weeks, blah weeks and blah weeks but the next one isn't til 24 weeks. If something comes up in the meantime - ie; fall sick with something - and I need to see them, is this visit free and considered "combined care" or will I have to pay for it? For instance if I have to go into GP at 17weeks because of some illness

Mink wrote: »
    I must chase up that combined care thing as I never got a letter back confirming it.

I know they will say see your GP at blah weeks, blah weeks and blah weeks but the next one isn't til 24 weeks. If something comes up in the meantime - ie; fall sick with something - and I need to see them, is this visit free and considered "combined care" or will I have to pay for it? For instance if I have to go into GP at 17weeks because of some illness
    I don't know...I was wondering the same thing myself, I went to the dr. At 5 weeks but was on a medical card then. So I went to her again at 13 weeks with headaches etc, when leaving the receptionist asked me did I have a medical card, I said no, but that I was pregnant, she said oh, was it one of the free visits, and I just said yeah.
    I was wondering if I'd get a bill afterwards but nothing. Not sure what the protocol is though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I thought all your doctors visits were free when pregnant? I went when i had bleeding and i wasnt scheduled to go and nothing was said.

Well then they must all be free after your first one to confirm the pregnancy. I'll ask if I'm calling them to set an apt (hopefully won't need to go for any reason anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minxy Moo

Hi girls hope your all going well. If your pregnant all the GP visits are definitely free. I've been twice now and both were free. My doc also said that visit will be covered, they don't have to be pre-scheduled appointments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Minxy Moo wrote: »
    Hi girls hope your all going well. If your pregnant all the GP visits are definitely free. I've been twice now and both were free. My doc also said that visit will be covered, they don't have to be pre-scheduled appointments :)

Not necessarily true. I was at doc Monday and i had to pay and it was pregnancy related. I was not happy rang Citizens Information they are well with in their rights to charge you even on the combined care. Its up to the individual doctor involved.

I've had my combined care stuff since I was about 8 weeks: got it all in the post.

cyning wrote: »

I've had my combined care stuff since I was about 8 weeks: got it all in the post.
    what did you get? I just got a letter from my doc saying I was approved and a leaflet saying when I go to the dr.

• Advertisement

I must just be lucky then, Mine are free. If your not happy perhaps new doctor may be in order ? Doesn't sound at all fair that your being charged when pregnant- that's terrible. I even got my first ( pregnancy confirmation) appointment for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Doctor.s shouldn't be charging for visits that are related to pregnancy . Moan for today, pregnancy back is happening. So stiff and achey . Maybe time for a v shaped pillow

silly wrote: »
    what did you get? I just got a letter from my doc saying I was approved and a leaflet saying when I go to the dr.

That's all you get... is the leaflet a thing your the hospital and gp fill out: your family history/previous history/medications/ allergies go on it etc.
    Minxy Moo wrote: »
    I must just be lucky then, Mine are free. If your not happy perhaps new doctor may be in order ? Doesn't sound at all fair that your being charged when pregnant- that's terrible. I even got my first ( pregnancy confirmation) appointment for free.

I just wasn't happy I was charged. My doctor is very good: I just do think it's ridiculous to be charged when your pregnant. Especially considering I have a thyroid problem and I will have to be monitered more closely especially towards the end. It's 6 free appointments on the combined care: starting at 24 weeks, and then if you have certain prescribed health issues they are all free too (like I wasn't charged when I had a bleed and had to go in). I know some doctors don't charge I wish mine didn't :D

I rang the hospital: the reason I hadn't got an appt yet was I had been changed from one consultant to the other: I'll get an appt in the next week or two!

That's all you get... is the leaflet a thing your the hospital and gp fill out: your family history/previous history/medications/ allergies go on it etc.

I just wasn't happy I was charged. My doctor is very good: I just do think it's ridiculous to be charged when your pregnant. Especially considering I have a thyroid problem and I will have to be monitered more closely especially towards the end. It's 6 free appointments on the combined care: starting at 24 weeks, and then if you have certain prescribed health issues they are all free too (like I wasn't charged when I had a bleed and had to go in). I know some doctors don't charge I wish mine didn't :D

I rang the hospital: the reason I hadn't got an appt yet was I had been
    changed from one consultant to the other: I'll get an appt in the next week or
    two!

Ya I'd be furious Grrrr, nothing worse then a greedy doctor!

I have my first scan on March 5th. I got a friend of mine who works at the hospital to check for me. I'm almost 15 weeks and still no letter. Ah well at least I have a date and a time. I will ring and double check when my OH and I get back from OZ. Can't wait for some sunshine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

This is all so confusing :( maybe different health centre areas have different procedures.
    No one in my local health centre seemed to know about it and just gave me another number to ring which rang out.

Java, poor you the back is a b***h. I have a slipped disc in my lower back but it just seems to sporadically affect me. Went to stand up out of the chair last night and I Cldnt straighten up. Was a bit worried coz I was on my own and didn't have the phone handy. But I walked a little bit clinging on to chairs and it soon loosened up.

Kerry General aren't seen anyone untill between 18 and 20 weeks at the moment... unless you have problems. Which is the reason I've had so many scans etc so far... I just really want my husband to see our baby with moving arms and legs and looking not like a blob but like a baby :)

I'd love some sunshine.... I just went outside to retrieve my bin that the lovely binman had left 8 doors down: I nearly froze!! So jealous :P

Hehe :D Count down is on till we fly out on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I'm fairly certain all my appointments are free. Haven't been to the GP in ages though.

I got my results back today for the triple blood test. 1/10,000 chance of having a downs baby and the results for the spina bififida came back very low too. Very happy.

