Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O'Dea "unavailable for comment" Re: political donations story/Expenses

Options
  • 16-11-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Not like Willie O'Dea to be "unavailable for comment" to the local Limerick media. Usually he has a track worn to the door of media outlets.

But according to the Limerick Leader, in relation to this political donations story, "Mr O'Dea was unavailable for comment as the Limerick Leader went to press".

I waited a while before posting this to see if O'Dea would make any comment in a subsequent edition of the paper. however, I have yet to see any response to it by Mr O'Dea.

According to the Limerick Leader Willie O'Dea received €30,909 in political donations over the past twelve years..... "from source including Barringtons Medical Centre, haulier Brioan Cosgrave, consultancy firm OHB and Ballycummin businessman Tim Walsh. It was Mr Walsh who gave Mr O'Dea almost half his declared donations - almost €14,349 between 1999 and 2005."

The article continues "Some of Mr O'Dea's other donors were Fordmount Deevelopments (€1,750)- now effectiively owned by the state - Trinity rooms boss John Cox (€650) and Walsh Aluminium, based in the Ballysimon Road, which donated €1,000.

Mr O'Dea also received a donation from Plassey based company Piercom of €1,000. The founder of the firm, Charles Stanley-Smith, sat on the semi-state Information Society Commission which reported directly to then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern".

The Limerick politicians listed by the Limerick Leader were:

Willie O'Dea (FF) €30,909
    Niall Collins (FF) €16,416
    Peter Power (FF) €10,200
    john Cregan (FF) €7,959
    Michael Noonan (FG) €4,000
    Kieran O'Donnell (FG) €1,055
    Jan O'Sullivan (LAB) €4,810
    Dan Neville (FG)......NO CONTRIBUTIONS

The full article was printed in the Limerick Leader while a shorter, truncated version appears here.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/donations_to_limerick_politicians_are_revealed_1_3173961

willieodeaexpenses.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Fianna Fáil way out in front as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A poll they can top this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Isn't it amazing that we can buy politicians so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Don't worry, he'll be there next week decrying the potholes in his local estate, or the lack of pillars in King John's Castle, or commending the 5 inches of progress the Regen. Project has made so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

So let me get this straight. The most popular polititian in Limerick gets the most donations?

And per year this amounts to €5167 by the way. When you group several years of anything into one figure you can try to make it look big.

I expected him to be raking in hundreds of thousands in political donations from your thread title not a measly 30k over 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Id agree these figures are surprisingly low.

So let me get this straight. The most popular polititian in Limerick gets the most donations?

And per year this amounts to €5167 by the way. When you group several years of anything into one figure you can try to make it look big.

I expected him to be raking in hundreds of thousands in political donations from your thread title not a measly 30k over 6 years.
    Thats 5K a year directly to him.
    I've never gotten a donation from anyone ever. Why does he get them and what, if anything, does he do for it.
    These are just declared donations, not insinuating anything else but that doesnt mean it is all he gets.
    Also, the party fund most of the electioneering so not sure why any party politician should get any private donations at all.

Kinda reminds me of the big non-story that broke about Sean Gallagher.
    In the year that Gallagher allegedly took that 5K for a 5K a seat "dinner" which was an FF fundraiser, FF only took in 12K in donations........
    How did that work out I wonder? Loopholes in the reporting rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Dan Neville always has been the only straight bat in that town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dan Neville always has been the only straight bat in that town.

I know nothing about the man but just realized I was in the same class in school as his son? Tom who appears to be a Councillor.
    From what I recall the lad was pretty honest and of good character too.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Agreed. Petty thread.

Aidric wrote: »
    Agreed. Petty thread.

Is it? Why so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

bullets wrote: »
    I know nothing about the man but just realized I was in the same class in school as his son? Tom who appears to be a Councillor.
    From what I recall the lad was pretty honest and of good character too.

~B

he lives in Sydney now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

kippy wrote: »
    Thats 5K a year directly to him.
    I've never gotten a donation from anyone ever. Why does he get them and what, if anything, does he do for it.
    These are just declared donations, not insinuating anything else but that doesnt mean it is all he gets.
    Also, the party fund most of the electioneering so not sure why any party politician should get any private donations at all.

Kinda reminds me of the big non-story that broke about Sean Gallagher.
    In the year that Gallagher allegedly took that 5K for a 5K a seat "dinner" which was an FF fundraiser, FF only took in 12K in donations........
    How did that work out I wonder? Loopholes in the reporting rules?

Politicians get political donations from companies/wealthy people to fund their campaigns, Generally they don't expect anything for their money, The donations are made to "further the cause" as it were.

Agree with Aidric here, not only is it a petty thread, but was a petty article published in an attempt to blacken the name of a national politician who has done nothing wrong here.

source wrote: »
    Politicians get political donations from companies/wealthy people to fund their campaigns, Generally they don't expect anything for their money, The donations are made to "further the cause" as it were.

