Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Anyone protesting the construction of mobile telephone masts while themselves owning a mobile phone should be legally barred from voting, teaching, posting on the internet, having their words published/broadcast or otherwise disseminating their idiocy.

In fact it should be a criminal offence to knowingly supply anyone that stupid with food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Inheritance tax is fantastic. Socking it to money-grubbers the land over. :) I don't intend leaving an inheritance. They cause nothing but trouble.

Leave it to a donkey santuary and only the asses will be brayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Zorbas wrote: »
    Leave it to a donkey santuary and only the asses will be brayin.

Er, no, I plan to have most of it spent, just like my grandpappy did. Smart guy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think I should be allowed laugh heartily are peoples religious beliefs-
    I don't mean persecute - just laugh.....and maybe point

You are allowed to, and that wouldn't be an unpopular opinion anyway. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Anyone protesting the construction of mobile telephone masts while themselves owning a mobile phone should be legally barred from voting, teaching, posting on the internet, having their words puiblished/broadcast or otherwise disseminating their idiocy.

In fact it should be a criminal offence to knowingly supply anyone that stupid with food.

I work for a phone company and one day a few years back a woman rang to log a complaint that her coverage kept dropping and she wasnt able to send a group text to multiple numbers, the point of the text? to organise a protest to stop a new mast being put up to improve the coverage in the area.

she wanted a callback from a manager, I never logged it though, people that stupid shouldnt be pandered to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I believe that the majority of smokers only start in the first place because they are impressionable, weak-willed and lacking in individuality.

Say that to a smoker however and watch them light up (and I'm not talking about a cigarette).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭TheLynx

The jews are the cause of world problems

1 they killed jesus
    2 Financial crisis eg Rothschild, Goldmann Sachs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

There should be no restrictions on where anyone is allowed to work or live. The idea that Ireland needs to take care of the Irish first is bull$hit; being lucky enough to have been born into a safe, prosperous, 1st World country doesn't give you the exclusive rights to its resources, economy or health system. No one is more entitled to a happy and content life - without fear of genocide, rape or persecution - than anyone else is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    There should be no restrictions on where anyone is allowed to work or live. The idea that Ireland needs to take care of the Irish first is bull$hit; being lucky enough to have been born into a safe, prosperous, 1st World country doesn't give you the exclusive rights to its resources, economy or health system. No one is more entitled to a happy and content life - without fear of genocide, rape or persecution - than anyone else is.

Now that is unpopular. Horsesh*t, but definitely unpopular.

Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Yahew wrote: »
    Now that is unpopular. Horsesh*t, but definitely unpopular.

Kudos.

Hurray for capitalism!! **** everyone else!! Sure the money's the only thing that matters, isn't it?

Maybe it's horse$hit to you but maybe that's also why the world is so unequal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Hurray for capitalism!! **** everyone else!! Sure the money's the only thing that matters, isn't it?

Maybe it's horse$hit to you but maybe that's also why the world is so unequal.

Yes, the capitalists are really opposed to poor people moving to rich countries to reduce the price of labour in those countries.

In fact I never know when I am talking to an Open borders fanatic whether he is a far leftist, or a libertarian. Which is, of course, telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Anyone protesting the construction of windfarms should have their electricity supply withdrawn or failing that be forcibly relocated next door to an oil refinery, open cast slag heap or nuclear waste processing facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Fervent Athiests are just as boring as religious types. Probably more painfully smug too. I don't want to hear your crap any more than I want to hear the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Fervent Athiests are just as boring as religious types. Probably more painfully smug too. I don't want to hear your crap any more than I want to hear the other side.
    I agree that it can be boring but it's important that they do put their point across as religion has had a free ride in this country for years. As long as the vast majority of schools tie in with Catholic traditions to the point that our kids are indoctrinated from a young age it is important that the people with Atheist leanings let people know that there's an alternative. Too many people give the primary religion in their country a mandate by not being informed on alternatives and accepting the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Everyone should be locked in total darkness and complete silence until The Crazy One comes.

They should then debate with The Crazy One until The Crazy One destroys their very soul.

Only then, should they stagger into daylight and take their place amongst humanity. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Anyone protesting the construction of windfarms should have their electricity supply withdrawn or failing that be forcibly relocated next door to an oil refinery, open cast slag heap or nuclear waste processing facility.

Windfarms are one of the greatest green folly since bio diesel, they have not succeeded in taking 1 gram of carbon out of the atmosphere, Denmark to spite having the most windfarms have not being able to close one conventional power station, but had to open a new one, because of the simple reason, wind is here today but gone tomorrow. Also the things only can produce energy 25% of the time, they don't work when the wind is either to strong or to weak.

What windfarms have succeeded in doing is supplying Denmark and Germany with 250,000 jobs, which is why both those countries pushed to have wind power put on the EU charter for energy.