I am so excited: I've been able to put my wedding and engagement rings back on!!! I only got married in Sept and my wedding ring has been off more often than on! So excited! All the swelling gone from my hands: their still bruised but I don't care :) I was so upset having them off.

I am so excited: I've been able to put my wedding and engagement rings back on!!! I only got married in Sept and my wedding ring has been off more often than on! So excited! All the swelling gone from my hands: their still bruised but I don't care :) I was so upset having them off.
    That's great cyning. I'm also a sept bride. It would kill me not to wear my rings, so happy you can wear them again!

• Advertisement

notsobusy wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain all my appointments are free. Haven't been to the GP in ages though.

I got my results back today for the triple blood test. 1/10,000 chance of having a downs baby and the results for the spina bififida came back very low too. Very happy.

Wow that's a good result, the best you can get in fact. I think mine was 1/2100 (up from 1/661 before the tests) which they said was great. That was for downs. For the other main thing they test for - trisomy something something (I can never pronounce or spell it) it was 1/20000 up from 1/1077 before testing. So there was no recommendation for further tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Wow that's a good result, the best you can get in fact. I think mine was 1/2100 (up from 1/661 before the tests) which they said was great. That was for downs. For the other main thing they test for - trisomy something something (I can never pronounce or spell it) it was 1/20000 up from 1/1077 before testing. So there was no recommendation for further tests.

How did you get the results girls? Does the hospital call you, or do you get a letter?

I haven't had any letters from the doc or the hospital apart from my scan appointment, so I'm a bit lost.

are they results from the anomaly scan?

Mine was a private scan (250 euros) called Nuchal Translucency scan (NT) that can only be done between 11.2 to 13.6 weeks (don't ask why!) and it screens for Downs & any serious genetic disorders etc. If your risk comes up where chances are high, then they refer you for an amnio or CVS (where it's more invasive and sample has to be taken from womb to get 100% yes or no result).

It seems very few people do it over here and it's not offered in the hospitals for public patients, some hospitals do it privately. It's often done as routine in other countries. The only exception is if the mother is maybe over 40 and there is history of serious genetic disorders on her or partner's family, then she can get it done public.

But all this stuff like Downs & any other genetic disorders will come up in anomaly scan that everyone's supposed to get at 20-22 weeks public anyway, so you're not really missing out on anything. The anomaly scan also picks up on way more stuff (if it's there) cos baby's much bigger & easier to see.

But all this stuff like Downs & any other genetic disorders will come up in anomaly scan that everyone's supposed to get at 20-22 weeks public anyway, so you're not really missing out on anything. The anomaly scan also picks up on way more stuff (if it's there) cos baby's much bigger & easier to see.
    Oh right. I'm getting the anomaly scan privately (€160) as they don't offer it to public patients in the CUMH!!!
    You only get the once scan in there at 12-14 weeks unless there is a problem.

There is no history of downs or any genetic orders in either of our families but I just really wanted another scan for reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I'm doing the same - my next official scan is not until April.

16 weeks today... baby is 40% of the way here!

I'm surprised at the amount of hospitals that only do one scan. Rotunda seems to be the best for it in that they do your booking scan in and around 12-14 weeks and then the anomaly around 20-22 weeks. Maybe they didn't always but do now.

If they didn't do the 20-22 week scan I'd probably get one done privately as well as seems a long time between 12-14 and then nearly 30 odd weeks to not have a scan.

Are there any smokers on here? I've cut down from 10/15 before preg to 4 now and I'm gradually cutting out one a week now. It's so hard. But aiming to be down to 2 a day next week and then cut it out altogether. Might pick up the Alan Carr book to help with this last stage.

I'm surprised at the amount of hospitals that only do one scan. Rotunda seems to be the best for it in that they do your booking scan in and around 12-14 weeks and then the anomaly around 20-22 weeks. Maybe they didn't always but do now.

If they didn't do the 20-22 week scan I'd probably get one done privately as well as seems a long time between 12-14 and then nearly 30 odd weeks to not have a scan..

I think a lot of it is to do with cut backs here anyway... they don't have as many staff therefore only one scan in "normal" pregnancies. I couldnt have waited until 20-22 weeks for my first scan: especially considering I'd had a miscarraige in the past. I'd have gone for a private scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I had one scan at 14 weeks and they didnt want to see me again till 24 weeks. I missed the window for the nuchal fold test so had the triple blood test done at 15 weeks instead. They also a did a scan. i got it done in newry, paid 108euro and the midwife rang me back a week later with the results. she also advised the anomaly scan which we have booked for 21 weeks. love seeing the scans :-)

I think all hospitals should offer these scans and if they cant offer then the staff should make an effort and tell people they can get these scans done privately. i dont mean to rant but i think the irish hosps are totally backwards medically!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

hi all...
    confused - although it take much these days...
    when i originally went to doc at 5 weeks she signed me up for combined care, but i haven't heard anything back about it since - didn't know i was supposed to get a confirmation letter. am going semi-private at coombe, have had all my appointments there so far, had dating scan and consultant visit. I'm not due back until 20 week scan but the told me to have two check ups with GP before then - so not sure if I've been approved for combined care or is she going to land me with a €60 bill for each visit???
    Did anyone watch 'one born every minute' this week - I was in floods of tears by the end of it - think my hubby thinks I've officially lost the plot!
    Off to buy maternity clothes tomorrow, think it's time to move on from the waistband extenders and bump bands, will keep ye posted if I find any good shops.
    Hope your all well,
    Trions

P.S. Kildareash - hope you're scan went well today....

Advertisement