Agree with Aidric here, not only is it a petty thread, but was a petty article published in an attempt to blacken the name of a national politician who has done nothing wrong here.
    Ok I appreciate the fact that politicians get donations. Do people actually think this is right however?
    Especially when you consider:
    1. The system is completely open to abuse and I'm sure is abused.
    2. The electoral campaigns are often funded by the party itself (in the case of a party based politician). I mean if thats not the case where does the money go that the party itself fundraises.
    3. This whole "Generally they don't expect anything for their money" is a joke - seriously.
    4. Further whose cause?
    5. Don't sitting ministers/TD's get paid enough as it is without getting donations?

I know of roles in many private and public bodies where the acceptance of gifts of any kind is completely against organisational policy and is a serious matter. And these people dont have the power to make wide ranging and long lasting decisions.

While the thread itself may be petty and pointless, the topic is covers is a very important one and one that we, as an electorate, need to be more aware and wary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭watchingthepols

So you actually think that the Limerick Leader published a "petty article" in an attempt to blacken Willie O'Dea's name.

Interesting.... I thought the Limerick Leader article was a simple statement of fact? But you claim that there is something in their report that attempts to blacken Willie O'Dea's name?

What is it exactly in the article that you think is "blackening" his name? Have they made something up, told lies etc?

BTW, Why do you think Willie O'Dea needed €30,000 in donations while Dan Neville needed €0?

willieodeaexpenses.jpg
    So let me get this straight. The most popular polititian in Limerick ...

Surely you mean the third most popular politician in Limerick? After all, in the last election he was only elected to the third seat, on the sixth count while he was down over 12,500 first preference votes :) Meanwhile Michael Noonan topped the poll & was elected on the first count.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is it? Why so?

There isn't anything remiss here. Political donations are part and parcel of political systems everywhere. Further, the figures here are so small as to be insignificant.

In summary a nothing story ergo petty thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Surely you mean the third most popular politician in Limerick? After all, in the last election he was only elected to the third seat, on the sixth count while he was down over 12,500 first preference votes :) Meanwhile Michael Noonan topped the poll & was elected on the first count.

...during the period 1999 to 2005 to which this whole discussion and thread is about, he was the most popular politician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

...during the period 1999 to 2005 to which this whole discussion and thread is about, he was the most popular politician

Is he still getting into brawls and rows? Seems like the only thing he is good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

2. The electoral campaigns are often funded by the party itself (in the case of a party based politician). I mean if thats not the case where does the money go that the party itself fundraises.

Generally, the party HQ will pay for posters of the leader or party posters but the candidate pays for posters of the individual. Take FG, if they had poster of Kenny or one of Noonan and O'Donnell together then these would probably be paid for by the party. However a poster saying Vote No 1 for Noonan would be paid for my Noonan.

Also, expenses paid to canvassers, the round of drinks in a pub or the tenner to the charity that the candidate would throw around during an election would come from the candidate.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Generally, the party HQ will pay for posters of the leader or party posters but the candidate pays for posters of the individual. Take FG, if they had poster of Kenny or one of Noonan and O'Donnell together then these would probably be paid for by the party. However a poster saying Vote No 1 for Noonan would be paid for my Noonan.

Also, expenses paid to canvassers, the round of drinks in a pub or the tenner to the charity that the candidate would throw around during an election would come from the candidate.
    Are you sure about your facts?
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/election_expenses.html
    (not my main issue) If Mr Noonan wants to pay his way I would suggest he do so out of his own money and not that which has been "donated" to him.

I am actually shocked that people dont see an issue with personal "donations" by, usually business people to sitting politicians when the politican in question has little cash flow issues and has the backing of a major financial party.

http://elaine.ie/2009/01/01/election-funding-system-serves-to-undermine-public-trust/

I care deeply about where the politician manages to find that money to buy the round of drinks, especially if he is a winning politician.
    No one gives me a donation to buy my mates a pint after a long week at work, indeed I am expected to pay for all of what you mention out of my own pocket.
    This would probably be especially so were I a sitting government minister on over 100K a year with all the expenses and perks that go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you sure about your facts?
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/national_elections/election_expenses.html
    (not my main issue) If Mr Noonan wants to pay his way I would suggest he do so out of his own money and not that which has been "donated" to him.

Not 100% sure how it works but I certainly know that candidates have to pay for a lot of their own elction material.

Not sure what you were trying to point out in the link -
    Rules
    •Each political party must appoint a "national agent" who must account for and control all of the party's election expenses. As well as a national agent for each party, each candidate must appoint an "election agent" to control the candidate's expenditure on elections (the candidate can appoint himself or herself).
    •The national agent or election agent must be the person to enter into all contracts that involve spending money on the election, including booking advertisements with the newspapers, etc.
    •Each political party's national agent must deliver a detailed statement to the Standards in Public Office Commission within 56 days after the polling day. The statement must describe all of the expenses incurred by the party.
    Each candidate's election agent must deliver a similar statement setting out the candidate's expenditure. A candidate may allot some of his or her spending limit to his or her party. This must be set out in the statement.
    •Invoices or claims relating to expenditure on elections must be sent to the national or election agents within 45 days after the polling day. If they are claimed after 45 days, the agent cannot pay them.
    •It is an offence for a national or an election agent to spend over the limit or to fail to submit the statement of expenses. It is also an offence to pay an election expense that was not claimed within 45 days after the polling day.
    •Every candidate who is unsuccessful in the Dáil election must deliver a statement of donations within 56 days after the polling day. This statement must give details of any donations above 634.87 euro that the candidate received in relation to the election. Successful candidates will have to make a statement of donations as part of the annual declaration that all TDs must make.
    •No candidate can receive an individual donation greater than 2,539.48 euro for election expenses. No political party can receive an individual donation greater than 6,348.69 euro for election expenses.