Anyone working in the business will tell you it is utter madness and one of the main reasons Irish power is so expensive because we are subsidising the building of these things. Even if every piece of land in Ireland was used for a wind turbine we still could not close a conventional station. We are being had, taken, bamboozled, but yet we continue to spend massive investment to keep Germans and Danes working.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=der%20spiegel%20windfarms%20do%20nothing&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiegel.de%2Finternational%2Fbusiness%2F0%2C1518%2C606763%2C00.html&ei=ahMlT5S5LoWohAfm2O32BA&usg=AFQjCNETUiy-sO99wXkyMLc0SQiZoz8eRg&cad=rja

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

I agree that it can be boring but it's important that they do put their point across as religion has had a free ride in this country for years. As long as the vast majority of schools tie in with Catholic traditions to the point that our kids are indoctrinated from a young age it is important that the people with Atheist leanings let people know that there's an alternative. Too many people give the primary religion in their country a mandate by not being informed on alternatives and accepting the status quo.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I do think it's gone the other way though, more so in other countries than Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Non national staff may be free to work in Ireland but if they have poor English they should be nowhere near front line customer service

The girl in our local deli realy struggles, I'm as nice as can be, never ever be less the polite but it's slow service having to repeat myself constantly and point at the different trays.

I'm paying full price and it's not good enough, are there no local teenagers around who could do the job?

Why has the owner employed her?

I do the usual Irish thing of never complaining, say nothing and put it on the internet instead :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

TheLynx wrote: »
    The jews are the cause of world problems

1 they killed jesus

Wasn't it part of the Divine Plan that he died to cleanse us of our sins?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The Simpsons is not funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Larianne wrote: »
    The Simpsons is not funny.

In general, or later episodes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

nicebutdim wrote: »
    I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I do think it's gone the other way though, more so in other countries than Ireland

Is it that there is not enough balance of propoganda or that there is not enough propoganda or there is too much propoganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Could never get into U2. A good band but not the conglomerate that they've become. I just dont see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I do the usual Irish thing of never complaining, say nothing and put it on the internet instead :o

People who don't complain should have to live beside open cast slag heaps of radioactive waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'm not particularly bothered by SOPA or ACTA laws. Bigger things going on in this country and the world in general

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I agree with that, but unfortunately there are too many people arguing for atheism who neglect to provide any of the many good arguments for the position, and instead resort to smug mockery and comments like "Hur hur, religion, you believe in a supernatural being!" or "You believe in a zombie who's the son of a sky fairy!"
    I don't see how they think that this will convince religious people. Maybe they think that the thousandth time they hear a smug joke about religion they'll finally realise the folly of their faith.
    Basically they come across as stupid people trying to sound clever, which just makes them seem more stupid.

There are lots of people who sell atheism well, but people like this are not them.

I also hate when they say things like "religion can't prove anything, I believe in science!" without knowing the first things about some of the basic tenets of science and the scientific method.

People who make rational arguments for the benefits of atheism while understanding the appeal of religion (something people like Richard Dawkins in particular seem unable to do) are fine in my book.

But if someone's clearly out to make cheap jokes about religion and make themeselves feel superior, wrapped up in the veneer of religious debate, then I find it hard to take them seriously.
    I also wonder why they weren't so vocal ten years ago when there weren't such prominent public arenas where it was considered the norm to be an atheist and being religious would get you laughed at. I'm sure they were ticking "Catholic" on their census forms then.

Basically, anyone who uses the term "sky fairy" is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I believe all these censorship things popping up are because jews run most of these movie/music companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The ''fighting Irish'' moniker is a load of crap, it was always only a small handful of people who stood up for anything in this country, the rest bend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I agree with that, but unfortunately there are too many people arguing for atheism who neglect to provide any of the many good arguments for the position, and instead resort to smug mockery and comments like "Hur hur, religion, you believe in a supernatural being!" or "You believe in a zombie who's the son of a sky fairy!"
    I don't see how they think that this will convince religious people. Maybe they think that the thousandth time they hear a smug joke about religion they'll finally realise the folly of their faith.
    Basically they come across as stupid people trying to sound clever, which just makes them seem more stupid.

There are lots of people who sell atheism well, but people like this are not them.

I also hate when they say things like "religion can't prove anything, I believe in science!" without knowing the first things about some of the basic tenets of science and the scientific method.

People who make rational arguments for the benefits of atheism while understanding the appeal of religion (something people like Richard Dawkins in particular seem unable to do) are fine in my book.

But if someone's clearly out to make cheap jokes about religion and make themeselves feel superior, wrapped up in the veneer of religious debate, then I find it hard to take them seriously.
    I also wonder why they weren't so vocal ten years ago when there weren't such prominent public arenas where it was considered the norm to be an atheist and being religious would get you laughed at. I'm sure they were ticking "Catholic" on their census forms then.

Basically, anyone who uses the term "sky fairy" is an idiot.

Absolutely. I'm not certain that many of the people who make the sky daddy comments are people who are interested in having a debate. They've read The God Delusion and that is it for them.

While it is a terrible soundbite, people can "believe in science" more than they do religion without understanding how Schroedinger's thought experiment works. They don't need to know how chemotherapy works to know that it helped to cure their friend. People can believe in the ability of science to change things without knowing how it works fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

In general, or later episodes?

Well I've only watched a few episodes. Not sure if new or old - let's just say in general its not funny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement