Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventure Races 2012

Options
  • 13-11-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Folks,

Was looking for a list if adventure races for 2012? Would like to do 5/6. I know Wicklow Roar is may, dingle is June, GF August, Achill Sept, Killarney in October. Is ther any on before Wicklow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

harlequinn adventure duathlon in castlebar,towards end of march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Theres a new one on Run Ireland site called the Lilliput Legend, think its on around end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Found War Glendalough is on in April so that should be one to get going at. Irishtriathlon.com has a good listing if adventure races there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

goalie2 wrote: »
    Found War Glendalough is on in April so that should be one to get going at. Irishtriathlon.com has a good listing if adventure races there.

Yeah - personally speaking I love WAR Glendalough in April and the West Wicklow Roar in May - have done them both the past few years and am already looking forward to the next round...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

You could also check out the CCAR Winter Series, round 1 is sold out but there is still 3 rounds left in the new year. Jan, Feb & March.

www.causewaycoastar.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 norris

was just looking up adventure races and was wondering how do people compare the war glendalough with gaelforce west. i have done gaelforce for the last 3 years but would like to start doing different ones this year

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

norris wrote: »
    was just looking up adventure races and was wondering how do people compare the war glendalough with gaelforce west. i have done gaelforce for the last 3 years but would like to start doing different ones this year
    Did gaelfore west twice and WAR Glendalough last year also. Would rate WAR Glendalough slightly tougher than GF West (esp. the bike legs). Great event to get you motivated for training early next year. Very well run event, and can get there, race and back the same day if you live around Dublin. Better value in entry fee than GF also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 norris

Q7 wrote: »
    Did gaelfore west twice and WAR Glendalough last year also. Would rate WAR Glendalough slightly tougher than GF West (esp. the bike legs). Great event to get you motivated for training early next year. Very well run event, and can get there, race and back the same day if you live around Dublin. Better value in entry fee than GF also.

thanks for that. If you are travelling up from cork , where is a good place to stay. Ther would be 3 of us i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

norris wrote: »
    thanks for that. If you are travelling up from cork , where is a good place to stay. There would be 3 of us i'd say
    Best bet would be a B&B around Laragh. That's were the parking is - it's about 3km from there to the bike drop & start area. Nice cycle warm up :). You could probably make it back down to Cork after the race, if the leg are up to driving, or else stay another night and go on the beer. :D
    If your there the night before I think you can register and get your numbers, t-shirt, etc - it's some hotel near Laragh. Otherwise last year you needed to register in Dublin a few days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

<mod>
    The thread on Glendalough WAR was closed. That doesn't mean you move the discussion into a different thread, it means you don't discuss it in this forum.
    Any questions, PM me or another mod
    </mod>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Here's another. I was thinking of giving this a try this year.

http://www.waterfordadventurerace.com/dungarvan.shtml

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

My 2012 Race calendar (first draft!) is at MSAI Calendar

2012 Nat Adv Race Series List Here

There will be 12 events in both the Sport and Expert categories in 2012 with separate points awarded to top 100 finishers in men's and women's races.
    100 points for 1st, 99 for 2nd, etc

Your best 5 results will count so the more races you do the better chance you have to improve your series ranking and allow your worst results to be disregarded

See you at the races - No excuses n all dat ;)

its a pity that harlequin is gone from the series, but i see theres a new one in cong, so thats still 5 in mayo so i cant complain,
    just an idea but to enter 5 races costs a fair bit, i wonder is there any way that a discount could be offered for multiple entries , ie enter 5 races and get a percentage off the total, i know with different organisers that itd be a tricky one to organise, or else discount codes for the next race in the series offered when you sign up for a race.. i dunno, there are probably better ideas out there, but 5 races = 250-300 odd so some little concession would be nice ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 puckfada

Plus accomodation because you have to reg the evening before and food and petrol so you are adding an extra €80+ on top of each entry.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You can register for most races on the morning, except for gaelforce.

or sea to summit,

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I came across this website recently on Run Ireland. I haven't ran any races with this company before but the races seem similar in style to Gaelforce and the like. There's also a marathon & ultra on offer.

http://www.extremenorthevents.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

You could also chance the Headless Horseman on Easter Sunday 8th April. www.hhar.ie. I believe there is going to be an on street after party after....could be good fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Just spotted this advertised on the IMRA site. A 24 HR adventure race in Roundwood Co Wicklow on 31 March-1 April. http://www.shamrockar.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

carrielou wrote: »
    You could also chance the Headless Horseman on Easter Sunday 8th April. www.hhar.ie. I believe there is going to be an on street after party after....could be good fun :)

Hey have you done this event? My OH is thinking about it with her mate and I just wanted to get some feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

No, haven't done it myself but a few buddies have and they thoroughly enjoyed it last year, really well organised and run and i believe the town is gonna have a festival for the whole weekend including live music on outside stages for the after party ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

Rinker wrote: »
    Just spotted this advertised on the IMRA site. A 24 HR adventure race in Roundwood Co Wicklow on 31 March-1 April. http://www.shamrockar.org/

It's great to see more adventure races. I'm trying my first CCAR this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

hi to all, was just looking for a challenge for myself this yr and came across the war race in glendalough that was mentioned in this thread? just wondering what people's experiences were regarding it and what theyd recommend to do in preparation for it? the running isn't prob, i could last the longer one no bother but just wondering bout the cycle part of things? im no stranger to the bike but don't know if id b pushing it too much on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

roseybear wrote: »
    hi to all, was just looking for a challenge for myself this yr and came across the war race in glendalough that was mentioned in this thread?

Shhh!!!!... Don't mention the war!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

haha now i really want to do it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

former wrote: »
    I'm trying my first CCAR this weekend.

Well how did you fair out, did you enjoy it? Next one is only 4 weeks away in Craigavon which should be a bit closer to home. Fair play to you for coming up to the north coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

roseybear wrote: »

haha now i really want to do it :p

are you sure about that?

"don't mention the war" probably doesn't mean what you think here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

Causeway wrote: »
    Well how did you fair out, did you enjoy it? Next one is only 4 weeks away in Craigavon which should be a bit closer to home. Fair play to you for coming up to the north coast.

It was brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

First of all there's the team element. We were both buzzing on the drive home reviewing everything that happened during the day.

The race took a good bit longer than I expected - there were many orienteering controls and obviously a lot of thought and work had gone into the organisation.

Biking through the muck was such a laugh!

We'll definitely be back for more next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kickbox1

Hi guys, sorry to butt in on the conversation but i have completed 3 full marathons, 3 halfs along with a couple of 10k. I also competed in the "sea 2 summit" last November and would love to do more adventure races. Can't swim (something i aim to put right this year). I am going to enter the harlequin in march and aim to do gaelforce this year, with long term plans to complete a half iron man. Struggling with my running since before cork marathon last year (ran a pb 3.50:o) before crashing in dublin with a horrible 4.17:mad:. So not super fast by any standards especially on this site (was embarrased about posting times). Looking for any advice e could offer me in terms of races or training. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 franky1

goalie2 wrote: »
    Folks,

Was looking for a list if adventure races for 2012? Would like to do 5/6. I know Wicklow Roar is may, dingle is June, GF August, Achill Sept, Killarney in October. Is ther any on before Wicklow?

Yes Lilliput Legend is a new one on 7th of July. They are offering Kick as 65kmor bad ass 45. At €50 entry its the cheapets around and they are offering hot meal, free camping etc for the event. Chek it out at www.lilliputlegend.com It is only an hour from Dublin just outside Mullingar

Advertisement