So basically no one on this thread has an issue with political figures receiving private donations?
    It's no wonder we're rightly screwed.
    (candidates may also claim back upto 8K of their election expenses btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

So you actually think that the Limerick Leader published a "petty article" in an attempt to blacken Willie O'Dea's name.

Interesting.... I thought the Limerick Leader article was a simple statement of fact? But you claim that there is something in their report that attempts to blacken Willie O'Dea's name?

What is it exactly in the article that you think is "blackening" his name? Have they made something up, told lies etc?

BTW, Why do you think Willie O'Dea needed €30,000 in donations while Dan Neville needed €0?

willieodeaexpenses.jpg

Yes it may be a statement of fact, but why only Fianna Fail politicians? A quick google shows that all the parties take political donations, And as has been pointed out, during the time being discussed in this article Willie O'Dea was the most popular politician in this city. So it leads to reason that an article that focuses in on one political party, of which Willie O'Dea at the time was the most popular politician, is making an attempt to blacken the name of the party and politician. (not that FF aren't good enough at doing that themselves).

Willie O'Dea got €30K over a number of years, in political donations, a practice that happens in democracy's worldwide. It's how people finance running for office, "the cause" I mentioned earlier would be whatever political slant the party takes.....nothing nefarious.

People here need to grow up, running for public office costs a lot of money, money that politicians don't have. So in order for politicians to run for office they need money, political donations is how that happens.

I have one question for people who believe this is wrong, What is your alternative?

Yes it may be a statement of fact, but why only Fianna Fail politicians?

The Limerick Leader article covers all the Oireachtas members in Limerick, for all parties during that period but presumably Willie O'Dea and Fianna Fail were highlighted becuase they received by far the most.

I am puzzled though as to why O'Dea would need this money as he was in receipt of a government ministers salary during this period along with all the support staff that came with it. I remember reading someplace that he had six full time civil servants writing letters to his constituents, on his behalf during that period. He had also access to other funds to pay for his leaflets etc.

odea2.jpg

Yes it may be a statement of fact, but why only Fianna Fail politicians? A quick google shows that all the parties take political donations, And as has been pointed out, during the time being discussed in this article Willie O'Dea was the most popular politician in this city. So it leads to reason that an article that focuses in on one political party, of which Willie O'Dea at the time was the most popular politician, is making an attempt to blacken the name of the party and politician. (not that FF aren't good enough at doing that themselves).

Willie O'Dea got €30K over a number of years, in political donations, a practice that happens in democracy's worldwide. It's how people finance running for office, "the cause" I mentioned earlier would be whatever political slant the party takes.....nothing nefarious.

People here need to grow up, running for public office costs a lot of money, money that politicians don't have. So in order for politicians to run for office they need money, political donations is how that happens.

I have one question for people who believe this is wrong, What is your alternative?
    Sure it must be okay if everyone is doing it, right?
    Totally disagree.
    "Money that politicians don't have" FFS pull the fecking other one.

Sure it must be okay if everyone is doing it, right?
    Totally disagree.
    "Money that politicians don't have" FFS pull the fecking other one.

It looks like Fianna Fail have had a Road to Damascus style conversion this morning and now claim that corporate donations are bad.

Hmm, interesting how they have suddenly come to to this conclusion now that they are in the political wilderness & their donations have dried up :)

The link is here.

Fianna Fáil propose corporate donations ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

liammur wrote: »
    [

Is he still getting into brawls and rows? Seems like the only thing he is good at.

Not true. Don't forget his ability to lie and perjure and put journalists' jobs at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Im sure he's done a lot of good work for individuals and communities throughout Limerick but that doesn't make it right. If they want to get serious about this, then all donations should be accounted for, the same way a business would do its tax returns - ie. you see how much they are getting and what exactly the money is being used for

• Advertisement

2011expenses.jpg

According to the recently published "City Voice", Willie O'Dea obtained the highest expenses payment, among Limerick City TDs, for the period between January & September of this year at €40,499

This €40,499 from the tax payer seemingly is in addition to his salary of €92,627.

Other recent money stories that Willie O'Dea featured in were the €54,000 "step down" money he received after resigning in disgrace as Minister for Defence

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365548

and the revelations that among Limerick politicians he had gathered in by far, the largest amount of political donations (€30,909).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056453028

Advertisement