Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to rollies !

Options
  • 14-11-2011 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hey I want to start rolling my own cigarettes , I smoke about 60-80 silk cut purple a week but cant afford to any more. I have never bought rolling tobacco before and havent a clue where to start ! None of my friends really smoke so I cant ask them as obviously none of them roll ! I only ever smoked a rollie once a few months ago I think it was Old Holborn , it was lovely ! What price can I expect to pay , how many cigarettes can I get from a pouch ? and what exactly do i need??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Samson is my favourite rolling tobacco. €8 something for 25G pouch. Quantity depends on how thick you roll them. 25G pouch generally lasts me 4 days.

I would smoke between 20 and 30 Benson a day if smoking regular cigarettes so savings are huge.

You need skins, tobacco and filters if you prefer them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Skins (papers): red or green packets are thick paper, blue is light, and black and grey are very light.

Like cigarettes, there are various different brands/tastes. Added to this, the filters can be different. personally like the rizla or swan filters, but dislike the yellow and black "bull brand" filters.

Finally, if you find the tobacco very dry, throw some fruit into the pouch, such as a bit of an orange peel.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

I used smoke 140 silk cut a week, now i smoke maybe 50grams tobacco a week. I find the slim rizla filters, and a box of amber leaf does the job for me. It only costs me 20quid a week.

Best thing about rollies: roll them thin, they last just as long as cigs, and you waste less tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I buy 3 25g pouches of Golden Virginia at the start of the week for about 25euro, as has been said the savings are massive, used to spend 8.65 a day on smokes which is like 60euro per week, I buy blue skins and the fat rizla filters, tbh I wouldn't go back now if the prices became the same, I've tried nearly every rolling tobacco there is and I find Golden Virgin to be by far the nicest, it's strong enough but it's a smooth smoke, just my two cents.

• Advertisement

I buy 3 25g pouches of Golden Virginia
    If you haven't, try the yellow pack of GV. I find it nicer than the green pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

the_syco wrote: »
    Skins (papers): red or green packets are thick paper, blue is light, and black and grey are very light.

Like cigarettes, there are various different brands/tastes. Added to this, the filters can be different. personally like the rizla or swan filters, but dislike the yellow and black "bull brand" filters.

Finally, if you find the tobacco very dry, throw some fruit into the pouch, such as a bit of an orange peel.

I've never come across anyone who likes the bullbrand filters, they turn to mush after a few drags, swan filters are the same, at least the ones i get here in england are, after half the smoke the filter shrinks and falls out i your not careful. Rizzla filters are by far the best, damn near impossible to buy them in the shops over here tho so i bought a pack of 20 of the ultra slim online for 8 pounds, keeps me happy for the next ten weeks or so.

Also amber leaf, cutters choice or Van Nelle Tobacco when I can get it. Not a fan of the taste of golden virgina or drum, also I think the golden virginia is hard to smoke. Its ok when you get used to it.

Once you start on rolles you'll never go back, even when Im locked on a night out Ill roll my own, people always offer real cgarettes but I decline, the taste is so much nicer unless its a benson black they give me.

I miss benson black

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

brownacid wrote: »

I've never come across anyone who likes the bullbrand filters, they turn to mush after a few drags, swan filters are the same, at least the ones i get here in england are, after half the smoke the filter shrinks and falls out i your not careful. Rizzla filters are by far the best, damn near impossible to buy them in the shops over here tho so i bought a pack of 20 of the ultra slim online for 8 pounds, keeps me happy for the next ten weeks or so.

Also amber leaf, cutters choice or Van Nelle Tobacco when I can get it. Not a fan of the taste of golden virgina or drum, also I think the golden virginia is hard to smoke. Its ok when you get used to it.

Once you start on rolles you'll never go back, even when Im locked on a night out Ill roll my own, people always offer real cgarettes but I decline, the taste is so much nicer unless its a benson black they give me.

