Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventure Races 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

Causeway wrote: »
    Well how did you fair out, did you enjoy it? Next one is only 4 weeks away in Craigavon which should be a bit closer to home. Fair play to you for coming up to the north coast.

Another very enjoyable CCAR event up the north yesterday - better weather and a bit shorter. These races are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Patdel

Lot of good adventure races out there especially Killarney but the cost of these races are very expensive , I have no idea what the breakdown is but but do we really need to get a jersey each time, im sure this would reduce cost significantly
    Killarney this year is €86 for the early bird which seems very expensive to me why the increase on last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

Killarney is an iconic venue and was a great event last year.

There is better value out there, if you look around. For example, the Achill ROAR is €50 and it is always a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Patdel wrote: »
    ...but do we really need to get a jersey each time, im sure this would reduce cost significantly

It actualy wouldn't, race organisers can land these for under €5, so including them makes the entry fee look like better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

On another note, Gaelforce has dropped their plans for the "extreme" race according to a Facebook post a few days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

lgk wrote: »
    It actualy wouldn't, race organisers can land these for under €5, so including them makes the entry fee look like better value.

Would love to know were you got that info from.

On the cost of the races the CCAR events don't offer any fancy tech t-shirts or cycle jerseys but we do lay on a good spread of food afterwards and a load of tasks with-in a race. The cost €42 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Causeway wrote: »
    Would love to know were you got that info from.

On the cost of the races the CCAR events don't offer any fancy tech t-shirts or cycle jerseys but we do lay on a good spread of food afterwards and a load of tasks with-in a race. The cost €42 per person.

Hey Ivan, I won't mention his name here, but it was one of the organisers of the bigger multi-sports series. Gets them in from India if I recall correctly.

I'm a big fan of the CCAR races, best organised, best value and most enjoyable races I have ever participated in. Just gutted I've missed the current series through injury. Good to see this is being more widely recognised as well with the big numbers you're getting this year.

Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Not sure if this one has been mentioned in here yet.... Coastal Cancer Challenge is up in Donegal and wil be in the same sort of format as the Gael Force events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Enduro

Patdel wrote: »
    Lot of good adventure races out there especially Killarney but the cost of these races are very expensive , I have no idea what the breakdown is but but do we really need to get a jersey each time, im sure this would reduce cost significantly
    Killarney this year is €86 for the early bird which seems very expensive to me why the increase on last year ?

Most of the adventure races (the real ones) aren't run on a profit making basis. They tend to be run by and for enthusiasts of the sport. Even the big international races rarely make much in the way of profit. Quite the reverse generally.

The multi-sports races (such as the Killarney one mentioned) are all run on a commercial basis. There is nothing wrong with that whatsover, but the result is that they have to make money for the organisers. Otherwise, obviously enough, its not in their interest to organise them. The multi-sports races are much closer to being triathlons than to being proper adventure races, and they seem to be reasonably well priced in comparison.

The only other country that I know of with these multi-sports races is New Zealand. It has the grand-daddy of them all, the Coast to Coast. A kiwi adventure racer friend of mine was telling me last year that the organiser of that race clears a 6 figure profit from the race. Things haven't gotten anywhere near that here yet, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Enduro wrote: »
    The only other country that I know of with these multi-sports races is New Zealand. It has the grand-daddy of them all, the Coast to Coast. A kiwi adventure racer friend of mine was telling me last year that the organiser of that race clears a 6 figure profit from the race. Things haven't gotten anywhere near that here yet, I think.

With the entrance fee working out at around 570 euro you can see why!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

lgk wrote: »
    Hey Ivan, I won't mention his name here, but it was one of the organisers of the bigger multi-sports series. Gets them in from India if I recall correctly.

I'm a big fan of the CCAR races, best organised, best value and most enjoyable races I have ever participated in. Just gutted I've missed the current series through injury. Good to see this is being more widely recognised as well with the big numbers you're getting this year.

Keep it up!

Fair enough, just thought it was something you might have heard through the grapevine and we all know how that can go sometimes.

Glad to hear you're a big fan of the CCAR events, hope you get over your injury soon and we see you back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Interesting article in Irish Times business section on Gaelforce

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0306/1224312841815.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

From the article
    A lot of people are turning to adventure sports because they can’t afford the gym any more and it helps them cope with stress

I'm going wrong somewhere. I've spent a small fortune around the races and Ciara must be based in Westport as she never endured the fun of a Friday afternoon getting to Westport from Dublin say, registering, racking your bike and attaching your gear to it and getting back to Westport to try find a decent dinner !

Advertisement