I miss benson black

+1 for the Benson Black, such a pity the y were only a limited edition, bring um back!

If you haven't, try the yellow pack of GV. I find it nicer than the green pack.

I haven't tried it, I will though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I smoke the green pack golden virginia as it is the smoothest and nicest of the lot. samson and drum are cut-throat unless you use a filter, i don't use a filter with the green golden as it's mild enough. actually the golden virginia comes in the yellow pack or green pack and they sell this tabacco as well in a 12.5G green box in most shops for €4.20 with rizlas included in the box. nice smooth smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

Might go back onto the aul rollies so much cheaper!, reminds me of my poor youth haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cork_Rocks

LOL yes, I am new to rollying I am having a hard time! I think it really is all about practice to be fair.

brownacid wrote: »
    people always offer real cgarettes but I decline, the taste is so much nicer
    I decline cos normal cigs give me a dry throat and sometimes a wheezy cough next morning.
    Cork_Rocks wrote: »
    LOL yes, I am new to rollying I am having a hard time! I think it really is all about practice to be fair.
    Pretty much. Buy 60 skins and 12.5G and keep rolling the same tobacco until you get the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

New to rollies myself...just couldn't justify the money spent on fags anymore, smoke between 10-15 a day ....did the maths and it adds it to whopping sum

bought 12.5g of Amber Leaf on Monday and I've still plenty enough that should see me through to Friday/Saturday...so that's 4.70 euro spent for the week as opposed to 40+...it's a no brainer really, still getting the hang of actual rolling mind....sometimes I can get a perfect round smoke others end up looking like a really bad spliff :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

dogpile wrote: »
    New to rollies myself...
    still getting the hang of actual rolling mind....sometimes I can get a perfect round smoke others end up looking like a really bad spliff

Just wait till you start to try rolling then one-handed. :)

When I rolled I was really anal/OCD about the quality. Had to be straight and evenly rolled, the roach* had to be fingernail long and fitted tight by unscrewing it with the end of an antique Allen clock-key that I used specially for the job.
    Even the roach paper had to be of the right quality, not too thick, not to shiney. Business cards were too thick, advertising flyers too flimsy and the idea of anyone tearing my skins packet would send me into apoplexy. My favourite (and so readily available) roach paper was the Lotto number card things.
    When I open my ciggy case my rollies would look almost factory made in their uniformity.

*Long before the days of your new fangled filters.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I've seen people roll with one hand. A practice I can sadly not do, no matter how hard I try.

I can't say I ever perfected the one handed roll but I could produce something smokable when necessary, and manual dexterity always impresses onlookers. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I'm off the cigs 5 years now, but this talk of rollies(sp?) gives me a goo. I never really liked 'real' cigarettes.I always found the green skins to be far nicer,not too thick, not too likely to rip. True about the roach, it's a case of experimenting to find the perfect material. I preferred Duma half shag, drat, this is the first time I've had a sober hankering for a rollie!Go for it OP, if you are a smoker and looking for a decent,cost efficient smoke they are to be reccommended. Then again-you could just give up!

I'm off the cigs 5 years now, but this talk of rollies(sp?) gives me a goo. I never really liked 'real' cigarettes.I always found the green skins to be far nicer,not too thick, not too likely to rip. True about the roach, it's a case of experimenting to find the perfect material. I preferred Duma half shag, drat, this is the first time I've had a sober hankering for a rollie!Go for it OP, if you are a smoker and looking for a decent,cost efficient smoke they are to be reccommended. Then again-you could just give up!

Mod: Ger, your post was going so well till the last sentence. The forum is a refuge from the barrage of "you should quit" comments that we smokers face on a daily basis and it's in the forum charter that talk or encouragment to quit is not allowed here. We all know what we are doing to ourselves and accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Woops,sorry OldGoat and OP. Genuinely. Still hankering after that rollie though. The smell of regular cig smoke does nothing for me now but the waft of Duma brings me right back. Apologies again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

So times are hard, decided to try rolling my own, went with Golden Virginia yellow packet 25g and blue papers, have to admit I'm enjoying them so far, very nice mellow smoke, getting the hang of rolling them, for the most part they are ok, sometimes they look a little dodgy. Only downside so far is that I seem to smell more of tobacco smoke more than when I was smoking regular cigarettes... Too early to tell if I am going to save alot of money but going by how much tobacco is left in the pouch it'll last me ages so should be much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

Golden Virginia is top shelf for me ,im lazy about having a roach which leads to spiting bits of tobacco around the place without thinking which im sure aint to pleasant to look at,smoking them for years,duma before that, anyone here who smokes rolls and then smokes the odd cigarette find the cigarette foul tasting ? and hard to finish ?

jones 19 wrote: »
    anyone here who smokes rolls and then smokes the odd cigarette find the cigarette foul tasting ? and hard to finish ?
    I find I remove the cigarette butt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

I've been smoking the green Golden Verginia for a while now but just wondering what is the difference between the green & yellow packs? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Been smoking Amber Leaf for 2 years now, can't stand cigarettes (realies) compared to rollies.

My mate brought me back some Camel rolling tobacco from Italy last week, its alright, goes dry very quickly though, and tastes nothing like Camel cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭kevmol88

snollup wrote: »
    I've been smoking the green Golden Verginia for a while now but just wondering what is the difference between the green & yellow packs? :confused:

Smoked a yellow pack last week. Not much of a difference but still prefer the green.

Iain Watkins, UK Trade Communications Manager at Imperial Tobacco described how Golden Virginia Yellow differs from the long-established Golden Virginia Green range: "Golden Virginia Green is made with hand-stripped tobaccos giving it a distinctive quality. New Golden Virginia Yellow is made from a different process, using the finest Virginia tobacco which gives it a smoother taste similar to that of the smoother factory-made cigarette brands."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Virginia

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

hello lads

My mother wants to start on the rolies and shes talkin about a rollin machine to roll them, anyone any experience with rollin machines?, are they any good and where to buy, or is it better to just get good at rollin them.

she smokes 20 plus a day if thats a factor and its the price is why she is changing.

thanks for any advise

tombom112 wrote: »
    hello lads

My mother wants to start on the rolies and shes talkin about a rollin machine to roll them, anyone any experience with rollin machines?, are they any good and where to buy, or is it better to just get good at rollin them.

she smokes 20 plus a day if thats a factor and its the price is why she is changing.

thanks for any advise

I'd only know where to get them around where I live, funnily enough the head shops that are still open would be a good place to start looking. About 10 years ago when I smoked 'long cigarettes' I used a rolling mat, it worked a treat for me. If you have a local tobacconist try there. Google buy a rolling machine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

are they any good and where to buy, or is it better to just get good at rollin them.

I used to use them thy vary , all of them are pretty cheap one i had was iirc was made by the same company that made the skins once you get the hang of them they are easy to use and get the filter in if you want one, the really long one are good if you want to make a foot long and cut it into custom size

i bought mine in shops that sold bongs but you can get them in most cigar shops iirc or try online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

hello lads

thanks for any advise

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9288634/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGifts%7C14417351/c_2/3%7C19780823%7CNovelty+gifts%7C14417403/c_3/4%7Ccat_14417403%7CDrinking+and+smoking+gifts%7C14417408.htm

I think this is the one a friend of mine used to use for special rollies, if i remember correctly you just put in teh skin pre licked and your ingredients(tobacco+filter) and push the lid down, out pops a perfectly rolled smoke. the tin also has space for tobacco storage. I actually meant to buy one a while back when i was driving a lot as it would be great for in the car.

Apart from that after a week of rolling your own you really do start to get the hang of it, it takes me maybe 30 seconds to decide to have a smoke to having it lit. After a few days smoking some un savoury looking creations she'll soon learn the art.

Advertisement